PDA

View Full Version : Pats vs Ice

patsdude114
11-03-2006, 10:31 PM
What a great game tonight, full of emotion on both sides, hard hitting game (N.Ross bone crushing hit on #3)

Yes the ref wasnt the greatest tonight but we still put ourselves in a position to win this game tonight, and we let it slip away midway through the 3rd when we took 2 offensive zone penalties which the Ice scored on to make it a 1 goal game.

Yes the final like 5 mins of the 3rd we were playing short handed most of it 5 on 3... the Deck crosschecking call was a no brainer to make and same with the K.Ross delay of game call like a minute after the Deck call.... I didnt agree with the Schria 5 min checking from behind call, i thought at most a 4min....

Then the Leffler in OT jumping that player who had jumped N.Ross after his HUGE hit.... i know Leffler was standing up for a teammate from something that happened earlier in the game...... but my question is "why Leffler why couldnt you have waited 27 seconds longer" from the sounds of it on the radio the coaches werent too mad at Leffler for doing it.....ahhh well we got a point out of the game in which we should of won in regulation time....We have to learn to hold onto these leads.

One more note before i end this post.....Reich played a great game skated hard every shift, got a few deflections that found the twine... looks better already then Duval did this season.

patsfan33
11-04-2006, 12:24 AM
random thoughts:

Byblow--no comment

tonight i learned that one can be penalized 6 minutes for roughing...***

John Negrin...meet Nick Ross...well I guess they already have since they were U18 team mates...but wow...WHAT A HIT

...and Leffler...what he did is definately controversial-- i completely support standing up for team mates but for the love of god don't wait until 27seconds left in OT to do it ...and jumpin the kid from behind...ya probably not good

but hell...i was clearly entertained by all this :clap:

nothing else...'cept that we clearly got the better end of the Reich/Duval deal :groovy:

can't wait to see Reeks back at the dome tonight ...heh heh heh :laugh: ...and i wonder if Ross is gonna be dishing out anymore hits

...anyone know the status of Negrin by the way?

nivek_wahs
11-06-2006, 06:05 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=667

Kootenay comes from behind to win by one

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, November 04, 2006

Newcomer Mike Reich received a hero's welcome from his new fans on Friday night -- the same crowd that proceeded to boo referee Adam Byblow off the ice.

Drink cups and popcorn boxes rained down onto the Brandt Centre ice after the Kootenay Ice came back from a 4-1 deficit to beat the Regina Pats 5-4 in overtime before a hostile gathering of 4,581.

Reich, who was acquired Wednesday in a trade with the Calgary Hitmen, scored twice and added one assist in what appeared to be a winning effort. But that was before Byblow whistled the home side for a series of penalties which contributed to four unanswered goals by Kootenay.

Clayton Bauer tied it up with 24 seconds left in regulation -- on the visitors' third straight two-man advantage. That cleared the way for Arnaud Jacquemet to score the winner with three seconds left in the extra frame.

"(Personal) goals don't mean anything if your team loses," offered a frustrated Reich.

"I've never seen something like that in three years in the league. But we still gave up a 4-1 lead and that shouldn't happen."

Kootenay finished 4-for-17 on the power play while Regina was 3-for-10.

"I'm really dissatisfied with the third-party effort, but that's the way it is," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt.

"Hats off to our penalty killers at the end because they did a terrific job for a long, long time -- over and over again. It would be have a fantastic finish had we been able to kill that last one."

The home team was up 2-1 when things got crazy.

Pats defenceman Nick Ross served up an early candidate for hit-of-the-year late in the second period when he caught John Negrin crossing the blueline with his head down.

Ross delivered a devastating -- and clean -- open-ice check before he was jumped by Curtis Billsten, inciting a brief melee.

Negrin remained down for about two minutes before he was helped to the dressing room.

"I thought it was a great hit," said Hunt. "They did what they had to do and got away with it."

Ross was also jumped early in the third period by Luke Wiens, who receive an instigator penalty.

Regina's Brett Leffler went after Billsten with 28.5 seconds left, leading to Bauer's game-tying power-play goal.

"Good for Leff," said Hunt. "The No. 1 thing is each other. Take care of each other, that's the bottom line here. We did that."

