PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts at the Quarter Season mark

Beaner
11-04-2006, 01:19 PM
Well, we have reached game #18, 25% of the season done, time for some thoughts on the play so far this year for the Giants.

TEAM STATS
POINTS – 33 out of 36 1st overall.
SHOOT-OUTS – 3 wins (Sea/PG/BRN), 0 losses.
OVERTIME- 1 Win (MH), 1 Loss (SEA)
WIN% - 0.913 1st overall
PIM – 465 2nd overall
PP% - 32/172 18.8% 6th overall
PK% - 133/147 90.5% 2nd overall
GF – 72 2nd overall
GA – 30 2nd overall
SF - 665 (36.9 shots per game)
SA - 337 (18.7 shots against per game)

TEAM RECORD (w-l-otl-sol) 16-1-1-0

Schedule to Date:
Home:
Por, Spo (2), Chi, PG, SC, Sea, Sas, Brn, Kel.
Away:
Sea (2), PG (2), Chi, Spo, RDR, MH

vs. teams over .500 – (SC, SEA *3, BRN, RDR, MH, Spo*3) 8-1-1-0 **2 SOW, 1OTW **
vs. teams under .500 – (CHI*2, KEL, SAS, POR, PG*3,) 8-0-0-0 **1 SOW**

vs. BC Division – 6-0-0-0 **1 shootout win**
vs. US Division - 6-0-1-0 **1 shootout win**
vs. East Division - 3-0-0-0 **1 shootout win**
vs. Central Division - 1-1-0-0

Home Games – 10-0-0-0 **1 Shoot-out Wins**
Away Games – 6-1-1-0 **2 Shootout Wins**

GOALTENDERS
Slade 7-1-1 2so 1.55GAA
Has played well again this year, hasn’t really lost a beat since last years run. The odd bad goal here and there, but is making the key save when needed. Overall very solid play again this year from the Veteran.
Sexsmith 8-0-0, 2so, 3sow, 1otw 1.72GAA
I am really impressed with Sexsmith this year. Calm cool and stopping the puck. At the start of the year I was thinking move him, but I am really glad that the Giants held onto him now. A quality goalie who will give us many good years of service.

DEFENCEMAN

Cody Franson – 9g 17a +10 26pim
Has been the #1 player on the Giants this year. Leads the team in scoring, is solid defensively, and as is showing by the stats, scoring like a machine. If I have one complaint with Cody I would like to see him step up with the physical play even more.
Brett Festerling 1g 4a +12 22pim
Nothing flashy but a solid stay at home d-man. Plays great in his own zone, and now that he can get some time on the PP, is starting to show a bit of potential, but is still to new to that part to really shine. A very calming influence on the back end.
Jonathon Blum – 4g 12a +11 16pim
Jon has really stepped up to yet another level this year. I was expecting some of the sophomore blues this year, but he really just keeps getting better and better. Rarely gets beat, and his nose for the net is incredible for someone so young.
Brendan Mikkelson – 10a +2 20pim
I haven’t been impressed with Brendan’s’ overall play so far this year. It has been good, but right now I feel he is getting beat defensively, and seems to generate little on the PP. I’d like to see him start to shoot the puck a bit more on the PP, instead of constantly trying to set up Franson for the 1 timer.
Jon Flatters – 2a –1 39pim
Rough start for John, but now that he is no longer taking the stupid penalties, he is giving us slid 5/6 D-man minutes. Isn’t costing us anymore, and is playing pretty well on the back end, which is all we are really asking for. Maybe a bit more “Tough Guy” type attitude so Lucic/Watt/Hunt aren’t doing the bulk of the enforcer work.
Brett Regner +5 8pim
A lot of hype around Brett to start the year, and at first I was questioning it as he looked pretty tentative to start the year. That being said, he has really settled in and is showing us all what the hype was about. He is solid in his own zone, quick and not a bad shot either. I would lie to see him shoot the puck more in his limited PP time, but it looks like to me he is trying to avoid having it blocked too much and makes the safe play instead. Easily potential #1/#2 D-man in the next few years.
Nolan Toigo 1a 2pim
Another good pick-up, and has played well in his limited amount of games so far this year. Definitely has earned his spot, and if not for Regner, he would be seeing more ice time.

