PDA

View Full Version : T-Birds Moving

scamperdog
12-01-2006, 06:09 PM
T-birds moving to Kent in 2008
By JIM RILEY

Special to The Seattle Times

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/hockey/2003455957_whlnotes01.html

The Seattle Thunderbirds haven't called in the moving trucks just yet, but it's only a matter of time, according to Russ Farwell, owner and general manager.

The T-birds are planning a move 20 miles south to play in Kent beginning in the 2008-09 Western Hockey League season.

The T-birds have lost money five seasons in a row, and Farwell said continuing to play at KeyArena isn't an option.

"Long-term we couldn't keep going with the present lease we have at KeyArena," Farwell said. "There's no Plan B other than Kent because we've signed an agreement and are fully partnered with them. We are planning to play in Kent beginning in 2008."

Farwell said the city of Kent is in the process of interviewing construction companies to build a $50 million, 6,500-seat arena, and the team has full faith it will be completed and be ready for use in October 2008.

"Kent is well past the point of deciding whether they want to build a facility and there's a real momentum with the politicians and citizens to get it done," Farwell said. "It's the perfect-sized facility for junior hockey and a good fit for us and the community."

Farwell isn't sure whether the team will change its name when it moves.

Tonight

Seattle @ Tri-City,

7:05 p.m.
"It's something we haven't talked about yet," Farwell said. "They like the idea of having the Seattle Thunderbirds play in Kent, but it's ultimately something we'll have to look at."

The Thunderbirds, who have a lease with KeyArena through 2007-08, are celebrating their 30th season in Seattle. They first played in the WHL in the 1977-78 season as the Seattle Breakers and changed their name to the Thunderbirds before the 1985-86 season.

On the upswing

The T-birds, fourth in the U.S. Division at 10-7-1-6, play in Kennewick against the Tri-City Americans tonight and return home for a Saturday matchup against the Vancouver Giants.

Fourth place is a position Seattle coach Rob Sumner finds unacceptable.

"We've lost all six of our shootouts and those are points in the standings left on the table, so we can't be happy with where we're at," Sumner said.

However, Sumner said the T-birds are improving, especially on offense.

The upswing has been led by Bud Holloway, a third-round pick of the Los Angeles Kings in last June's NHL entry draft. Holloway has 12 points in his last 11 games and is second on the team with 16 points.

Holloway said a move to the top line to play with leading scorer Aaron Gagnon and Jan Eberle helped his game.

"It was a change of scenery, and sometimes that helps," Holloway said. "We've been playing well, even in the games when we didn't get the results we wanted."

Holloway can't explain his or Seattle's struggles in shootouts.

"Last year it seemed like I couldn't miss in a shootout, and this year I can't even hit the net," Holloway said. "You have to pick the right move."

Note

• The Vancouver Giants acquired Kenndal McArdle, 19, from the Moose Jaw Warriors in exchange for Jason Reese and a second-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft.

McArdle, a first-round pick of the Florida Panthers in last June's NHL draft, has 10 goals and 20 points this season.

B4dotcom
12-01-2006, 09:38 PM
I would be interested to see who is going to pay for the construction as Washington state passed an initiative requiring a public vote to subsidize building a sports arena with tax dollars. If it did come to a vote and failed I wonder what options the T-Birds have. As a side note, I have talked to some people in south king county whom would support the team if they changed their name from Seattle to Kent.

ihlemic10
12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
I think they would keep the Seattle name for Historical reasons and too keep the 'Seattle' market for of fans. Similiar to what the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim did to get both LA people and Anaheim people. Stupid yes, but it works from what I hear.

B4dotcom
12-02-2006, 02:50 PM
I personally wish for them to keep the name but I honestly feel in my opinion that they will try to change the name to gather more support from South King County people who do not attend T-Bird games now. Although only 20 miles difference, in our traffic that can mean an hour to an hour and a half drive. Only time will tell. Another note that was just brought up to me, will they continue to thorw out the Salmon? God, I hope not.

Zamboni John
12-04-2006, 10:38 AM
I can't believe that Seattle would spend over $70 million to remodel an arena and end up with an arena with no anchor tenant or a winter sports team. First, there is nothing wrong with Key Arena for basketball. It is an ideal size for a market the size of Seattle. The Sonics are whining that it is one of the smaller arenas in the NBA, but Seattle is one of the smaller markets. When Key Arena was first being remodeled, we offered a bigger Arena, but the Sonics wanted it kept smaller, given the fact that Seattle was a smaller market. The only thing wrong with Key Arena is that it has an off center hockey rink, which should be easy to remedy. Simply put folding portable risers in the North like every other multipurpose arena in North America, and it would be fine for hockey as well as basketball.
I just don't think that Kent is a good location. Anyone who has lived in the Seattle area knows that the SouthCenter hill is one of the biggest traffic tie-ups in the State and with 6,000 hockey fans heading south, it can only get worse.