PDA

View Full Version : Interesting stats I've compiled, and comparison to the mighty Giants

KBF
10-26-2006, 01:20 AM
After 12 games, the Blazers are currently holding the opposition to 19.8 shots per game and 30.4 shots for per game

Are averaging 3.5 goals per game. and the opposition too 2.9 goals per game.

Quality of teams they've played to this point, the opposition has 58 wins and 53 losses combined.

Now the mighty Giants.

After 13 games they are holding the opposition to 18.42 shots on goal and averaging 33.4 shots on goal for per game.

Giants are holding the opposition to 1.42 goals per game and scoring 4.83 goals per game.

Quality of teams they've played's records combined 40-51

Swando
10-26-2006, 01:46 AM
Very intersting stat.. Thanks. I noted in another thread that I thot the Giants played their toughest opponent tonight in the Wheat Kings.3-2 SOW In saying this I also stated that I think that the quality of talent is down...from what the Giants have played....Maybe the Giants are that good? or maybe they have yet to play the Everetts, TriCitys , MH etc have you? Junior Hockey is cyclical --next year in the Dub could be powerful ( not saying it is not now) but as an example of year to year etc.. Just as NHL drafts are so different year to year.

Beaner
10-26-2006, 08:22 AM
Interesting Stats KBF.

It looks like the Blazers have dramatically improved their game, currently on pace for 96 points, a 23 point increase from last year. Still early yet, I usually like to wait to about 25 games in before I start predicting where teams will end up point wise, but.....

Not having seen them play yet, what has happened to this team from basically the same squad as last year (18 returnees)? Basically the same in terms of WHL turn-over from year to year.

Not that the Blazers were that bad last year, they should have been in the playoffs last year, but silly playoff structure of the WHL screwed them, but thats another for another thread.

The loss of Dubnyk was big but it doesn't seem to have affected the team at all. Has the team realized they have to play the full 60 now and in both ends of the ice because they dont have a big money goalie to bail them out?

Or are we just loking at a Blazer team that has just taken the next step on what was a good year last year and improved? Maybe missing the playoffs last year has lit a fire under their _____, and they arent about to let that happen again this year?

KBF
10-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Just to let you know, I'm in no way trying to say the Blazers are as good as the Giants because there is still ALOT of hockey to be played and these 2 teams haven't even met yet.

As for whats happened with the team, I'm not sure. It could be the addition of several players, Schmermund is a 17 year old rookie who works his ass off, has probably as good of wheels as Macias does to go along with a nice shot.

Ivan Rohac, a rookie 17 year old Slovak who up until last weekend was electric but couldn't find the back of the net, now he has 6 points in his last 3 games and has been simply awesome. You don't see the kind of work ethic he has very often for a euro.

Juusso Puustinen same as Rohac, has a cannon for a shot to go along with good wheels and a very good work ethic. Both euros don't stop working and I think are a real inspiration on their teamates.

The veterans are leading, FINALLY. Jorgensen has been awesome, fighting, scoring, and just showing what being a Blazer Captain is all about. Haven't seen that truly since AJ Baines. Not to mention Delorande, Mason, Dunstall all providing solid secondary scoring.

Right now we are 3rd in PK, and 12th on the PP, so many improvements and the play of Dustin Butler has been very solid because well, he doesn't need to stand on his head with the awesome play of the defence and the forwards coming back.

Overall, the only way they can prove they are with the Giants is if they win the season series and keep up the pace they are going.

CrushKillDestroy
10-26-2006, 02:43 PM
Both Rohac and Schmermund are listed on the WHL website as being born in 1988, making them 18-year old rookies (decent looking ones, at that).

Unbelievable how the players that one follows and watchs for years may not develop as expected, and then some unheralded rookies show up and can have unexpected success in a very short time frame.

Beaner
10-26-2006, 06:01 PM
Guess I'll just have to wait until November the 12th when I can see The Blazers in person. Should be a doozy.

Im wondering who did the schedule this year, having to wait till game #22 to face a division foe seems a bit weird.