PDA

View Full Version : Where was the REf and Benke

3wheeler
11-25-2006, 10:47 PM
To start with where was Pat Smith when the game started??????.
But better yet why did he not stay lost??????

Why is Benke not dressing???
I think we could use his size, and don't give that crap about him not being a great skater as there are flaws with eveyone of us.
We could use his toughness as some of D-men do not like a physical game!!!!!!

ointhecreek
11-26-2006, 12:26 AM
I believe Smith stayed out of it. He only called a couple of penalties to Mercers7 or 8. I agree with you about Benke though. The only time he plays is when someone is hurt. The way Postma's been playing he should be sitting out a game or two.

3wheeler
11-26-2006, 12:30 AM
I don't recall Smith being on the ice for the 1st period....

ointhecreek
11-26-2006, 09:58 AM
I don't recall Smith being on the ice for the 1st period....
He wasn't, but he hardly called a penalty in the final 2.

dynamitekid
11-26-2006, 09:49 PM
Apparently wonder coach does not think we need to follow the norm!! Why would he want to be like other teams in this league. Why would you play a 6'5" defence man? And do not give me that crap about he can not skate or not get the job done. Benke led our team last year in +/- so i guess he can get the job done! He was +4 the rest of our defence was -103!!!!!!!!! And if if you think it is his skating check out our beloved Captain's skating. Go watch practice once and see who is the hardest worker....#3. It is such a shame that a kid like this gets a raw deal here because he is not on of the coach's favorites. Mabey if Deano had traded for him he would get to play all the time, and mistakes not questioned and have every chance to suceed!!!!!!
Have any of you talked to any fans that say he should not be playing? I doubt it. Lets hope that Mr. Benke gets traded some where that he is appreciated and comes back here and rub it in emotionaless Deano's face.
Only 20 more games of watching this pathetic excuse for a coach wreck our good youg players!!!!!

Big Ern
11-26-2006, 09:54 PM
C'mon, give it a rest! He answered in perfect clarity at last night's hotstove what he's doing with Benke....you can only dress so many players. If he feels Carl hasn't been up to snuff, so be it! HE IS, after all, THE GM!!!

ointhecreek
11-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Apparently wonder coach does not think we need to follow the norm!! Why would he want to be like other teams in this league. Why would you play a 6'5" defence man? And do not give me that crap about he can not skate or not get the job done. Benke led our team last year in +/- so i guess he can get the job done! He was +4 the rest of our defence was -103!!!!!!!!! And if if you think it is his skating check out our beloved Captain's skating. Go watch practice once and see who is the hardest worker....#3. It is such a shame that a kid like this gets a raw deal here because he is not on of the coach's favorites. Mabey if Deano had traded for him he would get to play all the time, and mistakes not questioned and have every chance to suceed!!!!!!
Have any of you talked to any fans that say he should not be playing? I doubt it. Lets hope that Mr. Benke gets traded some where that he is appreciated and comes back here and rub it in emotionaless Deano's face.
Only 20 more games of watching this pathetic excuse for a coach wreck our good youg players!!!!!
Calm down! I'd like to see more of Benke myself but I'm sure there's a good reason. I just wish Dean would sit some of the other guys that don't seem to think out there once in a while. BUT, I'm not gonna freak out over it. Lord, you'd think you were his mom!

Toswammi
11-27-2006, 05:38 PM
This question was answered perfectly at the hot stove (which is reviewed on Keens Korner). The reason Benke isnt playing is he is the 8th best defenseman. Rummer and Crowley are undisputed top two. Then there is 2 19 yr old vets that know how to get it done, then 2 17yr olds that have caught the eyes of the NHL, and another 17 that has been solid. Plain and simple. Benke lacks hockey knowledge, is the slowest player (deadly if you are a defenceman), and is unsure with the puck. He would have a tough time consistantly cracking a lot of dub lineups. Again i will say this. Benke would be best served playing the enforcer on the Bronco 4th line as a winger.

double big gulp
11-27-2006, 10:01 PM
Benke maybe big and slow but, he does get the job done. He sure can't be any worse than Rakos on the power play. I think they should play Benke and sit Rakos.

Link Dog
11-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Rakos shouldn't be on the point on the powerplay. He should play down low or plant himself in front of the net and bang in the garbage. He doesn't have a goal from outside 25 feet this year. Our passing is not good enough to make three perfect passes to set up an open net shot. Keep it simple and throw the puck on net with wristers and bang it in. Who cares if it is not pretty, we need to score more on the PP.

hockeycoach
11-28-2006, 09:22 PM
Heard today that Benke is being reassinged

Willis on the Welfare
11-29-2006, 08:24 AM
How will the organization be able to function without him???

DEAN NEVER GAVE HIM A CHANCE!!! HE'S TALL AND HE FOUGHT IN PRE-SEASON GAMES!!! SURELY THAT'S ENOUGH TO WARRANT A REGULAR SPOT IN THE LINE-UP!!! IN 51 GAMES LAST YEAR HE HAD TWO ASSISTS! SURELY ONE CAN SPOT THE POTENTIAL OFFENSIVE UPSIDE!!!

PUT HIM ON THE POINT ON THE POWER-PLAY!!!

AT LEAST HAVE HIM PLAY FORWARD!!! WHY IN THE HELL WOULD WE EVER WANT TO DEVELOPE TASSONE, TOULMIN AND GERVAIS WHEN WE COULD PLAY HIMUP FRONT???

C'MON BENKE FANS, WE CAN'T BE SILENT ON THIS ONE!! BEFORE WE SIMPLY RE-ASSIGN HIM THERE MUST BE A GM IN THE LEAGUE WHO WOULD BE WILLING TO PART WITH A 40 GOAL MAN FOR HIM.

BENKE, STIELER, RAKOS AND MOIR TO RED DEER FOR HANZAL, THE SUTTERS AND STARKOV!!!

SectionNDeserter
11-29-2006, 09:20 AM
BENKE, STIELER, RAKOS AND MOIR TO RED DEER FOR HANZAL, THE SUTTERS AND STARKOV!!!No deal, unless you toss in Molle too!! haha

Big Ern
11-29-2006, 10:08 AM
BENKE, STIELER, RAKOS AND MOIR TO RED DEER FOR HANZAL, THE SUTTERS AND STARKOV!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL HA! HA! HA! HA! HAhahahahaha!!
SORRY Buddy! I hardly think so!

ointhecreek
11-29-2006, 10:12 AM
How will the organization be able to function without him???

DEAN NEVER GAVE HIM A CHANCE!!! HE'S TALL AND HE FOUGHT IN PRE-SEASON GAMES!!! SURELY THAT'S ENOUGH TO WARRANT A REGULAR SPOT IN THE LINE-UP!!! IN 51 GAMES LAST YEAR HE HAD TWO ASSISTS! SURELY ONE CAN SPOT THE POTENTIAL OFFENSIVE UPSIDE!!!

PUT HIM ON THE POINT ON THE POWER-PLAY!!!

AT LEAST HAVE HIM PLAY FORWARD!!! WHY IN THE HELL WOULD WE EVER WANT TO DEVELOPE TASSONE, TOULMIN AND GERVAIS WHEN WE COULD PLAY HIMUP FRONT???

