PDA

View Full Version : Mem Cup 2010 - who hosts?

hockey4
11-23-2006, 10:29 PM
who does everyone think will host. my breakdown with positive/negative:

calgary: + big building, more money, good fan base
- can guarantee building becasue the flames could still be playing (can hold 2 games in one day and CHL would not be able to display sponsors).

red deer: + big fan support, successful, community great at holding events, possible building expansion to what one would think 6800+, lots of $$$ in red deer, have bid twice.
- bid twice and failed. not much against them

saskatoon: + big building, likely good $$$$
- bad fan support, already hosted, successful?

everett: + good building, successful (sort of)
- geography (tv), too soon, not a hockey town

theres nobody else out there who i think could host it. So in the end my choice is RED DEER. Calgary would be there but ive talked to some other fans and they've all said the same thing; if calgary was viable they would have already hosted it (2004)

old_time_hockey
11-24-2006, 12:03 AM
The team that I might add to that list is Edmonton.

Positives:

They have an NHL sized building

Large fan base to draw from (true not all Oilers fans might jump on board...but given a Memorial Cup I'm sure they will buy tixs)

Will be their 3rd year into the league and by this time will have a team that will be able to compete..IF the team is managed right. Giants went to round 2 in their 3rd year.

Large enough airport to get people from across the country in and out (Red Deer, yeah is close to Calgary but there is still a drive to get there. Same as Everett. Quite a hike from Sea Tac Airport.)

Will probably have the assistance and contacts of the Oilers office

Negatives:

They haven't been around long enough to pay their dues

Might not have a team at the level that the CHL would like to see in the Memorial Cup.

canes77
11-24-2006, 08:34 AM
My guess is Red Deer because...It will likely be an Eastern Conference Team since the Western Conference has hosted in 2004 and now 2007, so count out Everett, even though they will likely host it in 2013. Saskatoon has already hosted it before so it likely won't get it, and I've heard it's not the best ice to play on. Calgary would have problems if the Flames were still in the playoffs, the CHL wouldn't want its sponsors on the boards and around the rink having to be changed every night. Calgary could host in the old Corral (since Vancouver is hosting in their non-NHL team's rink) but I doubt a 60 yr old barn seating 7000 would get considered. This leaves Red Deer, it has a new/decent arena and is within an hour of the Calgary airport. And as we've seen, Red Deer usually has a contending team.

canes77
11-24-2006, 08:47 AM
Reasons why Lethbridge WON'T get the bid, (I live here so these our my opinions)...the rink holds 5500 standing room, the media box is too small (couldn't even fit all the Calgary media during the Playoffs, some reporters were forced down to the concourse), cloest big airport is over 2 hrs away, and the fans/atmosphere has a bad rep (players call it the library, which is true except for playoff games). I wish it could come to Lethbridge, so I could watch it but sadly I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

GBG BLEED BLUE
11-24-2006, 01:48 PM
I agree that the big event should come to an Eastern Conferance team. Which city/team willl it be is the big question?

Maybe they should give it too a city that has not hosted it but they have to have the resources to make it happen.

But the other question is do the teams that want to try and make a bid have the seating capacity to do so.

I also know that arena capacity does not mean everything.

Brandon:5,102

Calgary:16,337(but the Flames play their also and they might need to use it then)

Red Deer:5,735

Regina:5,750

Prince Albert:2,580

Edmonton:16,839

Lethbridge:4.784

Kootenay:4,264

Swift Current:2,256

Moose Jaw:2,705

Medicine Hat: 4,006

Saskatoon: 11.310

So the teams that I think could host it are: Red Deer,Lethbridge,Brandon(maybe),Edmonton(but with the team being in the league for only 3 season,that could be a deal breaker) Calgary,Regina,and Saskatoon.

