PDA

View Full Version : just a Kalus question...

patsdude114
10-27-2006, 04:31 PM
K 1st off before anyone goes into this post I know Kalus isnt coming back this is just more a question involving his status in pro hockey..

With the Penguins having to make a decision on Jordan Staal by Nov.1 to either keep him up in the NHL this season or to send him back to junior, if they keep Staal up this season he will become a unrestricted free agent the same year as Malkin under the new CBA (i believe i read after 7 years pro they become unrestricted free agents) would Petr Kalus fall under that same rule considering he is under contract to the Boston Bruins and now playing pro hockey in the AHL, i know the NHL considers a season in the AHL still pro hockey but does that go against his 7 years before becoming a unrestricted free agent???

My guess would be yes but im not saying that im right, i have emailed the Providence Bruins with this exact same question. If he plays the full year in the AHL and it does count against his free agency years down the road do the Bruins really want both Kalus and Kessel becoming unrestricted free agents in the same year down the road, since the Boston Bruins do have plans with Kalus in them as well as Kessel...

SectionNDeserter
10-27-2006, 05:55 PM
Kalus isn't a key enough guy for them to really worry about his free agency status in seven years from now (and maybe not Kessel either), and even if they did, I am sure they could stagger their contracts in such a way that they wouldn't both be UFA's in the same season. I am guessing that if either player still has their rights held by Boston seven years from now, they are probably going to want to get out of Boston anyways (like everyone else).

patsdude114
10-28-2006, 12:22 PM
ok so if u dont think Kessel is going to be a franchise player who will be then??? im not a Bruins fan by any means (and sounds like ur not either) but Kessel and Kalus r both highly rated prospects in the Bruins organization like it or not.... if Kalus wasnt thought of highly by the Bruins hed be back in junior instead of taking up a roster spot on the farm team..think about it bud before u go blabbing off......Kalus is a 19 yr old who would be back in junior hockey if the Bruins didnt have a plan for him, and yes the Bruins could off center their contracts so there both nor free agents in the same season which could cost the Bruins a chunk of money later on, if they both pan out like the Bruins hope they do.

Back to the Kessel thing if the Bruins didnt want this player to mature as a player and as a person he would not be on the Bruins roster this season hed be back in the NCAA playing

SectionNDeserter
10-28-2006, 12:35 PM
If Kalus were an 'untouchable' player, he probably would have been playing in Boston last season. He is a talented player, and very much a part of their plans, but definately not important enough to worry about what his FA status is in almost a decade from now. There is a big difference between the Crosbys', Ovechkins', and Phaneufs' of the NHL, and the Kalus' is all I am saying.