C'MON BENKE FANS, WE CAN'T BE SILENT ON THIS ONE!! BEFORE WE SIMPLY RE-ASSIGN HIM THERE MUST BE A GM IN THE LEAGUE WHO WOULD BE WILLING TO PART WITH A 40 GOAL MAN FOR HIM.

I don't think there is any need for this kind of post, getting a bit belligerent. Starting to remind me of a certain multipersonality poster from Medicine Hat. To keep the forum civil, I will say no more on this.

Willis on the Welfare
11-29-2006, 10:30 AM
I find it funny that people question the coaches for not playing Benke. The only thing we should be complaining about is the power play. Benke may be tough but we already have RJ, Rumsey and even Zack Smith for role players.

If the Broncos could score 1-2 power play goals a game on a consistent basis they'd be running away with the East. I find it asinine that people criticize our coaches and seem to think adding a 6'6 tough guy (and taking time away from Postma and Claffey in the process) will improve our record.

Chill out O. Maybe I was a bit too facetious and I apologize, but this teams problems begin and end with the power play, not with who we're not giving ice time too.

ointhecreek
11-29-2006, 11:41 AM
Chill out O. Maybe I was a bit too facetious and I apologize, but this teams problems begin and end with the power play, not with who we're not giving ice time too.
I'll agree, that our power play sucks big time and HAS to improve. Postma has been giving the puck up way to much along with Rakos so why hasn't that changed? I can see Dean's reasons for sitting Benke, but he should play once in a while and I see no reason for belligerent posts because some people disagree with you. This isn't the white board or grey board.

Willis on the Welfare
11-29-2006, 12:49 PM
I was going more for sarcasm than belligerance...Sorry. My bad for writing something that can be taken the wrong way.

Big Ern
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
I find it asinine that people criticize our coaches and seem to think adding a 6'6 tough guy (and taking time away from Postma and Claffey in the process) will improve our record.

I could not agree more. There is more truth to the above than I've ever seen on this website! Thankyou, whoever posted it. You're supporting my views big time!

Chuckles
11-29-2006, 05:27 PM
I think postma should be on the point. That boy when shooting is only missing by inches.. and he is only what 17?? and he will be a great quarterback on the powerplay with years to come. So i've got no issues with him out there. I've never been a fan of the forward on the pp. Most D Men have freaking sick shots.. let em buck. I figure the post man will deleiver soon. I don't understand why everyone all over the kid. Hes 17 plays lots and for the most part from what i see don't make to mcuh for mistakes.. but ya know everyones under the looking glass when we ain't winning all the time. But hey.. I think our teams in good shape.. room for improvement i don't wanna be working on all cylinders this early.. Lets peak playoffs or just before. Thats my opinion.

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
11-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Benke's re-assignment must be official. I heard it on the radio this afternoon that he's been re-assigned to Fort Saskatchewan.

Hope he can the take the extra ice time he gets in Ft. Sask to improve on his skating skills, and become a more valuable member to the team upon his return.

2,5,andagame
11-29-2006, 06:59 PM
The Swift Current Broncos announced this morning that they have reassigned 18 year old defenseman Karl Benke to the Fort Saskatchewan Traders of the Alberta Junior Hokcey League.

The second year Bronco appeared in 12 of the Broncos first 28 games, recording 35 penalty minutes. Last season, the Edmonton native played 51 games with 2 assists and 113 minutes in penalties.

The Broncos roster now sits at 22 players, (2 Goaltenders, 7 Defensemen, and 13 forwards).

Next action for the Broncos is this Friday night as they travel to Moose Jaw to play the Warriors. Next Broncos home game is this Saturday when they host the Brandon Wheat Kings on Kurt’s KFC Teddy Bear Toss Night.

I sure hope the blueline can stay injury-free for awhile. He will be called back if required.

ointhecreek
11-29-2006, 09:36 PM
Well, I guess thats one way of stopping the fans from complaining about it. At least he'll get some playing time now.

Big Ern
11-29-2006, 10:55 PM
MY OPINION.....Sorry if you don't like it!!! :p

Certainly a reasonable move by Broncos' management to reassign Benke. I thought he looked very unsure of himself out there. Don't forget, he's 18 this year already, and maybe should have stepped it up in the games he did play this season.
Hopefully the "BENKE TALK" will die down now. Everybody should understand the move. They're simply developing two defenseman that were noticed by scouts, and are playing great. They're sending home a guy who...well.....hasn't really been a light-it-up guy with this team. And no doubt that Postma's probably missing the net more than he should. He did great at hitting the net in practice yesterday. But let me tell you!!!....when that howitzer DOES hit the net, I swear it'll beat the goalie three out of five times! GUARANTEED!! And he's only seventeen...we have yet to see the best of Paul Postma! And Darek Claffey...well....he's just an awesome defenseman in pretty much every way possible!
ANYONE DISAGREE??? PLEASE!!!! Fire back at me!!! I like to read responses!

Broncs in RD
11-30-2006, 08:44 PM
I agree Benke could have been one of the top heavyweights in this league if he were given the CHANCE. We all knew he would not put up big points or be the best skater, but either was Tidball and Rumsey doesn't put up huge numbers either, but everyone has a role on a team which are very valuable. I don't believe Benke was given a chance to reach his potential. Last year he had one of the best +/- on the team with limited ice time and this year was not given a fair shake. I would have liked to see him as a forward on the 4th line. Remeber Colton Orr 4th liner with the Broncos and now a heavyweight in the NHL oh ya he couldn't skate well either. Some of young talent that needs to be developed need more than 4th liner ice time.

ointhecreek
11-30-2006, 10:58 PM
I was beginning to think I was the only Benke supporter on this board. :wave: Every body says that we have to get the young guys more ice time. Well last time I looked Benke wasn't very old, where's his ice time to develop? He came to camp a much improved skater and gets less time then last year. I didn't expect him to play every game, but to play more against the slower crash bang teams. I don't care what the others say, we need a player like him but I hope he's at least getting more ice time now. nhl

Big Ern
11-30-2006, 11:25 PM
c'mon Bigern. Karl Benke could have been the next Matt Kassian and we discarded him like so much garbage. nhl Boogaard'd

Stay in school.

No we didn't discard him like garbage! When he did have a fight, he didn't really do that much.
Bottom line, all I'm saying is, Postma or Claffey ARE better d-men, and SERIOUSLY man, I'm not talking BS. I'm just telling you what I definitely saw myself, and I swear I spend half my life at the Centennial Civic Centre, if not more!
BENKE, even during practice, almost seemed to FALL OVER out there. Sure he's big, but was that worth keeping him? We have a very physical team. I DON'T WANT TO SAY THIS ABOUT HIM! DON'T GET ME WRONG! I DON'T WANT TO!! But if I saw it myself...and think that way...I mean...should I lie about it??!!??

Broncs in RD
11-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Bigern I am sure your not a lier, but that is only your opinion and I respect that. Do you remember Colton Orr the guy skated on his ankles, but he is in the show cause they gave him a chance he improved big time. We did not give him a chance he is only 18 and 51 games in the dub last year and 12 this year. You can't say he was given a chance. I am sad to see him go.

hockeycoach
12-01-2006, 03:54 AM
I have seen my fair amount of practises too and everyone has the rough one now and then, but the thing in Benke is that he always gave it his all, no matter if he was having a good or bad skate. Never seen a guy work so hard while being screwed around.

