PDA

View Full Version : Time for a coching shuffle?

lever
11-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Hunchak due for promotion at least to co coach?

broncos
11-11-2006, 11:36 PM
Something will change, and my guess is there is a trade in the mix possibly a 20 year old shuffle. What has changed from how they are playing now from how they played at the beginning of the year?

Flathead
11-12-2006, 12:39 AM
Something will change, and my guess is there is a trade in the mix possibly a 20 year old shuffle. What has changed from how they are playing now from how they played at the beginning of the year?
What has changed is that other teams have improved and we have not. If there is a trade in the works I hope it's for someone that can put the puck in the net. But I also believe that the blame for our lack of scoring shouldn't be all put on the players, the coaching could have something to do with it as well. They never get to play with same lines. We're down 2 goals with 5 minutes left and they put out the high scoring line(sarcasm) of Smith, Toulmin and Postma??? I have nothing against these three, but they're not known as goal scorers, Postma isn't even a real forward. I realize everybody is trying, nobody wants to lose, but it's not working. It's the same inconsistent season, with a very talented team, that we had last year and the year before. Maybe it is because not everybody is playing the systems put in place, I don't know. What I do know is that the post game show is becoming like an episode of Seinfeld, yada yada yada.

Toswammi
11-12-2006, 02:34 AM
I would love nothing more than to see in the news next week that Hunchak is the new head coach so Dean can focus on the GM job.
As for a trade, yeah we could use something like that to shake/wake this team up.

SectionNDeserter
11-12-2006, 08:04 AM
Am I missing something?!?! Why would the Broncos make a coaching change when they are in second place in their division?!?!

Son of a Preacher Man
11-12-2006, 08:56 AM
Mostly because Hunchack is over qualified to be an assistant and i'm sure he would like to be a head coach. He also talks to the players when they come off the ice and tries to teach them. The players don't seem to be playing to their full potential and a change may be what would get them going. Defensive hockey is great but when you have players who had alot of offence before coming to the Broncos and now have dropped off dramatically then maybe we need a run and gun team. Not sure whats missing but we have seen this for almost three years. I agree maybe Dean should concentrate on being just g.m. and let Hunchack run the bench.

Toswammi
11-12-2006, 10:29 AM
Am I missing something?!?! Why would the Broncos make a coaching change when they are in second place in their division?!?!
In my opinion Hunchak is a better coach, and if he doesnt get the job before the season he will leave for greener pastures.

broncos
11-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Moir for a scorer???? Thoughts????

Flathead
11-12-2006, 12:22 PM
With the hockey they are playing right now, second place will be a long ways away in no time. We won some games at the begining of the season that we had no business winning, that's why we're in second place.

In my opinion Hunchak is a better coach, and if he doesnt get the job before the season he will leave for greener pastures.
I could totally see this happening as well, and it would be a huge loss.

Flathead
11-12-2006, 12:23 PM
Moir for a scorer???? Thoughts????
It's hard to trade a 20 year old goalie, for much more than draft picks, even if it is Moir.

2,5,andagame
11-12-2006, 12:45 PM
Where is there a scorer available????????

dubfan
11-12-2006, 02:14 PM
I try and listen to the post game show most nights and I quite often hear Dave talking about how the "coaches" have the plan in place and over and again "some" of the players don't get it or are on their own page, imo either lack the hockey intelligence or the discipline to execute the game plan.

IMO the lack of TEAM execution is what is stalling he team right now. The power play is out of sync and that is because it is not executed by ALL five players.

The lack of consistent scoring is a team problem and it wouldn't matter if you were able to get the second coming of Ray Ferraro because the team has trouble with the transition from the defense to the forwards for any kind of attack. The experienced D-men are not gifted skill players with their passing and puck movement which causes poor first passes which are usually the start of the attack, I see passes by NHL draft picks constantly ahead, 2 feet off the ice, in the skates or behind the forwards or defensive partner. IMO if a trade is be made they should look to aquire a good puck moving d-man it would create more scoring opportunities for the entire team than a proven scorer. It would be nice to get a skilled Euro D-man to fill that role instead of two similar type forwards next year as well.

As far as promoting Dave IMO do what ever it taks to keep him either associate head coach (some sort of team management shuffle) but none the less right now it looks like both Dave and Dean can't get the message through to the entire team.

The team is still generally young and close to putting it all together and being built to go far next year and then after that.

3wheeler
11-12-2006, 11:02 PM
Dean is an emotionless jerk. He is not a qualified coach.
What has he won?? NOTHING!!!!!

Has he been asked to assist any world junior programs? Not that I am aware of
Has he won any titles? Not as a coach.

He should see the light and listen to what the fans say behind his back.
That is get off the bench and let Dave have a go at head coach.

What can it hurt to try something different.
Dean's ever changing forward lines does not work. Just look at the Broncos record.
Quit line shuffling and let the kids play together.

If you players read this which I know many of you do, how about a revolt and no one show up for practice until Dean leaves the bench. But then he might not be smart enough to figure out what is going on.

Johnsy05
11-12-2006, 11:16 PM
It's hard to trade a 20 year old goalie, for much more than draft picks, even if it is Moir.

