PDA

View Full Version : Ams break through at home

Stay-Puft
11-13-2006, 06:23 PM
http://www.sportstricities.com/sportstc/hockey/americans/story/8404928p-8299792c.html

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

The last time the Tri-City Americans beat the Red Deer Rebels, goalie Chet Pickard had just turned 7 years old.

Sunday, Pickard turned in a solid performance with 21 saves and Mike Kaye scored a pair of goals as the Americans picked up a 4-1 Western Hockey League win over the Rebels in front of 3,118 fans at Toyota Center.

"This was a big win for us. It brings back the life after two tough defeats," said Tri-City coach Don Nachbaur, whose team last beat Red Deer on Jan. 7, 1997 -- a streak that spanned eight games. "We simplified our game and got some power-play goals and that was huge for us."

The Americans (13-7-0-0, 26 points) took advantage of their nine power plays with two goals and Taylor Procyshen scored an empty netter to send the Rebels (12-8-2-1) to their fifth straight loss.

"We've been very good until the last week," said Red Deer coach Brent Sutter. "We were 12-3-2-1 after 18 games. Now, we've lost five in a row. I don't think they understand how important it is to be focused every night. We aren't playing up to our potential, and I'm talking about our veterans."

Kaye scored his first goal of the game at 1:12 of the first period, knocking the puck past Morgan Clark on the game's first power play, redirecting a shot by rookie defenseman Juraj Valach.

Midway through the second, Kaye again redirected a shot by Valach -- this time a blast from the blue line -- to give the Americans a 2-0 lead at 13:35.

"The D made some great plays and put the puck on net," Kaye said. "I just put my stick out and it went in. I'll take it. It was good to get a full team effort."

Shaun Vey also assisted on both of Kaye's goals.

"I think that was Shaun's best game this year," Nachbaur said. "We need that from him."

Tanner Gillies put the Americans up 3-0 at 11:55 of the third when a shot by Alex Aldred ricocheted off his hip and into the net.

Pickard had a shutout going until 17:20 of the third when Red Deer's Alex Poulter scored on a power play.

"It was good to get the win," said Pickard, who is 5-2 this season. "The guys really stepped it up tonight -- to hold a good team like Red Deer to 22 shots is something. The guys have been playing really well in front of me. I had a couple of bad rebounds tonight and they took it out of play."

Red Deer had opportunities early in the game to score -- including three power plays in the first period and outshooting the Americans 7-2 at one point -- put couldn't get anything past Pickard.

"We didn't take advantage of opportunities," Sutter said. "We took undisciplined penalties and didn't pay attention to details. When you are trying to get back on track, things like that are magnified."

The Americans will play host to Kamloops on Friday and to Lethbridge on Saturday.