PDA

View Full Version : Trade Deadline

Flathead
12-03-2006, 10:43 AM
When is the trade deadline? Are there any teams that are going to right the season off an unload for next year? What teams are going to load up and make a run this year? With MJ trading McCardle have they started looking at next year already?

Beaner
12-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Usually its around the second week of January.

HAF
12-03-2006, 01:46 PM
The date I was told was January11th.

CatFan
12-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Moose Jaw isn't done, and probably Saskatoon could make some moves as well. Will Chilliwack unload some older players and go for more draft picks? How about Kelowna? I'm pretty sure the Tigers won't make any moves, they just need to play their best and they have no weaknesses. I don't want to lose our young talent either.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-03-2006, 06:44 PM
The rebuilding teams( POR, LET, KEL, CHI, PA, SC, SK, MJ) probably wont make any additions, but might trade away some guys for picks, but thats probably it.

The top teams( MH,EVE,KAM,TRI,) will probably just try and stock up for a run in the playoffs. Vancouver still needs a top goalie, and Red deer needs an offensive Defencemen.

Im not sure about the teams in between might do.

I could see the possiblity of the pats and red deer making a trade. Maybe something like deck, a pick, and maybe a 3rd liner for starkov, and an OA (maybe moore)to make room for deck. Pats need a number one, pure offence forward, while red deer needs a Offensive minded d-men.

Starkov could be the offensive player the pats are looking for, and we do have a euro spot open, so we could make room easily. Deck is capable of being a decent offensive defencemen, which red deer really needs. He may have not been offensive at all so far this season, because it might be that he needs a fresh start somewhere else.

Raiderfan8
12-03-2006, 07:05 PM
The only guys the Raiders have to give up are a couple of 20 year olds in A.J. Thelen and Mike Hellyer. Im doubting any teams will take 20 year olds tho.

SectionNDeserter
12-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Starkov could be the offensive player the pats are looking for, and we do have a euro spot open, so we could make room easily. Deck is capable of being a decent offensive defencemen, which red deer really needs. He may have not been offensive at all so far this season, because it might be that he needs a fresh start somewhere else.Oooh, an undrafted, overage guy with 3 points for a 19 year old drafted guy with 31 points, and we could get another 3rd liner! Replace Deck with Pyett and you might be on to something(though I don't see Sutter moving either of his imports).

Raiderfan8
12-03-2006, 08:03 PM
I can see A.J. Thelen being a good fit for Vancouver. They need an overager.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Oooh, an undrafted, overage guy with 3 points for a 19 year old drafted guy with 31 points, and we could get another 3rd liner! Replace Deck with Pyett and you might be on to something(though I don't see Sutter moving either of his imports).

OK....

We all know that stats do not mean everything right now.

For one thing, Deck mustered up 42 points last year, and is definitely capable of doing it again. He has just had a slow start, along with starting the season with knee problems. His stats right now dont show his performance either.

Another thing is that having Hanzal around kind of inflated starkovs numbers. Tonights a good example. Guess who set Starkov up on each of his goals? You guessed it. I doubt its the first time thats happened, or the last time it will happen.

I doubt highly that Starkov would have 3/4 the points he has now without Hanzal. Dont get me wrong, he definitely has skills, but you cant tell me it would be a fair deal if it was Pyett, one of the leagues top offensive dmen, for starkov, Hanzal's "partner in crime" :laugh:.

Pyetts got 1 more, maybe even 2 more seasons left with the team, while starkov is most likely in his last season. Even if this has pyetts last season, he is still a more valuable player.

What I am trying to say is that Starkov is still a wanted player, but is not as valuable as you make him out to be. I just thought that it was likely that sutter would sacrifice some of the offence up front, for a defencemen that isnt a big, stay at home type, and can put up some points on the board. The 3rd liner thing was just an idea to make it fair, along with a pick, not something we are trying to get rid of. Pats get more offence up front, and rebels get some on D. Both teams would gain soemthing they need, and both teams would become stronger without losing too much.

But thats just my opinion, I guess.

SectionNDeserter
12-03-2006, 11:09 PM
For one thing, Deck mustered up 42 points last year, and is definitely capable of doing it again.And still managed to end up being a minus player with all those points, and around -60 on his WHL career. And didn't he almost retire due to his knee injury(s) at the end of the season last year?

Another thing is that having Hanzal around kind of inflated starkovs numbers....I doubt highly that Starkov would have 3/4 the points he has now without Hanzal.I have watched him in 20+ games so far this season, how many for you? 1? 2? He is a good skater, it is almost impossible to strip the puck from him, and he has a laser of a wristshot. He gets some of his goals on feeds from Hanzal, but a lot of his goals so far have been on individual efforts.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-03-2006, 11:40 PM
And still managed to end up being a minus player with all those points, and around -60 on his WHL career. And didn't he almost retire due to his knee injury(s) at the end of the season last year?

I never heard about retirement from injury with deck, thats news to me.

As for being -1 last year, if you look at most of the other players on that team, they are in the minuses too, and he is on the higher end of the team on the Plus/Minus. Lets remember too that the -28 was on the 12 win pats squad of 2004-05, and the 2003-04 was his rookie year on a below .500 team. Either way, it doesnt really matter. If your not interested in the trade proposal, thats fine with me. Not a big deal.

