PDA

View Full Version : Blazers 4 @ Giants 2 Nov. 12th

Beaner
11-12-2006, 10:02 PM
A good fast paced game as the Blazers out-worked the Giants to hand the G-men their first loss on home this season. Game was pretty entertaining to watch even though the Giants lost, but credit to the Blazers who beat the Giants to loose pucks, out-worked them for the most part along the boards and capitilized on their chances to win the game.

NOTES
Sexsmith and Butlker got the starts
Cunningham, Machacek (Shoulder), and Toigo were the Giants scratches
Shots 30-30
PP Blazers 1/5, Giants 0/4

GOALS
1. KAM Rodgers, (2) (Rowley), 16:24 (SH) 4-5, Miscue at the point and Rodgers goes in all alone with Repik chasing, Repik dives to try and knock the puck off Rodgers stick but rodgers manages to direct it 5-hole thru Sexsmith.
2. KAM Rodgers, (3) (Stretch, Mason), 15:59 6-5, Butler off for the Extra attacker, and Rodgers gets a feed from Stretch cross crease that he buries shelf over a diving Sexsmith.
2. VAN Festerling, (2) (Repik), 18:00 Festerling goes in down the wing after receiving the Repik pass, and blows a slapper past Butler High glovve side.
3. KAM Bartley, (1) (Macias), 14:16 (PP) 5-4 Bartley deflects the Macais shot thru traffic right in front of Sexsmith.
3. VAN Lucic, (7) (Festerling, Repik), 17:29 Point shot from the middle, that Lucic deflects right in front of Butler.
3. KAM Shattock, (2) (Ellerby), 19:08 (EN) Hard work again by the Blazers and Shattock goes in on the wing all alone and has nothing but net to shoot at.

FISTICUFFS
Kassian vs. Lucic

The battle we were all waiting for goes after a draw in the Blazers end. The 2 Heavyweights have a nice long square off, staring each other down, until Kassian moves in to grab on. A lot of spinning around and a few shots thrown, but nothing of any serious damage as both were trying to get the better postion. Kassian catches Lucic with a shot at the end that draws blood, and Kassian gets the take down. EDGE: Kassian

OFFICIATING
Smith and Poole tonight and they did a good job calling the game. But neither team really gave them any chance to call anything. Nice job from the stripes tonight.

OVERALL
A good effort from the Giants but not great. Seemed to be a step behind the Blazers for most of the night, and the forwards for the most part did not come back a lot to help the D. I felt the gap control between the Forawrds and the D was off all night as the Giants Forwards were playing to deep int he neutral zone.

Kamloops was working hard tonight, put in a great effort and were quick to get on the Giants all night. Won most of the little battles along the boards etc. Kamloops has a tonne of speed and the used it well tonight.

Blazers were the better team tonight and deserved the win.

3 STARS
1. KAM - 31 Dustin Butler
2. KAM - 22 Alex Rodgers
3. VAN - 24 Garet Hunt

Not sure Hunt played well, but Festerling I thought deserved a Star. Would have given the #1 to Rodgers thought he played very well, and although Butler played well, he wasn't the game difference tonight.

scamperdog
11-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I would have called the fight a draw, the Festerling that was just a real nice shot, Blazers worked hard all night and I thought in the third did a great job of forchecking. I look forward to the next match.
Nice crowd for the game, but man are those seats ever crowded, no leg room what so ever.

MJCO5
11-12-2006, 10:16 PM
This was a hugh win for the Blazers handing the Giants there first home Lose of the season that knocking off the Best Team in Junior Hockey with Tonights big win over the Giants and Wednesday night over the rebels this should secure a spot in the Top Ten for the Blazers

Bring On Everett

GO BLAZERS GO

rinkrat
11-12-2006, 10:18 PM
Really good effort from the Blazers.They worked their butts off.The Giants had enough chances to win the game but didn't bury them.Repik has to start scoring as do several others including Wright and Bouma.I still say we need to acquire a proven goal scorer.That could prove to be the achilles heel,especially in the Memorial Cup.

Swando
11-12-2006, 11:21 PM
Perfect game to loose. Kamloops is a hard working team and plays that horrible trap to perfection when they get up on the opponent. A definate eye opener for the Giants. Another thing....Reese is not in Hay's good books at all as far as I can see. Has been playing real soft as of late!
Poor John Flatters..try as he might the fowards press him immedialtely and he either coughs up the puck or takes a penalty. Tough night for him

Finally I'll say this to the respect of the Giants. The opposition is learning to crowd the front of the net on a power play and make the D pass the puck around. I saw Brule last year playing the point and he'd shoot high and hard!!! Send a message early on that if you want to stick your face in front of a shot you'll pay the price. Tonight I saw Franson balk at several chances to wire a shot on net but declined because a Blazer was 15" in front of him on his knees. Good to see a franchize like Kamloops playing back to their old standards.

Kassian
11-13-2006, 01:23 AM
Watt had an off night as well. Even though he's overacheived in the scoring department so far this season I'm very disappointed in him. He used to be one of my favorite players but he's really been getting on my nerves lately. Very lazy defensively and he is too confident with the puck. Always tries to take the shot (which usually isn't there) instead of making the pass. It sounded like Hay was a little pissed off at Watt as well. I'm sure the hissey fit Watt threw in the 3rd period (breaking his stick) and hitting Hay accidently certainly didn't help the matter.

