PDA

View Full Version : Penner makes u17

Tigerfan96
11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
Raiders product 15 year old Cole Penner was still on the roster for Team Alberta for the upcomming u17 Canada Winter games
Congrats to Cole and all who are still on the list

Tigerfan96
11-24-2006, 06:05 PM
haha that team isnt that bad slow start i think...

Sabes
11-25-2006, 03:22 PM
Steph Vigier has made Team Manitoba also. Sask and BC will be named in January.

Sabes
11-25-2006, 03:26 PM
Also it's nice to see teams making press releases for their players being named and we don't even have a running website.

westbeach55
11-25-2006, 03:37 PM
Also it's nice to see teams making press releases for their players being named and we don't even have a running website.

haha i asked bruce vance when the site was going back up and all he said uhh i don't know, he was kind of a ignorant prick

Dwight Schrute
11-25-2006, 06:12 PM
i hope to see him get a chance some time this year. i was suprised he didnt get to dress as a a/p when the raiders were in med hat.

westbeach55
11-28-2006, 04:39 AM
Cole Penner is going to be heading north to play hockey in the next few years, but even further north for his next big test.
Penner, a 15-year-old centre for the Medicine Hat Big Country Energy Services Tigers and bantam pick of the Prince Albert Raiders, was selected last week for Alberta’s Canada Winter Games hockey team. The Games run Feb. 24 to March 10, 2007 in Whitehorse in the Yukon.
“I think it is huge,” said Penner, who stands 5-foot-10 and weighs 180 pounds. “It will be a really big eye opener. There are going to be a lot of junior guys there.
“I can’t go in there and be afraid. I have to go in there and show them my stuff and show them I can play.”
Penner is the only 15-year-old player on the Alberta team, and one of just four members on the squad chosen from the midget AAA ranks. The rest of the players are in their 16-year-old years coming from either the major junior or the junior A ranks.
Last summer, Penner attended a camp for Alberta’s under-16 program, and was told he would be evaluated for the Canada Games team for under-17 players. Last Tuesday, he received the call with the good news.
“I was really excited,” said Penner. “I just wanted to start off strong and hopefully, I had a chance of making it.”
In his first and what could be his only season in the midget AAA ranks, Penner has netted 10 goals and six assists in his first 15 games for the midget Tigers.
He is also a highly touted prospect for the WHL’s Raiders, who selected him in the first round and fourth overall in last May’s bantam draft.
In the bantam AAA ranks, Penner led the Medicine Hat Hockey Hounds to a provincial title netting 47 goals and 29 assists in 31 regular season games. He added 16 goals and 14 assists in 13 league playoff contests.
While he has had a lot of success in the past, Penner feels he has to prove he belongs on the Alberta team.
“It is a driving factor I think,” said Penner. “Any time you get to play with older players it is a privilege.
“You have to compete for your spot. You have to keep on working hard every night or else you will be sitting on the bench. My goal is to go out there and compete hard and show them that I am worthy.”
Past members of the Winter Games team include Kyle Chipchura, the captain of Canada’s last gold medal winning world junior team and a member of the American Hockey League’s Hamilton Bulldogs, Scott Hartnell of the NHL’s Nashville Predators and former WHL Medicine Hat Tigers defenceman Jay Bouwmeester, who plays for the NHL’s Florida Panthers.
Men’s hockey runs the first week of the games from Feb. 24 to March 3.

Raiderfan8
11-29-2006, 05:54 PM
If he turns out like any of those guys we are in for a treat!

RaiderFan19
12-01-2006, 10:56 PM
ahhh i was so happy to read that...:) cole is the coolest kid i have ever met, real down to earth can't wait to have him play for the raiders...and having that on his list of accomplishments will make the raids look somehwhat good i think...

Wildeyes
12-30-2006, 02:50 AM
does penner play for the mid AAA tigers ?

Small is a good play i watched him during the ice maina hopefully he can make an impact next yr

GP G A Pts PIMS

J herrod 22 8 12 20 60

S Labbatte 22 0 9 9 40

Sabes
12-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Jorden Iron 26GP 17G 13A 30P 16PIM's

Triton
12-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Mind you that it is midget AAA and is a completely different style and system than the WHL.

Time will tell.

Drop em' eh
12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
I tried to find what Lepp is doing but cant find him .

Lepp plays for Portage La Prairie in the Manitoba Junior hockey league :

Lepp, Daniel 18 gp 3 g 2 a 5 pts 41 pim

Riel Thompson is playing for Dauphin in the MJHL

Thomson, Riel 10 gp 4 g 5 a 9 pts 92 pim

Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Manitoba Junior Hockey League has issued the following suspension.

Riel Thomson of the Dauphin Kings has been suspended for one game for receiving an instigator penalty in the last ten minutes of the game on December 22, 2006 versus the Winnipeg South Blue

Karsten Felske - Winkler Flyers in the MJHL

Felske, Karsten 2 gp 120 min 67 shots 6 ga 3.00 avg .910 pct

MJHL link - http://www.mjhlhockey.ca