PDA

View Full Version : Todd Davidson has passed away

Number_4
12-02-2006, 12:34 PM
I couldnt find the actual press release on the Pats website, but the following was on rod pederson's blog

The Pats issued the following press release this morning..

Davison loses Battle with Cancer

Regina Saskatchewan: It is with heavy hearts and great sadness that we
announce the passing of former Regina Pat Todd Davison. Davison passed away
after a lengthy battle with cancer shortly after 2:00am this morning at home
in Winnipeg with his family by his side.

Todd played for the Pats in the 2002/03 along side his brother Wade and
recorded 2 assists in 49 games. He was affectionately known as "Itty Bitty"
due to his diminutive frame, but it was his big heart that allowed him to
play hockey at the WHL level.

Regina Pats General Manager Brent Parker - "Todd was a tremendous young man
who loved coming to the rink and always had a smile on his face. He touched
everyone who knew him and we will miss him greatly. Our thoughts and our
prayers go out to his family in this very difficult time"

Todd is survived by his Parents Bob and Barb as well as his brother Wade.

Todd established a Charity Foundation last summer to help raise money for
cancer victims in Manitoba called, TD 34 Believe in the Goal; the Pats will
take donations for Todd's foundation tonight at their home game vs the Red
Deer Rebels.

What a sad time for the Davidson family. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

nivek_wahs
12-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Such sad news. You will me missed Todd. My thoughts and prayers are with his family. :(

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-02-2006, 06:21 PM
It is sad to see him go. I remember posting the thread a little while ago with the recent article about him. He was so positive and upbeat, and didnt let the fact that he had cancer get him down. It also appeared that he was winning his battle too. I hope this is mentioned at todays game against the rebels.

He was an inspiration of all of us, and I hope that he wont be forgotten. We will all miss you Todd.

Triton
12-02-2006, 06:30 PM
My condolences to the family and friends of his.

Number_4
12-02-2006, 07:01 PM
I hope this is mentioned at todays game against the rebels.

The Pats are collecting donations for the TD 34 Believe in the Goal fund. Todd set this fund up for other cancer patients in Manitoba.

JDubb
12-03-2006, 12:47 AM
I can't say that I knew Todd, but I had met him on a couple occasions. He always seemed mature and polite beyond his years. He only new one speed, full tilt. It is truly sad to hear of his passing. It is also really too bad for Jesse Deckert to not be able to see him one more time. As much as I never like seeing the Pats lose, it was almost like it for a bigger reason on Friday night for Jesse. I hope his foundation keeps going strong and the name Todd Davison will always be remembered in his community.

My condolences...

Jeremy

Bran
12-03-2006, 11:28 AM
He only spent one season in Regina 3 years ago, and yet, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a Pats fan who doesn't remember him in some way. I don't think you could have spent 5 minutes with this kid and not loved him. He was a little guy with a huge heart, the kind of person that you love to see succeed. It's sad that he's gone, but he leaves behind a huge legacy. He's touched so many people in his short life. It'd be hard to think of him and not smile.

nivek_wahs
12-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Article from: http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=6bdc948a-a3ef-4dbf-9fb6-e0886a1e35a0&k=93184

Former Pat Davison succumbs to cancer

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, December 04, 2006
Todd Davison always had a way of defying the odds.

Known to his teammates as Itty Bitty -- a nickname befitting his underdog stature -- the scrappy 5-foot-8 forward earned a permanent place in the hearts of the Regina Pats during the 2002-03 season.

That one year in Regina epitomized the brief but memorable life of the 20-year-old, who braved the odds again in June of 2004 after being diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in his left shoulder called synovial sarcoma.

Davison lived almost three years with the deadly disease, even returning to the ice briefly in 2004-05 with the AJHL's Lloydminster Blazers, before succumbing to his illness at about 11 p.m. on Friday.

Davison's last hours were spent in his Winnipeg home, surrounded by the people closest to him. Among his final visitors was the father of ex-Pats teammate Jesse Deckert, one of Davison's best friends.

"Todd was just an unselfish fighter," offered Merv Deckert, his voice trembling with emotion. "He fought to wait for Jesse to come home (and say a final goodbye)."

Alas, it was one battle Davison couldn't win.

He died about 90 minutes after Deckert backstopped the Prince Albert Raiders to an emotional 5-4 shootout win over the Pats. The Raiders dedicated their victory to Davison.

Deckert, informed on Friday afternoon that Davison's condition was rapidly deteriorating, had planned to leave for Winnipeg immediately after the game. Due to poor road conditions, the best he could do was fly home Saturday morning -- all the while knowing it might be too late.

"His mom called Jesse after the game and she put the phone to Todd's ear," explained Merv. "I'm sure Todd wasn't coherent at the time. He was heavily drugged with the pain. Near the end, hopefully he didn't suffer too much. He was in very capable hands (with medical staff at his bedside). He died with dignity at home, with family and friends."

The Pats returned to the ice on Saturday night with heavy hearts, beating the Red Deer Rebels 3-0 at the Brandt Centre.

There was a moment of silence before the game, complete with a picture of Davison on the video replay screen, casting a trademark ear-to-ear grin down upon his beloved fans.

