PDA

View Full Version : Rebels US bus trip day 8-9

Shinyshoes
02-21-2005, 05:13 PM
Day 8

Woke up the morning of day 8, and we were trying to organize a BBQ outside the hotel. The Hotel we were staying at has a BBQ they offered us to use, and we took advantage. 2 people on our bus took control and went over to a grocery store to get burgers, chips and other things.
The Silvertips Booster Club was hosting a Parent / Fan party in the lobby of the hotel, so it was really neat being able to meet some of the parents of ex-rebels, and just chatting with them in general.

We had some good laughs with a number of the members of the silvertips booster club, with them tieing silvertips baloons to our bus, and us stickering the President of the sivertips booster club with some rebels stickers.

Joking Aside, the boosters we met are a great bunch of fans, and are welcome in Red Deer anytime. It was a pleasure to meet you, and hopefully we will see you in 2 years.

We finished our BBQ, and headed into downtown Everett to do some shopping and kill some time before the game. BIG Mistake. There is NOTHING open in downtown Everett on a Saturday Afternoon. After Wandering the streets for about an hour, most of us ended up in the subway a block away from the rink, and sat there and talked for about 2 and a half hours. Not fun.

Got into the rink, and met up with Kristi again. She is Such a neat lady. Chatted with her and some others for a bit before I grabbed a pop and started to head off to my post as Color Commentator again.

Got up to my seat, and Cam and I start discussing the building that everett has. Pretty Impressive. Seats just over 8000, and is LOUD! They love their hockey. They sure Crank up the Volume on the Stereo in there too.

The game opened up with a typical Silvertips Period. Icing, Offside, Icing, Icing, Offside, Icing. I think it took about 8 Minutes to play the first 2 minutes of hockey. Ouch. Anyhow Calla Scores before the 1st period is done, and Thats about all that happens in the 1st.

In an interesting twist, in the first intermission, there is a couple getting married!! Thats different. Anyhow, after a very short wedding cerimony, the couple goes off the ice and the second period is under way. Sutter starts off the Period with 5 Defencemen on the ice, obviously trying to spark the forwards into getting something going. The whole game up to this point is very chippy. The Silvertips Love to hold the oppositions forcheckers sticks going into the corners, and they continually get away with it. Lots of slashing going on both ways, and Love and Fraser finally Drop the mits. They start to dance, and not much is thrown either way. I would give the Decision to Love, as he got his arm free for 1 or 2, but i would revoke the decision after he throws a cheep one at Fraser after the linesmen are in. Fraser had obviously let up and the fight was over, both linesmen were in tieing them up, and Love comes around the ref to land one more....pretty Cheezy.

Anyhow, Calla Would get his second of the night, and the way the game has been going so far, that might just put the game out of reach. Billsten and Zetariuk will drop the gloves before the period is over. These 2 have some history from when Billsten was a Rebel. Zetariuk gets in 2 solid shots right off the hop, and Billsten never recovers. Billsten keeps pulling Zetariuk in tight, and eventually pins him up against the glass, obviously not wanting much more of Zetariuk. Zetariuk Eventually gets Billstens Jersey over his head, and the refs jump in befor thing can get ugly. Definate decision to Zetariuk, although Im not sure anyone landed anything after the inital 2 by Zetariuk.

3rd Period opens with the 5 Defencemen again. Same trick, same result. The Silvertips stick to their game plan of Icing, Offside, Icing, Icing and the rebels fail to get anything going. With about 4 minutes left in the Game Baranka takes a penalty and the rebels call a time-out. In a bold move, Sutter keeps Leslie on the bench and goes with the 6 on 4 for the rest of the penalty. The Rebs get control, and have control for almost the whole powerplay, and even after the powerplay, they continue to control, but still cannot beat Wall. Silvertips end up with the empty netter and the 3-0 win.

I do not envy the rebels on the bus ride home. They are going straight home threw the night, and after going 2-3 on this road trip, and not playing very well at all durring the trip, I dont anticipate the Rebels Brass Being to pleased with the boys.

We Quickly load the bus and make our way off to the Abbotsford hotel. Everything is pretty much on schedule and we pull into the border crossing. We all had our Customs forms filled out in advance. I tell my mom to make sure she ate all of her orange.... and Our bus driver walked into the building, and was only in there a short time, when he comes back out followed by a customs employee. We are all anticipating a search, so we start gathering up our stuff. Our driver gets back on the bus, and the Custom's Employee raises the stop arm, and off we go. A stunned silence hits the bus as we realize that they just let us go. No ID Check, No Search, no Nothing!! Right on. We pull into our hotel at about 12:00, and have a few bevvys before we are off to bed.

