PDA

View Full Version : Dustin Slade Leaves Giants

Kassian
11-20-2006, 06:09 PM
The Vancouver Giants have announced goaltender DUSTIN SLADE has decided to leave the hockey club. The 20 year-old has made the decision to pursue opportunities in pro hockey.

"Dustin helped our hockey club achieve a great amount of success last year," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "We wish him the best of luck in his future in pro hockey."

Slade is into his final season in the WHL. Through 12 games this year, he has posted a record of 9-1-1-1 and is second overall in the league in goals against average (1.57) and save percentage (92.1%). He is also 2nd overall in WHL career regular season shut-outs (20).

www.vancouvergiants.com

Beaner
11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
Holy breaking news Batman.

I'm not sure what to say....

patsdude114
11-20-2006, 06:21 PM
does anyone know where Slade is going to try to get on with in pro hockey??

Hes a very talented goaltender especially once he matured, too many incidence once espeically with the Pats...no 1 ever questioned his talents while in Regina just his maturity.. best of luck Slade where ever u end up

Scout
11-20-2006, 06:30 PM
So is your other goaltender good? I know the Broncos have three solid goalies, one that was sent back to B.C. when Moir returned. Do you think there is any chance they may make a deal for Moir or is your other goalie good enough to fill in for Slade? Never thought he would do that with the Memorial Cup berth guaranteed.

Scout

Beaner
11-20-2006, 06:31 PM
20 year old spot now open, do we see Scharff come back?

Beaner
11-20-2006, 06:34 PM
So is your other goaltender good? I know the Broncos have three solid goalies, one that was sent back to B.C. when Moir returned. Do you think there is any chance they may make a deal for Moir or is your other goalie good enough to fill in for Slade? Never thought he would do that with the Memorial Cup berth guaranteed.

Scout

Sexsmith is very good, top 3 in all categories, and the #2 ranked goalie int he WHL for the upcoming draft.

Most people I talked to felt he was the better of the 2 goalies.

Never had the #1 job in the dub before, we shall see how it affects him.

The bigger question now is who is the backup and are they any good?

rinkrat
11-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Wow,I'm in shock! :burningma Obviously there is more to this story.Too bad to see him go.There must have been some issues going on behind the scenes to set this off.(GF71???)

Barnstable is the next in line,I think.

dondo
11-20-2006, 06:48 PM
I suppose this didn't come out of the wide blue -- but pretty damn close.

So I guess we can acquire a 20year old for scoring now, and I suppose we'll have to go out and get a decent back-up for Tyson.

Sorry to see him go but I can see how he would have been getting frustrated with the situation. To take the Giants to the MC and then be relegated to a bare 1/in a 1/1a role -- where the goaltending duties are split down the middle. Well good luck Slade its too bad you couldn't hang around 'til the end of the season and see where it went -- we'll miss you skating to the left post smacking eclectic ways.

old_time_hockey
11-20-2006, 06:52 PM
Hol-E-**** Boogaard'd You'd think that if you want to go pro you would wait till AFTER you have a second shot at a Memorial Cup. Cause winning it or being in the final will pad your resume. What is the rush? Does he think that he is at the peak of his game so he better go and tryout for a pro team now?

I think this is more Slade isn't happy about the 50/50 split with Sexsmith, talk to Hay, was told to get used to it and then decided to leave.

Sad, sad day.

I have 110% confidance in Sexy. But the backup position...there is a HUGE question mark.

The Scharff theory above would be cool. But I wonder if he would break his current commitment to come back.

rinkrat
11-20-2006, 06:58 PM
The Scharff theory above would be cool. But I wonder if he would break his current commitment to come back.

The Bruins hold his rights.

Fight Guy
11-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Bet they're wishing they didn't trade Tartaglione.

Beaner
11-20-2006, 07:03 PM

Bruins released his rights.

http://whl.ca/hm/transactions.php

TRANSACTION HISTORY Season: Team:
[Show Full]
Date Player Team Transaction
10/30/2006 Chad Scharff (D) Chilliwack Deleted

rinkrat
11-20-2006, 07:05 PM
Bruins released his rights.

http://whl.ca/hm/transactions.php

Oh,ok thanks for the correction.

old_time_hockey
11-20-2006, 07:06 PM

Oh yeah...forgot about that.

EDIT: Should have done more reading

N.W. Bruin
11-20-2006, 07:17 PM
20 year old spot now open, do we see Scharff come back?

He would be a good addition to the room.

N.W. Bruin
11-20-2006, 07:20 PM

They likely dropped Chad to get another overager.

N.W. Bruin
11-20-2006, 07:24 PM
Because he wasn't local the Giants keep Barnstable around instead during the full camp figuring it was a three way battle between Tommy, Tyson and Dustin.

