PDA

View Full Version : Bernhardt at home waiting for trade

nivek_wahs
12-04-2006, 07:11 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=702

Bernhardt home waiting for trade

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Monday, December 04, 2006

The Regina Pats are done waiting for their stormy co-existence with Justin Bernhardt to blow over.

Bernhardt's tenure with the WHL club reached a long-expected conclusion on the weekend when he was sent home by GM Brent Parker to await a trade. The 18-year-old Yorkton native had been listed as a healthy scratch for three straight games.

"It wasn't one incident or anything else," Parker explained following Saturday's 3-0 win over the Red Deer Rebels. "(It was the continual) head butting between him and the coaches and myself in terms of trying to get him where we needed him to be and where we thought he could be in order to help us. It just came to the point where we felt a change of scenery would probably be good for him, so we decided to pursue that."

The Pats often defended their patience with Bernhardt, a 6-foot-1, 190-pound right winger who has the talent to become one of the WHL's elite scorers. However, it was a lackadaisical attitude towards defence that consistently got him in hot water with head coach Curtis Hunt.

He had been benched, scratched and demoted to the fourth line on numerous occasions. By the time the Pats returned home last week from their West Coast road trip, the damage was finally deemed irreparable.

"There's no question Justin is a good hockey player, loads of talent," said Parker. "But (his departure) is not disappointing in the aspect that we are really preaching a team concept and we need everybody to be on side with what we're trying to do. We're working hard to get to that point."

Bernhardt will be remembered as one of the most enigmatic players to wear a Pats' uniform in recent years -- but also one of the more likable characters.

"I don't know if it can ever be a pleasant parting, but I would say it was," Parker said. "We had a good meeting. He wished us luck and I wish him luck too. I don't dislike Bernie. I told him if I disliked him he would have been gone three years ago. Hopefully a change of scenery is going to be good for him and it will improve our hockey club too."

The price tag is subject to debate.

Anyone who kicks the tires on a deal for Bernhardt will have to weigh the pros of his obvious upside against the cons of his excess baggage.

"There are a lot of teams interested, it's just a matter of finding something that fits," said Parker. "I'm confident we'll get something done here in the next two or three days."

Bernhardt, a second-round pick in the 2003 WHL bantam draft, cracked the Pats' lineup as a 16-year-old in 2004-05. He had a breakout campaign in 2005-06 -- 22 goals and 45 points in 61 games -- but was also a healthy scratch on several occasions for a variety of discipline-related issues, including curfew and falling behind on school work.

Bernhardt's reputation caught up to him last summer when, despite being a highly rated prospect, he was passed over during the 2006 NHL entry draft. He eventually landed a free-agent tryout with the San Jose Sharks and appeared to be turning a corner.

Although his on-ice contribution dipped this season with seven goals and 10 assists in 25 games, there were no reports of off-ice problems.

"We haven't had any issues that way this year; he has been good," added the GM. "There's a little bit of irony (in his departure) in that we haven't had that. I'm glad. I think Justin has matured. I hope it's going to work out for both sides."

witness
12-05-2006, 01:12 PM
I wonder if we could put Todd Davidson's heart in Bernhardt's body??
That would be a hockey player.

patsdude114
12-05-2006, 08:02 PM
There has been nothing wrong with Bernharts play this season, he never seems to play with anyone with a offensive upside playing along side Lind alot of the time, I would of loved to have seen Berny play with K.Ross or Festerling alot more then he had. Bernhart is a good player when put with offensive players (like last season played alot with Kalus) if i was Berny i would be putting up a stink also playing 3rd line alot with 1 of the most offensive protential we have on our team especially for a 18 yr old.

I know a trade will be great for Berny he will go to a team that will use him the way we should be using him. Berny has been in Hunts doghouse and his doghouse is 1 of the hardest to get out of just ask McGillvery.

nivek_wahs
12-06-2006, 05:08 AM
There has been nothing wrong with Bernharts play this season, he never seems to play with anyone with a offensive upside playing along side Lind alot of the time, I would of loved to have seen Berny play with K.Ross or Festerling alot more then he had. Bernhart is a good player when put with offensive players (like last season played alot with Kalus) if i was Berny i would be putting up a stink also playing 3rd line alot with 1 of the most offensive protential we have on our team especially for a 18 yr old.Hmmm... I will have to disagree with you. Many games for the first part of the year he was playing alongside Hulak, Festerling, K. Ross and even Eberle for spells (look at the summaries as to who got points on goals involving Bernhardt). To me it just looked like he was here just to be here. He looked like he was hardly breaking a sweat while others were working hard to do what is best for the TEAM. That was when his icetime was decreased and ended up playing on the checking line... maybe Hunt wanted Justin to work his way back to the top line(s) but he ended up doing the opposite and is now at home.

