PDA

View Full Version : Parker upset over officiating

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-07-2006, 03:41 PM
Parker upset over officiating

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Regina Pats GM Brent Parker can expect to be a little lighter in the pocket book this week -- but it's a price he's willing to pay.

Parker initiated a verbal confrontation with the officiating crew after his team blew a 4-1 lead in Friday's 5-4 OT loss to the visiting Kootenay Ice.

The Pats were forced to kill seven straight power plays, including a trio of two-man advantages late in the third period, culminating in the game-tying goal with 24 seconds left in regulation.

After the game, Parker confronted referee Adam Byblow outside the officials' dressing room. In the midst of some heated comments, Parker put an exclamation point on the discussion by hoofing a nearby garbage can.

"There comes a point when you have to stand up for your (team)," explained Parker. "Our players and coaches work very hard. My allegiance is to them -- and to our fans. I felt they had been wronged."

Following the GM's tirade, Pats owner Russ Parker entered the officials room for a brief discussion.

"I don't think he was a peace maker," offered Brent Parker. "He had many of the same objections that I did."

Asked if there was anything he regretted about the incident, Parker paused before responding: "I felt it was something I needed to do. If they choose to fine our organization, so be it."

Saturday's contest turned ugly late in the second period after Pats defenceman Nick Ross delivered a clean open-ice hit on John Negrin, who got caught with his head down.

Curtis Billsten went after Ross, causing a brief melee. Ross was jumped again early in the third period by Luke Wiens. Both Kootenay players received instigator penalties, although Billsten's actions were offset by a mysterious triple-roughing call on Niko Snellman.

Brett Leffler went after Billsten with 28 seconds left in overtime, receiving a four-minute roughing penalty which led to Arnaud Jacquemet's overtime goal with three seconds left.

Following the contest, Pats newcomer Mike Reich told the Leader-Post he hadn't "seen something like that in three years in the league."

Head coach Curtis Hunt also expressed his dissatisfaction with the "third-party effort." According to the official game sheet, Hunt received a misconduct at the end of the third period.

The Pats are expected to be informed of their punishment sometime in the next couple of days. It won't be the first time Parker has been fined for an unscheduled visit to the officials' room, but "it has been a while," he noted.

The last time the WHL took disciplinary action against Parker was almost two years ago -- in February of 2005 -- when he was fined a whopping $2,500 for "inappropriate conduct," due largely to comments made to the media following a run-in with the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Parker, who was told at the time to keep his opinions out of the public forum, had also been fined $1,000 earlier that month for criticism of the league's officiating.

Despite past incidents, Parker has been among the more vocal proponents of the league's new officiating standard -- also emphasizing the need for patience through a difficult adjustment period.

"I think I have been very patient," he added. "This was totally unrelated (to the new rules)."

NOTE: The Pats announced Monday they are contributing $10,000 to the Garrett Robinson Recovery Fund. The team raised $5,000 through a silent auction and donations on the weekend. Owner Russ Parker will match that contribution. The money, along with a get-well card signed by fans, is to be presented to the Moose Jaw Warriors when they visit the Brandt Centre on Saturday night. Robinson, who remains in critical but stable condition, was transported by air ambulance on the weekend from Regina to the Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster, B.C., which is near his hometown of Surrey.

Im happy that finally somebody acknowledges the quality of the officiating in the league. Everyone seems to just brush the issue aside and assume that the official is always right (well, the management,media, etc. definatly not the fans). Its a pretty interesting article, and I didnt expect anything to be said about it, there never was before...

Beaner
11-07-2006, 03:45 PM
Im happy that finally somebody acknowledges the quality of the officiating in the league. Everyone seems to just brush the issue aside and assume that the official is always right (well, the management,media, etc. definatly not the fans). Its a pretty interesting article, and I didnt expect anything to be said about it, there never was before...

I agree. I wish that more GM's and owners would step up and say what the really think about the quality of officiating.

Maybe enough bad press about it would push the league to actually do something about it.

I am sure a lot is said behind closed doors, but that doesn't seem to be getting anything done to change things. Time to use the media to get some kind of change going, fines be damned.

scrunt
11-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Maybe enough bad press about it would push the league to actually do something about it.

