PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Roy

Flathead
11-15-2006, 11:47 PM
TSN.CA

Canadian Press

11/13/2006 10:17:21 PM

TORONTO (CP) - Joe Sakic started laughing. Asked to recall one of his favourite Patrick Roy moments, the superstar centre went back to the 1996 playoffs when both players were Colorado Avalanche teammates.

"The best one was the Jeremy Roenick thing," Sakic said this week from Denver.

Sakic and Roy were on their way to Colorado's first Stanley Cup that spring but not before disposing of Roenick's Chicago Blackhawks in the second round.
Roenick, never lost for words, taunted Roy between games, recalling a goal he scored on the great goalie.

"I'd like to know where Patrick was in Game 3, probably up trying to get his jock out of the rafters."

Roy came back with a line for the ages in his broken English: "I cannot really hear what Jeremy says because I've got my two Stanley Cup rings plugging my ear."

"And that was Patrick's first year with us, his English wasn't perfect at the time so it was pretty funny," said Sakic. "That was hilarious.

"But he always had a comeback for anybody, he was a very funny guy."

The two Cup rings "plugging" Roy's ears were captured in Montreal. He added two more to his resume in Denver and that's just one of the many reasons his pedigree as one of the game's greatest goaltenders - some say the best - earned him an induction Monday into the Hockey Hall of Fame.

I never was a huge Roy fan but, the rings in the ear quote has to be one of the best. Especially since it was towards Roenick. An awesome goalie and most deserving Hockey Hall of Fame inductee.

Link Dog
11-16-2006, 12:35 PM
I have always hated the Habs, but that moment in the 93 finals when he winked at Sandstrom, I believe, after making a save was pretty sweet. Talk about confidence in your abilities. How demoralizing must it be to play against a player like that who's in the groove. You throw your best at him and he looks at you like "that's it". Congrats to Saint Patrick, well deserved.