Toswammi
11-20-2006, 07:38 PM
Let the rumors begin :)

Knuckles Muldoon
11-20-2006, 08:02 PM
Left to pursue pro hockey opportunities? Right :skeptical . Slade was obviously dissatisfied with the 50/50 split. And unless that was the agreed upon ratio at the start of the season, I don't blame him. A 20 yo goalie doesn't come back to a Mem Cup team agreeing to play 1/2 of the games. That doesn't happen. I think this is a bad situation and one that puts the team in a precarious spot. Nothing against Sexy, he's a terrific young goalie who's played even better than expected. But his time to shine was next year, and the year after. I can't overstate the importance of having an experienced goaler in there this year. I don't like having to go into the playoffs and MC with a 17 yo goalie. Too much can go wrong. Not to mention the fact that we're screwed if he rips up a knee or something. I think its pretty reckless on the part of Bonner/Hay to let this situation get to where it has. 24 hours ago the Giants were a solid, experienced team top-to-bottom that just needed to pony up a young asset to grab another scorer, maybe acquire a little more depth on defense, and then make a run at the Cup. Now the possibility of disaster exists, and that's not smart. Not to mention the team is also under the gun to now get a VETERAN backup for Sexy.
I don't like this at all.

scrunt
11-20-2006, 08:03 PM
Wow, I sure didn't see that coming. :eek:

I've gotta figure he already has something tenatively lined up on the pro side; maybe he's been offered a minor pro contract somewhere.

Much as I'm sad to see him go, it could be a blessing. Firstly, I have every confidence that Tyson can carry the load, and having two number ones never works. Secondly, having a spare 20 year old spot could be very valuable down the road, closer to the trade deadline, for a playoff rental (someone along the lines of Eric Hunter, maybe, if the Cougars continue to underacheive and are going to miss the playoffs).

Good luck Dustin, we'll miss your second period visits!

CLOOCH
11-20-2006, 08:10 PM
NOOOO i really wanted to meet him on dec 3rd :(

DAMN! well i wish him luck, hopefully we can get a good backup...

Toswammi
11-20-2006, 08:58 PM
The problem is there isnt a real deep talent pool for 20 yr olds this year. You would be better off getting a solid 20 yr old tender(who will be gone next year so sexsmith becomes the number one, and still creates strong tending) and a 19 forward ala McArdle.

Swando
11-20-2006, 10:04 PM
The way I see this is it might be a blessing in disguise. First of all let's give Slade the benefit of the doubt. If he could have signed a pro contract over the summer he would have and not been here at all. I think an opportunity arose and if he didn't take it now it might not come his way again. 20 year olds are in the hockey business not hockey fun.
In saying it might be a blessing - I am stepping out on a limb and saying that we might be able to secure a much needed 20 goal scorer . ala Hunter out of PG would be a great addition for the right price.
Sexsmith I thought was the better of the 2 goaltenders for playing 50% of the time. Slade is a type that needs a ton of work and excels at that. I think Sexy will get a ton of work and any goalie we bring in will not get tested that often cause of our great defensive system.
For what it's worth as I am playing GM I think Cunningham will be send back and they'll get a 19yr old goalie as a back up and seek out getting a 20 year old scorer.

scrunt
11-20-2006, 10:10 PM
The way I see this is it might be a blessing in disguise. First of all let's give Slade the benefit of the doubt. If he could have signed a pro contract over the summer he would have and not been here at all. I think an opportunity arose and if he didn't take it now it might not come his way again. 20 year olds are in the hockey business not hockey fun.
In saying it might be a blessing - I am stepping out on a limb and saying that we might be able to secure a much needed 20 goal scorer . ala Hunter out of PG would be a great addition for the right price.
Sexsmith I thought was the better of the 2 goaltenders for playing 50% of the time. Slade is a type that needs a ton of work and excels at that. I think Sexy will get a ton of work and any goalie we bring in will not get tested that often cause of our great defensive system.
For what it's worth as I am playing GM I think Cunningham will be send back and they'll get a 19yr old goalie as a back up and seek out getting a 20 year old scorer.

I concur :laugh:

rinkrat
11-20-2006, 10:16 PM
How about we pick up Scotty Upsahl? Is he in the BCHL?

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-20-2006, 10:26 PM
I am in shock,even though I am not a Giants fan,as someone said earlier with the Memorial Cup being in Vancouver you would think that he would want a second chance to help the Giants win the Memorial Cup. I guess he was not happy spliting the goaltending duties(as someone said earlier as well) obvioulsy he has a method to his madness. That is shocking but life goes on.