Big Ern
12-01-2006, 02:22 PM
Never seen a guy work so hard while being screwed around.

C'mon! When and how would he have been screwed around?
Hey, some guys try TOO HARD. Maybe that was the case with him...anyway, like I said, he isn't a guy that will ever bring fans to their feet, that's for sure....MY OPINION, of course.

Toswammi
12-01-2006, 04:41 PM
Umm Ern. Just a sidenote. No one is allowed to bring ppl in the stands to their feet. That would mean ppl behind the standing person wouldnt be able to see with out standing, and so on. Nope standing by your seat only causes more grumbling.

Big Ern
12-01-2006, 08:52 PM
Umm Ern. Just a sidenote. No one is allowed to bring ppl in the stands to their feet. That would mean ppl behind the standing person wouldnt be able to see with out standing, and so on. Nope standing by your seat only causes more grumbling.

OK, OK, I get the drift....you might wanna go and watch a game in Saskatoon though, if you like the fans to sit half-asleep. In the CUC, you can hear yourself think, and people never get out of their seats. Is that the kind of hockey atmosphere you like?? Good for you...sorry, I don't! I prefer a Moose Jaw Civic Centre style hockey, where you can never hear yourself BREATHE, much less think, where the fans are into it, and the noise gets the team going, and gets some numbers in the win column.

3wheeler
12-01-2006, 11:38 PM
Well now that Benke is gone when will Dean step down.
Cant make the PP work,puts Rakos on defense. Whats up with that. He has tried that for so long with no positive results.
He should be a politician.
Have you ever heard a straight answer form him? When questioned he answers but, do you think it is truthful. I don't.
Have you ever watched the bench and seen how little he talks to the players.
Then check out how much Hunch talks to the boys. When Dave takes over there seems to be better harmony amongst the players and the way they play.
I just cannot take any more of Dean Cheyonewth. He is so emotionless on the bench is this what we want in Swift Current?
He has to GO. Even his old man (Ed) wont have him as a coach.
What does that SAY!!!!!!

dodywood4ever
12-02-2006, 12:58 PM
The fact of the matter is that this is not a good hockey team. A couple of good individual players but not any real identity as a team. If we were still in the central we would be in last place fighting with a Lethbridge team that is heading in the right direction. Again we are near the bottom of the league in scoring goals and if it weren't for the goaltending we would be nearly winless. We lead the league in PIM's and but send our only legit heavy down? Where is this team heading? Anybody?

Toswammi
12-02-2006, 01:08 PM
OK, OK, I get the drift....you might wanna go and watch a game in Saskatoon though, if you like the fans to sit half-asleep. In the CUC, you can hear yourself think, and people never get out of their seats. Is that the kind of hockey atmosphere you like?? Good for you...sorry, I don't! I prefer a Moose Jaw Civic Centre style hockey, where you can never hear yourself BREATHE, much less think, where the fans are into it, and the noise gets the team going, and gets some numbers in the win column.
Oh i have seen games in the CUC too. Not exactly loud. But then again its always a half empty rink.

transplantedbronco
12-02-2006, 01:16 PM
As far as I can tell KARL BENKE was never giving a fair shot this year PERIOD. With limited ice time last year he still led the team in plus minus. And if you actually watched him on the ice was propably one the smartest d-men out their. He always knew where everyone on the ice was. And busted his ass. Then rules changed and they tell him to work on his skating. He does just that comes to camp leaner and quicker. How does he get repaid for actually working in the off season? He pretty much gets benced. absoulutley RIDICULOUS. Now I know we have great young dmen but why has Benke been the skapgoat? No one else has been punished like Karl. A few other players can float, take stupid penalties and play with NO HEART and coaches sat him game after game. Time to wake up Deano.

Big Ern
12-02-2006, 01:28 PM
Well now that Benke is gone when will Dean step down.
Cant make the PP work,puts Rakos on defense. Whats up with that. He has tried that for so long with no positive results.
He should be a politician.
Have you ever heard a straight answer form him? When questioned he answers but, do you think it is truthful. I don't.
Have you ever watched the bench and seen how little he talks to the players.
Then check out how much Hunch talks to the boys. When Dave takes over there seems to be better harmony amongst the players and the way they play.
I just cannot take any more of Dean Cheyonewth. He is so emotionless on the bench is this what we want in Swift Current?
He has to GO. Even his old man (Ed) wont have him as a coach.
What does that SAY!!!!!!

Have you ever talked to Dean "Cheyonewth" in person? Yes, it is a tough last name, but maybe you could check it out. LOL (JUST KIDDING)
Anyway, he is a very nice guy when you do talk to him in person, and is not nearly as emotionless as you might think. This is his style of coaching....let the players decide...don't interfere, cause it ticks some of them off when they're told they just did something wrong, and then they won't play at all!
For example, Dave Tippett, the head coach of the Dallas Stars, currently has the second highest winning percentage in the entire NHL. In three years in Dallas, he has had the team tops in their div. three consecutive years. When you watch him, HE TALKS EVEN LESS to the guys than Dean Chynoweth does to his players. No, I don't think we should jump at the coach that fast. We have a good coach. SUPPORT the team more, and be patient, is what we have to do.

Willis on the Welfare
12-02-2006, 01:59 PM
First off, who called Karl Benke a legit heavyweight? Which heavyweights has Benke scrapped with? Roman Psurny?

Don't say he didn't have a chance to prove himself. 70+ games in the dub. Of the hundreds that try out for each team that's more than most. If Benke was 6'1 he wouldn't have made it through training camp. Having players on your team because they're tall is passe.

Swift seems to have trouble putting a complete game together. Something always seems to falter whether it's the PP, PK goal scoring or goaltending. If this team could put together a full effort with everything firing we'll be fine.

Chuckles
12-02-2006, 02:38 PM
Have you ever talked to Dean "Cheyonewth" in person? Yes, it is a tough last name, but maybe you could check it out. LOL (JUST KIDDING)
Anyway, he is a very nice guy when you do talk to him in person, and is not nearly as emotionless as you might think. This is his style of coaching....let the players decide...don't interfere, cause it ticks some of them off when they're told they just did something wrong, and then they won't play at all!
For example, Dave Tippett, the head coach of the Dallas Stars, currently has the second highest winning percentage in the entire NHL. In three years in Dallas, he has had the team tops in their div. three consecutive years. When you watch him, HE TALKS EVEN LESS to the guys than Dean Chynoweth does to his players. No, I don't think we should jump at the coach that fast. We have a good coach. SUPPORT the team more, and be patient, is what we have to do.

I Like that. In a way it makes the players find a way to step it up and not rely on the coach. I"m sorry. The Everett coach would you really like that. OR brandon's coach.. all they ever do is yell.. Like the way Dean is.. its a different style not overly to aggressive.. trys to make the players develop themsleve.. at some point as a player you gotta make the step right. Do it for themselves and there team? Makes sense but you need the type of player.. like a big #2 Dean serdashney.(sorry on the spelling) But that boy was a leader.. he had heart. Anyone remember the game where grabbed the other teams tough guy and we were just getting wompped.. and beat the crap out of him dropped him and skated to the bench.. end of the period just pointing at the guys on the bench and giving it to em? Thats what we lack... Or atleast it was sweet to see

Toswammi
12-02-2006, 02:41 PM
First off, who called Karl Benke a legit heavyweight? Which heavyweights has Benke scrapped with? Roman Psurny?

