PDA

View Full Version : Spurgeon to the Giants?

rinkrat
11-21-2006, 05:42 PM
http://www.network54.com/Forum/131949/message/1164126081/Vancouver+Province+article++%28Spurgeon+among+cand idates+to+fill+Giants%27+20-year-old+void%29

This guy claims that the Giants have inquired about Spurgeon.Any truth to this? What do you guys think?

old_time_hockey
11-21-2006, 05:51 PM
http://www.network54.com/Forum/131949/message/1164126081/Vancouver+Province+article++%28Spurgeon+among+cand idates+to+fill+Giants%27+20-year-old+void%29

This guy claims that the Giants have inquired about Spurgeon.Any truth to this? What do you guys think?

Sounds like too many strings to pull to get that one to fly. Gotta get his NHL team to decide to send him back to the Dub.

Then you got to work out some sort of deal with the Bruins to hand over his rights. But at what cost?

But if they could get it to fly without "over paying", I'm for it.

dj-kris
11-21-2006, 05:56 PM
I'm thinking it would cost them a lot to get spurgeon he is not just a scorer he is a tremendous leader the bruins were very excited at the slight possibility he might come back to the bruins after oilers training camp

dondo
11-21-2006, 07:28 PM
sounds like a bunch of wishful thinking -- if he's not being allowed to report to the Bruins I don't see the NHL squad allowing him to go to the Giants. There are other 20 year olds we could make plays for who are similar, but don't come with so much baggage.

Beaner
11-21-2006, 08:42 PM
I'm thinking it would cost them a lot to get spurgeon he is not just a scorer he is a tremendous leader the bruins were very excited at the slight possibility he might come back to the bruins after oilers training camp

I dont think the cost would be that high, lets face it he is not coming back to the Bruins, and probably not the Giants either, unless Pat Quinn works some kind of magic.

Beaner
11-21-2006, 08:45 PM
sounds like a bunch of wishful thinking -- if he's not being allowed to report to the Bruins I don't see the NHL squad allowing him to go to the Giants. There are other 20 year olds we could make plays for who are similar, but don't come with so much baggage.

Big difference between an expansion team and a Memorial cup host team Dondo, int he eyes of NHL teams.

And I am unsure as to what baggage you are talking about with Spurgeon. He was left open to grab in the expansion draft by the Rockets, and the Oilers more than likely felt it was better for his development to play in the minors as opposed to an expansion WHL team.

Hunt24
11-21-2006, 08:50 PM
There was a similar situation last year with Cam Cunning being returned to junior by the flames after he was playing the ECHL. The difference is that Spurgeon is producing at that level. He's got 10 points in 12 games so his return would seem unlikely. The cost for Cunning was a 4th round pick so maybe Spurgeon would cost in that area - if the Oilers were to allow him to return to junior.

dondo
11-22-2006, 11:51 PM
Big difference between an expansion team and a Memorial cup host team Dondo, int he eyes of NHL teams.

And I am unsure as to what baggage you are talking about with Spurgeon. He was left open to grab in the expansion draft by the Rockets, and the Oilers more than likely felt it was better for his development to play in the minors as opposed to an expansion WHL team.

the baggage of being up with the big squad and I know that they would be more inclined to send him to the Giants over pretty much any other team in the dub right now, but it would require working out a deal with the bruins first and then seeing if you can get the Oil to give him up. I did not mean mental baggage just the hoops to go through to get him inked and able to play.

baggage was probably the wrong word

Swando
11-23-2006, 01:09 AM
Not to put a screw into things but it makes so much more sense to send Brule down rather than a 20 yr old. Maybe Hitch and Hay have a relationship via Kamloops. If Quinn would have landed the Columbus job and sent down Brule would that have been a conflict of interest?? lol

Gerg
11-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Not to put a screw into things but it makes so much more sense to send Brule down rather than a 20 yr old. Maybe Hitch and Hay have a relationship via Kamloops. If Quinn would have landed the Columbus job and sent down Brule would that have been a conflict of interest?? lol
So, how about no. Brule's already playead 9 games with Columbus. He ain't coming back.

Hunt24
11-23-2006, 03:28 PM
It seems we have to keep clarifying this. Brule can be sent back at any time. The 10 game rule applies to his salary only, since he's played more than 10 Columbus now has to pay him his full salary for the year regardless of what they do with him. If he plays greater than 40 games his full salary counts against the cap and he's one year closer to being a UFA. Brule, if he's sent down by Columbus has to come back to junior because he's 19. He can not be sent to the AHL under any circumstance.

old_time_hockey
11-23-2006, 04:44 PM
If he plays greater than 40 games his full salary counts against the cap

This will be the key. Do they want to hold onto him and have him count against the cap if they aren't going to give him minutes so he can't produce?

