PDA

View Full Version : Giants 1 @ Rebels 4, Nov. 1st

Beaner
11-01-2006, 10:24 PM
And with that the streak is over. 1st loss of the '06-'07 season, and first loss to a WHL team since the loss to Portland in game 1 of round 2 of the playoffs last year.

I only listened to the game once again, so from what it sounded like, the Giants played well, generated a few good chances, but the Rebels really capitalized on their chances tonight. Hopefully we get some Fans who watched or were at the game to offer up some comments.

NOTES
Reimer and Slade got the starts
Bouma (head), Toigo and Dulle were the Giants scratches
Shots 38-27 Giants
PP Rebels 2/9, Giants 0/4

GOALS
1. RDR LeBlanc, (8) (Egener, Lamoureux), 9:07 (PP) 5-4, Leblanc brings the puck in cuts to the net, Slade moves off the post and LeBlanc pots it in short side.
1. RDR Knackstedt, (4) (Berube, LeBlanc), 15:37 (PP) 5-4, Knackstedt pots in the rebound off the Slade save.
2. VAN Watt, (13) (Reese, Czibere), 2:27 Reese feeds Watt on the Half boards and he catches Reimer off guard and beats him short side.
2. RDR Sutter, (8) (Henry), 8:38 2-1, after the Franson Pinch, Henry goes in with Sutter, feeds Sutter and he makes no mistake.
3. RDR Sutter, (9) (Hanzal, Starkov), 11:12 Hanzal beats 2 Giants cuts in and once again feeds Sutter who scores his second of the night.

FISTICUFFS
Watt vs. Lynch
Sounded more like a spinning contest on the radio, with Lynch getting the take down.

OFFICIATING
MacIssac and Thompson tonight. Hard to comment with the radio feed. :)

3 Stars
1. RDR - 31 James Reimer
2. RDR - 12 Brandon Sutter
3. RDR - 6 Jordan Henry

Kassian
11-01-2006, 10:26 PM
The officiating wasn't great but then again what else is new. The only call that really bugged me was the roughing call on Regner in the 2nd period. Total garbage. The Giants did out play the Rebels for most of the game but ultimately the Rebels capitalized on their chances and the Giants did not.

Carebear
11-01-2006, 10:33 PM
It hurts....deep inside... :(

Glad it was a good team though and not just a ****ty loss to an average team.

rinkrat
11-01-2006, 10:35 PM
I thought Slade looked really shakey tonight.Also guys aren't finishing around the net.Alot of shots from the perimeter and Reimer looked solid.
I thought the refs were disappointing tonight.
The Red Deer play by play guys were excellent.Cam Moon and another guy were very informative and not homers at all.
I think its time the Giants acquire a bonafide goal scorer,its becoming apparent that this will be a problem against tougher opponents.Lamb,Repik,Reese need to step it up and its time for James Wright to pot the odd goal.

Big Daddy
11-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Full marks to Red Deer. They did an excellent job and played a tight checking game and forced turnovers in all areas of the ice. The Euro's and Sutter played well and created lots of problems with their speed, skill, and size. Egener played a very solid game and was on the ice a lot.
We played 35 maybe 40 minutes. The first period pk's killed us as I though both goals were soft, certainly the first goal. Poor defensive play by Mik and Franny at times tonight and not Slade's best game for sure. Fester, Blum and Regener played solid even though Regener had the 2 penalties. This kid is really developing quickly and will be exciting to watch in the coming years. Watt, Reese, Repik, Czibere, all played well. Kraus, Bliznak, and Lucic were also noticable but just could not get on the score sheet.

I didn't think the officiating was poor at all. At least three of our penalties were selfish and stupid.

It had to happen sooner or later but we need to get going Friday.

Kassian
11-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I didn't think the officiating was poor at all. At least three of our penalties were selfish and stupid.

Even that Regner roughing call? Unless checking has been banned recently that wasn't a penalty...

Philz
11-01-2006, 10:56 PM
The Game was good. I am a Rebel Fan, but those Giants sure played good. The score didn't reflect how the game was. The Giants are the Real Deal. They don’t have one top line, they just role though all 4 lines. They are a quick team and see each other on the ice. The Rebels did play good tonight. I think that Rimer was the Better goalie tonight. Slade looked Shaky at times.

Only one Fight tonight. I would say that Lynch Landed more punches then Watt and deserved the win.

I still love Seeing Flatters in that Giants Jersey. He takes another Stupid Penalty at the end of the game, If he kept his cool more often he would be a excellent player.

just my thoughts

Big Daddy
11-01-2006, 11:02 PM
Even that Regner roughing call? Unless checking has been banned recently that wasn't a penalty...