SectionNDeserter
12-03-2006, 11:55 PM
I never heard about retirement from injury with deck, thats news to me.Post from last season (http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=5584&highlight=deck+knee)

Tidball
12-04-2006, 01:19 AM
Dont Hanzal and Starkov both play the same position. Thus the "Starkov wouldnt score without Hanzal" routine doesnt make much sense.

dondo
12-04-2006, 01:43 AM
Joey Kenward was saying on the radio tonight that the trade deadline was (or will be) January 10th.

peatfan
12-04-2006, 03:34 AM
Being a Hitmen fan I would love that trade with Regina for Deck but I don't think that is going to happen. HAnzel is a center while Starkov plays the wing (right I think). They were playing with Sutter but that was at the start of the year. I like Starkov and he is tough to strip the puck off. Hanzel is much better of the two but that is a great 1-2 punch.
As far as the Hitmen goes I wouldn't mind an experienced d as long as the price isn't too high. Thelan would look nice on the blueline and he could replace LeBlanc as an overage. LeBLanc is injured now and the team hasn't missed him. Maybe we can trade him back to Brandon for Kohn(my wish list). We have 3 lines that can score and some good young blueliners (Stone is going to be awesome, Alzner, Plante & Plouffe) and two good young goalies. We not only have a chance this year but will have 19 players back for next year. nhl3 nhl3 nhl3 nhl3 nhl3 nhl3 nhl3

Rebel66
12-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Being a Hitmen fan I would love that trade with Regina for Deck

I bet you would!

Sutter would have to seriously lose his mind to even contemplate that one. Not...going...to...happen...

The Rebels do need help on defense for sure (weird saying that as it's usually help on offence) but that is not the help they need. I would look for Sutter to pull off a deal or two before the deadline though. He always does. What does Moose Jaw have to offer? ;)

witness
12-04-2006, 08:59 AM
Nor will the Pats trade Deck.
His knee will be re-evaluated later this week. If there is significant damage and the same knee, I would not be surprised to see Deck call it a career.
The Pats don't need a rental player for the rest of the year, they need a couple of 19 year olds that can score 15 - 20 goals.

RDRebelsfan
12-09-2006, 02:18 AM
The rebuilding teams( POR, LET, KEL, CHI, PA, SC, SK, MJ) probably wont make any additions, but might trade away some guys for picks, but thats probably it.

The top teams( MH,EVE,KAM,TRI,) will probably just try and stock up for a run in the playoffs. Vancouver still needs a top goalie, and Red deer needs an offensive Defencemen.

Im not sure about the teams in between might do.

I could see the possiblity of the pats and red deer making a trade. Maybe something like deck, a pick, and maybe a 3rd liner for starkov, and an OA (maybe moore)to make room for deck. Pats need a number one, pure offence forward, while red deer needs a Offensive minded d-men.

Starkov could be the offensive player the pats are looking for, and we do have a euro spot open, so we could make room easily. Deck is capable of being a decent offensive defencemen, which red deer really needs. He may have not been offensive at all so far this season, because it might be that he needs a fresh start somewhere else.

you gotta be ****TING me if you think that Sutter will trade an OA )(Moore, Vandermeer, Henry) AND Starkov for deck, a pick and a 3rd liner. Give me a break!!

RDRebelsfan
12-09-2006, 02:21 AM
And still managed to end up being a minus player with all those points, and around -60 on his WHL career. And didn't he almost retire due to his knee injury(s) at the end of the season last year?

I have watched him in 20+ games so far this season, how many for you? 1? 2? He is a good skater, it is almost impossible to strip the puck from him, and he has a laser of a wristshot. He gets some of his goals on feeds from Hanzal, but a lot of his goals so far have been on individual efforts.

yep here's another Rebels fan that confirm that for you. Hanzal is better overall. But imo Starkov is a better goal scorer.

GBG BLEED BLUE
12-09-2006, 10:21 AM
The Blades will have to pick up a defencemen because they only have 6 defencemen.

Is there a defencemen out there that is not getting ice time??

The Blades could use another one and I do not know about the forwards,I do not know if any 19 year olds are available,but the Blades have some players they could trade but if that does not happen then I do not know where the Blades are going to get their 20 year olds from? I hope that they do not just get the other teams extra players but that could happen.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-09-2006, 03:12 PM
you gotta be ****TING me if you think that Sutter will trade an OA )(Moore, Vandermeer, Henry) AND Starkov for deck, a pick and a 3rd liner. Give me a break!!

:)

well... you see.. this would have looked alot better if deck was playing like he was last season, after all, you guys could use an offensive defenceman. The only reason I said anything about throwing an OA in is because Deck is an OA and he would not fit if there was already 3, not because Im a retarded homer fan or anything. AT THE TIME, I thought that both teams would benefit(Regina getting more offence upfront, and red deer getting an offensive minded defencemen), but I guess that isnt the case.

Its already been established before that this isnt a happy deal for red deer, I think that thats enough about my proposal, being we got a second euro spot filled now.

I DONT NEED STARKOV ANYMORE! HAHAHAA!

Jimmypop316
12-09-2006, 03:51 PM
If the chiefs go for anything, its going to be a younger defenceman. Going to lose Zim most likely to the AHL next year.. and I don't really see Mercer taking up the OA spot at this point.