PDA

View Full Version : Pats 0 @ Giants 2 Nov. 18th

dondo
11-19-2006, 01:26 AM
well I didn't see Beaner in his seat so I assume he's working tonight so I'll start this thread.

A very defensive battle tonight and although both teams were skating hard all night it was more about what didn't happen than what did..

here's the recap

Giants Stand Up Pats
Vancouver 2 Regina 0

It was the “Captains of the Coliseum” night at the Pacific Coliseum and drew over 12,000 people to watch the Giants take on the Regina Pats in what turned out to be an epic defensive battle. The Giants came out flying but the quick footed Pats seemed to be one step ahead most of the night closing quickly and giving the Giants little room to work the puck around. The Pats, currently sitting in third place in tight Eastern Conference race and edging out the Chilliwack Bruins the previous night, looked ready to give the G-Men a challenge. The Pats started 17 yr old goalie Linden Rowat, when most of the fans were probably expecting that former Giant Tommy Tartaglione would get the start.

The Giants opened the scoring on the PP after a Regina player took an interference penalty in the neutral zone off the drop of the puck. Mitch Czibere pressed in the Pats zone, stripped a Regina D of the puck and threw the biscuit to Brett Festerling at the point. Festerling ( one of two in the game as his twin brother plays for the Regina squad.) snapped the shot at the net and off the rebound Kyle Lamb, cutting across the crease, backhanded the loose puck over Rowat’s outstretched pad. The goal came just 1:05 into the game and would be the only one scored until the 19 minute mark of the third. The game would turn into a defensive clinic as both squads flexed their blue-line muscle and virtually eliminated quality scoring chances throughout the evening.

I’m not sure if it was the defensive play of the Regina Pats or the lack of hunger for the home team but the shots were low for the Giants and they almost all came from the outside. The G-Men did not seem interested in driving the net and played more of a perimeter game most of the night. In their own zone they limited scoring chances and did not give up quality scoring chances. Oddly enough it was fast paced game as both teams skated up the ice hard, but were stymied when they got into the offensive zone. The Giants matched the Regina squad speed for speed and move for move, but they did not throw a lot of pucks on the net or work the Pats in their own zone as hard as they usually would and the Giants seemed to be content to play a mostly defensive battle.

The G-Men had the better opportunities to score in the end and Linden Rowat absolutely robbed Mikkelson on the doorstep at one point. Early in the second, Scott Brownlee and Garet Hunt dropped the gloves to treat the fans to a lively combat with both players trading blows back and forth until they finally fell into a clutch and were stopped by the linesmen. Call it a draw. Its was like that for most of the game and at times it was a frustrating kind of game to watch and had me on the edge of my seat as one mistake could completely change the game. I would be able to stop holding my breath when on the Giants 7th PP of the evening they would break the tension. The Pats would take a late penalty with 2:30 left in the game and it would allow the Giants to put them away. Milan Lucic fed the puck behind the net where Mario Bliznak, tipped it out front to Michal Repik who snapped it past Rowat to put the Giants up by two and salt away the game. The Giants worked the dying minute and the Regina squad did not elect to pull the goalie with 1:00 left in the game even though they had face-off in the offensive end of the ice. Sexsmith would notch his third shutout of the season and the Giants would get their 20th win of the season.

The Giants went 2 for 7 on the PP while holding their opponent to 0 for 7, and the shots were tied at 23 apiece. Don Hay in the post game interview was musing about how his team needs to forge an identity for this season as up ‘til this point they have been riding the identity from last season and even though they have been winning its time to acknowledge the kind of team they have now and commit to all of its facets. One of his comments was that he sees the team as more of depth scoring team without bona fide snipers to put games away and that it will necessary to find scoring throughout the line-up and the necessity of get a lot of rubber on the opposing net. He was saying that his only real disappointment of the evening was the lack of shots on the Regina net and he’d like to see that improve on this coming road trip.

The Giants next game is down in Spokane on Wed Nov 22, which will be the first of three games in four nights through the US Division, but the Giants won’t see the much vaunted Everett team until Dec 15/16th and both squads will be lacking star players who will be at the World Junior camp. The puck drops at 7pm MST in Spokane.

Three Stars
1 – Brett Festerling
2 – Brendan Mikkelson
3 – Logan Pyett

Beaner
11-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Thanks for the recap Dondo - you are in fact correct, I am once again at work, in fact working right now. :bounce: Hopefully done before 2am tonight. Still waiting for the encores to start. ;)

Sounds like a pretty good game, nice to see another win.

rinkrat
11-19-2006, 01:47 AM
Rowat vs Sexsmith ... Sexsmith

Nick Ross vs Jon Blum ... Blum,Ross took a couple bad penalties including the one that lead to Repik's goal in the last minute

Festerling vs Festerling ...our Festerling,great game and a star.

