PDA

View Full Version : Watt & Reese

bruinsfan9
11-02-2006, 12:21 PM
The facts dont lie. Watt & Reese lead the WHL in plus minus, lead the Giants in scoring (other than Dman Franson) and have done this while playing together on the same line most of the season. No other combination of any 2 Giant players have done what Watt and Reese have done together so far this year. So my question is this? Why do they play less than some arguably underacheivers such as Lucic, Mahachek, Kraus, Repik, and so on. It seems to me that it would make sense to put Watt and Reese out together with another skilled player and give them at least as much ice time as the those previously mentioned. Instead they play far less than them and usually have an average or less skilled player on their line with them. I know Dondo won't agree, but for the rest of you, do you possibly see what I am saying here? The stats don't lie!!!!

rinkrat
11-02-2006, 05:41 PM
If you want to question Don Hay and his coaching decisions,thats fine,but I'm guessing you won't find too many Giants fans going down that road.Especially after last season and now the terrific start they are off to.I've learned to trust Mr.Hay. :thumb:

I will say this,as I've said before,they will need a pure goal scorer added to the roster before the playoffs.In my opinion.Not that they grow on trees...

Beaner
11-02-2006, 07:45 PM
I'm really liking what Watt and Reese are bringing this year, and maybe some more ice time is in order for them.

That being said, who am I to question what Hay is doing with the lineups and the minutes.

Lets not also forget that Repik/Lucic/Kraus/Macheck draw usually the other teams top D pairing etc. That being said, those players have underachieved this year, but the team is 15-1-1-0 if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Czibre ('89) is the forgotten man I think right now. He is playing quality minutes and is really starting to show the potential of being the #1 center on the Giants in the near future. Although he hasn't put up many points, he has really impressed me so far this year, all be it in a quiet way. I like seeing him play with the Watt/Reese combo, if Czibre can start putting up some more points, look out.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
I'm confused. If the Czibere-Watt-Reese line is playing so well, why break them up?

old_time_hockey
11-02-2006, 09:49 PM
Mitch has been playing very well.

Sometimes he doesn't get credit on the score sheet when the line that he is on scores, but most of the time his play is the what makes the scoring play happen. Like a clean faceoff win. Or holding the puck along the boards on a clearing attempt. Or being the first man into the corner to dig the puck out. He worked with a power skating coach over the summer and it shows.

16GP 3G (1 SHG) 3A at +10 and only 6PIM. That is solid play for his 2nd year.

dondo
11-03-2006, 02:44 PM
nice to see Watt and Reese connecting but more ice-time might not make them any better for the team. I think were they to get more ice-time their production might decrease as opposed to increase as I feel that the drive and hunger is what is giving them such a great start to the season.

They aren't playing small minutes by any means and both of them along with Czibere (who I agree has been better than his stats indicate), have seen PK and PP time.. so I don't see Hay wasting them in any way and using the top liners to tire out their top D and work their top guys does hurt either.

Quite often you'll see Watt and Reese score their points after some hard work by the Hunt line or the Lucic, Kraus, Repik line, have kept the other team pinned in their own zone.. that's not taking anything away from Watt Reese and Czibere its just what I've witnessed this season.

and bruinsfan19 -- Reese has given me all that and more this season and I think he's a valuable part of the team. I'm happy to see him proving me mistaken.