And what is your recommendation? While I agree that the reffing in the league is inconsistent and quite infuriating at times, I fail to see a solution. Presumbly the current crop of refs are the best available for this level (if not, can someone explain why not?) and in that case, where do we go from here? More meetings between the league and the refs to gain better call consistency? Hiring more refs? Hiring fewer refs? Letting players play using the honour system, with no refs at all?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be impudent, but it's easy to criticize (and I do it a lot with the refs too) but what can be done?? Any former/current refs in the family here that can provide some insight?

Bran
11-08-2006, 01:11 AM
And what is your recommendation? While I agree that the reffing in the league is inconsistent and quite infuriating at times, I fail to see a solution. Presumbly the current crop of refs are the best available for this level (if not, can someone explain why not?) and in that case, where do we go from here? More meetings between the league and the refs to gain better call consistency? Hiring more refs? Hiring fewer refs? Letting players play using the honour system, with no refs at all?

Sorry, I'm not trying to be impudent, but it's easy to criticize (and I do it a lot with the refs too) but what can be done?? Any former/current refs in the family here that can provide some insight?
There are always going to be problems, no one is perfect. If I did my job as poorly as some of the refs we see out here, I wouldn't have one for very long. You could probably say the same. As for what they could do about it, I don't really know. Maybe meetings between the league and refs would help. Some form of discipline for poor performance. If a team figures a game is particularily bad maybe they could send in game tapes for review? Of course that would mean someone would have to take the time to sit and scrutinize the games, and try to decide whether or not the ref was wrong, try to decide if it was simple human error, if they didn't see what was going on, were they paying attention, did they ignore a blatant penalty, call something that clearly wasn't there, etc. The problem with all this is that it's very subjective. In this case you not only have to judge whether or not the call was right, but also the reasoning behind the call, which is the most difficult part. This would be very time consuming. Maybe league guys could sit in on randomly selected games and judge the officials during the game, which may be easier. Let the officials know ahead of time that someone will be watching games but not telling them which games. Kind of a 'secret shopper' approach to get them to be on their best behaviour. I really don't know. It's obviously a problem, but there are no simple answers. I would, however, appreciate it if the league would try something.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-08-2006, 08:12 PM
Straight from the WHL website....

CALGARY, AB - The Western Hockey League announced today that a complete review of the game
between the Kootenay Ice and Regina Pats on Friday, November 3, 2006 in Regina has been completed.

The WHL Office has determined that the performance of the referee was below the expected standard of officiating in the League. As a result, the League will be disciplining the referee in an appropriate manner.

As well, the WHL Office has determined that the actions of Regina Pats management following the game was not acceptable. As a result, the Regina Pats Hockey Club has been fined $1,500.00

I think that after getting the League to admit that Byblow blew the game was worth getting the fine. I dont think I have ever seen that before. Way to stand up for your team Parker!

Now the League should review all the other games this season and see how many punishments are handed out. :laugh:

SectionNDeserter
11-08-2006, 09:14 PM
What exactly can they do to discipline a WHL referee? Take back the $30 they paid him for that game? :laugh: Doesn't get them that game back, but I guess it is a bit of a moral victory to get them to admit that he did a poor job.

scrunt
11-08-2006, 09:22 PM
What exactly can they do to discipline a WHL referee? Take back the $30 they paid him for that game? :laugh: Doesn't get them that game back, but I guess it is a bit of a moral victory to get them to admit that he did a poor job.

That relates to the point I was making above. Is this discipline going to make Byblow a better referee? I somehow doubt it.

If we're lucky the WHL will put some effort into educating and training the refs throughout the season to make sure they are on the same page and to make sure the calibre is as good as it can be. I would have thought there was a regular program to review games and help refs see the tolerances, but maybe not.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-08-2006, 09:41 PM
That relates to the point I was making above. Is this discipline going to make Byblow a better referee? I somehow doubt it.

If we're lucky the WHL will put some effort into educating and training the refs throughout the season to make sure they are on the same page and to make sure the calibre is as good as it can be. I would have thought there was a regular program to review games and help refs see the tolerances, but maybe not.

If that is the case and he keeps up this crap, then Byblow should lose his job, if not after how he reffed the last game, because he hasnt been exactly perfect in the past. We wont exactly miss him :laugh:.