Not until the trade deadline anyways.

Johnsy05
11-12-2006, 11:38 PM

Schenderling and Benke will both be traded before the deadline.

Broncs in RD
11-13-2006, 03:46 AM
In my opinion Dean had a big mess to clean up here when he came, I think he has done a decent job as a GM especially with the bantam draft. Personally Dave seems to be the better of the two at coaching, I believe he is 4-0 as the broncos coach when Dean is away. We have a lot of great youth here now and a couple of great 15 year olds in the works with Eakin, Martin and Greyeyes, which we have to credit Dean for. I don't think anyone expected us to be at the top of the East this year and so far we are.
Our core players are 18 and 17 years of age and we expect them to rack up huge points, with no real vetern leadership. Look at Moose jaw last year they had Boyd, Mcardle, Brower, Jones to help out the Hozaple, Wray and erhardt who that year had great seasons. Next year we will have Bortis, Nelson, Wudrick, Smith and Weise to help out the Greyeyes, Eakins, Irelands and Tassone these players will prosper with the leadership those players will be able provide next year. This year I find some games no one is leading our forward group like we had in the past, where we had guys like Beagle, Sysky, Ondrus and Hunter. I don't think it is all coaching, but rather a lack of leadership. Maybe that will change with a coaching move I don't know. Hunchuk is a great candidate though.

Flathead
11-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Not until the trade deadline anyways.
Even then I don't think you'll get much, all the top teams looking to make a push already have stellar goaltending. Everett-Irving, Vancouver-Slade, Medicine Hat-Keetley, Kootenay-Dakers, Tri Cities-Price. The only possiblities in my opinion would be Brandon if they think that they have a chance of making some kind of run, but they have Plante who's capable himself. The other possibility may be Kamloops who have really turned it up as of late, but Butler would have to go into a slump or something for this to happen as he's worked his way up to 8th in gaa. A team lower in the standings probally isn't going to trade much for a 20 year old goalie, who will not be back next year.

Johnsy05
11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Even then I don't think you'll get much, all the top teams looking to make a push already have stellar goaltending. Everett-Irving, Vancouver-Slade, Medicine Hat-Keetley, Kootenay-Dakers, Tri Cities-Price. The only possiblities in my opinion would be Brandon if they think that they have a chance of making some kind of run, but they have Plante who's capable himself. The other possibility may be Kamloops who have really turned it up as of late, but Butler would have to go into a slump or something for this to happen as he's worked his way up to 8th in gaa. A team lower in the standings probally isn't going to trade much for a 20 year old goalie, who will not be back next year.

good call... I guess if someones goalie goes down with a injury. I can actually see them holding on to both yonkman and moir anyways. But i still think the broncos need a trade or something to shake them up. And schendo definiatly has to go.

d-man
11-13-2006, 05:45 PM
The only possiblities in my opinion would be Brandon if they think that they have a chance of making some kind of run, but they have Plante who's capable himself. The other possibility may be Kamloops who have really turned it up as of late, but Butler would have to go into a slump or something for this to happen as he's worked his way up to 8th in gaa. A team lower in the standings probally isn't going to trade much for a 20 year old goalie, who will not be back next year.

Add Calgary to your list of possibles. Spence has been alright and the Hitmen look really good at times. The central is so tight they could finish anywhere from first to fourth. Veteran goalie could be the missing ingredient for them. I would say make the deal sooner than later and get Yonks more back to back games.

Link Dog
11-13-2006, 06:04 PM
I think a deal to try and trade Moir should have happened in preseason or earlier. Yonkman is rated to go in the third round of the NHL draft already. If there was a concern about the back end, we could have gotten another d-man along with a second line scorer for Moir. Now Yonkman will be drafted, play one full year as a 19 year old and then potentially be gone. As for Dean, perhaps he should concentrate on the GM duties. The players he has brought in are full of talent, and with the exception of Schendo, all players offensive numbers are up from what they were at this point last year. Hunchak is a proven head coach at the SJHL level (see what he did with the Klippers in Kindersley) so I would not have a problem seeing him take over the coaching reigns. Something has to be done to get this team to play to the level they can and on a consistent basis.

broncos
11-13-2006, 06:27 PM
They tried deals early in the pre season but with two goalies playing so hot why would you trade especially early in the year when they were in first? Yonks needs to play more as does Curtis for the future along with newly acquired draftees

Broncs in RD
11-14-2006, 05:48 AM
Schenderling and Benke will both be traded before the deadline.

I can see this happening as well, but what could we get in return? Like someone posted earlier there are not alot of snipers around. We are in a dog fight in the east right now as much as I would like to see Yonks as the #1 I think we need the Tandem to be succesful for now and a playoff run. The team that I see giving something up may be Portland they have kinda struggled and have a great 20 year old in Klinkhammer and a 19 in McLaren. They would both add a physical presence and a scoring touch. There really isn't much out there right now and the Warriors will be asking too much for Mcardle.