Swando
11-20-2006, 10:32 PM
I am in shock,even though I am not a Giants fan,as someone said earlier with the Memorial Cup being in Vancouver you would think that he would want a second chance to help the Giants win the Memorial Cup. I guess he was not happy spliting the goaltending duties(as someone said earlier as well) obvioulsy he has a method to his madness. That is shocking but life goes on.

I think it was a business decission. Dustin has been playing the last 5 years to secure emplyment in hockey as a future. If he truly is getting a shot somewhere in pro hockey --good for him. If he'd been carrying the mail all by himself like last year I do not think he would be doing this but I think he sees the Giants goaltending in good hands and made the decission that much easier

Swando
11-20-2006, 10:34 PM
How about we pick up Scotty Upsahl? Is he in the BCHL?

I take this is joke question? Upshall the former Team Canada captain I think is in his 3rd year with Nashville.

Swando
11-20-2006, 10:39 PM
Because he wasn't local the Giants keep Barnstable around instead during the full camp figuring it was a three way battle between Tommy, Tyson and Dustin.

John McKENZIE/ Free Press
Cariboo Cougars forward Drew Pettitt takes a shot on Okanagan Rockets goalie Kramer Barnstable. The Cats dropped the opener 4-3 but came back with a 3-2 win on Sunday.

Is this the Barnstable that was or is in our system?

N.W. Bruin
11-20-2006, 10:58 PM
John McKENZIE/ Free Press
Cariboo Cougars forward Drew Pettitt takes a shot on Okanagan Rockets goalie Kramer Barnstable. The Cats dropped the opener 4-3 but came back with a 3-2 win on Sunday.

Is this the Barnstable that was or is in our system?

Yes - 2005 bantam pick (9th round) so he is sixteen year old. Orth is a year older and represented BC on Team Pacific while Sexsmith was the other goalie on that team as the Alberta goalie (if I recall right).

Carebear
11-20-2006, 11:01 PM
WHEN DO WE FIND OUT WHERE HE WENT!!!

I wonder if it was to the Moose!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rinkrat
11-20-2006, 11:02 PM
I take this is joke question? Upshall the former Team Canada captain I think is in his 3rd year with Nashville.

I meant Kevin Opsahl. :)

Swando
11-20-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes - 2005 bantam pick (9th round) so he is sixteen year old. Orth is a year older and represented BC on Team Pacific while Sexsmith was the other goalie on that team as the Alberta goalie (if I recall right).

Scott Orth is the goaltender of the Trail Smokeaters as of now.

Blades 4 Life!
11-20-2006, 11:16 PM
ya that is a hug shock. I remember hearing about his temperment when he played for the Pats and then the year after that he was posting up very good numbers. He will have a career in the NHL probably not this year but in the next couple years. The only thing is that i never seen him play in action. Good Luck Slade!

Swando
11-20-2006, 11:17 PM
I meant Kevin Opsahl. :)

I found the following on a net search regarding Kevin Opsahl.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have announced Kevin Opsahl, 86, has accepted an opportunity to play in the major juniors for the Kingston Frontenacs of the Ontario Hockey League.

Carebear
11-20-2006, 11:18 PM
Scott Orth is the goaltender of the Trail Smokeaters as of now.

Wrong.

He's backup of the Langley Chiefs in the BCHL.

Section C rules
11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
I must say it is a sad day for this Giants Fan. Dustin was by far my favorite player and I will miss watching him. Hopefully he does go on to bigger things.
On a side not the organization wasted no time taking him off the website either because he is no longer on the roster page. :(

Beaner
11-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Dan Russell just said they would be having Don Hay on the radio tonight, to talk about the recent departure of Dustin Slade. Should be sometime later tonight.

CKNW AM 980

www.cknw.com

Swando
11-21-2006, 12:15 AM
Wrong.

He's backup of the Langley Chiefs in the BCHL.
Thanks for the correction I just entered his name on the web and that was the only thing I found. And youshould know!! lol Thanks

Beaner
11-21-2006, 12:21 AM
Found this link on the White board.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/story.html?id=b89387e2-9f0f-4a13-8e90-f5e63c9f1fce

Slade quits Giants

Steve Ewen, Vancouver Province
Published: Monday, November 20, 2006

Vancouver Giants goaltender Dustin Slade quit the team on Monday with hopes of landing a job in the East Coast Hockey League.

Slade, 20, said he had tired of splitting games this season with last year’s backup, Tyson Sexsmith.

"It’s easily the hardest decision I’ve ever had to make in my hockey career, but I need to play this year," Slade said.

Slade set a WHL record with 17 shutouts last season while leading the Giants to the WHL championship and a Memorial Cup berth.

Head coach Don Hay decided to platoon the goalies this year because he wants Sexsmith, Vancouver’s first-round pick (14th overall) in the 2004 bantam draft, to be ready for full-time duty next season.

