PDA

View Full Version : Moir Gives Broncos 1-2 Punch

patsfan33
10-27-2006, 10:04 PM
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/article.jsp?content=20061027_082039_4276

Moir gives Broncos 1-2 punch
By Patrick King, Sportsnet.ca

When Swift Current Broncos goaltender Kyle Moir returned for his overage season in the Western Hockey League, it gave the Broncos one of the best one-two goaltending punches in the WHL.

Moir, a fifth-round pick of the Nashville Predators in 2004, did not sign with the Predators and re-entered the 2006 National Hockey League draft. After being undrafted this summer he returned to Swift Current, which Broncos general manager and head coach Dean Chynoweth said was "a good problem for us."

With the emergence of 18-year-old Travis Yonkman and the return of Moir, the Broncos entered the season with an ideal problem. Moir, a two-time Bronco Most Valuable Player, and Yonkman, a Telus Cup champion with the Saskatoon Contacts, have given the Broncos a chance to win this season.

"I think that's a great asset to have," Chynoweth said when asked how important it is to have two strong goaltenders. "They get along, which sometimes is unusual for goaltenders."

"We're good friends and we get along really well," Moir said of his friendship with Yonkman. "He's a good young goalie and he is very skilled. I can see him being a really good goalie in this league."

Broncos captain Myles Rumsey said the duo gives the team a strong advantage over opposing teams.

"They're definitely up to the challenge we faced early on," Rumsey said. "They're facing a lot of shots and they shut the door for us. We relied on them for a lot and it's time for us to start producing more to give them more breaks."

Moir and Yonkman are in the top 10 in most goaltending statistical categories and between the two of them have recorded three shutouts in the first 15 games of the season. While the success Moir has enjoyed this season isn't entirely surprising, he hasn't always been the quickest player out of the gate, Chynoweth said.

"He's notoriously a slow starter and he hasn't been this season; he's played extremely well from the get-go and so has Yonkman," Chynoweth said. "They've given us the goaltending we need to win and (we) got some points in a few games where we maybe didn't deserve them."

Now that he's in his fifth season, all with the Broncos, the club's expectations for Moir are high.

"He has proven in the past he can win games single-handedly," Chynoweth said. "That's the expectation I have, that he's not a good goaltender, he's a great goaltender and he stops all the pucks he should and some he shouldn't."

Moir and Yonkman helped lead the Broncos from the cellar of the Central Division last season and into a playoff spot. After being swept in the first round by the Medicine Hat Tigers, the team is looking to improve on last season.

With the addition of the Chilliwack Bruins to the league this season, the Broncos were moved from the Central Division to the East Division. It's a welcome change for the team as the Central Division is widely regarded as the top division in junior hockey. In addition to the competition, the move has also helped benefit the team financially.

"It was an improvement for our travel and our cost which is something we have to focus on greatly here in Swift Current in the smallest market in the CHL," Chynoweth said.

Even though they're in a new division, the goal has stayed the same.

"Our goal right now is to get in the playoffs," Chynoweth said.

For Moir, this season will be his last chance at realizing a goal.

"I want to go far in the playoffs," he said. "That's the one thing I haven't really done, I've had some good regular seasons personally but I want to have a good playoff year."

If their early season success is any indication, the duo of Moir and Yonkman has the potential to help realize Moir's, and the team's, goal.

Scout
10-28-2006, 11:42 AM
Thats a good write up. As for Yonkman, he not only won The Telus Cup but also earned M.V.P. of the tournament. The nicest problem we have is when Moir moves on we will quickly insert Ian Curtis all 6'5" of him in net. Curtis is one of the most watched and sought after 16 year-olds in the West. He would be playing for The Bronco's this year if Moir hadn't returned.

Scout