I think Saskatoon could be a strong posibility,but another city/team may get to host it instead.

hockey4
11-24-2006, 01:52 PM
If Edmonton is allowed to host the WHL will lose ALL credibility. They will forever be coined as "the league posessed by the mighty dollar". Not that allowing vancouver to host without a bid didnt already do it. Plus it takes edleast 3 years for MOST expansion teams to be mem cup competitive. Also, with the talent pool continuing to diminish, edmonton might take longer. And yes canes77, calgary wouldnt be allowed to host in the corral, for reasons everyone should know and im too lazy to describe. Regarding lethbridge, even if they expanded the building to complete the bowl (not sure why they dont need the extra seats), they would still only have MAX 6000 seats, and yes no press box. Im still sticking with red deer, hopefully they bid. they wont have brandon around then but they will ahve ferraro, mappin, and the whordes of other prospects in the "system".

dodywood4ever
11-24-2006, 02:48 PM
With the expansion of our rink it would be foolish not to let Swifty hold it. ;) Except our airport runway is now a drag race track.

Spungy
11-24-2006, 03:06 PM
i don't see why some of the smaller centers couldn't hold the cup. Kelowna did an awesome job of it and the closest big airport was Vancouver, over four hours away.

I would love to see a town like Swifty get the cup once they get their new building. I understand you have to be able to seat a certain amount of people to be a contender.

that fact puts Kootenay out of the running for now.
Along with the Airport expansion that is taking place now, in a few years i can see posibilities

wango tango
11-24-2006, 04:36 PM
drawbacks to each bid.

the profit guarantee makes holding the memorial cup in venues of less than 8,000 a financially precarious proposition. (red deer)

the chl doesn't want teams mortgaging their future to load up a team to host the memorial cup. (edmonton)

the chl will not share facilities for their premiere event. (edmonton, calgary)

positives to each bid.

$$$$$$. (calgary, edmonton, saskatoon)

potential for a solid team (calgary, saskatoon, red deer)

if red deer can increase capacity from the current 6,735 to over 8,000 i would make them the early favourite to get the 2010 memorial cup. if the enmax centrium is not expandable, then saskatoon would become the favourite. and both of those would get blown out of the water if calgary could guarantee the saddledome.

1a - red deer (depending on building renovation)
1b - saskatoon (the fan support thing is a red herring)
3 - calgary (building guarantee would make them #1)
4 - edmonton (how good, how fast can the oil kings be? building guarantee. lots against this one.)

transplantedbronco
11-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Hey Spungy. Kelowna has a major airport. With 1,000,000 + passengers last year its the 11th busiest in the country. :)

rinkrat
11-24-2006, 05:52 PM
allowing vancouver to host without a bid didnt already do it.

Toigo put in a bid.It was the other teams that didn't.
You can forget Calgary or Edmonton hosting as they can't guarantee building availability.
I would like to see Everett host the cup.They have a great rink,major airport nearby,fan base of three WHL teams nearby.Lots of major hotels close by.Also there is alot of civic pride in Everett,they would be second to none in the way they would host it.
Also if Spokane could host the cup,Everett could as well.If not better.The media exposure in the U.S. couldn't hurt either.

d-man
11-24-2006, 06:45 PM
I'd love to see it in a small market like Swift or Moose Jaw but $$$ talks

Don't count out Medicine Hat - well for 2013 - if the city ever moves on the new rink, theres money in the Hat that could see a 7000 seat rink

Tidball
11-24-2006, 10:46 PM
The John Labbat Centre (London Knights) hosted it. That building isnt too big.

OHLArenaGuide
11-25-2006, 11:16 AM
The John Labbat Centre (London Knights) hosted it. That building isnt too big.

Dude, it's the second-biggest arena in the OHL.

eecliff
11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
i don't see why some of the smaller centers couldn't hold the cup. Kelowna did an awesome job of it and the closest big airport was Vancouver, over four hours away.

Kelowna has the 10th busiest airport by passenger traffic in Canada and has direct flights to every major city in Canada.

I don’t see how the Vancouver airport had anything to do with the Memorial Cup in Kelowna ?

But anyways, I would like to see the 2010 MC go to Saskatoon or Regina :)

ee.....

hockey4
11-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Toigo put in a bid.It was the other teams that didn't.
You can forget Calgary or Edmonton hosting as they can't guarantee building availability.
I would like to see Everett host the cup.They have a great rink,major airport nearby,fan base of three WHL teams nearby.Lots of major hotels close by.Also there is alot of civic pride in Everett,they would be second to none in the way they would host it.
Also if Spokane could host the cup,Everett could as well.If not better.The media exposure in the U.S. couldn't hurt either.