Each goalie has played in 12 games this year, with Slade posting a 1.57 goals-against average to Sexsmith’s 1.79, and a .921 save percentage to Sexsmith’s .918.

superfan
11-21-2006, 12:36 AM
moir from the broncos is on his way to the giants possibly with another teammate

Knuckles Muldoon
11-21-2006, 12:41 AM
Found this link on the White board.

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/story.html?id=b89387e2-9f0f-4a13-8e90-f5e63c9f1fce
Exactly. This "pursue a pro job" is BS. And I agree with Slade when he says he needs to play. I still have my fingers crossed, hoping there's a way for this to sort itself out. Quite honestly, I don't like the Giants chances of winning their way through to the MC without Slade. And there's no way the team should be banking the whole season on a 17 yo, regardless of how well he's played to this point.

Beaner
11-21-2006, 12:49 AM
moir from the broncos is on his way to the giants possibly with another teammate

For what, and do you have a source or just speculation?

Frankly, not having a lot of time to think about possible moves, but I like
the idea of the Giants acquiring a 20 year old forward from a rebuilding team.

Maybe Chris Ray from Kelowna? He would fit in well with Hays' coaching style, and Kelowna is in a total rebuild right now.

hockeyisbest
11-21-2006, 12:53 AM
This descision didnt happen overnight. Since the beggining of the year the coaching staff has encouraged Dustin to go on to the pro leagues. They felt it wasn't good for him to split duties. It was a tough descision for him to finally except this. Since the begining of the year he only wanted to play and see vancouver bring home a m. cup.

Carebear
11-21-2006, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the correction I just entered his name on the web and that was the only thing I found. And youshould know!! lol Thanks

You know it!..those are my boys!

I'll miss the twitchmeister!

N.W. Bruin
11-21-2006, 01:26 AM
Hay said the team will not be looking for a overage goalie but they will use the overage spot for another position.

Beaner
11-21-2006, 01:30 AM
So Dan interviewed Don and Don had the following to say.

- Dustin was aware of the split game situation, but felt he wasn't getting enough ice time for his development.

- No word on where Dustin may end up as he has no offer right now.

- Barnstable is getting the call up for now.

- More than likely not a 20 a year old goalie coming in to fill the hole left by Dustin.

- Don and Scott will be working on hopefully getting a goalie in, but Don did say maybe Barnstable is their best option. Did mention teir 2 and hopefully not paying too much for a goalie.

- Talked about getting maybe another 20 year old sniper, but Don pointed out its hard to find the 20's now.

- Talked about Scharff, but Don seemed convinced that Scharff was still on the Bruins list???

In general it sounded like they new Dustin was unhappy, but they were caught off guard by his decision to leave the team.

Carebear
11-21-2006, 01:32 AM
They better stay away from D Janzen if they go tier II (i hate that term by the way)...actually they couldn't get him anyways I don't think cause he went to Uni last year and is going back to it next year.

Swando
11-21-2006, 01:32 AM
Based on Don Hay's radio interview here is what I read into the Slade situation.

1. Giants will use a 20 year old to get a quality player - he mentioned that often times a "pro" who isn't playing much will be available. I don't think he meant Brule but we wish!

2. He will probably get an older goalie (not a 20 yr old) as a back-up to give Tyson the comfort of having an "older" player ready to lend a hand rather than a younger one. He did say if Barnstable (who they will bring up to back up) plays well "you never" no.

3. I don't think Chad Scariff will be back as Hay still thinks Chilliwack owns his rights and according to the post here he has been released from thier list.

4. Dustin Slade has not got a contract to go pro according to Hay. He thinks that Slade may go to Tier 2 or what ever- but was not happy playing only 50% based on his performance last year.

dj-kris
11-21-2006, 01:38 AM
I found the following on a net search regarding Kevin Opsahl.

The Alberni Valley Bulldogs have announced Kevin Opsahl, 86, has accepted an opportunity to play in the major juniors for the Kingston Frontenacs of the Ontario Hockey League.
he has been back with alberni for about a month now

dj-kris
11-21-2006, 01:39 AM
3. I don't think Chad Scariff will be back as Hay still thinks Chilliwack owns his rights and according to the post here he has been released from thier list.

he was removed from the active roster but i think they still hold his rights

Knuckles Muldoon
11-21-2006, 01:44 AM

Don seemed very quick to dismiss the idea of bringing Scarffie back, which was a little surprising.

Swando
11-21-2006, 01:51 AM
Don seemed very quick to dismiss the idea of bringing Scarffie back, which was a little surprising.

I think it is because we are not scoring goals. If we needed better defense..then a Scaffie would be a thot.

