PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion ...

IceMan
01-14-2005, 06:13 PM
Not sure how you plan on running things, but one of the things that drives me nuts on the current N54 team boards is all the crossover of fans from one team to another's board, specifically to talk trash. I'd like to see you and the moderators curtail that, and have each team forum be just about that team, and kind of for it's fans "only". Have a separate "Trash Talk" forum where all of the people that like to snipe back and forth can hang out and drive each other crazy, but leave the team forums clean of that junk. It comes down to the type of forum that you want to run, and how each teams' moderator elects to patrol things, but I think that setting it up this way from the outset will set the right tone here.

Also, can I suggest that you add a generic "Hockey Discussions" forum, where people can talk about hockey in general (systems, schemes, newbie questions) that don't really fit into a team forum, or the WHL itself.

Fight Guy
01-14-2005, 06:25 PM
I like that idea...especially the one about trash talk. It would be nice to see the least amount of arguing in the team forums. It would be alright if there is a decent conversation or a decent post, THEN turns into more of an arguement, that should stay in the team's forum.

Jovorock
01-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Do we need a trash talk? That's what N54 is 75% of the time, I would vote to keep this a good WHL talk site IMO.

I would also keep it a WHL talk site, do we need to talk about the NHL or other leagues on this site?

IceMan
01-14-2005, 07:27 PM
Do we need a trash talk? That's what N54 is 75% of the time, I would vote to keep this a good WHL talk site IMO.

I would also keep it a WHL talk site, do we need to talk about the NHL or other leagues on this site?

No, I don't want to talk about other leagues. The "Hockey Talk" forum would be where you'd have discussions about "what is a trap?" or "are there any openings in the Seattle Adult Hockey League" .... hockey stuff, but not necessarily WHL stuff.

The trash talk, should be OUT of the team forums completely, but there's going to be people that want to do it, so why not have a trash talk area here, where all of those pinheads can have their fun, but stay out of our hair ?

Billy Blade
01-14-2005, 07:52 PM
I have set up a new forum in the community forums called Hockey 101. This will be the general hockey talk forum about the game itself. Thanks for the suggestion Highlander.

My vision for this site is a diverse community of fans who love the game and respect one another. Playful banter can be fun between fans of opposing teams but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed, and blatant trash talk and disrespectfulness will not be tolerated. Because we are going to try and keep a higher profile on this site and build it into the best it can be, at this time I won't specifically be adding a trash talk forum.

The_Vulk
01-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Unfortunately, you will be getting the bums and hecklers, the idiots and the retards, along with the sportsfans.

Those that can talk about their team, and other teams, without it become a personal, and those that can only do so by flaming and being rude.

Those that can abide by rules, and those that rules are meant to be broken and abused.

The idea of having a TRASH TALK forum is not a good one. For once people think they can do that on a forum (and get away with it), they will trash talk everywhere on the forum.

IceMan
01-14-2005, 08:56 PM
So long as the moderators are extra dilligent about keeping that junk out of the team forums, fine by me ;)

Mileflames
01-15-2005, 02:49 AM
So long as the moderators are extra dilligent about keeping that junk out of the team forums, fine by me ;)

We will do our best

Spungy
01-15-2005, 09:47 AM
there are alot of message boards out there with no trash talking. With good rules and moderating it is possible to keep a place peaceful so the majority can enjoy!

I like the hocky 101 already, i will be a regular on that thread for sure :D

C.F
01-15-2005, 01:56 PM
I don't see any problem with fans talking about other teams as long as it's clean. I do agree about the trash talk forum.

Duct Tape
01-16-2005, 08:50 PM
Trash talk is an inevitable occurance when you have teams sharing forum set-ups.

The best solution is to learn over time who the people who tend to Troll with non-sensical information, and ignore them.

As an example, if Kitchener, Guelph, Owen Sound and London's fans can generally peacefully co-exist at JrAhockey.com
http://www.jrahockey.com/phpBB2/index.php

Then i'm sure the fans of the entire WHL can get along here. It just takes good sense and patience, and thinking before you speak!!

Later

DT

Spungy
01-16-2005, 11:20 PM
Well said Duct Tape!

there is no reason we cant all co exist!