"I spent a couple minutes with Jesse Deckert before (Friday's) game," said Pats GM Brent Parker. "Jesse said, 'Brent, you should know how much it meant for him to play here, how special it was.' That meant a lot to me. I think sometimes it takes something like this to step back and really realize how much of a part of your lives these kids are and how much they touch your life.

"I said to my wife, I've been to players' weddings, I've seen their baby pictures, I've got Christmas cards, I've watched them score their first NHL goals, but I never, ever prepared myself to go to a funeral," added Parker, his eyes filling with tears. "He was a remarkable young man. It's not fair."

Those sentiments were echoed by Pats captain Kyle Deck, the only remaining player who was teammates with Davison and his brother Wade in 2002-03. Deck, Davison and Deckert -- all 16-year-old rookies that season -- were good friends.

"Itty Bitty, he played two feet bigger than he was," Deck recalled with a smile. "He put his heart out there every game. It's hard to believe (he's gone). Twenty years old, you have so much to look forward to. Your stomach just drops when you hear that."

Davison will be remembered for his perseverance, a trait which goes hand in hand with his feisty nature.

After numerous surgeries and rounds of chemotherapy -- even surviving an amputation scare -- Davison's condition worsened about six months ago, although he kept the dire prognosis a secret to everyone but his immediate family.

"He didn't want to burden anyone," explained Merv Deckert. "He just wanted to fight it. He had it in his mind that he was going to beat it all along and he did for a long time. He's just an amazing, unique kid. I've told his dad that if my son could turn out to be like his . . . "

Inspired by a meeting with cancer survivor Lance Armstrong, Davison's final months were occupied by his own charitable foundation -- TD 34 Believe in the Goal. He organized a hockey game last summer involving NHL players, raising $50,000 for cancer victims in Manitoba.

The Pats paid a final tribute to their former player on Saturday by accepting donations for Davison's foundation.

"It was his dream and it's going to go on," added Merv Deckert, again fighting back tears. "That's how we're going to remember him."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2006

Bran
12-05-2006, 03:21 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p277/BrannyMuffin/hist_todd.jpg
I've heard of these "Jersey Chairs" before, but had no idea how they began...from http://www.jerseychair.com/history.htm

How Jersey Chair Began

We love hockey and we love the game. We grew up with hockey, we sent our kids through hockey, and we still cart them across the country to watch them play. So, how did this all lead to manufacturing chairs with jerseys?

It all started with a fund raiser at a social (a social is a Manitoba thing where people get together for one good reason or another, have fun, and sell drinks and prize tickets to raise money.) A hometown boy, Todd Davison who played for the Regina Pats of the WHL, contracted cancer that required treatment hundreds of miles away from Winnipeg. He had health coverage personally, but it did not cover travel expenses for his family to be at his side. We decided to make a chair out of his game worn jersey as a prize for this special fund raiser. The chair was a great hit and raised $2900 for the cause. But the best part was seeing the gentleman who won the chair present it back to Todd.

The feedback was positive. We were commissioned to create a "Jets" Jersey Chair for their 50th Anniversary and closing of the Winnipeg Arena. Many of the former hockey players from the Jet's came to town for this event and signed this commemorative chair. We have since been commissioned to create Jersey Chairs for other charitable events such as the Juno Cup Game.

NHLers, proud hockey parents, and others are sending us jerseys to be made into Jersey Chairs to be enjoyed for many years to come. There are many different ways to display your jersey and we've been told that a Jersey Chair is "the most impressive way to display a jersey." It is our goal to manufacture a quality chair using our patent pending design that will present your cherished jersey in a unique way.

patsfan33
12-05-2006, 08:57 PM
no way... guess u do learn something new everyday

WorkHorse
12-06-2006, 09:21 AM
Lloydminster, AB, December 5, 2006 - The Lloydminster Bobcats organization would like to offer our sincere condolences to the family of Todd Davison.

He was a member of the Lloydminster Blazers during the 2003-04 season and even returned to the ice with them during the 2004-05 season after going through treatments for his illness.

Todd was an exceptional young man and a true inspiration to those around him. Our deepest sympathies go out to the Davison family during this very difficult time. Our thoughts and prayers are with them.

Todd's funeral will take place on Thursday, December 7, 2006.

If so desired, memorials in Todd Davison's name can be made to the Believe in the Goal Foundation, a foundation started by Davison to help cancer victims in Manitoba. Memorials can be sent to the following address:

Believe in the Goal Foundation
C/o Winnipeg Police Credit Union
300 William Avenue
Winnipeg, MB
R3A-1P9

Lloydminster Bobcats Organization
bobcats@ajhl.ca
Phone # (780) 871-0900

Bran
12-12-2006, 04:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73CXXcaG148

At the end of Coach's Corner on December 9, Don Cherry talked a bit about Todd. You can hear his voice crack a bit at the end. Just goes to show how many lives he's touched.

Fight Guy
12-15-2006, 06:26 PM
I wish it were on their site, but there was a good article on Todd in the National Post.