Jimmy
11-21-2006, 05:34 AM
Boogaard'd

This was supposed to be the year.

nivek_wahs
11-21-2006, 05:43 AM
I really don't know what to say... I wish Dusty good luck in his pursuit of his pro-dreams and aspirations punk rock

"The 20 year-old has made the decision to pursue opportunities in pro hockey."I guess that is better outright demanding a trade.

SectionNDeserter
11-21-2006, 07:36 AM
Quite a shocking turn of events! Too bad he waited until Tartaglione was dealt to make this 'decision'. Should be interesting to see if Sexsmith can remain motivated now without a role model/someone to push him.

Beaner
11-21-2006, 09:45 AM
More from the Vancouver Sun.

from, http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/sports/story.html?id=4e9b2a71-5d5a-4de5-8b8e-6c783facb7a3

Slade walks out on Giants
Netminder unhappy splitting duties

Ian Walker, Vancouver Sun
Published: Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Not even the promise of a second trip to the Memorial Cup was good enough for Dustin Slade.

The 20-year-old goaltender walked out on the Vancouver Giants Monday, ending his relationship with the defending Western Hockey League champions.

Unhappy with his role of splitting Vancouver's netminding duties with 17-year-old Tyson Sexsmith, Slade said he'd rather pursue a professional gig in the East Coast Hockey League than sit on the bench every other game in the "Dub."

"It's frustrating -- it's like being a healthy scratch," said the Penticton native, who led the Giants to their first WHL title last season, going 16-2 in the playoffs and setting a number of WHL records for shutouts in the process. "I want to be out there -- I think I've earned that. As a 20-year-old, I have to play."

But by leaving the Giants, Slade assures himself of nothing. The club still holds his rights, so he can't sign of his own accord with another WHL club if his professional aspirations don't pan out.

Gerry Johannson, his Edmonton-based agent, has yet to have serious discussions with any ECHL team.

"We haven't begun to really look, this all just came up yesterday," said Johannson. "I'll get on the phones this week. I'm assuming someone needs a goalie and we'll grab the best opportunity."

Giants head coach Don Hay, who has been rotating his goalies this season, has always maintained that once the playoffs arrive he will go with the netminder who's playing the best at that time.

Hay -- who only heard the news officially just prior to practice -- was surprised by the decision, but wasn't shedding any tears.

"If he's not happy, it's better he made the decision to move on," said Hay, who met with his team following the mid-afternoon session at the Giants training facility in Ladner to inform them of Slade's decision. "He's not the victim in this. We moved two good kids to keep him. That's where my disappointment comes."

Slade joined the Giants prior to the 2005-06 season with a reputation of having more baggage than Samsonite -- he was sent home by the Regina Pats for on- and off-ice misconduct during the 2004-05 campaign, and his rights were subsequently traded to the Giants.

NEXT GAME

Wednesday

at Spokane

Chiefs

7 p.m.

AM 730
© The Vancouver Sun 2006

patsfan33
11-21-2006, 10:09 AM
according to Pats play by play commentator, Giants are attempting to get Tartaglione back...

http://rodpedersen.blogspot.com/

Rod-Servations

VANCOUVER - Here are some sports musings from the west coast.

Commotion by Ocean: 7:25am on Vancouver's #1 radio station, CKNW, and they're talking about goalie Dustin Slade walking out on the Vancouver Giants and TAKING CALLS! He's mad he didn't get the start against us on Saturday night. He threw a fit last week when he found out he wouldn't get the start and still hadn't calmed down by yesterday when he walked out. Vancouver hockey fans are outraged and the Giants are up in arms. They're trying to work out a deal to get Tommy Tartaglione back from the Pats. Regina got him in a trade with Vancouver on October 4th.

More later, including Rider news... but I need to check in here at the airport. We're headed to Prince George for tonight's Pats' game.

Beaner
11-21-2006, 11:22 AM
according to Pats play by play commentator, Giants are attempting to get Tartaglione back...

Interesting, we traded Tommy for a 4th round pick.

Would a 3rd round pick be enough to get him back or maybe a 3rd rounder plus a player off the 50ppl, maybe Barnstable, or Orth (both goalies for you pats fans out there) ?

old_time_hockey
11-21-2006, 11:50 AM
Quite a shocking turn of events! Too bad he waited until Tartaglione was dealt to make this 'decision'. Should be interesting to see if Sexsmith can remain motivated now without a role model/someone to push him.

I think he has maintaining or boosting his draft position to push him. But the having a vet to talk to is not easy to replace.

witness
11-21-2006, 11:59 AM
The Pats have a couple of great goaltender prospects within their system (Bosch and Laycock). They picked up Tartaglione because he filled a hole for an older goaltender. I can't see the Pats giving him back for a draft pick.