The only money vancouver spent on a bid was the press release paper used to fax to the other teams saying theres no point bidding weve already written a check for x$$ which will guarantee the bid win. what would eb the point of anyone bidding when Toigo pulled out his checkbook and wrote the WHL what they wanted

rinkrat
11-26-2006, 02:48 PM
The only money vancouver spent on a bid was the press release paper used to fax to the other teams saying theres no point bidding weve already written a check for x$$ which will guarantee the bid win. what would eb the point of anyone bidding when Toigo pulled out his checkbook and wrote the WHL what they wanted

You sure sound bitter,maybe you could come to Vancouver for the tourney.We'll be great hosts. :D

hockey4
11-26-2006, 04:47 PM
You sure sound bitter,maybe you could come to Vancouver for the tourney.We'll be great hosts. :D

I think i speak for most fans and management of EVERY team in this league that they were soemwhat upset as to the process for which vancouver was rewarded the tourney. Theres something called community pride that many in western canada feel feeds the memorial cup. I see very little community pride around the event in vancouver. i mean, does even half of vancouver know they are hosting the tournament. Just like the world juniors, from all accounts, there was little evidence the thing was even occuring aside from the street banners on granville.

RunTheGoalie
11-26-2006, 06:20 PM
who does everyone think will host. my breakdown with positive/negative:

calgary: + big building, more money, good fan base
- can guarantee building becasue the flames could still be playing (can hold 2 games in one day and CHL would not be able to display sponsors).

Calgary *should* be hosting it this year, except the Flames chose not to bid because of the concerns about building availability. Frankly, I think this is a bit of a joke, as they could easily accomodate scheduling for both a Flames playoff run and the Memorial Cup. It would take some work, but is doable. The biggest hurdle for Calgary is the ownership, I'm sad to say.

Also, the CHL would have absolutely no problem displaying sponsors. The ads around the boards in the Dome are designed to tear away, as the Flames, Hitmen and Roughnecks all have their own sponsors. Changing the ads is not difficult at all. On ice ads would be an issue, but that would be accepted by the CHL as part of granting Calgary as the host.

The team that I might add to that list is Edmonton.

Frankly, no. Edmonton has to pay its dues before it deserves a shot.

The profit guarantee is one of the more ridiculous things the CHL has ever done. By forcing the tournament into the larger arenas, the league has eliminated all but about 12 of the CHL's 58 teams as potential hosts. Greed has overtaken what junior hockey is supposed to be.

rinkrat
11-26-2006, 06:48 PM
Just like the world juniors, from all accounts, there was little evidence the thing was even occuring aside from the street banners on granville.

You mean the World Junior tournament that set an ATTENDANCE RECORD?
Over 325,000 people.
Get over your envy,and I hope you come to town for the MC.Vancouver is a great place to be in May. ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2006/01/31/worldjunior060131.html

The_Vulk
11-26-2006, 09:24 PM
If the NHL Calgary Flames deside to build a new arena rather than rennovate the Saddledome, and if it is completed in time, the WHL Calgary Hitmen could then use the Saddledome for the Memorial Cup Tournament if need be.

peatfan
11-27-2006, 02:42 AM
Calgary can easily host the Cup. If the Flames are still playing there will only be 2 days with 2 games at the most. First case is on a Sat. and Tues, so the juniors could play at noon and everything will be okay for the Flames at 7. (could be reversed for Sat depending on the NHL TV). the other case the only day it might happen is a tie-breaker day, so another incentive for the teams to finish first. And with the NHL so close there is no gaurantee that the Flames will make it that far.
nhl :( nhl nhl nhl nhl nhl

Wildeyes
11-27-2006, 04:48 AM
bring the mem cup to prince albert show the country that small markets can have this too

transplantedbronco
11-27-2006, 08:05 AM
Well said Wildeyes. I know it will never come to Swift Current, but small markets is what keeps this league going. Giving to big markets that just came into the league makes no sense to me. They should have put their time in first.