From a business POV it is better to send him back and use that cap space to bring in someone that you think can fill the role better.

dondo
11-23-2006, 10:43 PM
actually H24 -- I was sure that a player who played 10 games in the NHL lost their junior eligibility -- I know the 40 games is the salary, but I'm pretty sure that playing 10 games in the NHL nullifies your ability to return to your junior club.

Kassian
11-23-2006, 10:48 PM
actually H24 -- I was sure that a player who played 10 games in the NHL lost their junior eligibility -- I know the 40 games is the salary, but I'm pretty sure that playing 10 games in the NHL nullifies your ability to return to your junior club.

That was the case last season I believe. But apparently that rule was changed and Brule (or any player in his situation) can be sent back to their junior team regardless if they pass the 10 game mark.

Gerg
11-23-2006, 10:51 PM
That was the case last season I believe. But apparently that rule was changed and Brule (or any player in his situation) can be sent back to their junior team regardless if they pass the 10 game mark.That would be where I got screwed up. I had no idea they changed that rule.

dondo
11-23-2006, 10:53 PM
thx for the update Kassian because we've been talking about this in those terms for a few years now at least

-- well I'd love to Brule back here -- but i assume by now that the BJs will be committed to paying him for the year, so they'll probably keep him up there.

quick question: I can't remember how many games a rookie can play before they aren't able to compete for the Calder trophy .. for example: at what point will Brule be considered in his first rookie year in the NHL.

Kassian
11-23-2006, 11:03 PM
That would be where I got screwed up. I had no idea they changed that rule.

Who can blame you? They change so many damn rules all the time. :skeptical

Knuckles Muldoon
11-24-2006, 12:01 AM
That was the case last season I believe. But apparently that rule was changed and Brule (or any player in his situation) can be sent back to their junior team regardless if they pass the 10 game mark.
No, think the very same situation happened 3 or 4 years ago in Kamloops with Scottie Upshall. He came back to the 'Loops and collected his NHL salary.

Kassian
11-24-2006, 12:07 AM
No, think the very same situation happened 3 or 4 years ago in Kamloops with Scottie Upshall. He came back to the 'Loops and collected his NHL salary.

Maybe so. I do know that got a lot of attention last season after the new CBA. Like I said before who knows really. Things change so much with this sport. :spineyes:

dj-kris
11-24-2006, 12:37 AM
quick question: I can't remember how many games a rookie can play before they aren't able to compete for the Calder trophy .. for example: at what point will Brule be considered in his first rookie year in the NHL.
35 i think it is or a certain age

nivek_wahs
11-24-2006, 12:53 AM
From the following link...
The current eligibility criteria is that the player must not have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in the NHL, as well as being under the age of 26 on September 15 of the season in which he is eligible.This is for the NHL All-Rookie Team: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_All-Rookie_Team

crush
11-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Right now on tv I'm watching cincinnati vs. toledo in an ECHL game--it's pretty BAD hockey! Other than Spugeon playing against men in the ECHL, I wonder if it might be better for his development to play with Vancouver this year? I guess we will have to wait and see!

rinkrat
11-24-2006, 07:52 PM
Just watching the Blades vs Wheatkings,in the intermission Scott Rintoul said that Chilliwack wants Bouma or Regner for Spurgeon. :laugh: :clap:

Good luck with that Bruins.

dondo
11-24-2006, 08:16 PM
thanks nivek_wahs that was the question -- i was wondering if the BJs would be inclined to send Brule back down prior to crossing that barrier, but I suppose not.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-24-2006, 08:21 PM
Just watching the Blades vs Wheatkings,in the intermission Scott Rintoul said that Chilliwack wants Bouma or Regner for Spurgeon. :laugh: :clap:

Less than zero chance of that happening. Get real, Mr. May.

Beaner
11-25-2006, 11:50 AM

Pretty steep price.
Last year, with Cam Cunning, the situation was identical, 20 year old not coming back to the team that held his rights, and all Vancouver got was a 3rd and 6th round pick for Cam and a 6th round pick.

Now Spurgeon is a better player, but, the price shouldn't be all that much higher. A second rd pick should be the appropriate price.