I would assume that the Giants will wait to see how Sexsmith handles the pressure of being number 1. I can see them doing something at the trade deadline. The price of goaltenders just went up and the price maybe too high for Vancouver right now.

old_time_hockey
11-21-2006, 12:21 PM
The Pats have a couple of great goaltender prospects within their system (Bosch and Laycock). They picked up Tartaglione because he filled a hole for an older goaltender. I can't see the Pats giving him back for a draft pick.

I would assume that the Giants will wait to see how Sexsmith handles the pressure of being number 1. I can see them doing something at the trade deadline. The price of goaltenders just went up and the price maybe too high for Vancouver right now.

That is all true.

I think Sexsmith can handle the #1 spot. I just worry that they have no one to back him up. We at least need someone we feel comfortable putting in against the Whack and Portland to give Sexy a night off. Especially in back to back situations.

Carebear
11-21-2006, 12:45 PM
Interesting, we traded Tommy for a 4th round pick.

Would a 3rd round pick be enough to get him back or maybe a 3rd rounder plus a player off the 50ppl, maybe Barnstable, or Orth (both goalies for you pats fans out there) ?

LEAVE ORTH ALONE!
He stays in Langley!!
OR..you deal with me! :burningma

Didn't Slade billet with the Toigo's? That must've been an awkward situation packing up his stuff!

Furthermore, we should get Petkau from the Bruins now. :)

GF71
11-21-2006, 01:18 PM
ORTH sucks!!!! I believe that the Giants released him after camp but i could be wrong.

langdak
11-21-2006, 02:11 PM
LEAVE ORTH ALONE!
He stays in Langley!!
OR..you deal with me! :burningma

The Langley Chiefs can keep Orth....aka Mr. Orange Pads, the only time i wanna see him in the Coliseum is in the stands eating a hot dog.

Bran
11-21-2006, 02:33 PM

Exactly.

I would take anything Rod Pedersen says with a grain of salt, anyway. He likes to stir things up.

Gerg
11-21-2006, 04:14 PM
Furthermore, we should get Petkau from the Bruins now. :)
Good luck, they're not going to give up the only second line threat they have. Not unless the Giants are going to give something up to get him.

Tips Fan 21
11-21-2006, 04:22 PM
I don't think a young guy is really the best option for the Giants right now...

But it sounds like they have Barnstable, Orth, don't they also have Jesse Kallechy?? but he is 16

I think if they could get Tommy back that would be the best option, because it would not be a new player in the room and he is a well liked player by his team mates and who is capable of backing up Tyson

dj-kris
11-21-2006, 04:54 PM
. but I need to check in here at the airport. We're headed to Prince George for tonight's Pats' game.
what what what i hope he had to make a trip home then back to pg because they are not supposed to fly

Carebear
11-21-2006, 04:56 PM
Good luck, they're not going to give up the only second line threat they have. Not unless the Giants are going to give something up to get him.

yah yah i know.
Wishful thinking.

Gerg
11-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Hmm... I wonder why ;)

Section_Z
11-21-2006, 05:08 PM
Well, good luck to him. I think it was a bad decision, but I'm not Dustin Slade.
Thoughts on his ECHL possibilities....
Alaska may be looking as their top Goalie got called up.

Augusta is in the same boat. And their Goalie depth was already weak. This may be one of the only teams where Slade would have a shot at #1....And the best part is he'd be battling Jaeger for the spot...=)

Columbia would be good. He could split games 50/50 with Todd Ford as his current back up is tanking....Two disgruntled Giants goalies...together at last.

Idaho needs a back up, but Slade would probably see less ice time than he's getting now. Long Beach and Utah and Wheeling...same deal. Texas, too....he could play with Albers blocking shots for him again....Albers is 3 4 for 7 and a -2 in 11 games, by the way...

Pensacola just needs help period. If it's lack of Shots that Slade is pining for, then he should go here. We could see how he plays without a defense to back him up....

Well those are my thoughts...Hard to follow the ECHL too closely...
I think by the time he finds a deal...then gets into the roster and gets a few games under his belt which he'll need to prove himself. I can see him only playing 2 or 3 games before the New Year....I hope it works out for him.

ams19
11-21-2006, 05:20 PM
You can have Carey Price. haha
Chet Pickard is playing well for us. Carey could help you and give Sexsmith more experience next year when Carey is gone to the pros. We get some picks and get to bring up Kyle Birch as a back up. Just a thought.

dondo
11-21-2006, 07:54 PM
This descision didnt happen overnight. Since the beggining of the year the coaching staff has encouraged Dustin to go on to the pro leagues. They felt it wasn't good for him to split duties. It was a tough descision for him to finally except this. Since the begining of the year he only wanted to play and see vancouver bring home a m. cup.