Don't say he didn't have a chance to prove himself. 70+ games in the dub. Of the hundreds that try out for each team that's more than most. If Benke was 6'1 he wouldn't have made it through training camp. Having players on your team because they're tall is passe.

Swift seems to have trouble putting a complete game together. Something always seems to falter weather it's the PP, PK goal scoring or goaltending. If this team could put together a full effort with everything firing we'll be fine.
Its amazing the team does have the ability to beat most teams in the league but they also have the ability to play worse than some midget teams.

ointhecreek
12-02-2006, 02:53 PM
First off, who called Karl Benke a legit heavyweight? Which heavyweights has Benke scrapped with? Roman Psurny?.C'mon Willis enuff of the exaggerations, you know as well as me that he has stood up for his team mates in alot of situations last year. He never had much chance to go with heavyweights last year because we had Tidball to do that. I'm sure he has fought better foes then Psurney. Pretty hard to fight anyone when you're not dressed this year.

Better get your stats right if your going to use them. Benke played in 51 games last year and 12 of the first 28 this year. That adds up to 63 not 70+. You can't really count this years as a full 12, imo, because he hardly got any ice time. I'm curious just how many minutes per game he's actually played.

Swift seems to have trouble putting a complete game together. Something always seems to falter weather it's the PP, PK goal scoring or goaltending. If this team could put together a full effort with everything firing we'll be fine..
Trouble is they rarely do. Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed the majority of games this year but haven't seen to many full efforts. They need to change up the PP and move Rakos off the point, he gives away to many short handed breakaways. Up until last night the PK was doing well, wonder what happened. They take far to many needless penalties and Rakos is the worst offender for a non-scrapper I have seen in a long time. He's not getting any better either.

transplantedbronco
12-02-2006, 03:34 PM
At some point it has to come down to coaching. Most of the players are trying but they are playing the systems designed by Dean. He has to take some heat on this. When guys are playing here and there but not on a consistent basis the coach has to be looked at. The only thing Deano done is aquire the worst points in a single season with Seatle. Over the last little while I can see why. He can't get the most out of these kids on a conistent basis. We are better than this. We have lots of talent in the wings just need someone to get it out of them. Time to let Dave coach.

Broncs in RD
12-02-2006, 05:31 PM
I know we have a great shot in about 2 years time, but with this system my hopes are fading. This is the WHL how in the hell can a franchise with so much pride, tradition, and respect go to ****s the last 4 years personally I am getting sick of this. We have had the lowest goals for, for I don't know how long, we have no heart, crappy euro scouting. An emotionless coach, which proberally wears off on HIS team. Benke was a player who stood up for his teammates and would go a heavyweight, like Sommerfeld, Orr, Scherdachny(sp), Tidball, Thompson, Arbez, Milne **** the list goes on those guys played with pride, heart and were proud to be a bronco. Now we rely on Leovold to fight he is a skill guy???? why, cause we have no one else that is willing to fight. Rumsey, Larochelle, Crowley are better on the ice than in the box for 5 min. Where is this years Sysky, Beagle, Hunter. We have no Identity as a team at all. This has to fall on the coach I don't care if he is nice or answers everyones questions a hsl the fact of the matter is we don't win or score. Now I am really ranting, but a lose, actually a **** kicking to one of the worst teams in the league is NOT acceptable.

d-man
12-02-2006, 06:32 PM
I Like that. In a way it makes the players find a way to step it up and not rely on the coach. I"m sorry. The Everett coach would you really like that. OR brandon's coach.. all they ever do is yell..

Ummmm...YEAH!! :D I'd love to see a coach behind the bench that is outwardly passionate about the team and the game every night. We don't have a player this year that can charge the team up so it falls on the coach to provide that leadership, after all he is the Head Coach!

Toswammi
12-02-2006, 06:44 PM
Hey d-man. Love the signature.

Flathead
12-03-2006, 12:28 AM
I Like that. In a way it makes the players find a way to step it up and not rely on the coach. I"m sorry. The Everett coach would you really like that. OR brandon's coach.. all they ever do is yell.. Like the way Dean is.. its a different style not overly to aggressive.. trys to make the players develop themsleve.. at some point as a player you gotta make the step right. Do it for themselves and there team? Makes sense but you need the type of player.. like a big #2 Dean serdashney.(sorry on the spelling) But that boy was a leader.. he had heart. Anyone remember the game where grabbed the other teams tough guy and we were just getting wompped.. and beat the crap out of him dropped him and skated to the bench.. end of the period just pointing at the guys on the bench and giving it to em? Thats what we lack... Or atleast it was sweet to see
Who's style works better? Constantine has 129 wins in 237 games with an expansion team, he's only lost 2 times this year. McCrimmon has his team in first place, playing consistent hockey, something we haven't done for years. Dean has 149 wins in 385 games.

Big Ern
12-03-2006, 12:54 AM
Certainly good work by Dean to get our guys motivated again, after allowing three PP goals. They came out awesome after that. Can't give that credit to anyone but Chynoweth. He WAS very vocal tonight.
Bottom line is, he knows hockey, and how to be a GM for sure! When his systems are executed, the team wins.
Give it a break already! Why does it always come down to Dean??!!?? For heaven's sakes the players are out there playing, not the coach!
Transplantedbronco, I thought you were supporting me here. I guess you aren't! I thought you knew better about Dean than what you stated above. What about tonight's game? Why doesn't anyone say, "Dean did good tonight," instead of always complain??!!?? OUR FANS ARE SPOILED FRIGGIN' ROTTEN!!! Why can't we just come watch the game, enjoy a burger or two, and give the guy a chance...he's trying his hardest. If he up and quit, would one of you all apply for the job??!!?? Again I suggest, when you get to be GM, re-aquire Benke, and trade him to R.D. for Sutter, Hanzal, and Starkov. Everybody who *****es about Dean seems to think it's that easy! Geez, I better stop, before I type somethin' I'll regret, BUT WOW!! DOES THIS CRAP EVER TICK ME OFF!!!!!!!!!

Willis on the Welfare
12-03-2006, 01:39 AM
ointhecreek said: C'mon Willis enuff of the exaggerations, you know as well as me that he has stood up for his team mates in alot of situations last year. He never had much chance to go with heavyweights last year because we had Tidball to do that. I'm sure he has fought better foes then Psurney. Pretty hard to fight anyone when you're not dressed this year.

Who did he fight O? You're such a big fan of Benke, surely you can name one heavyweight in his 63 games he dropped the gloves with. He was here before Tidball so don't give me that crap. Kassian was kicking the league's ass at 17...who did Benke go with? Euros O. Euros.

on in the creek said: Better get your stats right if your going to use them. Benke played in 51 games last year and 12 of the first 28 this year. That adds up to 63 not 70+. You can't really count this years as a full 12, imo, because he hardly got any ice time. I'm curious just how many minutes per game he's actually played.

I say: You want to nitpick over numbers? Benke had 63 regular season games, numerous pre-season games not to mention games as a call-up when he was 16. He had 70+ game type oppourtunites to prove himself. He pulled on a Bronco jersey 70+ times, not to mention EVERYDAY AT PRACTICE And one last thing...if you're going to haterize on Dean for not giving Benke a chance, you better also show your frustration to every other GM in the league. Don't think Dean didn't try to trade him. No one else in the entire WHL was even willing to part with a bantam draft pick for your so called enforcer. Dean gave him 10 times the chances any other GM and coach would have and you're all criticizing him for it!

