PDA

View Full Version : WHL Player of the Week

Hunt24
11-06-2006, 01:59 PM
goes to Peter Mueller of Everett.

Mueller earned player of the week honours by scoring 2 goals and 6 points in 3 games, including a shootout game winner, helping the Silvertips to a 3-0-0-0 record last week.

This is pretty funny to me. Let's look at Cody Franson's week:

Game 1 - No points
Game 2 - 2 G 2 A (inlcuding the overtime winner)
Game 3 - 2 A
Game 4 - 1 G (the overtime winner)

Totals - 4 GP 3 G 4 A, two game winners.

On the downside, he was -3 for the week. But the Giants went 2-1-0-1 against three of the toughest teams in the WHL, if not the country (Calgary, Red Deer, Medicine Hat). Everett was 3-0 against Saskatoon (6-10-0-1), Prince Albert (6-9-2-0) and Regina (8-8-1-1) - only 1 .500 team in the bunch.

The "honourable mention" went to Stephen DaSilva of Kootenay. He had 4 G and 3 A in 4 GP against the same collection of average teams plus a game against Moose Jaw (6-9-1-0).

I know the WHL needs to bang their drum about their draft eligible players, but which team of the three had the tougher road trip? Which player had the most important goals? I know Franny just got the P.O.M. award, but that should make it all the more impressive that he responded by getting better and putting those totals up against good teams,

Beaner
11-06-2006, 02:31 PM
I have to agree, Franson should have been at least an unhourable mention, but with all these things there is a lot of politics going on.

dondo
11-06-2006, 08:03 PM
it's crap frankly -- and whoever the selection committee needs to give their heads a collective shake, cause that's simply ridiculous considering the evidence and to not get an honorable mention on top of that is even more of a slap in the face.

I know its not about awards etc etc, but if a player continues to put up the numbers he should continue to get the recognition he deserves -- instead of someone saying oh he got it last time lets pick someone else.. that's not what it's about folks -- and the numbers aren't even close. boooooo..

rinkrat
11-06-2006, 08:17 PM
whoever the selection committee needs to give their heads a collective shake,..

NHL scouts.Like Beaner said,alot of politics.They have a job to do and they cover their butts and sometimes their bosses butts too.
(See "big business")