I find this odd that the coaching staff would be encouraging him to find a pro contract. I think its much more about the playing time but let's look at it this way.

If he's focused on his hockey career, why would he leave one the best junior teams in the country which is probably one of the more visible teams in terms of scouting and go to an ECHL squad (let's for the hell of it - say the Victoria Salmon Kings) which will get very little scout coverage and he will disappear off the radar.

Combine that with being in a guaranteed Memorial Cup year where the visibility is even higher and it seriously makes no sense to me.

I see this being about ego and not much more and once again Dustin has unfortunately made the wrong decision, as there is no better place than the Vancouver Giants this year for primo visibility and even sharing the duties with Tyson -- had he sucked it up and played his best, then the team would continue to succeed and he would get the notoriety that would put him in better stead for a pro-job.

To play devil's advocate here .. unless he drops a level and sandbags for a lower level team (which won't help his progression at all) he is not going to find a pro-contract where he's the starter (so instead of 50% of 72 games he might get 20% of 80 games or something), so he'll be a back-up (maybe and possibly third man down) and not see the ice more than he is now.

Frankly its a colossally stupid decision in my mind and for a potential NHL hockey career it could seriously be death. It seems to be nothing but a selfish act by a player who is too short-sighted to see the big picture which is that the visibility he has on the Giants is higher and better with respect to getting an NHL team to notice him than any other venue at this time.

I like Dustin and will miss him, but this move will not be putting his career on the fast rack any time soon.

eecliff
11-21-2006, 09:57 PM
Is Dustin up to some of his old tricks ?
If so, could this be the beginning of the end ?

Giants' goalie Slade tones down his imp act
By Jeff Paterson
Publish Date: March 9, 2006

Some might wonder where the Vancouver Giants would be this season without Dustin Slade-after all, hockey teams only go as far as their goaltending will take them. But the better question is where would Slade be without the Giants. A year ago, the 20-year-old Penticton native had been relegated to the British Columbia Hockey League. It seemed he had worn out his welcome in the Western Hockey League, and with it perhaps a shot at a professional hockey career.
Slade is long on talent, and nobody ever doubted his ability to stop pucks. There were many doubts, however, about his character, his commitment, and his out-of-control temper that flared up faster than his stock declined. But to his credit, Slade seems to have learned from his mistakes, and he has been one of the big reasons the Vancouver Giants head into the WHL playoffs this month as a legitimate Memorial Cup contender.
Getting a chance to be a number-one netminder on a very good hockey team was something Slade had never experienced in previous WHL stints in Kamloops, Brandon, and, most recently, Regina. But a much-publicized falling-out with the owners of the Pats a year ago led to Slade walking away from the team and winding up playing Junior A in Surrey for the remainder of last season.
"Last year was kind of a setback there after Christmas, going down to play in Surrey," he says of his WHL hiatus. "I had to take a step back because that was really tough to take."
But much of Slade's demise was his own doing. He had a reputation as both a hot dog and a hothead, and it was widely known in hockey circles that it didn't take much to get him off his game. Opponents would crash his crease in an attempt to set him off, and more often than not, Slade would come up swinging.
"You've got pro scouts, coaches, you name it, telling you you'll make it [as a pro], but you've got to get rid of that part of your game and channel your energy into better things," he explains. "That's what I had to do when I went down a league last year; it was kind of an eye opener. My fourth year of junior and I'm going down a league, so it was kind of a thing that I had to figure out what I wanted if I wanted to play hockey, then I better change that aspect of my game. I still play with fire; I have over 30 penalty minutes and that's just because I like cleaning up the front of my net and I don't like guys bumping into me. But my defencemen have really stepped up in terms of taking care of things, so all I have to do is worry about stopping pucks."
And few have stopped pucks better than Dustin Slade this season. In 50 games through the end of February, he had posted a record of 33-11-5, with a 1.90 goals-against average and nine shutouts. He's already set Giants franchise records for wins and shutouts in a season, is among the league leaders in minutes played and GAA, and has been named Western Hockey League player of the week (November 28 to December 4) and Canadian Hockey League goalie of the week (February 13 to 19).
"It was such a positive when I got traded here in the off-season, and I was really excited to be playing for a team that is going to be hosting the Memorial Cup next year. You know they're going to be building for a winning team," he says of his first season with the Giants. "Just coming here and playing on a team like the Giants was uplifting for me, and it's really helped me improve my game and it's fun to play hockey again. It's been good for me and I'm really having a good time."
Don Hay has been a around the block a few times and has seen more than his share of junior hockey players in need of an attitude adjustment. The head coach of the Giants knew Dustin Slade by reputation only before the season, but he didn't want that to cloud his judgment. Hay wanted to give Slade every opportunity to prove that he could play, that he could keep his emotions in check, and that he had fully recovered from a knee injury that ended his season during the BCHL playoffs last spring.
And there's no question the coach likes what he's seen.
"He's still a young guy, but he is maturing. He knows more than anything what I'll put up with and what he can get away with," Hay says. "He knows how far he can go, and he better not go any further than that. He's really realizing that if he's more under control, the hockey team that plays in front of him is more under control. If he's erratic, then our team is going to play erratic. And the one thing I don't want our team to do is be an erratic type of team. You need the good, sound goaltending to make the saves when they're needed and not create more problems than there already are on the ice. I think he's learning how to do that and he understands that his main job is to stop the puck-it's not to create chaos on the ice or do other things. He's still a little bit of an entertainer with the fans. And he likes to go into the buildings where people do not like him and they know he has a little bit of a reputation, and he likes to prove a lot of people wrong."
Dustin Slade's detractors will point to the fact he has never won a Western Hockey League playoff game in parts of three seasons in the league. He'll get every opportunity to change that shortly, and the Giants are confident he'll be up to the challenge. It really is a remarkable story: a guy who a year ago looked like he had played himself right out of the WHL now hoping to have the chance to play for a Western League championship.