Bran
12-17-2006, 10:23 PM
What day was that article from? This one was in Friday's Globe and Mail...

All material copyright Bell Globemedia Publishing Inc. or its licensors. All rights reserved.
Undersized left-winger never allowed himself to be intimidated on or off the ice -- even if he 'knew the odds were against him'

Todd Davison was nicknamed "Itty Bitty," which only proves how first impressions linger no matter how large one's actions or character.

"Itty Bitty" was gritty, a left-winger at least six inches smaller and 40 pounds lighter than most everyone else in junior hockey, which in the Prairies requires skill, but demands unhesitant physical play along the boards. His listed height of 5-foot-8 from his one major junior season (2002-03) with the Regina Pats would be accurate only if he was wearing skates while measurements were taken. If he really was 162 pounds, he must have been the only Pat weighed in full uniform.

"He was always kind of small," says goaltender Jesse Deckert, a Pats teammate in 2002-03, and now with the Western Hockey League's Prince Albert Raiders. "He was a spark plug, a speedster; those little legs would go a million miles a minute. And he could get under the other guys' skin easily. He never backed off from anybody, wasn't afraid to fight or do anything."

In the spirit of undersized prairie rink rats like Bobby Clarke and Theoren Fleury, Mr. Davison refused to be intimidated. "Even if I was smaller, they weren't getting any free shots at me," he once said. "So if that meant a slash in the legs or a punch in the corner, they deserved it. I wasn't backing down and that carried me a long way."

Many a small athlete has overcompensated for his size by carrying a chip on his shoulder both on and off the playing area. Mr. Davison's attitude, however, was multi-faceted: aggressive in action, humble and considerate in social and personal matters. Kevin Benson, who coached Mr. Davison and Mr. Deckert with the Midget AAA Winnipeg Sharks, noted how the little winger possessed special qualities even before they joined forces.

"I knew Todd was one of our stronger players coming through the bantam ranks -- tough as nails, very rugged, not dirty at all, just determined to move up. I had a sense he'd be with us," Mr. Benson says. "What was interesting, though, was that most bantam players of that calibre usually assume that they'll be on the midget team whereas Todd, at 14, carried himself with humility. He was already mature beyond his years.

"He led by example on the ice and in the dressing room, although he was only 15 and an age-advanced (bantam-eligible) player, he had no trouble speaking his mind, and still got along with everyone and was supported by everybody."

An example of his leadership occurred in the Western Regional playoffs for the national midget championship in 2002. Facing the East Manitoba Selects, who had earlier beaten the Sharks for the Manitoba title, Mr. Davison took a thoughtless penalty at the end of the second period with the score tied 3-3. After East Manitoba scored on the power play and Mr. Benson gave his little leader a tongue lashing, Mr. Davison scored the next two goals to put the Sharks ahead 5-4 and spark the victory.

Another inspirational moment was not so glorious, but typical of Itty-Bitty's resolve.

"We were with the Manitoba team at the (2003) Canada Winter Games and got eliminated from the medal round by Sidney Crosby and Nova Scotia," Mr. Benson relates. "So we're stuck with playing for seventh place against New Brunswick, what could be considered a meaningless game, and most of our team has been hit with the Norwalk flu. O Canada is being played and I notice only three of my six starters are on the ice. Two of them are sitting on the bench with their heads down between their legs, and finally I spot Todd bending over a bucket, being sick. Then he jammed on his helmet and got down to business. That's the type of kid he was. We wound up winning that one."

In April 2002, Mr. Davison sustained what he thought was a jammed shoulder in an on-ice collision. Mr. Benson believes the two years of stiffness and the player's meagre production with the Pats (no goals and two assists in 48 games) and Lloydminster Blazers (five goals and seven assists in 45 games) of the Tier 2 Alberta Junior Hockey League indicate the early, undetected stages of cancer that deprived Mr. Davison of his full speed and energy. It wasn't until two days after his 2004 graduation from St. Paul's High School in Winnipeg that he was diagnosed with synovial sarcoma in his left shoulder.

Like any hockey player, Mr. Davison had some revealing statistics: Seven months of treatment and rehabilitation. Two goals in his first game back with Lloydminster. Eight total games before a relapse made him stop playing; five surgeries; six weeks of radiation treatment; 11 months of chemotherapy.

He remained active, taking classes at the University of Manitoba, working part time, advocating for cancer research, staging a celebrity hockey game in Winnipeg that raised $50,000, and serving as assistant coach to Mr. Benson on the Midget AAA Winnipeg Thrashers.

"Todd knew the odds were against him coaching next season, or even finishing this season," Mr. Benson says, "but he asked hundreds of questions. He wanted to be a better coach even if it was only for the sake of next week. He was behind the bench with us five days before he died."

Todd Davison was born Sept. 30, 1986, in Winnipeg. He died of cancer on Dec. 2, 2006 in Winnipeg. He leaves his parents Barb and Bob, and brothers Joel and Wade.

Credit: SPECIAL TO THE GLOBE AND MAIL

Fight Guy
12-18-2006, 05:34 AM
OHHHHHH!!!! It was definetly in the Globe and Mail...lol. Thanks for posting that.