PDA

View Full Version : Next seasons' team

rinkrat
11-04-2006, 06:02 PM
Just wondering who you think will be back next year and what the team will look like?
Obviously Slade,Festerling and Lamb are gone,who will next seasons 20 year olds be and who will go pro?
Opinions,please :D

Beaner
11-04-2006, 07:09 PM
A bit early dont you think? :laugh:

rinkrat
11-04-2006, 07:12 PM
A bit early dont you think? :laugh:
haha yup its early.
I was just thinking Franson will probably be gone and maybe Hunt too,but I didn't want to start a riot on here by mentioning the fact that Hunt may not return! ;)

Beaner
11-04-2006, 07:18 PM
haha yup its early.
I was just thinking Franson will probably be gone and maybe Hunt too,but I didn't want to start a riot on here by mentioning the fact that Hunt may not return! ;)

Franson being gone next year is a pretty good bet, as long as he continues his play.

As to Hunt, well you make that prediction at your own risk. :D

old_time_hockey
11-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Franson being gone next year is a pretty good bet, as long as he continues his play.

As to Hunt, well you make that prediction at your own risk. :D

Great, now you two have done it.

I'm going to hunker down in my bomb shelter till Carebear has finished ripping you guys up.

Carebear
11-05-2006, 03:12 AM
It's okay guys.
I've already had the time to think about the HORRIFIC situation which I may face next year...I've dealt with it...and I'm enjoying this year as much as I can....*tear*

Carebear
11-14-2006, 12:27 AM
JUST THINKING!

What are the chances Hunt would go back to the Chiefs next year?

Like what happens to overagers who dont get kept on the team?

Hunt24
11-14-2006, 12:45 AM
Given his current production, and two years experience in the Dub, the chances of Hunt getting through the overagers draft without being picked are pretty slim. Consider that the Edmonton expansion team will be allowed to carry five 20-year-olds and I'm pretty sure he'll find work in the WHL next year.

Looking at the potential overagers next year, the following scenario seems likely:

Cody Franson - will start the season in either Nashville or Milwaukee. No chance of him being back, he's basically been told as much.
Brendan Mikkelson - would be hard-pressed to crack the Anaheim lineup, but he would most likely find a home with one of their affiliates and with no Mem Cup berth guaranteed next year, Anaheim would have no extra incentive to send him back.
J.D. Watt - Calgary has told him he needs to work on a few things, including not fighting as much, if he wants a contract. He's done that so far and they may come through with a contract offer sometime after Christmas. He'd likely start the year in Omaha or Las Vegas.
Tim Kraus - a free agent with one pro camp under his belt, Kraus would most likely be back for a final season with Vancouver.
Mario Bliznak - very rarely (Jiri Jakes) do teams have a Euro fill an overager spot. Bliznak is most likely going back to europe to find employment.
John Flatters - Philadelphia didn't invite him to their camps this year, so the odds of being back in the WHL are pretty good, whether or not Vancouver keeps him is a whole other story.
Garet Hunt - he's scored four times this season and has been one of Hay's favorites so far getting time in key situations. Given that a number of 87s could be leaving, Hunt has a good chance of sticking for one last go-round.

N.W. Bruin
11-14-2006, 01:24 AM
Franson, Mikkelson and Watt I figure are gone to pro. Definitely the first two with no chance of a return. Watt is a possible returning player except the fact he has found a scoring touch.

Bliznak is a two strike guy - Euro and overage equals gone back to Europe.
Jiri Jakes was a pickup during the season when the team was short a overager and Euro because of dealing off Havel and having a younger team.

Tim Kraus - No brainer will be back

John Flatters - Maybe back unless they can get a upgrade overage d-man which they might

Garet Hunt - The fact he has scored some goals and could pop more (finish with a dozen goals or so might give him a shot to return here. If he only got a few goals this season there would have been no chance he would be back.

Because the Giants likely will protect three overagers instead of none and fifteen players in total because of the three overagers instead of fourteen players (Kraus, Watt (depending on him getting a contract), Flatters and Hunt would in that order be the protected guys in that order. Watt likely out of the mix among the three protected guys.

The other twelve protected guys will be:
Sexsmith
Blum
Reese
Bouma
Cunningham
Machachek
Czibere
Wright
Toigo
Repik
Lucic
Regner

Dulle will likely be exposed to Edmonton.

But since there likely will be trades this season everything will change.

Hunt24
11-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Jiri Jakes was a pickup during the season when the team was short a overager and Euro because of dealing off Havel and having a younger team.

Almost, but not quite. The Giants actually had a full load of overagers at the time and had to release Joel Martin to make room for Jakes and his exodus out of Alaska.

N.W. Bruin
11-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Almost, but not quite. The Giants actually had a full load of overagers at the time and had to release Joel Martin to make room for Jakes and his exodus out of Alaska.

Best memory of Jakes was the game in the Hat when he had a hat trick if I recall including couple late goals to beat the Tigers on TV.

Hunt24
11-15-2006, 03:25 AM
How could you forget about Joel Martin? He's the guy who allowed the free-loader from the "Afro News" http://www.theafronews.com/ to get a press pass and eat all the Timbits and Popcorn offered in the press box.

My best memory of Jakes was his first night as a Giant. They literally stole him out of the WCHL (now ECHL) and Alaska. He showed up at the rink with his skates. That night he borrowed equipment from a black ace as he showed up about 15 mins before the pre-game skate. They had no gear ready for him, they didn't think he'd make the game in time to play.

So, ask yourself, how do the Giants get an NHL-drafted 20-year old to give up playing pro hockey and return to a junior league he abandoned? nhl