PDA

View Full Version : Giants 4 @ Chiefs 1 Oct. 28th

dondo
10-28-2006, 08:25 PM
oh man Chris Savage -- we drew the short straw for the official - and he's already called three penalties -- jackass

rinkrat
10-28-2006, 08:47 PM
Good thread,used to be fun in the chatroom. :D
Shots 18-4 for the good guys...

Beaner
10-28-2006, 10:40 PM
Only listened to the game tonight on the radio, but sounded like another pretty good performance from the Giants that we have seen all year at the Pacific Coliseum.

NOTES
Sexsmith and Tokarski got the starts
Flatters (Head), Dulle, and Bouma were the Giants scratches
Shots 33-17 Giants
PP's Spokane 1/8, Giants 2/9

GOALS
1. VAN Watt, (11) , 1:59 (SH) 4-5, Watt and Reese go in on the 2-1, and Watt rips one in from the top of the circle.
2. VAN Franson, (5) (Kraus, Mikkelson), 0:07 (PP) 5-4, Right off the face-off, Draw to Mikkelson, skates into the zone, cross zone pass to Franson and he beats Tokarski
2. SPO Rutherford, (4) (Blackwater, Grabner), 2:38 (PP) 5-3, Rutherford collects the Grabner rebound and pots it in.
2. VAN Franson, (6) (Reese, Blum), 7:18 (PP) 5-3, And the Franson shot is stopped by the Chiefs netminder, but it just manages to trickle thru.
3. VAN Watt, (12) (Toigo, Reese), 8:00 Reese feeds Watt with a nice pass and Watt beats Tokarski.

FISTICUFFS
Lucic vs. Haw
Sounded like an allright fight with Lucic landing the majority of the hits, with Haw getting a couple in.

OFFICIATING
Savage and Kirk. Called a lot but Joey and Bill werent complaining too much.

OVERALL
Another good game form the Giants according to what I heard on the radio. Hopefully we get some people who watched the game tonight live and online to comment. ;)

Congrats to Nolan Toigo for getting his first point in the WHL tonight.

3 STARS
1. Cody Franson (VAN)
2. JD Watt (VAN)
3. Dustin Tokarski (SPO)

Hunt24
10-28-2006, 10:52 PM
Game recap is up on the site now.

Cheers!

2,5,andagame
10-28-2006, 10:53 PM
1 - VAN Slade, 12:37 - Major-Fighting , 5 min
1 - SPO Haw, 12:37 - Major-Fighting , 5 min

From the WHL website, didn't think it was right, considering Slade didn't even start, but in the past he may have come off the bench.

#27 makes more sense than #37 in the fight department. ;)

Knuckles Muldoon
10-28-2006, 10:54 PM
Sounded like a very solid effort. I was thinking (and Joey & Bill confirmed it), the boys seem to be more focused on the road. Games in Red Deer and Med Hat should be real interesting.

Big Daddy
10-28-2006, 11:13 PM
I watched on the internet. All of the assists are backward. Mik gave the pass to Franson. Blum gave the pass to Franson on the next goal. I didn't think Brutal and Bezerk did all that bad, however this special team crap is getting old. The 5-3 goal that Spokane scored was a breakdown even though we were short 2 men. On any other night that goal wouldn't have been scored against us. The Lucic/Haw fight was a dud, the first half they had each other tied up and by the time they got loose they were against the boards and the linesman broke it up. Lucic later fought a youngster that was sticking up for another puppy but the kid realized what he got himself in to and clung to the linesman behind like he was tasting what he had for lunch.
Overall, a good effort tonight by the guys and Don mixed the lines and pp combos up with decent results.

dondo
10-28-2006, 11:53 PM
They've changed the Slade/Haw thing now on the site (it gave me a laugh) -- I got half-way through writing my re-cap went back and a lot of the stats in the box score etc had been changed -- total shots, PP, and as above I think the assists are still reversed.. lol

I too listened on the radio, so I only have Bill and Joey's word for things, but here's the game as I heard it.

In the end Savage wasn't a major a factor as thought he might be -- thank gawd -- although calling that one from the far-side of the Giants blue-line deep in the Spokane zone still has me shaking my head.

here's my recap -- enjoy.

Giants Pluck Chiefs
Vancouver 4 Spokane 1

The Giants only defeat this young season so far has come on the road in a bizarre OT ending in Seattle. The Vancouver squad maintained that record tonight dominating the Chiefs in their home arena. The teams both drew the short straw in terms of officials as they got Chris Savage and his horrific sense of the game. Savage tried his damnedest to ruin the game tonight, but in the end the two teams showed their mettle and gave the fans a good bout. After defeating perennial BC division foe the Kelowna Rockets handily at the Pacific Coliseum last night the Giants began their longest road trip of the season so far.