RunTheGoalie
11-27-2006, 10:51 AM
If the NHL Calgary Flames deside to build a new arena rather than rennovate the Saddledome, and if it is completed in time, the WHL Calgary Hitmen could then use the Saddledome for the Memorial Cup Tournament if need be.

Would never happen.

The second the Flames build a new arena, they will wash their hands of the Dome, as it will become an albatross. They will bring the Hitmen with them into the new arena, and will want the Memorial Cup in there too. I would expect the Saddledome would be torn down, as two NHL sized arenas in a city of 1 million is a bit excessive.

Not to mention that a new arena is still 8-10 years away.

hockey4
11-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Calgary can easily host the Cup. If the Flames are still playing there will only be 2 days with 2 games at the most. First case is on a Sat. and Tues, so the juniors could play at noon and everything will be okay for the Flames at 7. (could be reversed for Sat depending on the NHL TV). the other case the only day it might happen is a tie-breaker day, so another incentive for the teams to finish first. And with the NHL so close there is no gaurantee that the Flames will make it that far.
nhl :( nhl nhl nhl nhl nhl

The CHL would not go for it. Sponsors cant have their signage in the ice #1. Plus im sure the NHL has regulations as to how long they need the building empty from other events (my guess is the previous night). There would be way to much conversion(media setup, suites and catering, TRAFFIC, dressing rooms, board advertising). If the flames are still playing, and they will have to bid as if they will, the the second round of playoffs brings that much more demand to the facility. There is no way they could accomodate both.

hockey4
11-28-2006, 12:04 AM
You mean the World Junior tournament that set an ATTENDANCE RECORD?
Over 325,000 people.
Get over your envy,and I hope you come to town for the MC.Vancouver is a great place to be in May. ;)

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2006/01/31/worldjunior060131.html

I had buddies that were there and said u walked down any street, and you would ahve no clue there was a world junior tourney going on. All im saying is that vancouver lacks that "small town feel" that i think memorial cup hosts should have, a situation where the whole community is behind, supportive, and anticipating the event.

Blades 4 Life!
11-29-2006, 12:45 AM
I think a Eastern conference team should host it. It's been west for some years and some eastern conference arenas are big like Calgary, Edmonton and Saskatoon.

I belive that saskatoon is the best place to have it becasue it is a guaranteed because if the Calgary Flames or the Edmonton Oilers are in the playoffs, they will need the rink unless you modify the scheduler around the Flames schedule. Saskatoon is a guaranteed though. Thats IMO!

HAF
11-29-2006, 01:34 AM
How big is the barn in Brandon?

hockey4
11-29-2006, 01:37 AM
I think a Eastern conference team should host it. It's been west for some years and some eastern conference arenas are big like Calgary, Edmonton and Saskatoon.

I belive that saskatoon is the best place to have it becasue it is a guaranteed because if the Calgary Flames or the Edmonton Oilers are in the playoffs, they will need the rink unless you modify the scheduler around the Flames schedule. Saskatoon is a guaranteed though. Thats IMO!

And im sure if the economy was decent and fan support was solid it would be yours. Im thinking its gonna be a tough sell to the BOG when they see Saskatoons att continuly under 4000 (except pa and regina) or less with a city of 200 000. It dont look good for the 'toon. Red deer in 2010!!!

nivek_wahs
11-29-2006, 01:43 AM
How big is the barn in Brandon?According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Centre it holds 5,000 people.

HAF
11-29-2006, 01:58 AM
According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystone_Centre it holds 5,000 people.

smaller than I was thinking for some reason. I guess they could have it in Winnepeg though couldnt they?

nivek_wahs
11-29-2006, 02:08 AM
smaller than I was thinking for some reason. I guess they could have it in Winnepeg though couldnt they?They probably could have the Memorial Cup at the MTS Centre in Winnipeg... As long as the Moose don't have any games at the time (highly unlikely). The rink holds just over 15,000 for hockey games (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTS_Centre). I have never been there but I have heard the rink is amazing and has a great atmosphere.

rinkrat
11-29-2006, 09:13 AM
I see very little community pride around the event in vancouver. i mean, does even half of vancouver know they are hosting the tournament. Just like the world juniors, from all accounts, there was little evidence the thing was even occuring aside from the street banners on granville.

