PDA

View Full Version : Potential Rule change

Tiger Trauma
02-20-2005, 09:51 PM
I heard the league is considering for next year.... If you ice the puck....the team that iced the puck, it's players would have to stay on the ice for the next faceoff....

What does everyone think about this????

fightstrap50
02-20-2005, 09:58 PM
I dont agree with stupid little rule twirks here and there like this one! hockey got to where it is today by the rules set in place long ago with some exceptions.There is a point to iceing the puck at points in a game to either calm things down or to get tired guys off the ice.If the leagues are all so concerned about there being more goals scored why would you want a bunch of tired guys all draggin around out there instead of fresh legs!! now for an experiment why dont they try, and i stress TRY no three line pass rule!i kindof like that in a way

The_Vulk
02-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Tag-up off-side!

It matters not what arena I went to see a game in, it is a universal "bring back" rule.

It would so help the flow of the game.

Chipper
02-21-2005, 10:02 AM
I agree with the "get rid of the red line" rule look how it was at the world juniors very exciting hockey and a better way to deal with the trap. I think eventualy this will be in the NHL.

Jovorock
02-21-2005, 12:50 PM
The icing team stay on the ice would be stupid, I do like getting rid of the redline. Tagup offside I agree that it would hurt the development and creativity of the defensemen and would be a bad rule change.

Fight Guy
02-21-2005, 03:50 PM
All I want to see it tag-up offsides back, and getting rid of the red-line. Would open up the game more, and could get rid of the stupid trap. And with tag-up offside, you wouldnt have as much time to set something up and would have to move the puck fast. More preasure is better.

The rule first suggested I dont like at all.

Flathead
02-21-2005, 08:56 PM
If you listen to just about all NHL reps, they will tell you that the getting rid of the red line DOES NOT, increase scoring. It works great for short periods of time, like in the Olympics, World Juniors, etc. Without a red line teams that trap, just play a deeper trap and in fact the deeper trap makes the game even slower.
I think they have to do something about the icing, the game has lost a lot of hustle and flow because of the no touch icing. The team icing the puck could get to the puck first a lot more than what you think. And the linesmen don't make anyone skate for the icing, they need to be waving a lot more icings off.
The tag up off side NEEDS to be brought back, I think everyone agrees on that one.

Teaps
02-21-2005, 09:25 PM
I absolutly agree about the no touch icings...Sure it decreases the risk of injury and speeds up the game, but it has been the demise of the fast paced action that existed BEFORE that stupid rule was introduced.

RunTheGoalie
02-21-2005, 11:24 PM
I agree with the "get rid of the red line" rule look how it was at the world juniors very exciting hockey and a better way to deal with the trap. I think eventualy this will be in the NHL.

The AJHL uses this rule, and it is horrible. Such a play actually works one time in ten, and two thirds of the time it doesnt, it destroys what could otherwise have been a good breakout play. I tend to think that it actually stifles offense overall.

As for the suggestion that started this thread: why? It's pointless. While the competition committees should always be looking for ways to improve the game, I would really love to hear a justification of what preventing a line change would add to the game.

Tag up offsides really needs to be brought back. I'd love to see the WHL do that immediately, rather than wait for the NHL to force the move.

Number_4
02-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Tag-up offside would be a good thing to bring back. Not only does it improve the flow of the game, as it makes it faster paced and exciting, it just makes it better for the fans.

No matter what rule changes the whl is considering, they have to keep in mind not only the players, but the fans. Once the players leave the dub and move on or up, they have to get used to totally new rules. For some that transition is easy, others have a bit more trouble and it hurts their development, and ultimatly, their chances of making the jump to the pro's quickly. The dub is a developmental league that should stick to the rules that have been set out in the higher leagues, mainly the AHL and the NHL.

The fans want a fast moving, exciting game. While this is not necessarily the trap, I dont think its right to make new rules or change existing rules to try to make teams not play the trap. Yes, more scoring would be nice, but if you look at teams like Brandon, Calgary and Lethbridge, you can see that there is still teams that play offensive hockey, and are successful at it.

Just my two cents... any opinions?

Willis on the Welfare
02-22-2005, 11:50 AM
If you remove the redline then coaches will find a way to coach around that, and then world juniors, world cups and olympics will be just as bad. Tag up offside is good but other than that just CALL THE HOOKING AND HOLDING! Instead of dreaming up these half brained keep people on the ice after icing, make the blueline bigger, take out the redline, move the nets back, ban the goalie from going behind the net, make sure the goalie has little more than a sears catalogue on his legs ideas, just CALL PENALTIES!!!

Tiger Trauma
02-22-2005, 12:41 PM
back to the icing thing....I would like to see this be experimented on.....you would get some teams that have played at the MH arena like P.G, P.A....they would be worn down quite a bit from forechecking....after a minute long shift...they would have to stay on the ice........on the other hand...they also get a quick 20 seconds of rest...enough rest to get the puck out of their zone if they win they faceoff?....I would sort of like to see this rule in maybe an exhibition game or something......It sort of seems like cheating if all one team has to do is ice the puck to release pressure??.........My two cents

Beaner
03-07-2005, 04:32 PM
From, http://www.canada.com/vancouver/theprovince/index.html

Throw away the puck and you might not get a line change
PROPOSED RULE: Commissioner wants icing epidemic cured

Steve Ewen
The Province

Sunday, March 06, 2005

WHL fans frustrated by teams hammering the puck the length of the ice every time they get in trouble could be in luck.

League commissioner Ron Robison confirmed that the circuit is considering bringing in a rule next year that would see squads unable to change lines if they ice the puck.

Those intentional icings have been an epidemic at times in the league this year and it can rob a game of its flow.

The Everett Silvertips are considered the worst offenders, but every team in the league is guilty of it from time to time.

It doesn't happen as much in the NHL, since more experienced players aren't as apt to panic when the opposition is bearing down.

"We want to improve the entertainment value of the game, but we don't want to change the nature of the game," said Robison. "We're just looking at slight modifications here.

"The quality of coaching in our league has improved dramatically the past few years, and the game has become very structured."

Robison said the league is also looking at nixing unnecessary stoppages by goaltenders to improve proceedings.

The WHL will bring these recommendations to the Ontario and Quebec leagues when the three loops get together for the Canadian Hockey League meetings in the summer, he said.

Robison said he'd like all three leagues to be uniform, but he's not against using his league as a test case.

sewen@png.canwest.com

© The Vancouver Province 2005