PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Still Strong

Scout
10-31-2006, 07:25 PM
The Swift Current Broncos, despite a rough weekend in Alberta, are still one of the best teams in the East Division.

Scoring goals was the main concern for the club over the weekend, who were shut out in back to back games suffering losses to Red Deer on Saturday night (4-0) and Calgary on Sunday afternoon (7-0). The club is now just 2 points back of Brandon for 1st place in the division, but are tied for the division lead with 9 wins. The team's 46 goals against are 2nd to just Moose Jaw in the East Division, despite having played 4 more games than the Warriors.

Broncos forward Kyle Bortis leads the team in scoring with 12 points (5G; 7A) through 17 games while Michael Wilson is amonst the top 20 in the Western Hockey League for defensive scoring with 10 points (2G; 8A). Kyle Moir is still one of the leagues elite goaltenders with a 2.70 goals against average to go along with a .926 save percentage.

Scout

Flathead
10-31-2006, 10:35 PM
It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend. hopefully last weekend was a wake up call. When we play a full 60 minutes we can beat anyone, but when we stop playing it shows and hurts us.

Broncs in RD
11-01-2006, 02:41 PM
I don't like the term wake-up call at all! We have had three years of wake-up calls the players on this team should not let first or second in the East division go to their head at all. We win the games against teams that are lower in the standings, but once we play the teams that are at the top of the leauge we play like crap and can't get any offense going at all. The Defense has played real well our goaltending has been spectacual, but we are missing key parts to our forward group. Our youth on this team is proberally the best in the dub, but are missing leadership and scoring up front. Schenderling showed promise last year, but so far this season he is a waste of a 20 year old spot. Against Red Deer we had no offensive pressure at all not even on the PP we couldn't get the puck past the red line. I would like to see Wudrick on a line with Stieler and let those two play complete offense. As for Nelson I believed last year he was more of a two way player than a scorer so I don't expect him to put up huge numbers, but do expect him to lead this team more.

Scout
11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I couldn't agree with you more. Very well put.

Scout

Link Dog
11-01-2006, 05:40 PM
You hit the nail on the head Broncs. I also think Dean and Dave are doing what they can and standing by their threats to sit people (Smith, Steiler, Schendo, Rakos, Wilson this last weekend). It's time for someone in the room to stand up, get in someone's face if they have to, and make it clear that lack of effort is unacceptable. I, as a fan, can handle watching a loss as long as the boys give it a 100%. Sure a player will have an off night, but that should not stop his teammate from giving it his all out on the ice. The tools are there for this team to make a decent run this year but somone has to step up and take charge from within the room.

Flathead
11-01-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't like the term wake-up call at all! We have had three years of wake-up calls the players on this team should not let first or second in the East division go to their head at all. We win the games against teams that are lower in the standings, but once we play the teams that are at the top of the leauge we play like crap and can't get any offense going at all. The Defense has played real well our goaltending has been spectacual, but we are missing key parts to our forward group. Our youth on this team is proberally the best in the dub, but are missing leadership and scoring up front. Schenderling showed promise last year, but so far this season he is a waste of a 20 year old spot. Against Red Deer we had no offensive pressure at all not even on the PP we couldn't get the puck past the red line. I would like to see Wudrick on a line with Stieler and let those two play complete offense. As for Nelson I believed last year he was more of a two way player than a scorer so I don't expect him to put up huge numbers, but do expect him to lead this team more.
They shouldn't let first or second get to their heads but they are kids, and kids tend to do that. We have had three years of wake up calls, but not with this team, this is a very talented young team, that's learning how to win. Sometimes it takes a wake up call or step back to continue to move forward and I'm hoping that's what last weekend was.
We are missing a true sniper like a Yellowhorn, Seto etc... Rumsey is a great leader but maybe can't do it all alone. I keep hoping Schendo will turn it around and still believe that he will. Stieler was amazing in the preseason, something has to be done to get him going, maybe playing with Wudrick is what he needs?? I would like to see a more consistent line up, get rid of the revolving list of healthy scratches.

Flathead
11-01-2006, 05:50 PM
You hit the nail on the head Broncs. I also think Dean and Dave are doing what they can and standing by their threats to sit people (Smith, Steiler, Schendo, Rakos, Wilson this last weekend). It's time for someone in the room to stand up, get in someone's face if they have to, and make it clear that lack of effort is unacceptable. I, as a fan, can handle watching a loss as long as the boys give it a 100%. Sure a player will have an off night, but that should not stop his teammate from giving it his all out on the ice. The tools are there for this team to make a decent run this year but somone has to step up and take charge from within the room.
The sitting of players last weekend had more to do with some off ice antics than their on ice performance. But still is very good of Dean and Dave to do what they did and let them know who's boss.
yes watching a team lose but still gave 110% for a full 60 is acceptable compared to a team not showing up.

dubfan
11-01-2006, 07:59 PM
Good comments. All in all the season to date has been a success overall. Last weekend started off good and the first half of the Red Deer game was fairly even but after that the team faltered and that is where the leaders need to step up. The leadership that is lacking is not in the character as players like Rumsey ooze with character but in someone on the ice scoring a big goal or creating energy and or excitement for the team.