Nice comments from someone who hasn't even been here(Vancouver),and wasn't here during the WJC. :spineyes:
What does bashing Vancouver have to do with the 2010 MC anyway?
I still say Everett would be great hosts. :thumb:

Highlander_Yank
11-29-2006, 01:20 PM
I still say Everett would be great hosts. :thumb:

<<blush>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but would the EEC be big enough?

wango tango
11-30-2006, 12:59 PM
And im sure if the economy was decent and fan support was solid it would be yours. Im thinking its gonna be a tough sell to the BOG when they see Saskatoons att continuly under 4000 (except pa and regina) or less with a city of 200 000. It dont look good for the 'toon. Red deer in 2010!!!

economy isn't considered by the bog, chl, or hockey canada for any prospective city. that is for the host committees to consider when they think about bidding or not in the first place.

regular season attendance also has little, if anything, to do with a bid in any prospective city. big event $$$ talks.

red deer and saskatoon would both lose hands down if calgary or edmonton decided to bid on the event.

red deers biggest obstacle will probably be building size, and if renovations can occur to increase capacity by 3,000+ then they have a solid chance of landing the memorial cup. next biggest obstacle profit guarantee.

maple leaf
11-30-2006, 06:02 PM

Just recently Saskatoon hosted the Vanier Cup (college football highest level in Canada ). First time ever it was hosted out west. Toronto has had it for year's. Their average attendance for the Vanier over the year's in Toronto was about 13 000-15 000 fan's. In Saskatoon last week 13 000 fan's watched the game outside and another 5000 I believe watched from the field house. Toronto's pop. 6-7 million Saskatoon's pop 220 000. So your argument doesn't wash.

hockey4
11-30-2006, 08:21 PM
economy isn't considered by the bog, chl, or hockey canada for any prospective city. that is for the host committees to consider when they think about bidding or not in the first place.

regular season attendance also has little, if anything, to do with a bid in any prospective city. big event $$$ talks.

red deer and saskatoon would both lose hands down if calgary or edmonton decided to bid on the event.

red deers biggest obstacle will probably be building size, and if renovations can occur to increase capacity by 3,000+ then they have a solid chance of landing the memorial cup. next biggest obstacle profit guarantee.

I can guarantee you that if red deer and saskatoon were bidding head to head, with red deers average at over 6000, saskatoon holding steady at 3900, red deer would win. There are more oil companies in red deer than you could list on two pages of the phone book. oil companies = money, not so much agriculture money. Even if red deer didnt "expand" the building, they could add temporary bleachers to bring it up to 6800, which is equal to moncton and more than kelowna. The BOG know they will get outstanding crowds for EVERY game, whereas there is no guarantee in saskatoon.And calgary has bid edleast twice from what ive heard, and lost.

hockey4
11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Just recently Saskatoon hosted the Vanier Cup (college football highest level in Canada ). First time ever it was hosted out west. Toronto has had it for year's. Their average attendance for the Vanier over the year's in Toronto was about 13 000-15 000 fan's. In Saskatoon last week 13 000 fan's watched the game outside and another 5000 I believe watched from the field house. Toronto's pop. 6-7 million Saskatoon's pop 220 000. So your argument doesn't wash.

Your talking about a one game, one day event here that was witnessed by 3/4 university students. In toronto it was never hosted by a university, it was solely a neutral site game. Had saskatchewan not been in it, there may have been 5000 there, maybe.

wango tango
11-30-2006, 09:40 PM
I can guarantee you that if red deer and saskatoon were bidding head to head, with red deers average at over 6000, saskatoon holding steady at 3900, red deer would win.

you can guarantee that can you? you have all the proxy's for everyone else's vote? best wait to see who bids before guaranteeing a red deer bid is successful.

There are more oil companies in red deer than you could list on two pages of the phone book. oil companies = money, not so much agriculture money.

since when did the rebels become the oil patches charity of choice? i've got a feeling they'd be lining up behind a calgary or edmonton bid sooner than red deer.