Big Ern
12-03-2006, 01:52 AM
Dean gave him 10 times the chances any other GM and coach would have and you're all criticizing him for it!

Good point man! Somebody is supporting me here! Thanx very very much. Any other complaints from you complainers and pessimists, read what I said when I closed off my post above. Thankyou all. Have a goodnight!

ointhecreek
12-03-2006, 09:02 AM
And one last thing...if you're going to haterize on Dean for not giving Benke a chance, you better also show your frustration to every other GM in the league. Don't think Dean didn't try to trade him. No one else in the entire WHL was even willing to part with a bantam draft pick for your so called enforcer.
Tell us all how you know this Willis. Your such a fan of Dean and Benke hater and seem to know all the numbers. I haven't heard any rumours about any attempt at a trade, but I don't have any inside information. As for who Benke has scrapped, well I'm not good at remembering names but I know against Saskatoon he stood up for a team mate and got jumped by 2 players. Against Spokane last year he went after Stoelz in the corner and 3 guys jumped him from behind and Stoelz ended up beating up a Bronco, can't remember who, with his own helmet. Don't give me this crap about only taking on euros.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 10:25 AM
ointhecreek said: C'mon Willis enuff of the exaggerations, you know as well as me that he has stood up for his team mates in alot of situations last year. He never had much chance to go with heavyweights last year because we had Tidball to do that. I'm sure he has fought better foes then Psurney. Pretty hard to fight anyone when you're not dressed this year.

Who did he fight O? You're such a big fan of Benke, surely you can name one heavyweight in his 63 games he dropped the gloves with. He was here before Tidball so don't give me that crap. Kassian was kicking the league's ass at 17...who did Benke go with? Euros O. Euros.

on in the creek said: Better get your stats right if your going to use them. Benke played in 51 games last year and 12 of the first 28 this year. That adds up to 63 not 70+. You can't really count this years as a full 12, imo, because he hardly got any ice time. I'm curious just how many minutes per game he's actually played.

I say: You want to nitpick over numbers? Benke had 63 regular season games, numerous pre-season games not to mention games as a call-up when he was 16. He had 70+ game type oppourtunites to prove himself. He pulled on a Bronco jersey 70+ times, not to mention EVERYDAY AT PRACTICE And one last thing...if you're going to haterize on Dean for not giving Benke a chance, you better also show your frustration to every other GM in the league. Don't think Dean didn't try to trade him. No one else in the entire WHL was even willing to part with a bantam draft pick for your so called enforcer. Dean gave him 10 times the chances any other GM and coach would have and you're all criticizing him for it!

Benke fought Skrudland, Hunt, Elder (2x), King, Moscaluk and Stoesz just to name a few. Sorry for not jumping on you and Bigern's Deano love fest. The rest of us dont blow sunshine up his ass regardless of his results.

If you are such an insider you should know that our wonderful leader in Schenderling hates it in Swift and has been pissed ever since Aspenlind got selected in the expansion draft instead of him. What ever happened to the guys who took pride in putting on the Bronco jersey? Absolute lack of passion.

Flathead
12-03-2006, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=bigern]
Bottom line is, he knows hockey, and how to be a GM for sure! When his systems are executed, the team wins.
QUOTE]
I think everyone can agree with that, he knows hockey and can find great talent, but that doesn't make anyone with those attributes a great coach. You have to be able to motivate and instill a winning instinct into these kids. There's a lot more to coaching than having hockey knowledge and being able to spot talent. Transplantedbronco may have it right, "he can't get the most out of these kids on a consistent basis". I do agree that when the systems are played and we stick together as a team, we can play with anyone, especially 5 on 5. When we fall apart, it's the coaches job to put it back together, or spot it and correct it before it happens. I just want consistent efforts.

observer9
12-03-2006, 12:00 PM
Benke fought Skrudland, Hunt, Elder (2x), King, Moscaluk and Stoesz just to name a few. Sorry for not jumping on you and Bigern's Deano love fest. The rest of us dont blow sunshine up his ass regardless of his results.

If you are such an insider you should know that our wonderful leader in Schenderling hates it in Swift and has been pissed ever since Aspenlind got selected in the expansion draft instead of him. What ever happened to the guys who took pride in putting on the Bronco jersey? Absolute lack of passion.

You're calling those heavyweights? Scott Skudland isn't tough. He jumped Dale Wiese earlier this year when Wiese had a full face-shield on. Skrudland is tall but he's not a fighter! Garet Hunt in Vancouver? He's like 5'9 and if I remember that fight Benke didn't do so well. Elder in PA? Sorry, doesn't qaulify as a tough guy. King in Lethbridge? Yes, the 16 year old Dwight King who beat the 17 year old Benke last year in a scrap. Moscaluk? Ok we had this guy in Swifty and he wasn't a tough guy. Moscaluk ran over Yonkman in calgary and Benke was obligated to go after him. Benke jumped on him in the corner and then let Moscaluk get to his feet. Benke than ate 3 uppercuts. Fight over. I wasn't there but I watched the webcast. Stoez? Sorry that fight never happened. Stoez went with Wasmuth and beat him over the head with his helmet while Benke grabbed the Euro on the ice at the time. I do believe the boys in the locker room used to call him Karl "euro killer" Benke. That's just what I heard.

Bottom line, I wanted Benke to be our next tough guy but honestly, he doesn't have that killer instinct and it showed in his scraps.

As for Schenderling, from what I know he's not that happy here but he wanted to move close to home for his last season. It didn't happen and he pouted for awhile probably. He looked fine last night and is always upbeat when I talk to him. Watch for him to turn it up over the next month or two.

transplantedbronco
12-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Bigern still love ya man. Hey my post may not sound like it but I still love this team and will support these guys no matter what. Dean right now is a great GM and all I was saying is as a COACH he needs some improvement. They are not playing for him right now. Last night was awseome but there is no consistincy and with that one has to look at the coach. But maybe I should be a little more careful with this forum. We need some more positive posts. Show these kids we are still behind them. So with that I will say Great job buy everyone last night and that includes DEAN. Keep it up and lets kill Regina. :thumb:

12-03-2006, 01:07 PM
I think a lot of people in Swift Current are having trouble understanding how the rules of this game have changed over the last little while. Big guys like Benke are finding themselves on the outside looking in because the role of the enforcer is a dying breed.

Sure go ahead and pick up a fighting major, but you better be prepared to pick up a 2 minute instigator penalty to complement it as well. The Broncos need to avoid the penalty minutes right now, not rack up even more.

I don't know if the fans are just blind this year, but we are playing some darn good hockey at times, and are just a player or two away from being a contending squad. But it seems everyone would like to critize the coaching staff more than praise some of our strengths.

Everyone needs to quit being so impatient and let these guys get into their groove. Early in the season it seemed that Nelson was on the chopping block on this board. He's stepped it up. Everyone was riding Schenderling for a poor start. He stepped it up. And don't even get me started on Rakos and Leavold.