IceMan
01-17-2005, 12:08 AM
My perspective is that if you give folks a trash can (aka a smack talk forum) then 99% of them will use it. If you don't, you can fully expect them to dump crap all over the place ;)

The_Vulk
01-17-2005, 06:19 AM
My perspective is that if you give folks a trash can (aka a smack talk forum) then 99% of them will use it. If you don't, you can fully expect them to dump crap all over the place ;)
Then some people, rather than being fans and acting in a sportmanship manner, will be here just to cause problems, especially if the rules and moderators don't inforce them and keep the goons in line.

Lowering the standards to comform to the lowest common demoninator is not the way to go.

Knuckle Chucker
01-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Trash talk should not be tolerated but light banter is fun and should be allowed. If any of you have been to Riderfans.com you will see that there are regular posters there from other cfl teams. Most keep it clean. The mods will have to be on top of things. I can't wait for more fans to learn about this site. It is very quiet right now but i am sure it will pick up. The format is excellent

Chipper
01-22-2005, 05:38 PM
the thing about the other board is the anonymous posts, this is why I like this site in order to post you must have a name or handle, then you can at least see if the source is from a reputable poster or someone who just wants to raise hell

kelownakarl
01-22-2005, 06:56 PM
the thing about the other board is the anonymous posts, this is why I like this site in order to post you must have a name or handle, then you can at least see if the source is from a reputable poster or someone who just wants to raise hell

Amen to that. Anonymous posts are what killed the "WHL White Board".

upper level fan
01-22-2005, 07:41 PM
I enjoy this forum because of having to be signed in to post. That inturn I think will keep the trash talking down, because most of the trash talkers on the white board use a different name all the time because they are to chicken to stand by there comments. I use the same name on the white board and have for a couple years now. And there has been a couple threads that I posted to on this board and I wrote the same thing on the white board. The difference is on here I got intelligent response from the fans of the opposing team. Not that I agreed with them but they were at least intelligent. And on the white board I got a few ignorent responses and I got one guy making fun of my spelling. And there is always a few people that no matter what you say they will argue with you. Which there is nothing wrong with that as long as it always stays pretty clean. Well I like how this board is run and not sure if the moderators have had to delete anything yet, but it seems to be staying clean and enjoyable. Thanks everyone.

IceMan
01-22-2005, 10:43 PM
I'd much rather have 10% of the number of members, and 10% of the number of posts as the White Board (or most of the team boards) have ... but have them all be serious discussions, between serious hockey fans/people. It's nice to know that when you type something here, people not only understand it, but appreciate what you have to say.

grumphy
01-24-2005, 02:22 PM
Hi Jeff;

I have tried to get a private message through to you via the board but it does not seem to be working-------email me

The_Vulk
01-24-2005, 06:02 PM
I enjoy this forum because of having to be signed in to post. That inturn I think will keep the trash talking down, because most of the trash talkers on the white board use a different name all the time because they are to chicken to stand by there comments.
And there is always a few people that no matter what you say they will argue with you. Which there is nothing wrong with that as long as it always stays pretty clean. Well I like how this board is run and not sure if the moderators have had to delete anything yet, but it seems to be staying clean and enjoyable. Thanks everyone.
I have seen it when forums switched from one which one did not have to register to post to one which requires one to be signed in, we had certain people complaining. (Most likely, like you said, they would have to stand behind what they said.)

And then when an objectionable post/thread was removed...

The yelling about censorship, etc.

I'd much rather have 10% of the number of members, and 10% of the number of posts as the White Board (or most of the team boards) have ... but have them all be serious discussions, between serious hockey fans/people. It's nice to know that when you type something here, people not only understand it, but appreciate what you have to say.
Amen to that!

Let's talk hockey, between hockey fans!
(And not with the hooligans and in-DUH-viduals whom ruin any sportsmanship between people.)

Let's talk WHL! CHL! Memorial Cup!

IceMan
01-24-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm wondering if the Admin here can force everyone to put in their city/state/country ?

It would be cool to know where everyone's from as you're talking to them.

rinkrat
01-24-2005, 08:33 PM
posts aren't allowed if someone doesn't like them...You can't get into that mentality,its dangerous.Free posting,as long as it isn't crude or profane!
rinkrat

Tinner
01-25-2005, 05:56 PM
I, along with the owner of this board, and many others agree that we are tired of trash talk and don't want it part of this board. Yes you are certainly capable of posting whatever you want, once. If it doesn't follow the guidelines agreed to or stated when you joined, it will be removed and quite possibly your IP will be blocked.

I and many others hope to keep this board clean and useful with a majority of the postings. I find it very satisfying to talk to other posters without the expectation that someone with a different opinion will "trash talk" the posts.