I didn't see that one. Was that the one that the pbp guy mistakenly said he got a 2 and 10 for?

rinkrat
11-01-2006, 11:02 PM
The Game was good. I am a Rebel Fan, but those Giants sure played good. The score didn't reflect how the game was. The Giants are the Real Deal. They don’t have one top line, they just role though all 4 lines. They are a quick team and see each other on the ice. The Rebels did play good tonight. I think that Rimer was the Better goalie tonight. Slade looked Shaky at times.

Only one Fight tonight. I would say that Lynch Landed more punches then Watt and deserved the win.

I still love Seeing Flatters in that Giants Jersey. He takes another Stupid Penalty at the end of the game, If he kept his cool more often he would be a excellent player.

just my thoughts

Nice to hear the opposition point of view.Just waiting for Section N Deserter to rub it in! :D
Good game by Red Deer,you guys looked solid!

SectionNDeserter
11-01-2006, 11:09 PM
Unless checking has been banned recently that wasn't a penalty...I was sitting 4 feet away from that hit, Regner totally fed him a face full of forearm on the check, and his head snapped back. It was a good call.

Kassian
11-01-2006, 11:12 PM
I was sitting 4 feet away from that hit, Regner totally fed him a face full of forearm on the check, and his head snapped back. It was a good call.

To each his own then. I've watched the clip a few times now and it was a good hard hit in my books. It certainly didn't look like Regner intentionally drove his forearm into the Rebels player head as you put it.

Kassian
11-01-2006, 11:15 PM

just my thoughts

At that point it didn't matter because the game was basically over. Flatters put a good hit on Henry against the boards and Henry decides to give him a pretty good slash (which wasn't called). Needless to say Flatters tried to go after him. I can't blame him for that....

Tinner
11-01-2006, 11:16 PM
Good game to watch and for the most part the reffing was good. They let the kids play and only called what needed to be called, not to many "ghost calls". As one of the posters said, giants took some dumb, undescipined penalties and it hurt as the rebs pp clicked.

That said, the 1st rebel goal was weak and the giants goal was weak as Reimer let it trickle though the 5 hole. the other reb goals were ones where slade was left to fend for himself. lots of speed and some good playmaking made the game very good to watch. reimer stood tall and can take some of the credit for the win.

typical home team win and i'm sure the giants will return the favor when the rebs make their visit.

SectionNDeserter
11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
Nice to hear the opposition point of view.Just waiting for Section N Deserter to rub it in! :DWhat?!?! I would never do that! Well, at least not this early in the season. :thumb:

The Giants sure looked a lot more polished than a lot of the teams we have seen this season. Their forecheck was very good, and every time they were killing a penalty, I had to count to make sure they didn't have 5 skaters on the ice! Would have been much closer had we not blocked so many shots/Reimer didn't stand on his head.

SectionNDeserter
11-01-2006, 11:34 PM
At that point it didn't matter because the game was basically over. Flatters put a good hit on Henry against the boards and Henry decides to give him a pretty good slash (which wasn't called).Hehe, I think your webcast must have dropped some packets. :D Flatters took out Henry's knees and got a clipping penalty (not hooking like it says on the boxscore), I didn't see a slash (unless he did it while he was still laying on the ice), and they said some unpleasant things to each other, and then Flatters went bananas and tried to fight him.

The only big call that I thought the ref missed was when Lucic crushed Moore behind the net, and Moore got up and skated to the neutral zone, where Lucic and another Giant were side by side. The Giant beside Lucic had the puck, and dumped it in, and Moore flew at him and staggered him a bit (leaving his feet a little, and Lucic didn't have the puck). I thought we were going to get one for sure there, as Moore appeared to lose his cool a bit.

Kassian
11-01-2006, 11:43 PM
Hehe, I think your webcast must have dropped some packets. :D Flatters took out Henry's knees and got a clipping penalty (not hooking like it says on the boxscore), I didn't see a slash (unless he did it while he was still laying on the ice), and they said some unpleasant things to each other, and then Flatters went bananas and tried to fight him.

That's not true at all. I have the clip and I watched it once again to double check. Flatters was up against the glass near the blue line, he bent over and lifted Henry over his back. Nothing wrong with that hit at all. Far from a clipping penalty. Flatters went after Henry because of the slash which occured afterwards. Obviously he isn't going to go after Henry unless there was a reason.

