11-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Ray of light
By Doyle Potenteau
Sunday, November 5, 2006, 12:01 AM

http://www.kelownadailycourier.ca/article_3549.php

Email this article
Send a Letter to the Editor about this Story
Printer friendly page

When Chris Ray scores, the Kelowna Rockets win.
Saturday night at Prospera Place proved no exception.
Kelowna’s captain lit the lamp twice, opening and almost closing the scoring, as the Rockets beat the Prince George Cougars 4-2. Of Kelowna’s five meager WHL victories this season, Ray has opened the scoring in three of them, including last night.
“I didn’t know that,” said Ray, who now has four goals on the season. “As long as we score first, it doesn’t have to be me, it gives the guys an edge to go play. Sixty minutes is what we have to play, and if we get the first one, that helps.”
Cody Almond and Troy Ofukany, who did close out the scoring with an empty-net goal at 19:59 of the third period, also reached the scoresheet for Kelowna (5-11-0-2).
Saturday’s game was just the sixth time this season that Kelowna scored first, Ray with his third, a power-play marker at 4:28. Ray’s second of the night, at 8:30 of the third, proved to be the game winner.
Devin Setoguchi, with his third of the season, and Jared Walker, with his sixth, replied for the Cougars (5-10-0-2), who erased a 2-0 deficit with back-to-back power-play goals in the second period.
Kris Westblom turned aside 37 shots for the Rockets, who snapped a five-game losing streak after losing 4-1 in Spokane, Wash., on Friday. Real Cyr made 18 saves for the Cougars, who have lost three straight.
“We played well, but Westblom stood on his head,” said Cougars defenceman Jesse Dudas, the game’s third star. “We had a lot of shots, but not too many quality chances. We should have had more chances, but, all in all, we played pretty well.”
“I faced a few more shots (than usual), but our defence did a great job blocking their quality opportunities,” replied Westblom, the game’s first star. “They did a good job of taking care of the slot and those high-risk areas, which left me with outside shots.
“Prince George has a good offence, but the main thing is we limited their good opportunities.”
Concerning Ray’s scoring touch, which leads to Kelowna victories, Westblom said “Really? I didn’t know that. It just goes to show he’s a great player for us. He leads by example, and that’s what we need.”
ICE CHIPS: Kelowna’s scratches were C Colin Long, LW Brandon McMillan, LW Matthew Brusciano (wrist, day-to-day) and D Tysen Dowzak (head, day-to-day). Prince George’s scratches were C Dan Gendur (ankle, day-to-day), D Patrick Vrana, RW Dale Hunt and LW Steven Kajic (flu, day-to-day). . . . Kelowna was 2-for-8 on the power play; Prince George was 2-9. . . . The three stars were Kelowna’s Kris Westblom, Chris Ray and Prince George’s Jesse Dudas.