I think Dean has done a great job rebuilding this squad after coming in to the mess that the previous regime left behind, and I will continue to support what he is doing for the club.

transplantedbronco
12-03-2006, 01:19 PM
Well said Quater. Even I have been a little too negative on Dean. We do need to remember that he started with no real picks or prospects. And with Benke at least we was reassigned. That all I wanted was for him to get a chance elsewhere.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 01:22 PM
You're calling those heavyweights? Scott Skudland isn't tough. He jumped Dale Wiese earlier this year when Wiese had a full face-shield on. Skrudland is tall but he's not a fighter! Garet Hunt in Vancouver? He's like 5'9 and if I remember that fight Benke didn't do so well. Elder in PA? Sorry, doesn't qaulify as a tough guy. King in Lethbridge? Yes, the 16 year old Dwight King who beat the 17 year old Benke last year in a scrap. Moscaluk? Ok we had this guy in Swifty and he wasn't a tough guy. Moscaluk ran over Yonkman in calgary and Benke was obligated to go after him. Benke jumped on him in the corner and then let Moscaluk get to his feet. Benke than ate 3 uppercuts. Fight over. I wasn't there but I watched the webcast. Stoez? Sorry that fight never happened. Stoez went with Wasmuth and beat him over the head with his helmet while Benke grabbed the Euro on the ice at the time. I do believe the boys in the locker room used to call him Karl "euro killer" Benke. That's just what I heard.

Bottom line, I wanted Benke to be our next tough guy but honestly, he doesn't have that killer instinct and it showed in his scraps.

As for Schenderling, from what I know he's not that happy here but he wanted to move close to home for his last season. It didn't happen and he pouted for awhile probably. He looked fine last night and is always upbeat when I talk to him. Watch for him to turn it up over the next month or two.

Show me the spot in my paragraph where I called any of those guys heavies or said he won the fight. These guys weren't Euros. That was my point. As for Stoesz there was three guys on each side with majors at the same time. Guess I picked the wrong one.

Willis on the Welfare
12-03-2006, 01:24 PM
1st off I don't claim to have any inside info.

I never made one single post about Schendo and Aspenlind. Feel free to check all of my 200 plus posts to prove me wrong, but I never said anything resembling that.

Dean will always try to trade before he reassigns. You don't have to be an insider to know this.

You know what ...the only way is when we play a team with a legit heavyweight, Dean calls him up and then Benke goes back to Fort Sask bloody and beaten. I want it to happen now...When do we play Brandon again? Benke and Yeo. How about Benke and Bendfeld the next time we play The Hat? Deano, I'm begging you make it happen! You're clinging to a dream and I'm working with facts.

And I DON'T HATE BENKE. I hate the fact that everyone seems to be all over our coach for reassigning a guy who doesn't belong in this league.

And one more thing.. Benke fought Psurny in Med Hat...and didn't win...enough said.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 05:07 PM
Heres Benkes fight card in order:

Elder, King, Moscaluk, McCrea, Falk, Zimmer, Hewson, Psurny, Elder, Hunt, Reinhart, Skrudland.

Wow! Littered with Euro's eh?

Hope this post isn't to racy to get by the mods. :thumb:

Scout
12-03-2006, 05:11 PM
Guys and Gals: This is a great discussion and you are all making valid points. But lets keep it on the topic. I had to go in and either edit or delete some posts. Lets keep the name calling and personal attacks against other posters out of it. Talk all you wish about the team, players, coaches, etc all you wish but once i get e-mails saying the topic is off base then something has to be done. If you wish to debate something please leave the posters name and name calling out of it.

Willis on the Welfare
12-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Heres Benkes fight card in order:

Elder, King, Moscaluk, McCrea, Falk, Zimmer, Hewson, Psurny, Elder, Hunt, Reinhart, Skrudland.

Wow! Littered with Euro's eh?

Hope this post isn't to racy to get by the mods. :thumb:

Not exactly littered with heavyweights either.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 05:15 PM

Stoez fought Wasmuth and Benke fought a Euro eh? Why does it say he fought Justin Falk from Snowflake MB then? Is Manitoba also a European nation now. Just wondering since you know everything that has ever happened anywhere.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 05:15 PM
Not exactly littered with heavyweights either.

Did I say it was?

Willis on the Welfare
12-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Did I say it was?

Karl Benke has NEVER won a fight by a clear margin and he's NEVER taken on a legit heavy. People who think we need to keep him around for his toughness need to realize he's not the second coming of Kassian. That's all I'm saying.

Willis on the Welfare
12-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Stoez fought Wasmuth and Benke fought a Euro eh? Why does it say he fought Justin Falk from Snowflake MB then? Is Manitoba also a European nation now. Just wondering since you know everything that has ever happened anywhere.

Where are you getting your info? What is "it"?

ointhecreek
12-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Stoez? Sorry that fight never happened. Stoez went with Wasmuth and beat him over the head with his helmet while Benke grabbed the Euro on the ice at the time.
That isn't the way it happened, I was standing at the glass in the corner. Stoez checked one of the broncos from behind in the corner and Benke skated over to go after him and 3 guys jumped him. Stoez snuck out and paired up with Wasmuth and after everyone paired up Benke ended up with the euro cause the euro was hanging on to him. He didn't go in grabbing the euro.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 06:31 PM
Where are you getting your info? What is "it"?

Hockeyfights.com. Go to players on the left side, type in Benke and click fight card.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Karl Benke has NEVER won a fight by a clear margin and he's NEVER taken on a legit heavy. People who think we need to keep him around for his toughness need to realize he's not the second coming of Kassian. That's all I'm saying.

all I am saying is that he didn't fight only Euros. No more no less.

dodywood4ever
12-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Benke should take this kid on:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9z8l9d2ogqc

Willis on the Welfare
12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
I don't want to make any enemies out of this issue. For me to say he only went after euros is not true (although in scrums he seemed to match up with them from time to time). I don't feel he deserves a spot on the team...some do.

I pose one last question: Say we do bring back Benke, who do we sit? All things being equal and everyone being healthy, which player on the Broncos active roster gets the clipboard so we can dress Benke.

Anyone who has made a post criticizing Dean for letting him go please respond. I'm curious to see the answers of those who feel Benke got a raw deal.

Broncs in RD
12-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Two players that come to mind are Toulmin and McAvoy, could Benke be a better forward than those two? McAvoy kinda done squat 84 games 12 points and a minus 8, same as Toulmin 6'4'' 190 40 games and only 3 points and a minus 5. I am not saying Benke could or would be a better option, but these two players better step it up or they will be in the AJHL as well.

Toswammi
12-03-2006, 11:44 PM
Two players that come to mind are Toulmin and McAvoy, could Benke be a better forward than those two? McAvoy kinda done squat 84 games 12 points and a minus 8, same as Toulmin 6'4'' 190 40 games and only 3 points and a minus 5. I am not saying Benke could or would be a better option, but these two players better step it up or they will be in the AJHL as well.
Toulman is basically an 17 yr old rookie. You have to remember that. He may not score like he did in midget but i feel that he is/will become a solid player.

dynamitekid
12-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Benke led the team in plus minus last year!!!! Enough said. Stats do not lie. This was totaly personal. If you sat everybody on our team for making mistakes Karl would have been getting lots of ice time!!!

Horseshoe
12-06-2006, 11:44 PM
Benke led the team in plus minus last year!!!! Enough said. Stats do not lie. This was totaly personal. If you sat everybody on our team for making mistakes Karl would have been getting lots of ice time!!!