I think they should make the consequences for fixing a game, like byblow did in the Ice game, alot larger than what it probably is now. Byblow will probably just get a slap on the wrist and then told not to do it again, or maybe a small fine. They should fire the officials on the spot when it becomes obvious what they are doing. It seems a little extreme but it would fix the problem. I know for a fact that guys like Savage, and Smith, and Matsuoka(who is an AHL Ref now by the way), etc know what they are doing. They arent as stupid as they come off as, they are controlling the game the way they like it. Its all about becomnig a factor in the game. A small fine wont do much, Byblow will probably to it to another team again, with our luck, we'll get him again.

RunTheGoalie
11-09-2006, 12:16 AM
I know for a fact that guys like Savage, and Smith, and Matsuoka(who is an AHL Ref now by the way), etc know what they are doing.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

nivek_wahs
11-09-2006, 02:45 AM
If that is the case and he keeps up this crap, then Byblow should lose his job, if not after how he reffed the last game, because he hasnt been exactly perfect in the past. We wont exactly miss him :laugh:.Maybe the next time we get him he will help screw over the opponent. Maybe his games will be monitored a little more closely to alleviate any problems or irregularities... or not... remember who the Director of Officiating is :skeptical (I will not name names...:laugh: ).

nivek_wahs
11-09-2006, 12:35 PM
League disciplines Parker as well as the referee (http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=672)

League disciplines Parker as well as the referee

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, November 09, 2006

The jury is still out on whether Regina Pats GM Brent Parker got his money's worth, but it does appear that he got his point across.

Following a complete review of Friday's game between the Pats and Kootenay Ice, the WHL announced Wednesday that Parker has been fined $1,500 for his actions following the contest, including a verbal confrontation with referee Adam Byblow.

According to the WHL, Byblow will also be disciplined "in the appropriate manner" after it was deemed that his performance in the game was "below the expected standard of officiating in the league."

"It's all packaged together," WHL vice-president Richard Doerksen said of the league's actions. "Obviously we're concerned any time an official doesn't do as well as we anticipate he'll do when he goes on the ice. Likewise, we expect the teams to go through the proper course of expressing their concern. That's through the league office and the director of officiating as opposed to taking it into their own hands."

It's believed to be the first time the WHL has announced publicly that an official will be disciplined for performance reasons.

Parker took the high road when asked if he felt vindicated by the ruling.

"I think all of us -- fans, players, coaches, management -- want our product to be the best it can be," said the Pats' GM. "We're all working towards that. Sometimes along the way we have some bumps in the road."

This bump qualifies as a crater.

The Pats took issue with the officiating Friday night after they were forced to kill seven straight power plays -- including a trio of two-man advantages -- in the late stages of a 5-4 overtime loss. Regina blew a 4-1 lead, surrendering the game-tying marker with 28.5 seconds left in regulation as well as the game-winner with three seconds remaining in overtime.

Pats head coach Curtis Hunt was tossed at the end of the third period while Parker added his two cents outside the referee's dressing room after the game.

The fact that the WHL didn't approve was no surprise.

"We respect that the league had to do something," said Parker, who has been fined in past seasons for unscheduled visits to the referee's room.

However, this most recent incident was his first indiscretion in almost two years.

"I guess there is always the repeat offender category that we generally apply to players," noted Doerksen. "Conceivably that could come into play (with a coach or manager). I don't think it has come into play at all on this one. Yet, I think Brent fully understands that if he has another situation this season that it would be deemed that way."

The WHL also absolved Pats defenceman Nick Ross for the check on Kootenay's John Negrin which incited a brief melee -- and caused further incidents of retribution.

Negrin had his head down while carrying the puck across Regina's blueline and was levelled by Ross. The Ice accused Ross of leaving his feet and delivering an elbow to the head.

"We looked at the hit, as requested by Kootenay under our provisions for supplemental discipline," said Doerksen. "I've notified both clubs that it was a legal hit."

Negrin, who was playing his first game of the season due to a previous ankle injury, remained down for a few minutes before he was helped to the dressing room.

The defenceman suffered a concussion and is expected to miss at least a week.