Day 9

9:00 Departure time on Day 9, and we are headed home. 12 hour bus ride today and we should be home around 9-10pm. We convince a local worker to take our picture beside the bus so we have a picture of the group. Quickly we are on our way. Nothing much spectacular happens on this trip. We stop in Golden for our last meal as a group, and are on our way quickly. We get into Red Deer at about 9:30 and say our good-byes.

First off, I would like to thank the people at home with all the encouraging words and keeping us all informed while we were away. Rebel39 and Rebel66, Big thanks guys. hopefully next time you can be with us.

I would personally like to thank each and every person on that bus. I could not have asked for a better bunch of people on the trip, and the memories we have will be talked about for a long time.

A special Thanks to Tiny and Tin-Cup. Thanks for all your help with the table at the rebels games, being somebody to bounce Ideas off and taking care of any odds and ends I needed them to.

and Finally to RDReb. My Right hand man, and the best helper a guy could ask for. I would be happy to organize any bus trip with you. Thanks buddy.

Thats it folks, all 9 days. Hopefully we can do it again, and maybe next season we can head out east. Thanks to all the fans we met along the way, and hopefully we will see you in Red Deer someday.

Doug "Shinyshoes"

tiny
02-21-2005, 06:41 PM
It is amazing what you can learn on an "educational trip" to a foreign country like the United States of America.

1. Snakes do come out in February in Kennewick. Just ask about it when you come to a game. Pictures to prove it. There is a fantastic river walk in Kenniwick.

2. Canadian beer is half price in the US. go figure. (US beer is worth half that! ;) Sorry to all the great US fans we met. We will buy you the good stuff up here next year.

3. AIt only takes from 10 pm to noon to organize the perfect BBQ even if the opposition parents are partying there at the same time. Thanks Ladies.

4. 50/50 in some rinks is limited to $1000 and is MUCH less in many US rinks($200.00 in one rink). We found that out after buying about $120.00 worth of the tickets in Kennewick and we still didn't win.

5. Some people can exist on 3h sleep each night (at least for a while) Right Tiger?? Some even catch their three hours in the closet.

6. Pack light...those bags get really heavy with the two extra "duty free" companions. The bags do get lighter as the trip progresses though. conserve... Duty free shops aren't always open on the return trip.

7. Everett arena is LOUD but will be louder when we are there two years from now. What an ideal facility.

8. Parents, Billets, Off-ice officials, Strangers, and just fans can become very close friends on a trip like this. It is next to impossible to explain how much we enjoyed the "hockey talk" when we had so many different views of the game. Hockey parents are GREAT PEOPLE!!

9. It is impossible to avoid gaining #@$%#@ pounds when it is Cards, Beer, Hockey, and a little sleep and start over again. Applebys and the Outback were great.

10. Shinyshoes is multi talented: Tourguide, timetabler, social event coordinator, and COLOUR GUY. BUT he still can't play cards even when he gives up beer.

11. Everett parents/booster club and the Rebel fans can stay in the same hotel for two days and totally enjoy each other's company. ( AND It is possible to place a Rebels sticker on the window of the Everett Booster Club President and still have him smile.

12. true fans anywhere (Spokane, Kennewick, Portland, Vancouver, Seattle, and Everett) are terrific people. Great to meet all of you. Please visit us when you can.

When we signed up for this trip, I was a little aprehensive about 32 people (parents, billets and fans) ranging in ages from 18-y to 70+y on an 9day/8night trip covering 6 games in 6 cities and about 3500k. It was even better when Charlie's gang, more Rebel parents, and Craig joined us. It was Absolutely PRICELESS!!!!!!!! :clap:

Shinyshoes, you and all our new friends, made this the trip of a lifetime.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Rebel66
02-21-2005, 07:56 PM
Your recaps were awesome Shiny. Really enjoyable. Thanks for doing them.

You honestly sounded really good on colour too. :clap:

BTW where are you all sitting at the Dome? We may end up coming down there by car so would love to sit in the same section as you guys.

Rebels_chick
02-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Great recaps guys! It sounds like it was an awesome time.
You guys really made me jealous ;) Too bad Red Deer isn't closer.

Shinyshoes
02-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Your recaps were awesome Shiny. Really enjoyable. Thanks for doing them.Glad You Enjoyed them, I had a fun time writing them....

You honestly sounded really good on colour too. :clap:Thanks....Hopefully I Can Do it again sometime! Thanks for the Heads up to stay out of the bevvys so it could happen
BTW where are you all sitting at the Dome? We may end up coming down there by car so would love to sit in the same section as you guys. I havnt ordered tickets yet, so give me a call or e-mail and I can get you cheap tickets in the same section as us......let me know because Im getting them ordered on Wed.!

See you then

kelownakarl
02-21-2005, 11:17 PM
I'm not a Rebels fan but excellent recaps! Sounds like quite the trip, glad everyone made it safely!

Bob in Everett
02-21-2005, 11:19 PM
Rebels fans are the best in the WHL!