Even if red deer didnt "expand" the building, they could add temporary bleachers to bring it up to 6800, which is equal to moncton and more than kelowna. The BOG know they will get outstanding crowds for EVERY game, whereas there is no guarantee in saskatoon.And calgary has bid edleast twice from what ive heard, and lost.

saskatoon, edmonton, and calgary have all drawn bigger crowds for hockey events from stanley cup playoffs, to the memorial cup, to world junior championships. this means with all things being equal they would be able to produce a higher profit guarantee.

hockey4
12-01-2006, 01:24 AM
you can guarantee that can you? you have all the proxy's for everyone else's vote? best wait to see who bids before guaranteeing a red deer bid is successful.

since when did the rebels become the oil patches charity of choice? i've got a feeling they'd be lining up behind a calgary or edmonton bid sooner than red deer.

saskatoon, edmonton, and calgary have all drawn bigger crowds for hockey events from stanley cup playoffs, to the memorial cup, to world junior championships. this means with all things being equal they would be able to produce a higher profit guarantee.

Im not sure why u cant understand the fact that edmonton and calgary CAN NOT host becasue they can not guarantee their building. Im not even considering them in the running. Calgary has bid twice and lost, if it was viable they would have won one of those bids because yes they can guarantee more money, but they have no building

YEs, Saskatoon has hosted before, chalk one more up for red deer. You cant judge saskatoons support of the BLades TODAY by how good they drew to the World Juniors in 1993 or the mem cup in 1989. Teams like red deer, med hat, kelowna, kamloops support their teams all year and they are the teams that are worthy of hosting. I would like to think every team would draw well for the mem cup, but judging by saskatoons attendance numbers, they can not guarantee that. Team management take notice when they walk into sask place and see 3500 on any given night.

Coyote14
12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
I think an eastern conference team that has never hosted the Cup before should be given the opportunity to.

This would leave out:
Calgary (1974)
Regina/Brandon (1980)
Saskatoon (1989)
Regina (2001)

I see a lot of people talking about Regina, Saskatoon and Red Deer, but I don't think overall attendance should play such a large factor in the decision. The way the city/town presents it and takes it is what I like. If half the city doesn't even know or care that it is going on, then it's not worth having in the city. Give it to a small town that can really show that they are passionate about their hockey team.

wango tango
12-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Im not sure why u cant understand the fact that edmonton and calgary CAN NOT host becasue they can not guarantee their building. Im not even considering them in the running. Calgary has bid twice and lost, if it was viable they would have won one of those bids because yes they can guarantee more money, but they have no building

i know calgary and edmonton have bid for world juniors, i have no knowledge of them bidding for the memorial cup. i do know the staffs for both the flames and oilers are creative groups and if they can find a way to host an event like the memorial cup, they'll bid for it.

YEs, Saskatoon has hosted before, chalk one more up for red deer. You cant judge saskatoons support of the BLades TODAY by how good they drew to the World Juniors in 1993 or the mem cup in 1989. Teams like red deer, med hat, kelowna, kamloops support their teams all year and they are the teams that are worthy of hosting. I would like to think every team would draw well for the mem cup, but judging by saskatoons attendance numbers, they can not guarantee that. Team management take notice when they walk into sask place and see 3500 on any given night.

portland and most recently regina have hosted the memorial cup twice in the whl. hosting previously does not exclude a city from hosting again. and as i stated before regular season attendance means little, if anything, when a host is considered. and previous big event hosting experience is an asset and if red deer does bid for the memorial cup i'm sure they'll be drawing on their experience as excellent world junior championships host.

OHLArenaGuide
12-01-2006, 03:40 PM
portland and most recently regina have hosted the memorial cup twice in the whl. hosting previously does not exclude a city from hosting again. and as i stated before regular season attendance means little, if anything, when a host is considered. and previous big event hosting experience is an asset and if red deer does bid for the memorial cup i'm sure they'll be drawing on their experience as excellent world junior championships host.

Portland hosted twice, in 1983 and in 1986. The 1986 time was ONLY done because New West ducked out of hosting duties because they weren't able to get hotel space to host alongside Expo '86. Portland was a "temporary" host that was only done as a last minute emergency thing. As for Regina, any team that hosted before 1982 shouldn't really count because 1983 was the first year of a "host team". That's why they got it again in 2001, because the Pats weren't guaranteed a spot in 1980whatever.

