PDA

View Full Version : The Chiefs problem IMO.....

90-91
02-20-2005, 11:17 AM
NO KILLER INSTINCT.........How many 3rd. period leads have they given up this year? Good teams put other teams away when they have the lead. Conroys defensive style & shortening the bench while holding a lead obviously hasn't worked. When you're up by 2 don't go into a defensive shell...........put your foot on the gas and beat them by 4 instead of holding onto a 1 goal win or worse yet actually lose the game.
Another example: When they have TCA down by 6 pts, they need to "get up" for the big game & put TCA down by 8 pts. If they let TCA stay close it will bite them in the ass.
With the lack off intensity in most BIG games.......and the lack of coaching :clown: in other games........God help them if they do make the playoffs and the intensity is multiplyed, because this group (coaches on down) aren't ready to make that step.

90-91
02-20-2005, 11:51 AM
In the win against Vancouver I noticed that Conroy :clown: played Stoesz's line the entire game. Maybe he takes fans advise from these boards after all ;)

GoChiefsGo
02-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Last night's game was boring. Half way through the 2nd I couldn't even watch it anymore. Very frustrarting. I wonder if we don't make the playoffs, do you think Conroy will get canned? Maybe losing so much this year will make it better in the years to come. We left the game during the 2nd intermission. I would have liked to see the end but my boyfriend was seeing too much red. Well we get one more chance (and if we're lucky we'll get em this week....last year's game in the TC ended in a 6-2 score. In Spokane it was 4-3...We won it in OT). Here's hoping!!!!

speedkills
02-23-2005, 06:58 PM
but we gotta remember this is a YOUNG team and young teams win games they shouldn't and lose games they should win. Young teams tend to 'let up' (no killer instinct) before the game ends...these should be learning experiences for the boys!

Now, having said this...I DO believe that the team takes on the personality of it's coach (look at Nachbar in Tri). The coaches are responsible for putting the best team they can on the ice, managing the game/players and this includes the psyche of each kid ESPECIALLY at this age/level. It's a young team yes...but I'm far from convinced that Conroy is the right man for the job considering how much potential this team seems to have.

There is a part of me that thinks if the Chiefs miss the playoffs then Speltz will almost HAVE to lose Conroy...but who knows.

Probot
02-24-2005, 07:27 PM
I agree. When you're up on a team, go for the kill. I have seen them fall into the "Everett shell" too much while leading in the third period. They arent a good enough team defensively to do that. He needs to roll all four lines the entire game to keep the top two lines from getting overly tired. Conroy should either be in the front office or coaching in the AHL or ECHL where he is not as resposible for their development. I think he would be a fairly good pro coach.

90-91
02-26-2005, 01:13 PM
Last night's game was boring. Half way through the 2nd I couldn't even watch it anymore. Very frustrarting. I wonder if we don't make the playoffs, do you think Conroy will get canned? Maybe losing so much this year will make it better in the years to come. We left the game during the 2nd intermission. I would have liked to see the end but my boyfriend was seeing too much red. Well we get one more chance (and if we're lucky we'll get em this week....last year's game in the TC ended in a 6-2 score. In Spokane it was 4-3...We won it in OT). Here's hoping!!!!
I think Conroy has one foot out the door already........I don't know about anyone else, but I was absolutely shocked when Speltz brought him back for another year.........but the second year of this contract is the clubs option......I don't think there's any way Conroy :clown: coaches here next year.
How much damage has the last 5 year (Conroy & Ganchar) done to the teams reputation though? I would be interested to know if they've had problems drafting kids......with some kids choosing the college route, instead of having to endure coaching & mgmt. problems in Spoke? :mad:

90-91
02-26-2005, 01:25 PM
but we gotta remember this is a YOUNG team and young teams win games they shouldn't and lose games they should win. Young teams tend to 'let up' (no killer instinct) before the game ends...these should be learning experiences for the boys!

That is one of my concerns.........the young kids play at this level to use it as a stepping stone to get to the AHL or NHL level......the skill of the kids showed at the start of the season, but has slowly tailed off. Bruton looked great a few months ago......but has been almost invisable lately. Mercer looked great when he got here.........but over the last couple of games (last night against Portland esp.) has started to make the same brain dead mistakes some of our vets have made all year. Speaking of kids.........What about Reich? If he has been sitting out due to off ice issues.....someone needs to tell Conroy :clown: that 2 months of time out is probably enough.

90-91
02-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I agree. When you're up on a team, go for the kill. I have seen them fall into the "Everett shell" too much while leading in the third period. They arent a good enough team defensively to do that. He needs to roll all four lines the entire game to keep the top two lines from getting overly tired. Conroy should either be in the front office or coaching in the AHL or ECHL where he is not as resposible for their development. I think he would be a fairly good pro coach.
It's hard to say what kind of coach he is..........I was fairly excited when it was anounced he was coming here..........a former great junior player should know how to relate to junior aged kids. Maybe the great junior player and proven motivator we should be looking at is already on the bench.......Kevin Sawyer........I wonder if Sawyer & Gronborg look at this as much as a joke as we do?

upper level fan
02-26-2005, 01:35 PM
When I was down in Portalnd last friday Reich and Szaszkiewicz were sitting up behind me and I asked them when we would get to see them on the ice again. They both just shrugged there shoulders and said they didnt know. And another thing I noticed last night which Im sure everyone else noticed was Zimmerman thats the most I seen him throw his body around ever and when he jumped that guy against the bench in the first period I about died of heart failure. The only thing was I thought he made more mistakes playing the more physical game. And what was with putting four guys down low and only leaving one defender back??? I guess they were doing there best to try and score. I would have to say Engman was the best d man last night but I dont really think any of them played outstanding. Its like its a rotation on which one is going to play awful.