Andrew Bailey scored twice for the Ice (11-5-0-1), which got a single from Billsten. Jared Jagow and Jordan Eberle added singles for the Pats, who got 23 saves from Linden Rowat.

Ice goalie Kris Lazaruk made 40 saves.

The Pats continue a four-game homestand tonight against the Everett Silvertips.

EXTRAS: Pats GM Brent Parker can expect to hear from the league after he confronted the referee outside the officials' dressing room after the game ... Reich's goal was his first of the season. The Craik native played 11 scoreless games in a limited role with Calgary ... More than 80 per cent of the new seats in the Brandt Centre have been installed ... Regina native Garrett Mitchell, a 15-year-old forward with the midget AAA Pat Canadians, made his WHL debut for the Pats, who were without F Jason MacDonald due to illness. Mitchell, Regina's second-round pick in the 2005 bantam draft, signed a contract with the WHL club on Wednesday. He can join the Pats on a full-time basis next season ... Kootenay beat the visiting Pats 4-2 exactly one week prior to Friday's game. Lazaruk made 40 saves in that contest.

nivek_wahs
11-06-2006, 06:18 AM
From the previous post (LeaderPost article)...
Clayton Bauer tied it up with 24 seconds left in regulation -- on the visitors' third straight two-man advantage. That cleared the way for Arnaud Jacquemet to score the winner with three seconds left in the extra frame.3 straight 5-on-3's is just ughhhh... I don't recall ever seeing such penalty calling nonsense.

"(Personal) goals don't mean anything if your team loses," offered a frustrated Reich.

"I've never seen something like that in three years in the league. But we still gave up a 4-1 lead and that shouldn't happen." I agree. The Pats WERE up 4-1 and let it slip away. They had all the opportunities but just couldn't finish the job.

"I'm really dissatisfied with the third-party effort, but that's the way it is," said Pats head coach Curtis Hunt.

"Hats off to our penalty killers at the end because they did a terrific job for a long, long time -- over and over again. It would be have a fantastic finish had we been able to kill that last one."I agree with Hunt. But hey there still is 3/4 of the season left... and we could even see worse officiating... YIKES!!

Pats defenceman Nick Ross served up an early candidate for hit-of-the-year late in the second period when he caught John Negrin crossing the blueline with his head down.

Ross delivered a devastating -- and clean -- open-ice check before he was jumped by Curtis Billsten, inciting a brief melee.

Negrin remained down for about two minutes before he was helped to the dressing room.

"I thought it was a great hit," said Hunt. "They did what they had to do and got away with it."

Ross was also jumped early in the third period by Luke Wiens, who receive an instigator penalty.

Regina's Brett Leffler went after Billsten with 28.5 seconds left, leading to Bauer's game-tying power-play goal.

"Good for Leff," said Hunt. "The No. 1 thing is each other. Take care of each other, that's the bottom line here. We did that."I have to comment on the hit... It was probably one of the nicest hits I have seen live in years (kinda reminded me of Scott Stevens' hit on Paul Kariya). I seriously doubt that Byblow was even watching the stuff that went on after the hit :skeptical . But with that being said I really hope Negrin is alright.

patsfan33
11-07-2006, 12:49 AM
had to upload this:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/th_793642881.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y101/PatsFan21/?action=view&current=793642881.flv)

the clip only plays for about 5 seconds at first...u have to click about a third of the way on that black progression bar and then hit the triangular play button before the rest of the clip is shown...forgive the crappyness

tried putting up a better version, but i'm just not that talented lol

and this from Pederson's Blog:

The Regina Pats are waiting to hear from the WHL office following a wild weekend at the Brandt Centre. Friday nite Regina gave up a 4-1 lead to Kootenay and lost 5-4 in overtime to the Ice. Regina spent the last half of the third period killing penalties and the Ice converted on powerplays to tie the game, and even the OT winner with 3 seconds left came on the powerplay as Kootenay ended up with four powerplay goals on 17 opportunities. The Pats are waiting to hear from the league office on discipline because at the game's conclusion, GM Brent Parker confronted referee Adam Byblow outside the referee's dressing room. Parker, along with coach Curtis Hunt and trainer Greg Mayer were all given game misconducts after the game. It's likely the Pats will be looking at hefty fines.

