PDA

View Full Version : Board Of Directors

Toswammi
11-23-2006, 09:59 AM
Me and some friends had this discussion last night, and none of us had an answer so i have decided to turn the question here. How do you get to be on the Broncos Board of Dircetors? Really curious thats all.

Johnsy05
11-23-2006, 07:25 PM
Me and some friends had this discussion last night, and none of us had an answer so i have decided to turn the question here. How do you get to be on the Broncos Board of Dircetors? Really curious thats all.

Politics plain and simple.

Chuckles
11-24-2006, 04:22 PM
I've asked around to a lot of people no one knows no one can give me any sort of responce.. Politics is the best answer i've seen thats just weak. Not saying i would want to be on it.. People love to complain but still uggh.. Anyone?? someone??

Toswammi
11-24-2006, 05:49 PM
Yeah i suck at politics. :laugh:
Seriously, i am also amazed i have never got an answer to this question either.

d-man
11-24-2006, 06:30 PM
The only explanation I've ever heard is uuuuhhh.... uuuummmm...??

I would guess that to be a director you would have to own shares in the team and each year there should be a call for nominations. Seats are then voted on by all shareholders - typical board of directors.

I've never attended a Bronco AGM but I don't ever recall hearing a call for nominations. Mind you shares in the team haven't been available to anyone for purchase in 20 years.

I'd love to hear how this "community owned team" selects its board. Dean, Joe Arling, Keen or Switzer - anyone any insight for us? :confused:

Broncs in RD
11-24-2006, 10:26 PM
I think you need to own a buisness in Swift Current, maybe a hotel?? I don't really know, but that is a tough question to answer and you have stumped alot of posters on here.

Willis on the Welfare
11-25-2006, 02:17 AM
When the Broncos moved to Swift in 86 there was probably a group of people who were appointed to the board. I'm guessing they probably have remained intact if for no other reason than no one has resigned or died yet.

That's only a guess on my part. The board has always chosen to remain a secret group who has never wanted the spotlight. They have never really had to make a crucial decision until the McEwen/Smith firing.

Maybe a question to ask at the hotstove saturday night?

PS: I'm drunk as I post this.

Willi$

Scout
11-25-2006, 08:34 AM
I've been to the AGM meetings. Yes you have to be a shareholder and have shares in the team. Now when i attend the AGM meetings the turn out is poor to ridiculous. There is all the team office staff, the board members, and media. Usually there may be 3-6 shareholders that ever show up. It is very hard to put out nominations for the board to the floor when non of the shareholders ever show up. It looked to me that when someone steps down from the board they have a short list of possible candidates. They pick and i'm guessing a shareholder who may be able to use their talent (ie:accountant,previous WHL experiance, investors,etc.) who may be able to guide the club financially. I realize their are a few on the board that don't have any of the above, but they are usually retired and can and do give 100% to helping.

When i have been to the AGM meeting they tell us who they would like to appoint to the board and ask for any nominations from the floor of anyone attending the AGM meeting and are a shareholder to nominate them. The problem is to do this you have to have their permission to do so. With the poor turn out of shareholders it's very hard to nominate someone when they never show up and you also have no idea of the boards short list. Maybe they could send out a mailer to shareholders a month before the AGM meetings with a short list of possible board members that they would like to see on the board and ask any shareholders of anyone they would like to nominate. This would give the shareholder the chance to contact the person they would like to nominate. That would give the shareholder the chance to prepare for the meeting and attend. The problem i see is if they don't care about what is going on with the club by not ever attending the AGM meetings then why would they care about board meetings. I do know that they did change the way the board operates by limiting the length of time they can sit on the board which i believe is now 4 years but i'm not sure.

Scout

d-man
11-25-2006, 10:59 AM
If the only offering of shares was in '86 then how many shareholders are still alive, live in SC or even remember that they own some and that they have a voice? Seems to me that unless new shares are offered for sale we have a very select and aging boys club.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't shares be sold for cash and couldn't this club use some money right now??? This board better start looking at the longevity of the club.

Scout
11-25-2006, 11:40 AM
As a share holder myself i'm no where near dying i hope. lol. But that is a very good point. If i remember right, way back when, the club felt they had went to the business community enough and thought they may get turned off with the hockey club always looking for more money. I will ask why it has never been offered again since 86 and should be open to everyone,not just business. Back then people teamed up to buy 1,000 shares at $1.00 each. I'm sure there would be a minimum amount so people don't buy 10 shares for $10.00. I think the minimum back then was either $500.00 but i'm not sure.

Scout

d-man
11-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I believe the minimum buy in was $1000 but your right a lot of people pooled there money together to buy. Anyone know how the Riders faired with their Rider Shares promotion?

Offsider
11-28-2006, 11:15 AM
I know one of the borad of directors that was not even living here when the Broncos came back I have seen the list of the shareholders at the time and there are a few names that are not there that are on the board today.

Scout
11-28-2006, 11:55 AM
As a share holder i'm pretty sure you have to have shares to be a director but that may have changed either that or some board members are representing the company they work for who may have shares.

Scout

double big gulp
11-29-2006, 08:31 PM
can a person still get shares?