I believe a lot of the offensive problems start with the inability of the puck transition between the defense and the forwards to create any kind of scoring on the attack. The more experienced d-man are solid defensively and great on the PK but lack some abilities to move the puck tape to tape.

The penalty kill is still one of the best in the league and the PP has problems which is a result of being unable to get set up in the offensive zone (entry and recovery). I believe if the PP improves the goal totals will also increase as that is where most teams like Brandon, Calgary even Lethbridge make there HAY.

Broncs in RD
11-02-2006, 09:26 AM
We have had three years of wake up calls, but not with this team.

Yes this team has had their share of wake-up calls, Rumsey, Schendo, Bortis, Benke, Postma, Moir, Yonkman, Leovold, Rakos, Smith, Larochelle, Nelson, Weise, Toulmin, Wilson, McAvoy. These players have been here for 2 some 3 years so yes this team has had 2-3 years of wake-up calls. Losing 7-0 is not acceptable at all. I don't think Dean has done enough as a GM for this team we have lacked a scorer for 2 years and have yet to fill that void. We can't sit and wait and rely on these 16 or 17 year olds to carry this load. They need support to make them better and have yet to get that and I think they as young developing players deserve it. Dean do something for this Franchise make it a winner.

Flathead
11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Yes this team has had their share of wake-up calls, Rumsey, Schendo, Bortis, Benke, Postma, Moir, Yonkman, Leovold, Rakos, Smith, Larochelle, Nelson, Weise, Toulmin, Wilson, McAvoy. These players have been here for 2 some 3 years so yes this team has had 2-3 years of wake-up calls. Losing 7-0 is not acceptable at all. I don't think Dean has done enough as a GM for this team we have lacked a scorer for 2 years and have yet to fill that void. We can't sit and wait and rely on these 16 or 17 year olds to carry this load. They need support to make them better and have yet to get that and I think they as young developing players deserve it. Dean do something for this Franchise make it a winner.
Bortis had half a rookie season, Benke you can't really count the 3 games in 04-05 so he's in his second season and never sees the ice, Postma has one season under his belt, Yonkman has a wopping 18 games, Leovold left last year, Nelson, Weise, and McAvoy are in their second full season, Wilson has half of last year, Rakos is in his second season and Toulmin played a total of 17 games last year. So your left with our three 20 year olds, Smith and Larochelle from a roster of 24. This team hasn't been together for a full two years. I do agree though that Dean needs to do something about the lack of goal scoring, without giving up to much in the talented pool of youth that we have and that's going to be hard to do.

Chuckles
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Such a possitive aspect. We still are a 9 and 8 hockey team that is a game over 500. I realize i'm probably a little to much of a positive thinker but we could be 6 and 12 or 4 and 10 it could be lot worse. Yes i'm a dissapointed that we don't put the puck in the back of the net more often. But we still are producing wins and thats all ya can ask for. I guess well beside vancouver. I really do think every team in the league will have there games where they get blown out. and 7 to 0 is rough. Its a tough pill to swallow, weather you be a fan or not. I would imagine it would even be worse as a player. As for getting a sniper. I wish. There isn't really much out there for snipers they don't just grow on trees you have to trade something to get something. I still like where this team is growing too. I think there is a lot of good young talent which will make our team look Really good next year. Hopefully some of our young talent turns out to be amazing. Like you can see it in some players. Anyways. I 'm not going to say i'm a huge fan of Dean's coaching i'm not going to bash it. Sometimes players don't like playing for coaches whatever the hole seniro is. I'm still happy with where we are in our standing right now. Even though we are in a struggling division i still think we are playing well and can play with almost any team in the league if we show up to play. So thats always a positive note. It will be interesting to see how the boys bounce back from that 7 to 0 loss even with a week in between. Only time will tell. I wish em good luck on the weekend. Go Broncos Go

ointhecreek
11-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Such a possitive aspect. We still are a 9 and 8 hockey team that is a game over 500. I realize i'm probably a little to much of a positive thinker but we could be 6 and 12 or 4 and 10 it could be lot worse. Yes i'm a dissapointed that we don't put the puck in the back of the net more often. But we still are producing wins and thats all ya can ask for.
exactly what I was thinking, just couldn't find the words. Come on, people, lighten up, it's still early in the year and are playing and winning more then last year. It could be worse. The boys will put it together and play good hockey. Every team gos thru some rough times.

Flathead
11-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I still like where this team is growing too. I think there is a lot of good young talent which will make our team look Really good next year. Hopefully some of our young talent turns out to be amazing. Like you can see it in some players.
I really like were our team is going as well, our young guns are as good as any other group of young guys in the league, and if we continue to learn how to win and improving this season we will be really good this season,especially come the playoffs, when this team has played with each other a little longer.