...oh ya gotta love it :D

nivek_wahs
11-07-2006, 04:10 AM
and this from Pederson's Blog:

The Regina Pats are waiting to hear from the WHL office following a wild weekend at the Brandt Centre. Friday nite Regina gave up a 4-1 lead to Kootenay and lost 5-4 in overtime to the Ice. Regina spent the last half of the third period killing penalties and the Ice converted on powerplays to tie the game, and even the OT winner with 3 seconds left came on the powerplay as Kootenay ended up with four powerplay goals on 17 opportunities. The Pats are waiting to hear from the league office on discipline because at the game's conclusion, GM Brent Parker confronted referee Adam Byblow outside the referee's dressing room. Parker, along with coach Curtis Hunt and trainer Greg Mayer were all given game misconducts after the game. It's likely the Pats will be looking at hefty fines.

...oh ya gotta love it :DWow! I knew that the Pats' were upset with the officiating (or lack thereof) but wow... even Mayer... team unity :spineyes: . I also noticed that Brent wasn't in his perch for the Saturday Silvertips game. I wonder. Old school hockey :thumb:.

witness
11-07-2006, 08:48 AM
I think the league and the referee can be thankful there wasn't 4000 people outside the refs room. The worst game a referee has had in about 20 years. I am all for the two referee system after that game.

nivek_wahs
11-07-2006, 09:33 AM
Parker upset over officiating (http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=670)

From the article:
The Pats were forced to kill seven straight power plays, including a trio of two-man advantages late in the third period, culminating in the game-tying goal with 24 seconds left in regulation.That's plain craziness :spineyes:

After the game, Parker confronted referee Adam Byblow outside the officials' dressing room. In the midst of some heated comments, Parker put an exclamation point on the discussion by hoofing a nearby garbage can.That a boy Brent :thumb:

"There comes a point when you have to stand up for your (team)," explained Parker. "Our players and coaches work very hard. My allegiance is to them -- and to our fans. I felt they had been wronged."

Following the GM's tirade, Pats owner Russ Parker entered the officials room for a brief discussion.

"I don't think he was a peace maker," offered Brent Parker. "He had many of the same objections that I did."

Asked if there was anything he regretted about the incident, Parker paused before responding: "I felt it was something I needed to do. If they choose to fine our organization, so be it."Way to stick up for your boys Brent... Good job :clap:

That pllus much much more in the article... Here (http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=670)

Bran
11-07-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow! I knew that the Pats' were upset with the officiating (or lack thereof) but wow... even Mayer... team unity :spineyes: . I also noticed that Brent wasn't in his perch for the Saturday Silvertips game. I wonder. Old school hockey :thumb:.
Nice!

You know, as badly as it ended, it was, for the most part, a good game. Those boys worked hard, and they deserved better. Yeah, they gave up a 4-1 lead, but it certainly wasn't for a lack of trying. I've never witnessed anything like that, and I won't cry if I never do again. It is nice to hear the Brandt Centre so loud, though! Too bad you've gotta get on people's nerves to get them to make some noise.

That hit by N. Ross was probably the hardest, cleanest hit I've seen. You've gotta keep your head up when that kids on the ice!

I get why Leffler went after Billsten, I just don't understand why he did it with 28 seconds left in OT. :spineyes: It couldn't wait a few seconds??

And Mike Reich...Welcome! I like this kid already. He said he was 'ecstatic' to be here and the Pats are the only team he's wanted to play for. Good to have you! It's always nice when players want to be here.

I liked Terry Perkins' comments on the OT show. It was awhile ago, but something to the effect of "It's a fast game, maybe it's just too fast for him." In reference to Byblow.

witness
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM
My favorite Perkins quote was: In reference to the Moose Jaw rink.
"It is hard to play in an areana where they put the roof on upside down."

Bran
11-07-2006, 04:08 PM
My favorite Perkins quote was: In reference to the Moose Jaw rink.
"It is hard to play in an areana where they put the roof on upside down."
Haha, yeah. He's usually good for a laugh.