Actually, stats can be very misleading, especially plus/minus, which happens to be the most useless stat out there.

Willis on the Welfare
12-07-2006, 05:52 AM

I'm sure Benke's +/- had alot to do with the fact he wasn't exactly matched up against the other teams top lines.

What's our record since we re-assigned him?

12-07-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm sure Benke's +/- had alot to do with the fact he wasn't exactly matched up against the other teams top lines.

What's our record since we re-assigned him?

Now there's a stat that matters! :clap:

transplantedbronco
12-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey I got to agree as well and I am a fan of Benke. I will always believe the move had more to do with his actions off the ice. A player can make mistakes and not get benched if they behave off ice. But as soon as think you are bigger than the coaches and think you can do whatever you like off the ice your a$$ is grass.

d-man
12-07-2006, 07:24 PM
Hey I got to agree as well and I am a fan of Benke. I will always believe the move had more to do with his actions off the ice. A player can make mistakes and not get benched if they behave off ice. But as soon as think you are bigger than the coaches and think you can do whatever you like off the ice your a$$ is grass.

So what were his off ice actions?

superfan
12-07-2006, 11:57 PM
Listen Benke Asked For A Trade In The Beginning Of The Season And Cheynoth Has Decided To Play Head Games With Him By Playing Him Once In A While And Now He Is Doing The Same With Him After He Was Released.benke Wants To Play For The Nanaimo Clippers Of The Bcjhl Instead Of Fort Sask But Is Having Problems With Dean Over This ,now It Is Going To Go To The Whl Commissioner. Nice Guy This Coach

loud and proud
12-08-2006, 12:26 AM
Head games are this guy's specialty. Perhaps we could make some money for the team by setting up a pool called "Who is Dean's Target Tonight". Watch carefully some night and you will see that it is pretty easy to pick who the current victims are,but there is definitely a problem.

Willis on the Welfare
12-08-2006, 06:53 AM
Now that the Broncos are on a win streak we need to **** on Dean cause he plays head games?

It's amazing how we'll always find something to whine about. We reassign a player who has nothing more than size going for him and that generates almost 80 posts. Now that we're winning someone is whining about "Dean playing headgames?" Boo-frickin-hoo!

the team is on a winning streak and may be in 1st by the christmas break, STOP WHINING!!!

Toswammi
12-08-2006, 08:54 AM
Woo Hoo post 84 in this thread!!!!!

This thread is starting to get ridiculus. I mean come on and use some common sense. Benke isnt exactly a potential first rounder hear, i mean put him on most teams 50 ppl and he will still be in this kind of mess. He isnt that good of a defenseman.

Toswammi
12-08-2006, 08:57 AM
OMG Benke has been recalled!!!

And put on the suspension list. Just so Naimino cant get there hands on him.

Oh yeah, post 85 lol

transplantedbronco
12-08-2006, 09:22 AM
Ha make it 86 posts now. All I got to say on this is this. People are saying Benke is not good enough for this team, he cant skate well enough, would be in the same vote on anyother team, etc, etc...Now all of a sudden he is to good to play for Nanimo. HORSE*****. This is trying to screw someone PERIOD. If Nanimo is willing to pay us for his release then why havent we? If what some of you people are saying is true. All he wants to do is play hockey :confused:

Toswammi
12-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Ha make it 86 posts now. All I got to say on this is this. People are saying Benke is not good enough for this team, he cant skate well enough, would be in the same vote on anyother team, etc, etc...Now all of a sudden he is to good to play for Nanimo. HORSE*****. This is trying to screw someone PERIOD. If Nanimo is willing to pay us for his release then why havent we? If what some of you people are saying is true. All he wants to do is play hockey :confused:
Its business. I dont think the team wants to lose the $$$ invested in him like that.

ointhecreek
12-08-2006, 12:30 PM
Its business. I dont think the team wants to lose the $$$ invested in him like that.
Don't want him on the team but won't let him play with someone who is willing to pay for his release. Sure they invested in him, but they don't want him? I have always respected most decisions of this team and am not calling for Dean's head but I find this situation questionable.

transplantedbronco
12-08-2006, 02:40 PM
This has gone beyond business all season. Numbers game was crap. They have made it personal. They are willing to pay for him and WHAT the broncos have invested in him not just his release. This is not Business.

observer9
12-08-2006, 02:44 PM
This is Karl Friggin Benke we're talking about!! Reality check please! He's a non-factor in the grand scheme of things. He did nothing with his limited time here. He'll go somewhere in junior a and be a mediocre player and finish of his junior career. Drop it! Unbelievable some people on here. The Broncs can win 4 in a row tonight in MJ. Talk about that. Enough.

ointhecreek
12-08-2006, 06:51 PM
This is Karl Friggin Benke we're talking about!! Reality check please! He's a non-factor in the grand scheme of things. He did nothing with his limited time here. He'll go somewhere in junior a and be a mediocre player and finish of his junior career. Drop it! Unbelievable some people on here. The Broncs can win 4 in a row tonight in MJ. Talk about that. Enough.
Don't open the thread if you don't like it! Some fans care how the players and what they are doing. Fans in Swift have always been passionate about their team. He may not be a factor in the "grand scheme of things" in your opinion but some people enjoyed the way he played. At least he didn't always hit the opposing player with his shot and give up short handed breakaways like another player.

Willis on the Welfare
12-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Don't open the thread if you don't like it! Some fans care how the players and what they are doing. Fans in Swift have always been passionate about their team. He may not be a factor in the "grand scheme of things" in your opinion but some people enjoyed the way he played. At least he didn't always hit the opposing player with his shot and give up short handed breakaways like another player.

ointhecreek is right. We should have Karl Benke return and quarterback the powerplay. Comparing Postma to Benke (which I think is what you're doing) is ridiculous. Postma is the powerplay QB of the present and future, Benke is a 6'5 220 pound liability, who is only still on the team's list in case of injuries.

Honestly answer these questions:

Would you be comfortable seeing Karl Benke on the powerplay?

Would you be comfortable seeing Benke kill penalties? (picture him out there against Brandon's powerplay)

Would you be comfortable seeing Karl Benke matched up with Codey Burki's line? Hanzal and Starkov? Darren Helm?

I still haven't seen many answers to the question: If we bring him back, who do we sit? Who loses ice time and developement for the Karl Benke experiment?

Our coaches made the right call on this one.

Broncs in RD
12-09-2006, 03:27 PM
ointhecreek is right. We should have Karl Benke return and quarterback the powerplay. Comparing Postma to Benke (which I think is what you're doing) is ridiculous. Postma is the powerplay QB of the present and future, Benke is a 6'5 220 pound liability, who is only still on the team's list in case of injuries.

Honestly asnwer these questions:

Would you be comfortable seeing Karl Benke on the powerplay?

Would you be comfortable seeing Benke kill penalties? (picture him out there against Brandon's powerplay)

Would you be comfortable seeing Karl Benke matched up with Codey Burki's line? Hanzal and Starkov? Darren Helm?

I still haven't seen many answers to the question: If we bring him back, who do we sit? Who loses ice time and developement for the Karl Benke experiment?

Our coaches made the right call on this one.

Yes I would be comfortable with Benke on the PP, stand him in front of the Goalie, Look at the senators PP when Chara was in front of the net.

Killing penelties, proberally not, but he wasn't given the chance in the first place so we really don't know how he would do.