Swando
11-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Watt had an off night as well. Even though he's overacheived in the scoring department so far this season I'm very disappointed in him. He used to be one of my favorite players but he's really been getting on my nerves lately. Very lazy defensively and he is too confident with the puck. Always tries to take the shot (which usually isn't there) instead of making the pass. It sounded like Hay was a little pissed off at Watt as well. I'm sure the hissey fit Watt threw in the 3rd period (breaking his stick) and hitting Hay accidently certainly didn't help the matter.

Kass: I didn't see that stick breaking incident..Can you describe it?

Kassian
11-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Kass: I didn't see that stick breaking incident..Can you describe it?

I came back a little late for the start of the 3rd but I saw Watt yelling about something and break his stick on the bench and part of the stick went flying and appeared to hit Hay. The only time I actually get back a few minutes late and of course I missed the begining of it. But I heard some people talking about it around my section and that's how it seems most people saw it.

Carebear
11-13-2006, 01:48 AM
I was gonna go today.
Kinda glad I didn't.
I hate seeing them lose. :(

rinkrat
11-13-2006, 01:54 AM
I was gonna go today.
Kinda glad I didn't.

That looks like Haiku poetry. :thumb: LOL

Knuckles Muldoon
11-13-2006, 10:12 AM
Wow, great comments gang, and I agree 100% with everything that's noted so far.
Kamloops looked great and played a brilliant game. They were the better team and deserved the win. They skate well, move the puck smartly and withstood the Giants physical play, even giving out there own fair share. Strangely, it feels good to have a healthy respect for Blazers again after a few years of pretty shabby hockey.
As for the Giants, the inability to score is becoming problematic. These days, the team needs 40 shots to score 3 goals. That's not acceptable. The inability of the 16 yo's to score even the odd goal is becoming a factor. Some of the heavies just aren't getting it done. Repik gets a few chances, but his play is very in-an-out, and his stats show it. A guy with his talent simply must accomplish more in the offensive zone. Its also time to break up the Watt/Reese combo. They had a nice run a while back, but its over and they both are starting to look lazy. Watt had a very poor game last night, and was constantly a half-step behind the whole night. As for the PP, the above comments regarding firing the puck 'high and hard' through the traffic is bang on. When Brule had the chance he put his head down and blast it, no holding back. Its upto Franson to do the same. If opponents are going to pack the front of the net, may as well start sending them scrambling for cover. Last night Cody was reluctant to shoot because of the traffic in the shooting lanes. A few rockets off opponents knees and ankles ought to solve that.
On another front, and not to knock Sexsmith, I'd like to see Slade get some more games. He'll be the man at playoff time, and I think working him in several games at a time throughout the season will be good for him. Playe4rs playing well these days? Lucic and Hunt. Those two are stirring it up every night and playing great, IMO. Without either of them, the forward group might slip into a coma. I thought Lucic was the best Giant easily last night, although Hunt and Fester were strong, too.
Lastly, its becoming more than clear that the team will need a sniper. This team, for some reason, doesn't bear down on their chances well enough, and need someone who means business when he gets the puck in the prime scoring areas.
If the Giant/Blazer games are going to be this good, some 'Loops roadtrips are definintely in the making. :thumb:

Monster
11-13-2006, 10:51 AM
I was gonna go today.
Kinda glad I didn't.

Good thing that we don't feel like that in the Wack. The building would be empty :laugh:

N.W. Bruin
11-13-2006, 11:42 AM
Really good effort from the Blazers.They worked their butts off.The Giants had enough chances to win the game but didn't bury them.Repik has to start scoring as do several others including Wright and Bouma.I still say we need to acquire a proven goal scorer.That could prove to be the achilles heel,especially in the Memorial Cup.

Though I doubt Brule will be sent back, he would be a bit of a answer to the problem. I am also having concerns about the sixteen year olds not producing. Though I don't except much from them but the kicker was during that draft and watching the results on the WHL official site and seeing Beach fall to the Giants' pick and them passing on him. He will get twenty plus goals as a sixteen year old (of course he is playing top two lines but that is still good production considering Repik, Machachek and Lamb all appear to be unable to reach that at their current pace).

Both those two (Brule and Beach) would have been a case of the team not having to give up something to get a player. Not to mention if McArdle or Setoguchi were taken instead of Bertram. Oh well those are the breaks. No point looking back at what could have been.

Carebear
11-13-2006, 12:07 PM
Good thing that we don't feel like that in the Wack. The building would be empty :laugh:

Hahaha for sure.
I go to some of the Bruins games (cuz I'm in Langley..smack in the middle of Van and the 'wack) but I don't mind seeing them lose because Van's still and always will be my team! heehee.
Hopefully the Bruins shape up soon though...MORE WINS PLS BOYS!

Same to you Giants, no more losses..you got them over with, now back to the winning! :clap:

dondo
11-13-2006, 06:29 PM
^ at least not at home

I had to work so I didn't get to sit in my seats :( and only listened to parts of the game.

Interestingly though Hayzer singled out the Czibere Reese Watt line as one he was most disappointed in their effort.