PDA

View Full Version : Giants find Slades replacement

howley
11-29-2006, 01:22 PM
The Vancouver Giants have acquired 19 year-old goaltender Blaine Neufeld from the Saskatoon Blades. In exchange, the Blades will receive a 5th round pick in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft.

Neufeld is into his third full season in the Western Hockey League. The 6'0", 182 lbs. netminder from Winkler, Manitoba was dealt to the Blades earlier this year after starting his career with the Medicine Hat Tigers.

"With our current goaltending situation, we wanted to bring in a veteran netminder to our organization," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "Blaine comes to the Giants after gaining experience in a winning environment last year and we feel he is an ideal fit for our club this season."

Neufeld will be in the Giants line-up this weekend as they return to action Friday December 1 at home against the Prince George Cougars

Meanwhile, to replace Neufeld, Saskatoon Blades Head Coach and General Manager Lorne Molleken has added 17 year old Saskatoon native Garrett Zemlak from the Notre Dame Hounds of the SJHL. Zemlak who was originally a bantam draft pick of the Calgary Hitmen in 2004 has appeared in 16 games for the Hounds this season compiling a 6-2-1-1 record to
go along with a 3.39GAA.

howley
11-29-2006, 01:25 PM
for a team that was somewhat desperate to pick up a goalie you think they could of got more than a 5th rounder out of them. Who know's.

Redwic
11-29-2006, 01:44 PM
... at least, in recent seasons.

The "price" must have been too high for Tri-City's goaltender, and perhaps the Giants contacted other teams but they wanted too much in return for an experienced goaltender.

Saskatoon must not have gotten the memo, as a 5th Round Pick is nothing for an experienced goaltender whom a team is *desperate* for.

We'll see how Neufeld adjusts to the Giants' winning attitude.

Beaner
11-29-2006, 03:04 PM
This is good news for the Giants as we pick up a golaie for next to no cost.

Tiger9
11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Unfortunately, as a Tiger's fan and having seen Neufeld play, I was glad to see him shipped out of the Hat. He is IMO not a WHL-grade goalie, but he maybe be alright with a strong team like the Giants helping him out.

dj-kris
11-29-2006, 04:47 PM
... at least, in recent seasons.

The "price" must have been too high for Tri-City's goaltender, and perhaps the Giants contacted other teams but they wanted too much in return for an experienced goaltender.

maybe they are waiting to see how the season plays out before dealing their number one goalie

rinkrat
11-29-2006, 07:40 PM

I don't think the Giants were after a #1 type goalie,thats what caused the problems with Slade.They feel Sexsmith can be 1a and Neufield 1b,just like the Sexsmith/Slade situation was.Perhaps playing Sexsmith a bit more if warranted.

Squig
11-29-2006, 09:27 PM
Look at the last few teams that won the memorial cup. All had outstanding goalies that could single handedly win a game for them.

Most teams that are in that tournament have a great goalie - they have to to get there. The only exception is the host team - they are there no matter what.
Last year when you guys were there i didnt think Slade had a good tournament - I thought an upgrade at that position was a shoo in.

I have to be honest and say that i can't remember seeing Sexsmith or Neufeld play so i will hold out judgement till then.

Just seems crazy to me to go into that tournament with a 17 year with little or no big game experience and a 19 year that is unproven.

Tiger Trauma
11-29-2006, 09:48 PM
I thought nuefeld was a decent goalie. I understand he's a real good presence in the locker room, keeping everyone loose.

There were a few times when he let shots beat him that were stopable, but he also has the capability of playing really well.

I think its a good fit for him in vancouver.

dondo
11-30-2006, 12:03 AM
not exactly my dream acquisition, but the price was certainly right. I think Neufeld will be a serviceable goalie, but I don't see Sexsmith splitting 50/50 with him in any way -- I think Sexsmith is the number one and Neufeld the back-up.

Much better than Barnstable and if he's a good in the room kind of guy then the more the better.

Beaner
11-30-2006, 12:19 AM
Just seems crazy to me to go into that tournament with a 17 year with little or no big game experience and a 19 year that is unproven.

Slade was unproven last year, and look where he took the team.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy this need experience stuff that I read people say about getting and winning a championship.

What experience does a Price or Moir, the 2 most popular rumored goalies being traded to Vancouver bring?

Price -- 18 playoff games in 3 years, 7-8-3.
Moir -- 6 playoff games in 3 years 0-4-1

Not much experience in the "big games" if you ask me. Or bad experience is more like it.

If experience is really one of the top factors for winning a championship,then why has no one suggested that Vancouver gets Yeomans from Seattle? He has the experience of being in the big games and taking a team to the Memorial Cup. Might have even won it too, if he didn't get hurt.

Yeomans -- 33 playoff games in 3 years 19-11-2 & a WHL Championship.

Interesting that the only goalie available with a WHL championship isn't even mentioned as a possible trade candidate.

What about Perricone?

He brings experience to the table; hes 12-9-1 in 2 years in playoff games. Now he didn't win the WHL Finals, but at least hes been there, something neither Price nor Moir can state.

Its not that I don't like any of these goalies, I just don't buy the whole experience thing when it comes to getting to winning a championship.

Knuckles Muldoon
11-30-2006, 12:28 AM
This is exactly the kind of goalie I expected we would pick up; a vet who can backup, or carry the ball if Sexy gets injured. I'm fine with this acquisition.

Carebear
11-30-2006, 12:48 AM
Slade was unproven last year, and look where he took the team.

I'm sorry but I just don't buy this need experience stuff that I read people say about getting and winning a championship.

What experience does a Price or Moir, the 2 most popular rumored goalies being traded to Vancouver bring?

Price -- 18 playoff games in 3 years, 7-8-3.
Moir -- 6 playoff games in 3 years 0-4-1

Not much experience in the "big games" if you ask me. Or bad experience is more like it.

If experience is really one of the top factors for winning a championship,then why has no one suggested that Vancouver gets Yeomans from Seattle? He has the experience of being in the big games and taking a team to the Memorial Cup. Might have even won it too, if he didn't get hurt.

Yeomans -- 33 playoff games in 3 years 19-11-2 & a WHL Championship.

Interesting that the only goalie available with a WHL championship isn't even mentioned as a possible trade candidate.

What about Perricone?

He brings experience to the table; hes 12-9-1 in 2 years in playoff games. Now he didn't win the WHL Finals, but at least hes been there, something neither Price nor Moir can state.

Its not that I don't like any of these goalies, I just don't buy the whole experience thing when it comes to getting to winning a championship.

I totally agree.
I personally, have complete faith in Tyson.

bandwagonboy
11-30-2006, 11:14 AM
We'll see how Neufeld adjusts to the Giants' winning attitude.

I don't know how much of an adjustment that will be, he was a back up with the tigers last season, a team if you remember was the #1 team in the league through the regular season.

As for his potential, well the sky is the limit. I've seen him make some unbelievable highlight reel saves, then let a soft one in. I think he has the tools, but we'll see if he can put it all together. Moreover, even though he is 19 he's about as seasoned as most 17 year old goalies. There will be some growing pains for sure, but I think if given the chance he prove out to be starting goaltender material.