---
What about - Archibald and Spurgeon for Bouma and a 3rd rd pick? Or, Bouma and Barnstable?

Archibald would be a good 1B goalie, and he is 19.

Of course all this would hinge on the fact that Spurgeon would come back to the WHL this year.

BruinsFan19
11-25-2006, 12:05 PM
From the Chilliwack Progress....

Vancouver Giants overage goaltender Dustin Slade left the WHL team earlier this week, upset at having to split playing time with 17-year-old Tyson Sexsmith, and it’s been rumoured that the Giants would contact the Bruins about acquiring another 20-year-old.

Bruins property Tyler Spurgeon is one of the names that has been bandied about, but the Edmonton Oilers prospect and former Kelowna Rockets captain has preferred to pursue a pro career in the Oilers’ farm system rather than play in the WHL. Spurgeon has five goals and five assists through 12 games with the ECHL’s Stockton Thunder this year, and given his preference to play professionally, May doesn’t think the centre is much of a tradeable asset.

“As far as Spurgeon goes, I think his mind is made up,” May said. “He’s played in three Memorial Cups already, so it’s kind of a been there, done that thing for him. I think he’s moved on.”

Defenceman Chad Scharff, whom the Bruins plucked off waivers after the Giants cut him at the overage deadline, didn’t report to Chilliwack but remains property of the Bruins. May said that the Giants haven’t made any inquiries about the 20-year-old.

Beaner
11-25-2006, 12:30 PM
Interesting, thanks for that update Bruinsfan19.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-25-2006, 01:02 PM
Quite honestly, I think I'd rather pick up Chris Ray over Spurgeon. Ray would probably love the chance to escape Kelowna and join the Giants, whereas Spurgeon is probably happy where he is. Attitude and willingness play a big part here.

old_time_hockey
11-25-2006, 07:24 PM
I'm sure Ray would love to come here. But the Rockets need to hang onto him. Unless they can get some good young players that they might be lacking in their system to help the rebuild along.

dondo
11-25-2006, 08:11 PM
do you think we might be able to pry Hunter from the Cougs, closer to the trade deadline? Just thinking out loud.

taylor0017
11-25-2006, 08:19 PM
If the Canes are so far out of the playoffs after xmas I can see the Canes giving Kris Hogg a chance to win a championship and maybe land an NHL contract by trading him for some young talent........Vancouver would be a perfect place for Hogg to do all that.....but who does Vancouver give up?
Just my thought ....

rinkrat
11-25-2006, 09:04 PM
do you think we might be able to pry Hunter from the Cougs, closer to the trade deadline? Just thinking out loud.

I'm not a fan of Hunter.I know you like him,Dondo.I think he is very sporatic and not consistant,seems moody.Also can be a bit of a punk/cheap shotter.
Lots of raw talent,he has speed and scoring touch,I just don't see him buying in to Don's system,especially if he is only here for two months.
Just my opinion. :D

BruinsFan19
11-25-2006, 09:40 PM
Gotta agree with rinkrat on that one.

He's talented but when I've seen him in Chilliwack he seems to have a bad attitude and doesn't try very hard.

Kassian
11-26-2006, 01:12 AM
I'm not a fan of Hunter.I know you like him,Dondo.I think he is very sporatic and not consistant,seems moody.Also can be a bit of a punk/cheap shotter.
Lots of raw talent,he has speed and scoring touch,I just don't see him buying in to Don's system,especially if he is only here for two months.

I also agree. I'm not a big fan of Hunter. Besides that, as long as Prince George is still in the playoff run (which they will be, IMO) I can't see them trading him especially to a division rival.

N.W. Bruin
11-26-2006, 01:27 AM
No way close to what he was last year. It was a surprise he was sent back to junior and he is performing that way in so much as saying "I shouldn't be in junior".

Beaner
11-26-2006, 02:34 PM
If the Canes are so far out of the playoffs after xmas I can see the Canes giving Kris Hogg a chance to win a championship and maybe land an NHL contract by trading him for some young talent........Vancouver would be a perfect place for Hogg to do all that.....but who does Vancouver give up?
Just my thought ....

Maybe, Hogg has been a consistent 20 goal scorer, and the Giants and Coach Dyck of Lethbridge also have the prior relationship when he was an assistant here.

Not sure if Hogg is what they are looking for though, I have a feeling they are looking for a center.

dondo
11-26-2006, 10:59 PM

good points.. especially about him not fitting into Don's system

I would still like to see us acquire a game-breaking player though