PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember Ed?

Sput
10-29-2006, 03:17 PM

I concidered NOT posting this, but this is too good not to put up. If anyone remembers Ed Dempsey, and knows his coaching 'style' you'll probably know where this young man is coming from.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Forward quits Spruce Kings

by TED CLARKE, Citizen staff

One of the top scorers for the Prince George Spruce Kings has quit the team.

Centre Scott McNaughton, 19, left the Kings on Oct. 13, upset over a lack of icetime and what he felt was a lack of respect from the Kings’ coaches. He’s now back at his home in Agassiz awaiting a trade.

“I just asked to be traded, I don’t like Ed (Kings head coach and general manager Dempsey),” said McNaughton. “I didn’t get along with him. I wasn’t getting the icetime and I wasn’t getting treated the way I should be treated.

“I know I can play, but I want more icetime. At the start of the year I was getting the icetime I got last year. But the last 2 1/2 weeks I was playing I was probably getting 10 minutes a game.”

McNaughton said there were personal issues that soured his relationship with the Kings coaches and convinced him he didn’t want to finish the last two seasons of his junior career in Prince George. The final straw for McNaughton came during a meeting with Dempsey and assistant coach Mike Hawes, minutes before the Kings were to leave on the bus to Williams Lake.

“I wasn’t going in with the intention of asking for a trade, but at the end of it, I did ask for a trade,” McNaughton said. “I didn’t want to play for those guys again.

“During the last game (Oct. 12 against Langley), I came off the ice and Ed said, ‘McNaughton, you’re a (expletive) joke.’ So that (ticked) me off and that’s why I went in to talk to him originally.

“They told me I was a bottom-line player on the team. I asked why I wasn’t getting icetime and they pretty much told me I sucked at hockey. They told me I was horrendous on the power play and I wasn’t playing power-play, yet I had four goals, all on the power play. I think I’m a 35- or 40-goal scorer in the league but Ed didn’t see that. There’s so much talent on that team going to waste.”

McNaughton had four goals and seven assists in 12 games this season. In 44 games last year, as a rookie, he finished third in team scoring with 18 goals and 40 points.

When told what McNaughton said about the details that led to his decision to quit the Kings, Dempsey declined comment. The Kings’ coach said he has given McNaughton as much icetime as any of the other six top forwards on the team.

“I know what happened and so does everybody else,” Dempsey said. “The guy played on the top-six, he played power play and he killed penalties, so he can say what he wants.

“He wasn’t happy and wanted more icetime and if not, he was heading home. That was a guy who averaged 18 minutes a game. That’s a lot of icetime.”

McNaughton’s departure from the team comes weeks after the Kings dealt forward Erick Ruud to Langley and defenceman Jesse Felske to Surrey. According to McNaughton, both asked to be traded.

“I’m the third guy to ask out now — after Ruud and Felske,” McNaughton said. “For a Royal Bank Cup team, it’s not a happy team. I love the guys on the team, it’s just I didn’t like the coaching staff, and that goes for Hawesy (assistant coach Hawes) too.

“I know when you put this in the paper, Ed is going to come out and take shots at me, which is fine. He’s already told guys on the team I was putting them down in that interview I had with him, and that’s not true. Those guys are my friends and I’d never do that.

“Ed’s an old-school coach, not my type of coach, and we’ve barely seen eye-to-eye since I got there.”

McNaughton wants to resume playing but said Dempsey has delayed the process by not listing his name on the trade wire until this past Monday.

“Langley’s been after me and he hasn’t been returning their phone calls,” McNaughton said. “He’s going to wait it out as long as he can. It’s not a pretty situation.

“I’ve got two years of junior left and I don’t want to go through that. I want to go to a team that wants me, and wants me to play. I’m 19, I’m an adult too, I should be treated like one.”

Dempsey said he has had inquiries about McNaughton and when the right deal comes along, he’ll make the trade happen.

“There has been some interest, but there has to be a lot more,” Dempsey said.

Sput
10-29-2006, 03:19 PM
I think this guy just voiced what sooo many former Dempsey players have wanted to say. He may have burned some bridges, but I almost think it was worth it.

rinkrat
10-29-2006, 04:18 PM
That kid has alot of guts,he knows he's burning bridges but is standing up for what he believes in.I hope he catches on with another team and has alot of success.Seems like he has alot of character.

old_time_hockey
10-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Well if he has the skills that he says, I'm sure that a top team like the Clippers would like to have him. I always found it interesting though that when a player demands a trade, that he is placing faith in the GM to find him a trade to a good team.

But from the sounds of it a good team is any team other than the Spruce Kings.

Sput
10-29-2006, 06:07 PM
But from the sounds of it a good team is any team other than the Spruce Kings.

The team is good, and they do have a bunch of talent there, but they aren't playing at all for the likes of Special Ed and Hawsie. They are both goofs. Most of us know of Ed's antics from being in the Dub. Hawse has a history all his own. I know for a fact he was tossed out of an Atoms (9-10 year olds)tourney in Ft St John two years ago by a 14 year old ref. He started this season with a 10 game suspension for abuse of an official from the playoffs last season. Real good leader and 'mentor' for these kids to have. Pretty much anyone else could step behind the bench, and instantly upgrade this team. Kings management better realize this soon if they want any hope of doing anything in the Royal Bank Cup this spring.

Cougar Guy
10-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Kings management better realize this soon if they want any hope of doing anything in the Royal Bank Cup this spring.

LOL. Aren't we lucky eh Sput? On one side of town we have Brodsky and on the other side of town we have a team who hasn't won anything since they played in the PCJHL and RMJHL and now have Brodsky rejects. Yup, being a hockey fan in PG takes ALLOT of patience :D

KBF
10-29-2006, 07:36 PM
I see Dumpsey is still just as much of an ******* as ever. Sure was a great day when McGregor sent his ass packing.