PDA

View Full Version : Rematch!

patsfan33
11-26-2006, 03:23 PM
pederson's blog:

Rumble In The Rockies

CRANBROOK, BC -- I hadn't forgotten how rough tonight's game here between the Regina Pats and and Kootenay Ice tonight would be. But if I had, the players would've reminded me.

All through Saturday's 10-hour blustery busride from Kelowna to the Kootenays, the talk was almost entirely about what a gongshow tonight's contest could be.

Why? Well let's refresh. Back on Friday, Nov. 3, 4,581 fans nearly filled Regina's Brandt Centre to catch the Pats and the Ice. In the second period, Regina's Nick Ross laid out Kootenay's John Negrin with the hardest open-ice hit and of us in the building had ever seen. Boogaard'd Negrin left that game and I'm told hasn't played since. And almost everytime Ross was on the ice after that, he was jumped.

Kootenay's Curtis Billsten was the leader of the parade, and in overtime he was attacked by Regina's Brett Leffler who took a penalty for it and the Ice capitalized on the powerplay with :03 to go to give the Ice a 5-4 win. That was also the game where Pats' coach Curtis Hunt, GM Brent Parker and trainer Greg Mayer were all given game misconducts for harrassing referee Adam Byblow. Byblow, in turn, was subject to undisclosed discipline by the WHL for what the league deemed "officiating below the standard accepted in the WHL".

That was a first.

So tonight, they meet again and I don't know about the Ice, but the Pats are ready. That last game was like old-time hockey, not for the faint of heart. It was like the 'Dub from the 70's, 80's and early 90's where you had to have your head on a swivel or it would be knocked off.

Now a lot times these games never live up to the advance hype but in this case, Regina's going to be supercharged because a win would put them at 3-3 on the trip, and .500 overall coming home. They plan to go hard after it and so I'm sure, do the Ice. It's a 7:00 faceoff Saskatchewan time (6:35pm Press Box Sports Bar Pats Pregame Show).

I ain't gonna lie, this is should be one hell of a game...only wish we had Brownlee back in the lineup