Johnsy05
11-14-2006, 06:02 AM
I can see this happening as well, but what could we get in return? Like someone posted earlier there are not alot of snipers around. We are in a dog fight in the east right now as much as I would like to see Yonks as the #1 I think we need the Tandem to be succesful for now and a playoff run. The team that I see giving something up may be Portland they have kinda struggled and have a great 20 year old in Klinkhammer and a 19 in McLaren. They would both add a physical presence and a scoring touch. There really isn't much out there right now and the Warriors will be asking too much for Mcardle.

I can't see portland giving up there top 2 scorers just for moir. Even if one is a 20 year old

Broncs in RD
11-14-2006, 06:28 AM
Sorry I wasn't saying giving up Moir for those two, I think we need moir and yonks they are a great tandem. For those two players in Portland maybe Schendo, Benke a 2nd round pick and maybe another player like a McAvoy.

Flathead
11-14-2006, 12:42 PM
Add Calgary to your list of possibles. Spence has been alright and the Hitmen look really good at times. The central is so tight they could finish anywhere from first to fourth. Veteran goalie could be the missing ingredient for them. I would say make the deal sooner than later and get Yonks more back to back games.
Calgary is a good possibility, and a veteran goalie may be what's missing for them, good call.

broncos
11-14-2006, 04:29 PM
Calgary wont happen because they have a 2 consecutive CHL goalie of the week. The only possibility for them would be a backup because he is struggling

Broncs in RD
11-15-2006, 01:00 AM
Maybe the Rebels would be interested, I know they have Reimer, but the team is in a flunk and it seems the Tending is not up to snuff, they are loaded with talent up front and Moir would be a big upgrade for them.

Big Ern
11-17-2006, 02:51 PM
QUOTE: "the coaching could have something to do with it as well."

PLEASE!! Spare us! Dean is one of the most out-going and friendliest coaches in the league, and he has a great team here. He also gets along great with ALL of his players, and will answer any questions fans may have. There's never anything happening behind closed doors, like there was with McEwen and Randy Smith. We're over .500...I think he's doing great...the best is yet to come from this club...We're on pace for at least a 40 win season.
Also, our fans have to realize that our team CAN'T win every night! Our fans are spoiled, and need to realize; it's better to come out in support of the team and see a loss, than to see no game at all!!

mjwfan
11-17-2006, 04:54 PM
I can't beleive some of u fans in Swift wanting a coaching change . In first place and wanting the coach fired .. Spoiled is what u guys are .. Just be happy you have a jr team to watch go to the rink and support your team win or lose , but don't call for a change everytime you lose two games in a row .
Don't here much in Moose Jaw about Steve Young being fired and look where we are in standings .. NOT happy with it , but change is not always the answer .

Willis on the Welfare
11-17-2006, 08:37 PM
it's better to come out in support of the team and see a loss, than to see no game at all!!

Well said Ernie. If you don't want a coaching change none of us should either.

I think I know who you are Ernie and I think you should post what you have to do to get to each Bronco game and how much you enjoy it while you're there, win or lose.

We could all take a lesson in supporting a team from this guy.

Tiger Trauma
11-18-2006, 05:15 AM
Last Nights game vs the tigers, was a really exciting game to watch. For the first 2 periods the broncos played well. Then in the third the tigers upped thier game a notch. The refs as usual had both teams hating him.

Toswammi
11-18-2006, 11:38 AM
I can't beleive some of u fans in Swift wanting a coaching change . In first place and wanting the coach fired .. Spoiled is what u guys are .. Just be happy you have a jr team to watch go to the rink and support your team win or lose , but don't call for a change everytime you lose two games in a row .
Don't here much in Moose Jaw about Steve Young being fired and look where we are in standings .. NOT happy with it , but change is not always the answer .
Just to clarify my only reason i would want a change is cause IMO Hunchak is a better coach. Its nothing against Dean he is an amazing GM in my eyes, just not the greatest coach.
With that said they could have maggie the monkey coaching the team and i would still show up win or lose.

Link Dog
11-18-2006, 01:24 PM
The boys definitely came to play last night. Battled hard and gave it all their best effort from the start. IMO, specialty teams was the difference. Does anyone else not like Rakos on the point on the PP? I know we don't have the most offensively gifted d-men, but Rakos seemed more effective working off the half boards on his off wing or being in front of the net. I can accept a loss like that against the Tigers, because they are a good team, only because the boys put forth a good effort and did not give up till the end. Hopefully they bury the chances tonight and come out of Kootney with a win.

Big Ern
11-18-2006, 02:29 PM
I think I know who you are Ernie

Willis On The Welfare, obviously you have talked to me somewhere. I'd like to know who you are. Please report to Section E Row 3 Seat 14 at Wednesday's game against Portland. (Your choice, of course.) :clap:

Flathead
11-19-2006, 10:55 AM
Just to clarify my only reason i would want a change is cause IMO Hunchak is a better coach. Its nothing against Dean he is an amazing GM in my eyes, just not the greatest coach.
With that said they could have maggie the monkey coaching the team and i would still show up win or lose.
My thoughts exactly.

Toswammi
11-19-2006, 12:13 PM
My thoughts exactly.
i think its a few ppls thoughts, but i dont actually know that.