We really have no one to answer the Starkov/Hanzel line right now anyways so that question is pretty stupid to ask in the first place.
I would rather see McAvoy sit.

Big Ern
12-09-2006, 03:57 PM
We really have no one to answer the Starkov/Hanzel line right now anyways so that question is pretty stupid to ask in the first place.

That is almost the most rediculous statement I've ever heard! Granted, Hanzal had four or five points when the Rebels were here, but did you see our PK shut two COMPLETE five on threes down??!!??!! The Hanzal/Starkov/Sutter line was out there through all two of them, and could not muster even five shots on goal...they were all blocked. Then, we had the momentum and Rakos took a silly penalty late, and THEN Hanzal scored. If that had not happened, we probably would have won that one. But to say we have no answer to that line is almost ridiculous...one thing is for certain....KARL couldn't help us in that regard. He'd probably fall in front of the net, and take the goalie down with him!! Then what? What if his big skate then hit the goalie in the head?? THEN WHAT??!!??
We have one of the elite penalty kills in the league. We are slumping a bit in the last four games with the PK, but we're killing them off at a feverish pace normally. SO THERE!

Broncs in RD
12-09-2006, 04:06 PM
That is almost the most rediculous statement I've ever heard! Granted, Hanzal had four or five points when the Rebels were here, but did you see our PK shut two COMPLETE five on threes down??!!??!! The Hanzal/Starkov/Sutter line was out there through all two of them, and could not muster even five shots on goal...they were all blocked. Then, we had the momentum and Rakos took a silly penalty late, and THEN Hanzal scored. If that had not happened, we probably would have won that one. But to say we have no answer to that line is almost ridiculous...one thing is for certain....KARL couldn't help us in that regard. He'd probably fall in front of the net, and take the goalie down with him!! Then what? What if his big skate then hit the goalie in the head?? THEN WHAT??!!??
We have one of the elite penalty kills in the league. We are slumping a bit in the last four games with the PK, but we're killing them off at a feverish pace normally. SO THERE!

Ya exactly hanzel had 5 points and Starkov had 4 so what are you trying to tell me? We shut them down? I said we have no one to shut that line down. 2 players getting 9 points is not shutting them down bigern no matter what, they got 9 points in one game against us that is awful. Were you at the game in Red Deer when Hanzel and Starkov out skated out worked our whole team. You can't say Karl would fall down and knock our goalie over because he never had a chance. SO THERE

Willis on the Welfare
12-09-2006, 04:30 PM
Karl Benke as an 18 year old d-man has to be able to playin all situations against otehr teams top lines.

Don't even think of camparing Benke to Chara. Chara is a Norris calibre d-man with skill to go with size.

Karl Benke has no goals in 70+ WHL games (yes, ointhecreek 70+) You can't just stick a big man in front of the goalie on a PP and expect results. We tried it with Trojovsky a few years ago and that was a powerplay with White, Williams, Leavitt and Redenbach. Guess what? I didn't work!

I credit Broncos in RD with at least answering the question of who we should sit for Benke. I don't agree it should be McAvoy. It shouldn't be anyone, but at least he has tried to answer the question.

ointhecreek
12-09-2006, 05:21 PM
Karl Benke as an 18 year old d-man has to be able to playin all situations against otehr teams top lines.

Don't even think of comparing Benke to Chara. Chara is a Norris calibre d-man with skill to go with size.

Karl Benke has no goals in 70+ WHL games (yes, ointhecreek 70+) You can't just stick a big man in front of the goalie on a PP and expect results. We tried it with Trojovsky a few years ago and that was a powerplay with White, Williams, Leavitt and Redenbach. Guess what? I didn't work!

I credit Broncos in RD with at least answering the question of who we should sit for Benke. I don't agree it should be McAvoy. It shouldn't be anyone, but at least he has tried to answer the question.
Well, for one thing, Mr. big shot, I don't think they should sit anyone permanently, just some players that don't want to think and decide to play for themselves instead of as a team. What makes you think I was talking about Postma? Do you think he has given up a lot of short handed breakaways? There are a few guys that deserve to sit out because of lack of leadership and lack of effort. That doesn't mean they should sit permanently. I never said either that Benke was the answer to the problems either so stop putting words in my posts that are not there. Now I've answered your question as much as I'm going to and am done discussing it with you because you are starting to get real arrogant about the whole thing and am not going to get in an argument on this board. I imagine I'll either get deleted or edited.

Willis on the Welfare
12-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Well, for one thing, Mr. big shot, I don't think they should sit anyone permanently, just some players that don't want to think and decide to play for themselves instead of as a team. What makes you think I was talking about Postma? Do you think he has given up a lot of short handed breakaways? There are a few guys that deserve to sit out because of lack of leadership and lack of effort. That doesn't mean they should sit permanently. I never said either that Benke was the answer to the problems either so stop putting words in my posts that are not there. Now I've answered your question as much as I'm going to and am done discussing it with you because you are starting to get real arrogant about the whole thing and am not going to get in an argument on this board. I imagine I'll either get deleted or edited.

All I'm saying is the coaches made the only move they could with the roster we have. Benke was given a chance and didn't cut it.

How's he doing in Nanaimo? Anyone hear?

PS: Scout, please don't edit the Mr. Big Shot comment. I kinda like it.

Big Ern
12-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Ya exactly hanzel had 5 points and Starkov had 4 so what are you trying to tell me? We shut them down? I said we have no one to shut that line down. 2 players getting 9 points is not shutting them down bigern no matter what, they got 9 points in one game against us that is awful. Were you at the game in Red Deer when Hanzel and Starkov out skated out worked our whole team. You can't say Karl would fall down and knock our goalie over because he never had a chance. SO THERE

Our penalty kill is awesome! They just finished off the SEVENTH kill against the Wheaties in Brandon right now.....who have the absolute top PP in the league. I got carried away a bit up there, yes, Starkov and Hanzal did score a lot of points....whatever. No matter what they do tonight, I'm still proud of what they're doing in Brandon. They are LITERALLY CRUSHING the top PP in the league. We do have a good D! Who knows what our guys would do against Hanzal/Sutter/Starkov tonight! Right now Red Deer is burning up the Regina Pats 3-0 in the first. I don't think they'd be doing that to us tonight if we were playing them. So whatever you think, I think for a rebuilding team, our defense, especially our PK, is awesome. SO THERE!! It's a matter of opinion, that's all. Thanks for responding.

Big Ern
12-09-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm very proud to post the 100th reply on this thread! Unbelievable how our fans in Swift discuss their team, especially the "Benke issue"! LOL LOL
Congrats Swift Current fans! We undoubtedly have the best forum in this website. I want to take this opportunity to say thankyou all consistent bloggers. We all play a big part in the Broncos' organization!

superfan
12-10-2006, 12:13 PM
I Think That I May Be The 100 Poster According To The Number Of Replies Posted Anyways Congrats Team You Guys Are All Chipping In Together And Playing Great Hockey,even You Guys That Are Not Getting Points If It Were Not For You We Wouldnt Be Putting The Puck In The Net And Winning

transplantedbronco
12-10-2006, 12:45 PM
This Benke situation should get very interesting in the next week. If Karl was called up then suspended what will the team do since Benke has now played 2 games for Nanimo. Apparantly Nanaimo would care less about WHL transfer rules. I kind of like it.