He is a gifted playmaker and has some amazing skill. If he was to put his mind to it he could easily be a top tier player in the WHL. He could and would make the players around him better. I guess it just won't happen here.

I know a trade will be great for Berny he will go to a team that will use him the way we should be using him. Berny has been in Hunts doghouse and his doghouse is 1 of the hardest to get out of just ask McGillvery.Jordan had 2 goals in 16 games as an overager... So when they cut him loose (I liked him and his character) it gave players like Duval and Bernhardt much more icetime. Please explain (seeing as I apparently know nothing about the game of hockey)...

nivek_wahs
12-06-2006, 05:11 AM
I wonder if we could put Todd Davidson's heart in Bernhardt's body??
That would be a hockey player.I will have to agree 100% with you on this one.

(Rest in peace Itty Bitty... TD34)

Tiger Trauma
12-06-2006, 07:10 PM
A poster on the white board said, a blockbuster trade will be anounced tomorow?..I guess we'll wait and see

patsfan33
12-06-2006, 10:35 PM
hmmm...wonder what this is all about :confused:

Dwight Schrute
12-06-2006, 10:42 PM
guess we will have to wait and see. if its just bernhardt being traded it aint a blockbuster but it could be a bigger deal

SectionNDeserter
12-06-2006, 10:43 PM
Bernhardt and Pyett for Karey Pieper....

patsfan33
12-06-2006, 11:09 PM
what?! ....is this hypothetical.... i'm lost

SectionNDeserter
12-06-2006, 11:13 PM
I'm just giving SAJ a hard time :D

patsfan33
12-06-2006, 11:14 PM
SAJ?

lol ok....cuz this many supposed trades is getting insane

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
12-07-2006, 12:37 AM
I am the one they call "SAJ". (I guess)

I knew I wouldnt hear the last of that. Though I dont think it was THAT bad(no offence to Pieper of course).

If deck was playing like he was last year, it wouldnt seem so bad....(just my "twisted" opinion)

ANYWAYS.... with this trade, Im assuming that the Mcdonald and elder trade is true.. so that means that if he is gone(sad to see him go, was getting tons better), that I will cry, and that I know if we lose 3 more(or possibly 2 more) players that we should see a whole different team by the 16th.

Lets look at the lineup. Ive marked who I think is untouchable, and who I think could/will go... Blue is (should be)completely untouchable, orange is a huge maybe, red is possible..

Reich - Ross - Eberle
Mcdonald(is he still here?) - Festerling - Leffler
Macdonald - Lind - Jagow
Brownlee - Scott - Snellman

Pyett - Schira
Teubert - N.Ross
Deck - Delahey

Hulak
Bernhardt(probably in deal)
ELDER! (maybe we picked him up to include him ni this trade?)

No idea who we might be trading with, but the real question is what are we trying to acquire? Toughness?(more with elder) Scoring? I hope its only a few extra sticks and pucks, but I dont think that will be the case.

I have a bad feeling that one of our star players is going. I hope it isnt pyett. If its Schira, I will be mad, but if its pyett, i will be furious! Elite d-men down the crapper again? No way! I dont want another albers situation on our hands!

We cant afford to lose much more offence, so if we lose a guy like festy then we can expect that he, along with someone else will bring in a bigger gun, so to speak. Trading bernhardt should get us something good also.

OOH! I feel like a little kid on christmas eve waiting to open presents! I hope that it isnt something that will damage our final product, and I hope we arent trading 6 players for a bunch of draft picks... Either way tommorrow will be interesting.

patsfan33
12-07-2006, 12:43 AM
well i'm not gonna lie...i really wouldn't be suprised if Festy and/or Pyett were involved in this but i guess we'll see...

nivek_wahs
12-07-2006, 01:10 AM
I have a bad feeling that one of our star players is going. I hope it isnt pyett. If its Schira, I will be mad, but if its pyett, i will be furious! Elite d-men down the crapper again? No way! I dont want another albers situation on our hands! "If" one of these guys are traded... wait to see who we are to get in return before we start to judge the deal.. if it is true.

OOH! I feel like a little kid on christmas eve waiting to open presents! I hope that it isnt something that will damage our final product, and I hope we arent trading 6 players for a bunch of draft picks... Either way tommorrow will be interesting.We can't afford to trade 6 players for draft picks..."if" this trade happens it most likely be a 4-for-2 or 3-for-3... Will have to wait and see.

SAJ (new nickname haha) you also mentioned "untouchable" players... I don't know if any of the Pats are in that status... It all depends on what is offered and what would be given in return. After all it is a business.

patsfan33
12-07-2006, 03:24 AM
actually some are untouchable, at the moment...i know of a few who can't be traded until a certain age

how am i supposed to sleep with all this drama.... ugh Boogaard'd