The game opened virtually with a penalty as Savage assessed Hunt with a check from behind penalty just 19 secs into the game. The Giants would be the ones who would take advantage, however, as JD Watt while shorthanded stripped the puck off of a Chief in the neutral zone and then stormed the net putting one past highly touted rookie ‘tender Dustin Tokarski. Milan Lucic took on Evan Haw the big D-man from Spokane, in a battle of the big men. Lucic had a few extra shots in the end to marginally take the victory. The teams engaged PPs most of the first and the score remained 1-0 for the Giants after opening period.

The Giants began the second on the PP and were working the puck around the horn quite well tonight, getting off sharper passes than the previous evening and the PP was looking dangerous throughout the first. The Giants scored just 7 secs into the second stanza, as Cody Franson lifted his first of the night past Tokarski. Kraus and Mikkelson got the assists. Spokane would get one back just over two minutes later, on the PP as well, when Canucks top pick Michael Grabner made a beautiful feed to former Giant David Rutherford. Rutherford got it past Tyson Sexsmith for his fourth of the season, at 2:38 of the second. Franson would get that goal back, again on the PP, just under five minutes later in the same period. Putting home a feed from Jason Reese and Jonny Blum, to put the Giants back up by two goals, a lead they would never relinquish in the game.

The Giants salted away the victory in the middle of the third as Watt notched his second of the night, off of some good gritty work by rookie D-man Nolan Toigo and a nice feed from Reese. There was late fight as well in the period that doesn’t seem to be on the official score-sheet, but, J.P. Szaszkiewicz took on Lucic late in the game, they’re calling it roughing but from the sounds of it they dropped the gloves and went toe-to-toe. Lucic was going to get a penalty so when Szaszkiewicz instigated the fight he reluctantly took him on and proceeded to pound him with very little coming back his way. The game would end with the Giants winning 4-1, starting a roll they hope will continue throughout Alberta.

The Giants were 2 for 11 on the PP, while the Chiefs went 1 for 8. Shots were 37-19 in favour of the visitors. Watt scored his 11th and 12th goals tonight, and Cody Franson cemented his position atop his team as points leader. Franson also leads all WHL defensemen in points. Rookie goalie Tokarski earned third star honours for his play throughout the game, a trend that seems to be following the G-Men lately to a point where you have to question whether all those goalies are that good or is the Vancouver team simply making them look good by firing pucks from all over the ice. Once again the Giants PP looked good, but only struck once on 9 opportunities, a few of which were 5 on 3s.

The Giants next game is on Wednesday the 3rd of November in Red Deer at the Enmax Centarium to take on the Rebels. The puck drops 7:00pm MST (6:00pm PST).

Three Stars

1 - Cody Franson
2 – JD Watt
3 – Dustin Tokarski

bruinsfan9
10-30-2006, 12:45 AM
Why is there no plus/minus recorded on the Watt shorthanded goal. It seems like the WHL scoresheets are messed up alot this year. All the guys on the ice for that goal got cheated out of a plus.

rinkrat
10-30-2006, 08:59 PM
Why is there no plus/minus recorded on the Watt shorthanded goal. It seems like the WHL scoresheets are messed up alot this year. All the guys on the ice for that goal got cheated out of a plus.

Players don't get a +/- on the PP or PK.

Monster
10-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Players don't get a +/- on the PP or PK.

Yes they do when a Shorthanded goal is scored + for the PK and - for the PP

SectionNDeserter
10-30-2006, 09:13 PM
Players don't get a +/- on the PP or PK.Unless something has changed lately, they don't get a +/- if the team on the powerplay gets a goal, but if a team gets a shorthanded goal, they get a +, and the team on the powerplay gets a -.

rinkrat
10-30-2006, 10:06 PM
I stand (sit) corrected.I wasn't aware of the shorthanded situation. ;)

old_time_hockey
10-30-2006, 10:33 PM
That was my first thought too. But there was another game the same night that someone got a SH goal and there were +/- stats on the game sheet. Unless the other game sheet was a typo

bruinsfan9
10-30-2006, 11:12 PM
They now have added the plus minus for the shortie scored by Watt. I just keep noticing mistakes on the scoresheets but hopefully they are correcting them all. So now lets add to the question? How about on an empty netter? Anyone?

rinkrat
10-30-2006, 11:32 PM
+/- is overrated.Luc Bourdon was drafted in the first round as a -39 haha :clap:

dondo
10-31-2006, 02:58 AM
that's just cause the Canucks are crappy drafters not that +/- means nothing :p