FORWARDS

Tim Kraus 6g 13a +2 28pim
Has controlled the puck well in both zones of the ice, and is playing great in the circles. Has an uncanny knack for finding the open man and seemingly getting the puck to them thru traffic. A good start once again for Tim.
Michal Repik 6g 7a +1 16pim
Repik has gotten off to a very slow start this year, but not thru lack of trying. He just can’t seem to find the back of the net, even though he has generated a lot of quality scoring chances. Continues to work hard, and if he continues like that the goals will come.
J. D. Watt 13g 5a +14 52pim
Ok. Last year JD was my personal whipping boy. I hereby release JD from the Beaner doghouse, and have to say ----- I am extremely impressed with what JD has brought to the table this year. Scoring, Hitting, Fighting, and in every game night in and night out. I don’t know what happened, but JD, I’m impressed keep it up.
Kyle Lamb 5g 5a +2 26pim
Had a very good start to the year, but after the overage cut-down date has completely cooled off. Not sure what is going on with Kyle, but he seems to not be in every game right now, and is having a hard time really generating any kind of offense. Needs to play once again like his job is on the line, because it very well could be soon.
Mario Bliznak 4g 5a 0 12pim
Mario once again is the teams’ defensive center, and is extremely solid in the circles. However he needs to start generating a bit more offense, and working with his line mates to supply the team with some more scoring.
Jason Reese 7g 11a +14 18pim
After a lack-luster year, Jason has really stepped up to the plate this year, and is really starting to generate the offense expected of a 1st round bantam pick. Almost every game this year he has been completely in generating chances and working his butt off. Still takes the odd shift or two off, but a great year so far for Jason.
Milan Lucic 4g 10a +3 56pim
Milan started slow, but is really starting to turn it around now, putting up points and busting heads at the same time. Still has hands of stone at times around the net, but is a wrecking ball along the boards, keeping the puck in and helping his line-mates to generate offense.
Spencer Machachek 4g 6a +3 12pim
Spencer has seemed a step off all year for me. Seems to be picking up his game now, and using his speed and tenacity to generate more in the offensive zone. To be honest I haven’t really noticed Spencer as much as last year.
Mitch Czibere 3g 3a +10 6pim
What an improvement for Czibere this year. Doing very well in the face-offs, working hard along the boards, and helping to generate and feed his line-mates offensively. I’m really liking what I see out of Mitch so far this year, I do think he will be our #1 center in the near future.
Garet Hunt 3g 1a +3 72pim
What’s not to like. The fan favorite, gives it his all every shift, takes on every player on the ice, and a few points to boot. No one works harder than Garet, and he is a joy to watch. Add to that that he is no longer taking really stupid penalties and you have an agitator that gets the opposition off their game quickly.
Kenton Dulle 2a +2 2pim
Kenton has played limited games so far this year, and to be honest I don’t see much coming out of him. Doesn’t make much of an impression when he does play, he just doesn’t seem to have the effort that the rest of the team does on the ice. Needs to really start stepping it up.
Craig Cunningham –1 10pim
A good start for the rookie, works hard, and gives it what he can in his limited game and ice time. Can’t teach work ethic, and the kid has it in spades. Will be a solid addition to the team for next year.
James Wright 1a +1 6pim
Wright is looking like a 1st round Bantam pick. He isn’t ripping the league up like other 16-year-olds, but he is playing very well in the middle, and is starting to earn more PP time thru his overall good play.
Lance Bouma 2a +2 2 pim
Im not sure what happened to Lance, I think we were all expecting him to be a force after the showing he gave us last year, but he really seems to have taken a step backwards. Maybe the expectations were too high for him. He has played alright so far this year, but I would put him in the #5 spot on the rookie play so far this year.

Beaner
11-04-2006, 01:19 PM
TRADES
David Rutherford for a 5th Round pick.
Tommy Tartaglione for a 4th Round pick
Ryan Molle for a 3rd round pick.

All good trades thus far, for the Giants long term, and for 3 players who more than likely would not have seen regular time with the Giants in any case. Gives the giants a lot of extra picks, for a trade down the road, and gives all 3 players a chance to play on a regular basis.

TEAM OVERALL
The team looks good. Ok they really look great. What else can you say, when a team is 16-1-1 to start the year? For the most part we are out-playing the opposition night in and night out, the team doesn’t quit when behind, and we aren’t getting pushed around physically.

That being said, my only concern with the Giants right now is the amount of PP’s we give the opposition, that number needs to start coming down even with the PK we have.

Do the Giants need to make a move for another sniper? Right now I would have to say no, but if the right trade comes along then maybe it would be worth it.

A few players need to start putting up some points, but everyone is working hard, and if they continue to play that way for the rest of the year it will be a very good year to be a Giants fan.

NEXT QUARTER PREVIEW
9 Road games, 9 Home.
1 @ 3 games in 3 nights
vs East - 1
vs Central - 2
vs US - 10
vs BC – 5

(CAL, LET, CHI, KAM*2, SEA*3, REG, SPO, TRI*2, POR*2, PG, KEL, EVE*2)

Highlight games for me: Kamloops, Everett and Tri Cities finally. Does anyone else find it strange that we will have played Seattle 6 times before we have seen Everett once?

And to add to the not playing Everett till the middle of December debate off even more, more than likely both teams will be short their key players as they will be off trying to make their repective Countries National teams.

Poor scheduling on the leagues part if you ask me.

rinkrat
11-04-2006, 06:05 PM
Nice job,Beaner.Giants fans are lucky to have you posting this stuff,cause we sure can't read it in the local rag! :thumb:
When is Wright gonna put the biscuit in the basket? We should start a pool.
In hindsight Beach was passed up by alot of teams including us.I guess his attitude was the unknown factor,but he's sure lighting it up this year.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-04-2006, 08:00 PM
Good post Beaner. I agree with a lot of what you say.
Players who have jacked-up their game from last season:
Sexsmith, Kraus, Lucic, Czibere, Hunt, Blum, Watt, Reese.

Players that are continuing last year's play:
Franson, Slade, Bliznak, Flatters, Festerling.

Players who are playing a little under my expactations:
Machacek, Repik, Lamb, Mikkelson. (although I'm not worried long-term about any of these 4 guys)

The Rooks:
Wright, Bouma, Cunningham, Regner, Toigo. Dulle.
With the exception of Dulle (who is decent, but not very noticeable), the rooks are playing well and working hard to fit in and play the way Hayzer expects them to. No, they're not producing offensively, but as long as they understand how important work ethic is to this team, and try to meet that obligation, they'll all be okay. They certainly haven't hurt the team to this point. Regner is coming along very well in particular.