PDA

View Full Version : Pats' Parker not panicking

nivek_wahs
11-30-2006, 09:15 AM
From the LeaderPost: http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=6148d0e6-3bf3-4358-80ba-797fcb6c71bb&k=18259

Pats' Parker not panicking

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, November 30, 2006
Brent Parker sounds pretty relaxed for a guy who supposedly has alarm bells ringing in his ears.

The Regina Pats GM has been calmly stomping out fires this week after his underachieving team returned home from a 2-4 showing on its longest road trip of the season.

With the Christmas break a little over two weeks away, Regina sits one game below .500 at 12-13-1-1 -- far from inspiring, but a long way from catastrophic.

"I still think we have a good hockey club, we just need to be more consistent," offered Parker, whose team returns to home ice on Friday night against the Prince Albert Raiders. "We've probably played a little better than our record is, yet we are where we are. Right now we're a .500 hockey club that, I think, is still trying to find an identity."

They're also trying to find the net, with limited success.

Although the Pats have scored in bunches this season -- including wins of 11-3 over Lethbridge and 7-0 against Portland -- they laid a giant goose egg on the road trip by going three straight games without a goal.

Overall, Regina has been shut out five times this season, tied for most in the league with the expansion Chilliwack Bruins.

"I thought we would score a little easier than we have," said Parker. "That was one area we were a little concerned about (before the season). And we haven't played as gritty as I would like to see at times."

Parker took a step toward addressing that concern last month by acquiring hard-nosed forward Mike Reich from the Calgary Hitmen for Ian Duval. Reich has been a positive addition, contributing four goals and four assists in 11 games, but he's not a pure scorer in the ilk of Petr Kalus or Denis Tolpeko.

"Trying to find the type of dynamic offensive player that we probably need is not that easy to do," noted Parker, who has been thwarted in his efforts to acquire another European. "I'd say the chances are probably slim that we'd be able to find someone (to fill an import spot) now. Your pool of guys available is very, very small."

The return of Kalus would certainly fit the bill, but don't count on it. There's no indication that a demotion might be in his future despite scoring just once in 16 games with the AHL's Providence Bruins.

"Our last conversation was that they're happy with him," said Parker. "There has been no change."

Parker has said all along he would gladly make a trade to boost his team's offence, but he won't be pressured into a panic scenario. His main concern is looking out for the present while also being mindful of the future.

Adding to the intrigue, head coach Curtis Hunt suggested after the road trip that changes could become a necessity if the team doesn't turn things around soon. Hunt has already taken matters into his own hands, sitting talented but enigmatic forward Justin Bernhardt in the past two games.

"(Hunt) wants to win and that's why he's a good coach," said Parker. "I think our kids want to win too. We're in a bit of a funk right now, but we'll be fine."

If not, you can expect to see Jan. 10 circled on the Pats' calendar.

That's the date of the WHL trade deadline.

"We're always looking to make our team better," added Parker. "We're exploring some things and we'll see down the road if anything happens.

"I don't think we're that far away."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2006

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
11-30-2006, 02:40 PM
try saying "Pats' Parker not panicking" 5 times as fast as you can.

nivek_wahs
12-01-2006, 02:21 AM
try saying "Pats' Parker not panicking" 5 times as fast as you can.That's pretty much what I thought when I posted the article... It's actually not that bad of a tongue-twister haha.

But in response to the article... I would have to agree with Parker as the team "will be fine." The Pats are only 1 game below .500 and all it would take is to string a few wins together and we could be in first place... with that being said and we have a string of bad games and start to fall off the map, that would be the time to start panicking... Boogaard'd