:confused:

Hunt24
11-21-2006, 11:26 PM
what what what i hope he had to make a trip home then back to pg because they are not supposed to fly

The no fly rule doesn't apply during the regular season. The Giants have already down the roundtrip flight thing to PG. It's only during the post-season where it can be an advantage over a series.

dj-kris
11-21-2006, 11:40 PM
that would explain the charter bus lines of bc bus at the game on friday in the wack

nivek_wahs
11-24-2006, 06:18 AM
From Regina's LeaderPost http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=4b5bda60-5530-46f7-93d5-dc999b5c0a12&k=47604

Slade's exit didn't surprise Parker

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, November 24, 2006

Dustin Slade has been unmasked -- again.

While many WHL observers remain befuddled by news that Slade walked out on the Vancouver Giants early this week, the all-star goalie's defection provoked a much different retort from his former boss.

"Surprise wouldn't be the word I would use," Regina Pats GM Brent Parker said with a laugh. "I'm disappointed. I don't like to see anybody pull the pin on their team like that. (The Giants) have done a lot for him and treated him well. That shows complete disrespect for their organization. But sadly it doesn't surprise me. I wish I was more surprised."

Slade left the team Monday after expressing indignation over Vancouver's new goalie rotation -- a 50/50 split with top prospect Tyson Sexsmith.

The last straw apparently came Saturday night when Slade didn't get the call for a grudge match against the Pats, who had tossed him onto the WHL scrap heap two years earlier.

Slade appeared to salvage a promising career in Vancouver, his fourth WHL stop in three seasons. Now he's looking for another new home -- plus a new agent.

According to the Vancouver Province, prominent WHL player representative Gerry Johannson has told Slade he will try to find him a job in the pro ranks, then terminate their relationship.

It's like deja vu all over again for the Pats, who once thought Slade would take Josh Harding's place as their next franchise goalie.

They were wrong about him -- but they're not the only ones.

"I don't really look at it as vindication," said Parker, who enrolled Slade in anger management classes during the summer of 2004. "Whether Dustin Slade was in Vancouver right now or not I still feel (getting rid of him) was the right thing for our hockey club at the time. If people want to look at it and say maybe they see now what we were talking about, I don't know."

One thing is certain, Parker doesn't regret sending Slade home early in the 2004-05 season due to repeated disciplinary issues, highlighted by his infamous brawl-inducing blowups.

Parker eventually dealt the talented but volatile netminder to Vancouver -- for Matt Robinson and a pair of fifth-round bantam picks. Ironically, Slade was praised for being an exemplary citizen last season while backstopping the Giants to their first WHL title.

By walking out, Slade turned down a guaranteed return ticket to the Memorial Cup, which is being hosted this season by Vancouver.

He also leaves just one shutout shy of the WHL career record of 21.

"He's well known as a combustible personality," Parker said of his former fan favourite -- now labelled a turncoat in Vancouver. "There were a number of people who were probably waiting for this to happen. Some were surprised it took this long."

Slade's sudden departure created another interesting twist for the Pats, who have been contacted by Vancouver about the possibility of reacquiring backup goalie Tommy Tartaglione. The 18-year-old was Vancouver's third-stringer before an Oct. 11 trade to Regina.

"I'm sure they've talked to a few teams," said Parker. "They thought very highly of Tommy as a person when we traded for him so I would have done the same thing in their shoes just to phone and see what's going on. But we're not intending on doing anything, that's for sure."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2006