PDA

View Full Version : Swift Game thoughts

Tiger Trauma
11-04-2006, 11:51 PM
That was scary, again the tigers had thier" forget to play defense" stretch, this time in the third period. I'm sure having to play 3 times in as many nights had something to do with it, but it looked like the Tigers stopped skating. For the majority of the game, we were definetly playing way better than swift. Kudos to them for coming back from being 4 goals down, they looked like a different team.

Right now our defensive coverage isn't as strong, or lacking a bit. If the opposition can pen our guys in our zone for 20-30 seconds, sometimes we start looking at the puck carrier, and forgetting about the guy at the side of the net, or hovering in the slot.

That little wrister tonight by baldwin, was much better than taking those 2 second windups that are rarely followed through

Fisticuffs

Wasden Vs Macavoy

I give this one to wasden. Landed some solid punches, and had the upper edge. Two bigger young guns duking it out:)

Johnsy05
11-05-2006, 12:07 AM
How about the stevens vs Larochelle fight?

Tiger Trauma
11-05-2006, 01:00 AM
Oops,forgot that one :spineyes:

It started after stevens gave larochelle a reall hard bodycheck in the corner. Larochelle took offence, and immediately went after stevens. Not much of a fight stevens was tired, they basically fell down right away. Can't remember if any punches connected. Larochelle got an extra 2 for starting it?...but they called it roughing

Link Dog
11-05-2006, 08:43 AM
I think the Broncos were fortunate it was the Tigers 3rd in three nights. Kudos to them for showing up in the third to make it interesting unlike last weekend in Calgary. Can't play 20 minutes of hockey and expect to win in the Hat. Watching on the Net, didn't look like the reffing was too bad, how did it look in the rink?

bandwagonboy
11-05-2006, 03:43 PM
The tigers have some problems they have to work out.

Full credit to the broncs, but really. 4 goals in what... 5 minutes against a team that sometimes doesn't score 4 goals in 3 games? They are essentially the same team as last year, and yet their penalty kill has been very mediocre all year long. 8th in the league in PK is not where this team should be sitting.

I really wish they had blown this game. They sounded entirely too confident in the post game interviews. Had they blown a 4-0 lead with a period to go against the 3rd worst offence in the WHL and still lost it might have served as a wake up call.

The team needs to commit to defence more. Schlemko in particular is at times looking very bad in his own end, and the forwards are getting caught up ice.

That's ok though, it's a long season.

Tiger Trauma
11-06-2006, 06:11 AM
Well I'm glad they came out with the win, still mustered enough to maintain 2 points.

We still have lots of room for improvement. Its not helping either that 2 of our 19 yr olds, and our #1 goalie are out with injuries.

A healthy daine todd, will give our powerplay,faceoffs, and offence a huge boost. And Jerrid sauer will give us that penalty killing prowess, and help with defensive responsibilities.

I just really hope that todd's shoulder fully heals, and will hold up the rest of this season. Losing him would be a huge blow.

One positive to take out is, our depth players Grant, and escpecially Lowry and wasden have been playing extremly well IMO, and working thier butts off.

Its too bad barker wasn't here:) we could use his presence on the back-end

bandwagonboy
11-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Well, we agree about one thing. Like many I've been critical about barker. But it's impossible to argue that they aren't a better team with him in the line up.

With Barker last year they were 1st or 2nd in the league in penalty kill and in the top 3 or 4 in total defence. Now they are squarely in the middle in both catagories (unless you believe like Ridley does that 9th and 8th in a 21 team league is 'right at the top'). Unless of course you believe maxwell, todd, block and psurny to be the reasons for that.

This team needs a shake up. They need to start commiting to defence first. It's time for guys like Schlemko to worry less about end to end rushes and more about what's going on in front of his own goaltender.

I think they have the tools and I'm not worried. I'm just telling it as I see it. I could be wrong.

And if they think this is hard, playing without sauer and todd. Wait until they are playing without Helm, Russell and Todd.

Tiger Trauma
11-07-2006, 04:44 AM
They need to start commiting to defence first.

100% agree

Thier defensive zone play needs some adjusting. Whether it's a trade or getting guys to commit more, something must be done.

bandwagonboy
11-07-2006, 03:38 PM
Well like I said, they have the tools. In this league you fix your problems, you don't trade them away. Willy just has to get them playing better, and he will.