Hunt vs Brownlee ...Draw,great fight though!

Swando
11-19-2006, 01:57 AM
I commented to my STH pal 1/2 way thru the game saying this..."you know maybe the other teams are catching up to us and this is the type of game that Hay is having them play"
I guess I was sort of right as Hay in his post game interview basically said that the Giants played the 1st 20 games on last years identity and now they have to establish this years identity. When Willems asked him to diagram this years team he said "they are not an overly talented bunch" ...and the players many not want to here this" We are going to have to work for everything we get.!!!!!
Hay also mentioned that Kraus is in his "doghouse" and thus was religated to playing wing on the 4th line tonight (although he did se PP time) Kraus I guess has been less than a model player in terms of "body language" towards the coaching staff this past week. Good interview by Hay tonight.
I expect we'll see many more of these tight checking games to come as this is a Memorial Cup year , and if Hay does not feel we can free wheel to win - it's his way.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-19-2006, 11:48 AM
I thought it was a pretty good game, with both teams playing pretty well. Early on, I thought the Giants may be headed for a laugher, as they were on the PP after 10 seconds and on the board at 1:05. They looked very sharp early, just to have the Pats slowly strip their momentum away to leave us with a tight, defensive game. Sexy looked very sharp again, although he didn't have to face hardly any good scoring chances against him. Fester, Lamb, Hunt, Lucic and Czibere were the best Giants out there. Great scrap between Hunt and Brownlee. Lots of puches and the big crowd ate it all up. Great crowd tonight, very lively for such a low-scoring game. Pretty good job by the refs, with only a few weak calls.
Hayzer is right, nothing will come easy for this team, and they won't blow teams out because they just don't have the top-end talent to do it. Tight 1 and 2 goal games is how this team will get it done, because everyone laces them up prepared to play the Giants hard. That's just the way it is, and thats what we saw last night.

Section_Z
11-19-2006, 02:33 PM
No Comments about Tommy T? How did he look?

N.W. Bruin
11-19-2006, 02:39 PM

Even joked a bit during the period when both were handling the bench doors across from each other. Joking with each other as I noticed smiles on both their faces.

Soundy
11-20-2006, 03:09 AM
Pretty good game last night, not THE most thrilling start-to-end, but good nonetheless. I got a few decent pics that I still hafta get online. Dondo, sorry I never made it over to say hi - I'll try again on the 9th :)

dondo
11-20-2006, 07:06 PM

Linden Rowat played -- Tommy looked okay in the warm-ups though :p :thumb:

nhl

no worries Soundy whenever you get the chance is cool

Section_Z
11-21-2006, 05:23 PM
Linden Rowat played -- Tommy looked okay in the warm-ups though

Ahhh, copy.
That's too bad...Well maybe we'll get to see him play for us again.. I doubt it, though.

dondo
11-21-2006, 07:30 PM
we could give back the pick and get Tommy back right? :p :thumb:

actually I would love to se us reacquire Tommy T, but I don't think its in the cards -- but who do we get? hmmm

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-21-2006, 08:46 PM
Just heard on the radio that Brownlee broke his hand from the fight against Garet hunt...

rinkrat
11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
Bad Garet :evil: using your face to break his hand... ;)

old_time_hockey
11-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Garets nickname should be the brick. He certainly is tough as one.

Just checking out his stats. Didn't realize that he was 190lbs. I thought more like 175-180. That explains when some guys try to go after him they bounce off. Need lots of momentum needed to knock over that mass with a lower center of gravity.

Beaner
11-21-2006, 09:06 PM
Just heard on the radio that Brownlee broke his hand from the fight against Garet hunt...

Ouch, that sucks.

Did he break it with a punch or hitting the ice?

rinkrat
11-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Ouch, that sucks.

Didn't see him hit the ice but it was a heck of a scrap.Both guys were chucking knuckles and connecting for an extended period.Very similar to the Dorsett fight,if you saw that one.Not surprised one of the combatents got hurt.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Ouch, that sucks.

He said that it was an uppercut he made into hunts chin. I take it that Hunt is fine?

Brownlee is actually one of the radio commentators tonight

old_time_hockey
11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
That is awsome they let hurt players be part of the pbp crew.

Would love to hear what Hunt would have to say about players on the other team. Joey would have to be quick on the button to beep out some words I would think. :laugh: