PDA

View Full Version : I don't get it

Sput
11-19-2006, 03:52 AM
A team with as much supposed talent as any, and more than most, can't win. They play with no heart or drive. No finish around the net. Get outworked constantly by most every team they play. :burningma These guys have got to find their game or risk missing the playoffs, having the team as it is now dismantled, and losing whats left of their fan base. I can't see blaming the coaching anymore. The change was made, right or wrong, with no better consistant results.

People can blame management all they want, but ultimately it is the 25 guys on the roster that decide the games, not the GM, owner or coaches. For the love of the game guys, play with at least a little pride and show some kind of consistancy. For those that know how I support this franchise, you know this is a drastic swing for me to post like this. I don't know how much a coach at this level should have to 'motivate' his team, but if it is up to the coach to do so, then these players shouldn't be at this level of hockey. I help coach a team of 9&10 year olds, and all we have to say to get them going is "Its game time guys" and they are up for it. Right now I have a hard time believing that Dr Phil could motivate these sad sacks right now.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-19-2006, 02:19 PM
I have a feeling that if this keeps up, you guys will make a big splash on the trade deadline, with good reason of course. In preseason, you guys looked good out there, but ever since setoguchi came along, the cougs have played like a rebuilding team.

Go back to the basics, they just need their confidence back. You guys could try sitting some guys out, and try the same lines you had around the time of the ice breaker tournament and if that doesnt work, keep shuffling the lines around and give each player their opportunity to show what they really can do in every situation, or you could do what vancouver does, and have a star player on each line, having 4 equally skilled lines continuously.

There is alot of talent in your lineup, but perhaps this is the same effect you are getting in PG as the canadian olympic team had in turin. Loads of talent on the roster, just no chemistry. They had, by far, the best looking roster on paper in the whole olympics and were picked to win the whole thing, but we all know what happened with weaker teams like the Swiss, and even Russia.

Alot of these guys are go to guys on offence, and could be top players on most teams in this league (Setoguchi, Walker, Robertson, Hunter, Drazencovic, etc). If you put any one of these guys on the pats this season, they would be our top scorer, and thats saying alot, because we have a pretty good team this year. You might actually see our GM trying to organize a trade with you guys if we see anything that we could trade in return that wouldnt hurt the teams future. Anyways, our team learned last year that putting all your best players(or all really skilled and independent players) on one line doesnt work.

Last year, in regina, we put both our europeans, Kalus, and Tolpeko (both very offensive) on one line, with our best play maker centering them. You would think that if you put your best players all in one line that no body would stand a chance, but that wasnt the case. They didnt have any chemistry, and they all tried doing the whole thing by themselves. It didnt work at all, and we lost to a sub par team(PA?), because the line with all the "pop" was a dud. That could be the case with your top 2 lines.

I wouldnt worry about your team now.. Your coaches are trying to do what they can to get these guys their confidence back. Keep trying new things, and you might get something. If that doesnt happen quickly, I think its inevitable that the cougers will make a big trade or 2, maybe even change the whole face of the team.

Hang in there kitties!

Cougar Guy
11-19-2006, 03:51 PM
I don't know what the answer is Sput but if I haven't already lost interest in what is going on this year, I'm right near that point.

I'm honestly finding it hard to put allot of effort into following a team that is so obviously LACKING effort in what they do. As for the management and franchise side of things, I won't even start getting into that discussion because I could be at the keyboard until midnight.

Combine yet another bad team with another bad year (yeah folks . . . given how we have played this year we ARE bad) and the continuing Brodsky circus and loads of people in PG are simply disinterested and completely sick of it. Sick of it to the point where some people honestly could care less if the team did move. That is how sad this situation has truly become. This team could go on a 15 game winning streak and the crowds probably wouldn't peak beyond 3,500.

Welcome to almost a decade of terrible hockey and the ensuing result :(

Swando
11-19-2006, 11:40 PM
I looked up the attendance records so far this year and PG is 5th from the bottom in attendance averaging 2900 a game. The teams below them are Kootney, Swift Current, Moose Jaw and PA.

I feel for you guys up there. On paper you have a more talented team that the Giants. But go figure -- you lose to Chilliwack and then beat a better team in Seattle?

Cougar Guy
11-20-2006, 01:50 AM
Here are some stats I pulled up:

96-97 ave attendance 4,749 record 28-36-5-3
97-98 ave attendance 5,716 record 43-19-5-5
98-99 ave attendance 5,824 record 34-30-6-2
99-00 ave attendance 5,800 record 43-20-4-5
00-01 ave attendance 5,706 record 31-33-4-4
01-02 ave attendance 5,216 record 34-27-9-2
02-03 ave attendance 4,386 record 26-41-3-2 (missed playoffs)
03-04 ave attendance 3,584 record 30-34-7-1 (missed playoffs)
04-05 ave attendance 3,150 record 26-41-3-2 (missed playoffs)
05-06 ave attendance 3,110 record 35-31-2-4
06-07 ave attendance 2,928 record 9-13-0-2

This alone can't begin to describe why the attendance has been dropping (you could write a thesis on that), but it gives you an idea as to the type of play that Cougar fans have generally had to endure over the past 10 years.

I realize that every team will have up and down years, but in the case of PG, not only has there not been an up year in what seem like 100 years, but even the up years we did have resulted in nothing. No regular season banners, no playoff banners, etc. I know that every BC Division team (with the exception of Chilliwack) has certainly fared better than we have in those regards over the same time period and yet nothing seems to really change in regards to team philosophy or management. Fun stuff :mad:

LifelongChiefsFan
11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Well maybe the team read your post Sput and took it to heart. They looked good on Sunday. Really good. They out hustled, out hit, and just completely out played Seattle. They were physical, and moved the puck very well, especially around the boards and in the corners. To be honest I thought going into that game that Seattle was at least going to win if not blow out the Cougars. Boy was I wrong, lol. It's definitely a positive though, if they play a full 60 minutes like they did against Seattle for the rest of the year, they won't be on the losing end very much.Very impressive win for PG, they made Seattle look like a midget team, only a night after they beat arguably the best team in the league. I suppose you could make the case that Seattle was due for a letdown after their big game against Everett, but from what I saw, PG still would have won easily even if the Thunderbirds brought their A game. I was also impressed alot by Cyr. He made some very good saves early on when the game was still close.

Also, I just want to point out that the refs in this game did a decent job, I was impressed. I rememeber reading a thread on here when the season started saying how one ref would call a whole bunch of penalties and then the other ref would as well, as not to be outdone. That didn't happen on Sunday. Weibe made the majority of the calls, probably around 75-80%, while Kirk hardly made any calls. It was kind of refreshing to see a game that wasn't ruined by the refs in any aspect.

Section_Z
11-21-2006, 06:16 PM
I looked up the attendance records so far this year and PG is 5th from the bottom in attendance averaging 2900 a game. The teams below them are Kootney, Swift Current, Moose Jaw and PA.

All four of those teams below them also have a significantly smaller seating capacity...If Moose Jaw were to sell out every game they would only have 3100...