PDA

View Full Version : Giants 3 vs Bruins 1 nov10th

dondo
11-11-2006, 01:59 AM
Not bad hockey all in all and the crowd was nigh 12,000. Rehman was officiating and between he and Raphael I thought we were in for a travesty, but for the most part other than his notorious inconsistency the reffing was a non-factor over-all. It helped that both teams PPs were fairly anemic so didn't really contribute to the final score.

Some good hitting, skating, goals and generally a good game to be in the seats for.

my recap enjoy

Giants Bruise Bruins
Vancouver 3 Chilliwack 1

The Giants first home game after a mostly successful extended road trip through the Central division was taking on the newest team in the league, and the BC division, the Chilliwack Bruins. The Bruins have had some growing pains but as of late have been putting together decent efforts in front of their home crowd. They have two players in the top 20 in scoring in the WHL and both are rookies to the league. 18 yr old Mark Santorelli leads the team with 26 pts (now 27), and his line-mate 17 yr old Oscar Moller has notched 21. That’s where the depth ends as the next closest player in another line-mate of those two Josh Aspenlind who has a respectable 17 pts. The Bruins however, were coming into this game on a bit of losing slide dropping their last four games.

The Giants opened the game with a line of Tim Kraus, Kyle Lamb and Garet Hunt and that line stayed mostly consistent throughout the game including on the PP. However it was Milan Lucic, playing on a line with Mario Bliznak and Michal Repik who would garner the first goal just over four minutes into the game. The goal came off the rush as Lucic and Bliznak stormed into the zone and Bliznak waited and waited until both the goalie and d-man had committed before chipping a soft pass back cross crease onto to Lucic’s stick for the tally. Lucic stayed back enough to separate himself from the Chilliwack D and by the end Bruins goalie Jim Watt had no chance to make the save. The Giants went up by two on the PP with Kraus working the puck back to the point after making some nice moves to maintain possession. Cody Franson with his usual picture perfect wrister about two inches off the ice, fired it at the net and everybody’s favourite grinder Garet Hunt neatly tipped it through the wickets. Off the ensuing face-off, Partik Bhungal decided to get his team going by testing the mettle of Milan Lucic. He should not have bothered as Lucic got the upper-hand and kept it landing and missing big haymakers. To Bhungal’s credit he stayed standing through most of it and hung in there until the Lucic finally toppled him and then refrained from landing the final cocked blow. The Giants held the Bruins to zero shots on net in the first and controlled the play, cutting off the angles with machine-like efficiency, but only managed 8 shots of their own which is below average for the Vancouver squad.

The Giants went up three early in the second, about four minutes in to be exact. Off of some tenacious work in the Bruins end Mitch Czibere put one past Jim Watt. Jason Reese and JD Watt aggressively worked the puck along the boards and found Czibere as he cut across the goal-mouth, snapping the puck past the Bruins’ tender. The Giants continued to work the Chilliwack players in their own zone, pressure the puck and just do what the Giants did at home or on the road. They play disciplined close checking hockey and make it very difficult for their opponents to get quality shots on goal. The G-Men had a hard time clicking with their PP though, as they went only 1 for 10 on the man-advantage and had at one point a full two minute 5 on 3. Although they looked dangerous at times, I felt that maybe they were trying too hard to score highlight reel goals as opposed to just getting it in the net. To Chilliwack’s credit though they blocked a ton of shots and had very active sticks chipping away passes with great regularity.

The Giants continued the third as they ended the second finishing off the last seconds of the 5 on 3 and then went back to making sure the Bruins players didn’t get anywhere near the net. Unfortunately Bruins’ sniper Mark Santorelli broke Dustin Slade’s shutout bid at 15:19 of the final stanza with a solid individual effort. The G-men made a mistake clearing their zone and Santorelli picked up the loose puck and came in on the right wing and using the Giants player as a screen snapped the puck far-side on Slade. The goal was unassisted and it is one the Slade probably would want back as it appeared that he was cheating and got beat on the far-side. The shot came on about the 8th shot of the game for the Chilliwack squad, who would only hit double digits off of a last second chip at the Vancouver net from centre-ice.

Franson and Mikkelson both had solid outings this evening, and notables included Garet Hunt, Tim Kraus, Milan Lucic and John Flatters who played a very quietly effective game. The G-Men went 1 for 10 on the PP, while holding Chilliwack to donuts on 7 chances. The final shot count was 27-10 for the home squad.

Next up - Kamloops comes to town for their first game versus the Giants this season. The Blazers have been on a bit of tear as of late riding the goaltending of Dustin Butler, who they acquired early in the season from Portland, and could prove challenging to the Vancouver team. The Blazers, riding a 5 game winning streak, will be ready to take on their division rivals on Sunday (Nov 12th). The puck drops at the Coliseum at 5pm. Should be a good one.

Three Stars
1 - Garet Hunt
2 – Milan Lucic
3 – John Flatters

Swando
11-11-2006, 02:13 AM
Good review Dondo.. I agree with all but wish to add Czibiere in the mix of notables that played a good game. Whether it was playing against a less than formidable opponent I thot Mitch played the best game so far this year as far as I could see. He had a lot of jump, finished checks, and hussled all night. I truly thot he was the 1st star. Credit to Hunt the spark plug he is, but I watched Czibiere and I thot he was the best Giant tonight.
It's really hard to grade the game tonight as to how players "played" - Wack did not pose much of a thread at any point and the score could have been 10-1.
I think that the late goal on Slade is a good thing. 3 times now he has lost his bid for a shut out in the last 1-5 minutes (2 x against these Bruins and once against Seattle). He will only get satisfaction by getting a shut out in games such as these ( and there will be a few of them) so he MUST STAY FOCUSED for 60 minutes. The goal tonight was real weak, screen or no screen it was from well outside the circle

dondo
11-11-2006, 02:19 AM
oh yeah weak goal whihc is why I think he peeked inside and got beat far-side not a great goal and you could see it by how he reacted to it -- apparently Dan (the non-superstitious one) mentioned the shutout word mere seconds before the goal... da bastid

you sir are correct I should have mentioned Czibere as he was all over the ice as well -- in fact that line looked pretty good all night long. Actually everyone played their roles so well that there were a few standouts, but Mitch deserved the recognition.

Swando
11-11-2006, 02:35 AM
I missed the post game talk as it reverted to 980 and Dung Russel ( spelling is correct). I have to throw out a question here... Flatters being 3rd star.. OKAY we all love John and would love to see him play more if he deserved it. Tonight he played as much as I have seen him since he arrived from Red Deer last year about this time. Do you think it was for scouts in the building that he was 3rd star? I do I admire John's work ethic and team concept first but he lacks the gifted role of a defenceman in this league.
He played his best hockey at forward last year. I think he was been marketed tonight. Just my thot.

rinkrat
11-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Do you think it was for scouts in the building that he was 3rd star? I do[/B] I admire John's work ethic and team concept first but he lacks the gifted role of a defenceman in this league.
He played his best hockey at forward last year. I think he was been marketed tonight. Just my thot.

Maybe he got a star for not getting a penalty. :D
Flatts played a solid game,I noticed him a couple times doing something productive.

dj-kris
11-11-2006, 10:06 AM
apparently Dan (the non-superstitious one) mentioned the shutout word mere seconds before the goal... da bastid

he did that to us in game 1 against kelowna 12 seconds after he blurted it out they scored

just for the record he said it with 457 left and chilliwack scored at 443 14 seconds later in vancouer

BruinsFan19
11-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Yeah but they were still going on about how they're "not superstitious" when Santorelli scored. And then they both kind of shut up and were like "uhhhh...".

Hunt24
11-11-2006, 01:08 PM
Flatters wasn't a star last night. It was Hunt, Lucic and Bliznak. :)

scrunt
11-11-2006, 02:18 PM
It was tough to pick starts last night as so many of the Giants played good solid games. We usually predict our own three stars before the official announcements in the building and mine were Hunt, Flatters and Kraus.

I picked Flatters because I thought he was our strongest hitter of the night, dishing out several solid checks along the boards without putting himself out of position. Also, early in the game one of the Bruins looked to be going in on a partial break and Flatters just put his head down, caught up with the guy and took the puck away. In retrospect there were better choices than Kraus, and certainly Czibere looked good. Normally I have to make an effort to notice Bliznak, but last night he seemed to be much more visible on the rush.

On a different note, for the first time this season we watched the Giants pre-game warmup instead of the visitors, and I noticed that Sexsmith barely took any shots at all in the warmup, which seemed strange to me. Is this his normal routine? :confused: On most teams the starter takes about 2/3 of each drill, then signals the backup to step in. Slade was in for almost the whole of every drill, and when he bailed Tyson usually stayed in the corner or took some shots at the net. Anyway, I thought it was a bit odd.

Beaner
11-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the recaps gang, missed the game due to work.

N.W. Bruin
11-11-2006, 08:29 PM
Once he gets back they can split up the threesome and put Muller or Santorelli with Petkau.

Bruin thought here: even though Kangasmaki is thought of as a power forward the Bruins should release him after this season and use their first round CHL import pick which maybe as low as fourth overall if they finish dead last in the league and add a top end quality second import. WHL having first pick this year and Edmonton getting that leaving the worst of the 21 WHL teams to next pick at pick four.

Though they lose Aspenlind as he is a overage this year they could get Petkau back as a overage to go with Muller and Santorelli. Add in Howse with a new import forward and hopefully another prospect or current player progresses and they could have two good lines next season.

One only has to look back at the Giants' first season to remember the growing pains. And that wasn't even my worst season as I went through a ten win, one tie and sixty one loss season (10 minute overtime games included but no three point games) and that was only in the second season after winning the Memorial Cup.

rinkrat
11-11-2006, 08:45 PM
And that wasn't even my worst season as I went through a ten win, one tie and sixty one loss season (10 minute overtime games included but no three point games) and that was only in the second season after winning the Memorial Cup.

I was living in Kelowna when the Wings came to town.Oh man!
12 wins then 15 wins,brutal. :dead:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/teamseasons.php?tid=1194

BruinsFan19
11-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Once he gets back they can split up the threesome and put Muller or Santorelli with Petkau.

I seriously doubt that'll happen. I can't see them breaking up Moller, Santorelli and Aspenlind.

They brough in Johnstone to play with Petkau and Smuk. Once they're all healthy I'm sure they'll get going.

Carebear
11-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Yay Giants!

Shoulda scored more though.

I was disappointed when I found out that yet again Hunt scored and I wasn't there to see it....BUT...I happened to tape the game..so I've watched the goal about 10 times now! yahoo