PDA

View Full Version : OHL being sued

nivek_wahs
11-27-2006, 05:51 AM
I read about this in the Hockey News a while ago but I couldn't find a link on the internet to a story but, I have now found one.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1164496213795&call_pageid=968867503640&col=970081593064&t=TS_Home

The Education of Brody Todd
Nov. 26, 2006. 08:49 AM

Brody Todd stood alone inside the big, empty rink on a cold November day in 2004. He had stopped by the Sudbury Community Arena to pick up a black garbage bag full of hockey equipment and a stick left outside a dressing room door by the Wolves, the city's Ontario Hockey League team.

The previous day, the late Wolves' coach and general manager Bert Templeton had kicked Todd off the team. Templeton was a tough, no-nonsense coach. Todd was a fun-loving player. They did not get along.

There were no formal goodbyes or best wishes from the team. Just the bag and stick and some gas money that Todd fingered in his pocket as he looked around the arena one last time.

Todd's dream of playing professional hockey was fading. He worried about losing his final year of high school and what that would do to his education and prospects.

A sense of uncertainty and helplessness overcame him. And he wondered: "Why?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When Brody Todd pulled out of Sudbury in his cherry red Mazda pick-up for the lonely 400-kilometre ride home to Thorold, it marked the end of another chapter of his education in junior hockey.

In a five-year OHL career, Todd would bounce around four teams, attend six high schools and one university and end up suing the OHL for $168,000 — primarily over his schooling.

Like so many players, Todd's professional dreams did disappear. His backup plan, to attend university with OHL funding, did not go smoothly. He learned some hard lessons.

"The league always told us, they would take care of our education costs," Todd recalls. "I sure found out different. My experience taught me that players need to understand what is exactly in their contracts and not be afraid to ask questions."

Todd's OHL instruction began when the Kingston Frontenacs selected him in the second round of the annual midget draft in 2000. A 6-foot-2, 200-pound left-winger, Todd had attracted scouts because of his size, toughness and industriousness.

He could have played at a lower level of junior hockey until he was eligible for a U.S. college scholarship. But the OHL's success in developing National Hockey League players convinced him that it was the place to play.

The eager 16-year-old signed a standard player contract with the Frontenacs that paid him $50 a week for his "exclusive services." The team covered his lodging, food and school expenses.

Among other things, the contract contained an "education package" under which Todd would receive $7,000 annually for four years for post-secondary schooling. The package's terms are similar for most players but dollar amounts vary.

He also had a provision that prohibited the team from trading him without his consent.

Early in his second season, Todd became disillusioned over a lack of playing time and progression in Kingston. After one loss, an angry coach Larry Mavety told players that if anyone didn't want to play for the Frontenacs, they should leave. Todd packed his bags and drove home the next day.

Through his agent, lawyer Todd Christie, Todd waived his no-trade clause. A few weeks later, Mavety dealt him to Sudbury where he finished the season. But during the summer, Christie received a surprise letter from his old team. Mavety wrote that Todd had left the Frontenacs voluntarily and, as a consequence, the player violated his contract and forfeited "all benefits."

Christie contacted the OHL and argued that Todd had not left voluntarily or breached his contract, saying the team had never given the player proper notice of a violation which would affect his benefits. Despite phone calls, registered letters and faxes, the league never responded with its position, according to Christie.

Christie felt strongly that Todd was on solid legal ground even though the issue remained unresolved. The lawyer also didn't believe the league would allow any of its member clubs to leave a player without education assistance.

The package has become an integral selling point for the OHL, a way to attract players considering U.S. colleges that offer scholarships. In the fall of 2002, Todd rejoined the Wolves and entered Grade 13. Besides hockey and school, he enjoyed dating and parties.

Templeton was not amused and eventually sent him home.

"I'm worried about my (high) school year," Todd told his parents on the phone.

After waiting in Thorold for more than a month — corresponding regularly with teachers in Sudbury to complete the school year — the Wolves sent him to the Ottawa 67's.

Todd fit in with the 67's and his scoring improved marginally during the next two years. He returned as a 20-year-old overager for the 2004-05 season.

At the same time, Todd began focusing on his education, realizing his chances for a pro career were slim. He graduated from high school and enrolled in two courses at Carleton University in the fall of 2004. But his schooling was disrupted once again with a mid-season trade to the Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds.

Todd was frustrated, but within a few days he reported to his fourth team, dropping out of the two university courses.

His OHL career ended quietly that spring with 46 goals and 93 points in 295 games. Not surprisingly, Todd didn't attract any pro offers and, in the fall of last year, he enrolled at Acadia University in Wolfville, N.S.

Finally, the dispute over who should pay for the education of Brody Todd came to a head.

The school's registrar sent an invoice to the Frontenacs, but didn't receive any money. Christie complained to the OHL.

He said the league sent him the original 2002 Mavety letter saying that Todd's benefits had been wiped out. The agent responded by challenging it.

The OHL's position appeared at odds with what it was communicating publicly. An OHL promotional booklet for parents and prospects listed Todd playing university hockey on league scholarships.

The reality was quite different. With enrolment for his second year hanging in the balance, Todd reluctantly paid the overdue tuition fees.

In early September, after more invoices to Kingston and no responses, Todd's father wrote a final letter imploring the OHL to honour the commitment.

There was still no response. A few weeks later, Christie filed a lawsuit against the OHL, commissioner Dave Branch and the Frontenacs. Todd alleged the team reneged on the original education package and other commitments. The claim also challenged the legality of the 2000 OHL draft because it restricted Todd's ability to play and negotiate with the team of his choice. Furthermore, he charged the teams paid him below Ontario's minimum wage of $6.80 an hour, short-changing him about $10,000 over his career.

Christie said he included the latter two allegations to "really get the league's attention."

Within four days, the university received a $7,000 cheque from the Frontenacs. And last week, the league and Christie negotiated an out-of-court settlement. Both sides agreed the terms would remain confidential.

"Brody is very satisfied," Christie said.

Mavety referred inquiries to the league.

Branch wouldn't talk specifically about Todd but confirmed the OHL's executive committee decided this week to look at the league's education scholarship program as a result of the case.

"The important thing is that we learn from this experience."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Todd, now 22, is in his second year at Acadia, concentrating on English and history.

"I was disgusted how they held this (education package) back from me after playing in the league for five years," Todd says. "If I hadn't pushed and sued, I likely would have ended up with nothing."

Wildeyes
11-27-2006, 06:45 AM
good for him after being screwed around for 5 yrs finally he gets what he wants