Saskatoon had it already in 1989 and I can't imagine the league will be in a hurry to go back when there are many deserving markets waiting in the wings that have a big enough building, fan support, and have never hosted.

Red Deer would be a great choice in my opinion and it would illustrate a committment on the league's behalf to keep the Cup accessible to smaller centres.

wango tango
12-01-2006, 03:51 PM
Red Deer would be a great choice in my opinion and it would illustrate a committment on the league's behalf to keep the Cup accessible to smaller centres.

agreed red deer would be an excellent host and do a wonderful job just as they did with the world junior championships.

history has shown hockey canada, the chl, and whl are less concerned with the small markets than they are with $$$ under the guise of a strong 'business plan'.

d-man
12-01-2006, 07:54 PM
As for Regina, any team that hosted before 1982 shouldn't really count because 1983 was the first year of a "host team".

So why not go back to the pre-83 era and hold the tournament in the most profitable market and make the 4 teams earn their way in instead of the host team automatically making it. I assume the host team was introduced to spark local interest and sell out the games. Today I don't think that's a problem with the tournament. No knock on host teams they have been extremely competitive and deserving of their spot in recent years. My point is small market teams have that one extra shot of being in the tournament - every three years.

OHLArenaGuide
12-04-2006, 12:03 PM
So why not go back to the pre-83 era and hold the tournament in the most profitable market and make the 4 teams earn their way in instead of the host team automatically making it. I assume the host team was introduced to spark local interest and sell out the games. Today I don't think that's a problem with the tournament. No knock on host teams they have been extremely competitive and deserving of their spot in recent years. My point is small market teams have that one extra shot of being in the tournament - every three years.

It's a valid debate, but I don't think there's necessarily enough interest to sell out a tournament. Sure, in top junior hockey markets you'd be fine, but I know that even in recent Cups you've been able to get tickets on the street for below face value to games where the host isn't playing. In London any game featuring London or Crosby was sold out, but lots of tickets were available to the 67's-Rockets game if you wanted them. In Moncton last year you could get tickets to any game not involving the Wildcats.

I like the system as it is, and if there's one thing that will keep the Memorial Cup from migrating only to the big cities, it's the host system. They can't keep going back to Vancouver every few years because 21 other WHL owners would never stand for allowing the Giants to keep having kicks at the can. Just because a small town like Swift with a tiny, old arena can't host now doesn't mean that Red Deer, Lethbridge, Brandon or Prince George can't.

wango tango
12-04-2006, 05:38 PM
I like the system as it is, and if there's one thing that will keep the Memorial Cup from migrating only to the big cities, it's the host system. They can't keep going back to Vancouver every few years because 21 other WHL owners would never stand for allowing the Giants to keep having kicks at the can. Just because a small town like Swift with a tiny, old arena can't host now doesn't mean that Red Deer, Lethbridge, Brandon or Prince George can't.

i hope you are right o.a.g. my fear is the memorial cup, like the wjhc, is being priced out of a lot of cities.

N.W. Bruin
12-17-2006, 01:32 AM
Cause only the teams will have to come in. They can fly somewhere close and bus for a few hours. The out of town fans will not be required as was in the case of Kelowna only their own fans got into the rink. Very few other fans got to attend. The season base for Kelowna covered it. Medicine Hat if they get a new rink of say 7,000 could host a Memorial Cup but that is the same situation with no other fans being able to attend. Same with Red Deer. They virtually sell out to their own fans so the season ticket base will use the Memorial Cup tickets in its entirely.

That said it likely will go to either Red Deer and Calgary since Alberta has hosted only one Memorial Cup in the past.

hockey4
02-07-2007, 08:03 PM
Just a rumor tidbit from the grapevine. There was a rumor floating around at the last Rebels game, and i have no idea where it came from so whether it is credible or not (i think it has truth due to the rumor came from a guy who does business with a local engineering firm), and there are in fact serious plans to finish off one end of the centrium. I dont know many details, other then there will not be a ton of actual seats added, and that they could be looking at mostly suites, and he was fairly sure they werent going on the concourse.

