PDA

View Full Version : Worth the 'Price' of admission

nivek_wahs
11-24-2006, 12:23 PM
Found on sportsnet.ca http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/article.jsp?content=20061124_101628_4388

Worth the 'Price' of admission
November 24, 2006

By Patrick King, Sportsnet.ca

Carey Price earned a reputation as one of the most competitive goaltenders in the Western Hockey League, but even his Tri-City head coach was quick to point out Price brought it to another level this season.

After attending his second training camp with the Montreal Canadiens, the team that drafted him fifth overall in the 2005 National Hockey League Entry Draft, Price returned to the WHL looking to frustrate the opposition.

"He was so competitive; he never gave up on any puck," head coach Don Nachbaur said. "He challenges our guys to score on him in practice, which in turn, makes them better players.

"I think it tells you the game was so slow to him coming back to junior at the beginning of the season that he just made everyone look foolish."

Price suited up in four pre-season games over the two training camps in Montreal. The experience was invaluable for the young goaltender as it helped him gain confidence heading into the season. However, the experience didn't change his mindset.

"Going through it last year, I knew how the transition would be coming back," Price said. "It's a little bit slower but you can't come back thinking it's easier because it's not."

Now in his fourth season in the WHL, Price exchanged an NHL Canadiens jersey for a WHL Americans jersey and will be looking to don a Canadiens jersey of another kind in the near future. Price will be representing Team WHL in the ADT Canada-Russia Challenge on Nov. 29 and Nov. 30. The series, which can be seen on Rogers Sportsnet, is often viewed as a stepping stone to represent Team Canada at the Under-20 World Junior Championship.

Hockey Canada will announce their selection camp roster on Dec. 4 with the camp taking place in Calgary, Alta. from Dec. 10 to Dec. 15.

Price was one of five goaltenders who attended Hockey Canada's Summer Evaluation Camp for the Under-20 roster. In addition, Price was one of the final cuts from last year's team and is using that experience as motivation in his final crack at making the world junior team.

"It was disappointing (being cut from last year's team) but you use it as motivation," he said. "You take the worse and use it to your advantage."

"I think what separates Carey from a lot of kids is this isn't his first trip and this isn't his first pressure situation," Nachbaur said. "He's 19-years-old and people are expecting him to do well. I don't think he's going to fail."

Nachbaur said he thinks the goaltenders will be chosen based on which goaltender will give the team the confidence to win the gold medal and which goaltender will be a strong backup to the starter. Instilling confidence in teammates isn't new to Price who has done so for his teammates in Tri-City since he was a 16-year-old.

"When Carey's in there, the attitude of the team is that you're going to have to beat us," Nachbaur said. "Carey instills that in our team and when he's in net we feel we have a chance to win every game and that's what you want in your goaltender."

Another element which Price brings is strong puckhandling ability. Fans in Tri-City are used to seeing their goaltender clear the puck out of the defensive zone while the team is serving a penalty. With the wide open International style, Price's puckhandling abilities can only benefit him.

"It sure helps out your defence in clutch situations any time you have another stick back there making plays," Nachbaur said.

One of the most important aspects of the world junior camp, Nachbaur said, is how a player is playing heading into the camp. Price is among the league leaders in most goaltending statistical categories.

"I think he's going to put up a good fight to make the team and we know there are some pretty good goaltenders vying for the same spot," Nachbaur said.

Although Price was drafted the highest among the five goaltenders who attended Hockey Canada's Summer Evaluation Camp, Price said the draft stock won't mean anything when the team is assembled.

"It will come down to who's playing the best at that particular time," he said. "All the draft represents is a number."

When asked what might get in his way from becoming a solid goaltender in the NHL, Nachbaur said he couldn't see anything holding Price back.

"He's got a great work ethic, he's technically sound, he's a big kid, he's an athlete and he thinks the game real well," Nachbaur said. "You don't want to say he's a 'can't miss,' but he's the next best thing. He has the potential to play in the NHL because he has all the assets."

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
11-25-2006, 03:08 PM
I have to agree with that. The numbers don't show it but in my mind, Carey Price is the best goalie in the WHL right now, I want to see him for once at the world juniors. Since theres not that much of a choice of tenders out there.