As far as the Lucic and Moore hits I thought the Lucic one was a good hit and to be honest at first glance I didn't see much wrong with Moore's hit on Lucic. Either way he's just lucky he didn't try and drop the mitts with Lucic. :D

SectionNDeserter
11-01-2006, 11:47 PM
As far as the Lucic and Moore hits I thought the Lucic one was a good hit and to be honest at first glance I didn't see much wrong with Moore's hit on Lucic.Yeah, I guess the big thing was that Lucic didn't have the puck, and hadn't played it recently, and it happened just after he had been crunched behind the net by him.

Either way he's just lucky he didn't try and drop the mitts with Lucic. :DNo kidding, I was dissapointed that we only got to see Lynch paw at Watt a little, nothing from these Lucic or Hunt guys I have been hearing so much about. ;)

Kassian
11-01-2006, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I guess the big thing was that Lucic didn't have the puck, and hadn't played it recently, and it happened just after he had been crunched behind the net by him.

That's true. Maybe it's just me but I'm not very picky when it comes to things like that. That's probably a penalty in the NHL, but I'd rather that type of small stuff go. It didn't hurt either player and it wasn't like it had any effect on a potential scoring opportunity for either team.

No kidding, I was dissapointed that we only got to see Lynch paw at Watt a little, nothing from these Lucic or Hunt guys I have been hearing so much about. ;)

Me too actually. I figured Jason Lynch would want a rematch with Lucic after getting hammered last season.

RDRebelsfan
11-02-2006, 12:53 AM
The officiating wasn't great but then again what else is new. The only call that really bugged me was the roughing call on Regner in the 2nd period. Total garbage. The Giants did out play the Rebels for most of the game but ultimately the Rebels capitalized on their chances and the Giants did not.

That must of been what Slade was running his mouth off about when a Giant player got rocked around centre. Which proceeded me to think heart before mind by calling him (Slade) a psycho.

RDRebelsfan
11-02-2006, 12:54 AM

just my thoughts

quick is right. Especially Machacek imo. Guy ****ing flies.

RDRebelsfan
11-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Hehe, I think your webcast must have dropped some packets. :D Flatters took out Henry's knees and got a clipping penalty (not hooking like it says on the boxscore), I didn't see a slash (unless he did it while he was still laying on the ice), and they said some unpleasant things to each other, and then Flatters went bananas and tried to fight him.

The only big call that I thought the ref missed was when Lucic crushed Moore behind the net, and Moore got up and skated to the neutral zone, where Lucic and another Giant were side by side. The Giant beside Lucic had the puck, and dumped it in, and Moore flew at him and staggered him a bit (leaving his feet a little, and Lucic didn't have the puck). I thought we were going to get one for sure there, as Moore appeared to lose his cool a bit.

Henry did Slash him. Whacked him on the leg. I can clarify that I was right in the area where it happened.

Kassian
11-02-2006, 01:41 AM
That must of been what Slade was running his mouth off about when a Giant player got rocked around centre. Which proceeded me to think heart before mind by calling him (Slade) a psycho.

Lucic got a misconduct during that call because he was arguing it with the ref. I didn't see Slade do anything but then again it's a little difficult to see when I'm not there and have to rely on the webcast. :thumb:

dondo
11-02-2006, 02:10 AM
missed it - working

sounded like as you guys said that the Giants played their usual game, but Slade was softish, and from the highlights sportsnet showed it looked like Reimer stood on his head.

maybe they were too relaxed after their trip to the farm to bond.

Well they had to lose in regulation sooner or later and Red Deer is a much better team than they had last season.

RDRebelsfan
11-02-2006, 06:44 AM
Lucic got a misconduct during that call because he was arguing it with the ref. I didn't see Slade do anything but then again it's a little difficult to see when I'm not there and have to rely on the webcast. :thumb:

We're tihnking 2 dif things, Slade was yipping off about something after a Giant got checked. I know about that Lucic 10 minute.

Beaner
11-02-2006, 09:31 AM
No kidding, I was dissapointed that we only got to see Lynch paw at Watt a little, nothing from these Lucic or Hunt guys I have been hearing so much about. ;)

Probably a good thing that Lucic didnt go last night, as Bill and Joey were saying during the game that he was a game time decision to play as he is very sick with a case of the Flu.

Thanks for all the comments on the game everyone, didn't sound like Reimer had to play all that well last night according to the radio, but by the sounds of it fromt he people who were there, he made a lot of good saves.

Kassian
11-02-2006, 01:22 PM
We're tihnking 2 dif things, Slade was yipping off about something after a Giant got checked. I know about that Lucic 10 minute.

Oh alright. Yeah I was specifically talking about the Regner penalty in the 2nd period. Lucic didn't like the call and he was arguing it with the ref which is why he got the misconduct penalty.