Now just looking at that end of the centrium, the only way i can see that working would be to only add like 6 rows in front (not sure how mnay seats, maybe 400) and then have the suites on top. It will be interesting to see what and when this happens, and im gonna pick my buddies ear for some more info.

Bottom line is that would be the cherry on top for a rebels mem cup bid, adding 400 seats for more fans, and more suites for the corporate crowd. They just better get a video clock soon, im getting tired of the lightbright at centre ice that is impossible to see

Triton
02-08-2007, 06:35 PM
Bring it to Brandon!

d-man
02-08-2007, 06:57 PM
Sutter alone ensures it goes to RD

hockey4
02-08-2007, 09:49 PM
well in fairness to sutter evereything he does in red deer seems to be turned into a positive. They had a terrible year last year, and i think there drawing better crowds this year. so yah id say he deserves it

TC Autograph Guy
02-08-2007, 10:33 PM
Everett would be great. I also agree with people here saying Red Deer would be good. Also don't forget Seattle most likely will have a new rink by then, a medium sized one (so size might be an issue, also it will be in the suburbs away from anything remotely exciting).

hockey4
02-08-2007, 11:10 PM
It'll be interesting to see what the WHL's position will be on awarding a tourney to a team in the states. It would cost a fortune to do a weeklong broadcast of television, seeing that they would have to bring there stuff from toronto and then to pay everything in american dollars. Also, i have heard the argument before that the only hockey fans in the american cities are the ones at the games. There has never realy been a high demand for tickets for an american team in the last 10 years (not including semi's and finals). ANd my opinion was if i was to award it, i would go to Everett, but im not sure they will have an overly strong team.

nelson951
02-11-2007, 01:28 PM
I vote Everett. Guaranteed sell-out although the Tbirds Kent arena will be closer to SeaTac and many hotels

hockey4
02-11-2007, 07:05 PM
Just try maintaining a crowd above 5000 before you "guarantee" a sellout for the tournament. the only way it will sell out is if seattle was in it everett were to play them 4 times. When you've won the division 3 years in a row and still cant manage to consistently draw over 5000, you dont deserve it.

grainbear
02-11-2007, 08:32 PM
would love to see a joint bid

Lethbridge and Medicine Hat with the team finishing highest between the two cities getting the 4 th seed if they don,t win the leaque, other possiblilities would be Moose Jaw and Regina, Kamloops and Prince George, Or Seattle and Everett, Spokane and Kootenay (highest total points would be 4 th team ). Will never happen but we can always dream. The almighty dollar will always rule because of the portion of funds that must go to Hockey Canada. It seems like only Hockey Night in Canada recognizes grass routes not the owners looking for that extra 3000 or more dollars they get towards their operating budgets.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
02-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I vote Everett. Guaranteed sell-out although the Tbirds Kent arena will be closer to SeaTac and many hotels

Looking for a guaranteed sell-out? Vote Swift Current. :thumb:

nelson951
02-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Just try maintaining a crowd above 5000 before you "guarantee" a sellout for the tournament. the only way it will sell out is if seattle was in it everett were to play them 4 times. When you've won the division 3 years in a row and still cant manage to consistently draw over 5000, you dont deserve it.

*** u talking about. Like the WJC Everett would sell-out in advance. Not Seattle, I said Everett(I hate them but they would do a superb job)

hockey4
02-13-2007, 10:25 PM
*** u talking about. Like the WJC Everett would sell-out in advance. Not Seattle, I said Everett(I hate them but they would do a superb job)

No i meant everett. My numbers were off. the only time everett gets above 5300 is against seattle, portland, and spokane, and maybe vancouver. To guarantee they would sell out is a stretch to me. Red Deer would sell it out, Kelowna did, Kamloops would, Regina did, all because they draw crowds close to there capacity if not over. 8500 seats to me is a TON in a non-hockey market. Hockey fans go to the Mem. Cup, not the casual fan, and im not convinced there is even 5000 hockey fans in Everett.

Rooselk
02-15-2007, 07:02 PM
<<blush>>

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but would the EEC be big enough?

Since the EEC holds over 8,000 I think it would be plenty big enough. Also, by then the Thunderbirds could be contenders to host the Memorial Cup since they will probably have a new facility in Kent holding around 6,500.