90-91
02-26-2005, 02:00 PM
When I was down in Portalnd last friday Reich and Szaszkiewicz were sitting up behind me and I asked them when we would get to see them on the ice again. They both just shrugged there shoulders and said they didnt know. And another thing I noticed last night which Im sure everyone else noticed was Zimmerman thats the most I seen him throw his body around ever and when he jumped that guy against the bench in the first period I about died of heart failure. The only thing was I thought he made more mistakes playing the more physical game. And what was with putting four guys down low and only leaving one defender back??? I guess they were doing there best to try and score. I would have to say Engman was the best d man last night but I dont really think any of them played outstanding. Its like its a rotation on which one is going to play awful.
Not only Zimmerman but Klassen gets into a fight?????????? I really think the frustration is starting to show. I got the impression that everyone was trying to do their own thing last night because they dont buy into Conroys :clown: program. My question to Speltz would be why not make the coaching change now? It wouldn't hurt anything.......and it might just save Speltz's job.

upper level fan
02-26-2005, 02:09 PM
Not only Zimmerman but Klassen gets into a fight?????????? I really think the frustration is starting to show. I got the impression that everyone was trying to do their own thing last night because they dont buy into Conroys :clown: program. My question to Speltz would be why not make the coaching change now? It wouldn't hurt anything.......and it might just save Speltz's job.
Ya down in Portland my dad was with me and hes only watched about ten games in the last 6 or 7 years, but he said to me look #10 is going to get into it with that guy and I told him he was pretty much a idiot that Hobson dont fight then a couple seconds later there they are dropping the gloves. I about died then to. But Hobson got it handed to him down there Klassen held his own against a guy who had 7 fighting majors and a whole lot of penalty minutes. I would agree I think there needs to be a coaching change before the end of the year. I think regardless of the outcome that would save some season ticket holders. But i doubt we will see it happening and it wouldnt even shock me if he came back next year either.

90-91
02-26-2005, 02:32 PM
Ya down in Portland my dad was with me and hes only watched about ten games in the last 6 or 7 years, but he said to me look #10 is going to get into it with that guy and I told him he was pretty much a idiot that Hobson dont fight then a couple seconds later there they are dropping the gloves. I about died then to. But Hobson got it handed to him down there Klassen held his own against a guy who had 7 fighting majors and a whole lot of penalty minutes. I would agree I think there needs to be a coaching change before the end of the year. I think regardless of the outcome that would save some season ticket holders. But i doubt we will see it happening and it wouldnt even shock me if he came back next year either.
I took a friend to the game last night, he's only seen about 5 games ever.......but he pointed out everything about Conroy last night that we've been saying for quite a while (Conroy not talking to his players, walking up and down the bench with arms crossed etc, etc, etc).......another thing I wasn't impressed with was........Opsahl getting run over in his crease, and not one Chiefs player bothered to skate over to see if he was OK when he was obviously hurt.........personal feelings aside.........they need to act like a team. Last night they acted like a bunch of individuals out there.......playing for themselves........and playing badly at that :burningma

Probot
02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah... Dubinsky knocked Klassen down on what shouldve been called an interference penalty, and then they found each other and decided to have a go. When your leading scorer and best offensive player fights and nothing happens... it should tell you something. Same thing last year when Schell went with Stanley. While Dubinsky had more experience in the fight department, I remember Klassen feeding him his lunch last year... so Klassen knows how to fight. That was the worst game I have seen a Spokane team play in a long, long time. Lets hope they figure it out tonight and get the 2 points they need.

speedkills
02-28-2005, 06:26 PM
That is one of my concerns.........the young kids play at this level to use it as a stepping stone to get to the AHL or NHL level......the skill of the kids showed at the start of the season, but has slowly tailed off. Bruton looked great a few months ago......but has been almost invisable lately. Mercer looked great when he got here.........but over the last couple of games (last night against Portland esp.) has started to make the same brain dead mistakes some of our vets have made all year. Speaking of kids.........What about Reich? If he has been sitting out due to off ice issues.....someone needs to tell Conroy :clown: that 2 months of time out is probably enough.

I didn't quite put it together this way but I also have noticed that some of the guys that looked great early have tapered off... Seems odd...I'd expect improvement over the course of a season, not diminishing returns. Reich has been sitting out for a long time now...doghouse?...and Sask..whatever...he has been sitting in favor of a LOT of Compton lately. I don't dislike Compton but it seems odd to me that these two, probably two of our most talented forwards are sitting rather consistently now.

On the upside, NED showed some life Saturday night! It was good to see a little emotion from the kid, he really looked like he wanted it Saturday.