PDA

View Full Version : Rai Awaits Trade

PGFlyfisher
12-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Dec 5 2006

Rai Departs Cougars

PRINCE GEORGE, BC- The Prince George Cougars have announced that Prab Rai has left the team and returned home to await a trade.

Rai and his family came to a decision to leave the Cougars as they were unhappy with the amount of ice time the 2nd year forward was receiving.

“It is our philosophy that a player earns ice time, and it’s not an entitlement. We felt Prab was doing a good job and progressing well. We feel this is an unfortunate situation”, states Cougars GM Dallas Thompson.

YIKES! 2ND PLAYER TO LEAVE THE TEAM IN 1 WEEK. THIS IS NOT GOOD! :(

Beaner
12-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Ok, well what is the deal? Some may say this is the arrogance of some of the younger players in the league, which I do agree with to a degree.

However this is happening way too often in PG.

I think it's time for the league to step in and see what the heck is going on with the management in PG, before this team is completely destroyed.

And if that means that the League takes over day to day operations of the Cougars then so be it. It would be a shame to lose such a potentially good market due to the incompetence of the current ownership group.

scamperdog
12-05-2006, 09:11 PM
Ok, well what is the deal? Some may say this is the arrogance of some of the younger players in the league, which I do agree with to a degree.

However this is happening way too often in PG.

I think it's time for the league to step in and see what the heck is going on with the management in PG, before this team is completely destroyed.

And if that means that the League takes over day to day operations of the Cougars then so be it. It would be a shame to lose such a potentially good market due to the incompetence of the current ownership group.

Well said Beaner, one has to wonder why the league says nothing about what is happening, it is so very clear that the current ownership is incompetened, they change coaches nothing changes in the teams play, when you watch them play, the players look like they are just putting in the motions, one can only feel sorry for the PG fans, they deserve better, Maybe it time for the fans of PG and the City of PG to stand up to Brodski and Co. and change this wants and for all.

Five Hole
12-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Those that see him play regularly, is he getting a raw deal? Never seen him play, but I see he was a 7th rounder in the '04 bantam draft that stuck as a 16 year old...not too often that happens, so he must have improved quite a bit and impressed enough to make the squad. He hasn't exactly got many points (2G, 3A) this year,and maybe that's not why they decide to keep him or not, but it's the old chicken and egg question .... does ice time = production, or does production = ice time? You have to question what good leaving the team is going to do you in terms of making yourself of interest to other teams? Doesn't sound like good advice for his hockey future to me, but hopefully it works out for him. He must have some talent if he stuck as a 16 year old.

scrunt
12-05-2006, 11:58 PM
YIKES! 2ND PLAYER TO LEAVE THE TEAM IN 1 WEEK. THIS IS NOT GOOD! :(

Who was the other player to leave recently?

Sput
12-06-2006, 12:20 AM
Who was the other player to leave recently?

Dan Gendur left earlier this week and was traded to Everett.

Beaner
12-06-2006, 01:21 AM
You have to question what good leaving the team is going to do you in terms of making yourself of interest to other teams? Doesn't sound like good advice for his hockey future to me, but hopefully it works out for him. He must have some talent if he stuck as a 16 year old.

But thats really the point here. Everyone is pretty much in agreement that quiting a team is not a big benifit to yourself and your future in hockey. So why are so many players quitting PG?

Why do the players feel that quitting the Cougars is a better option, and potentially being blacklisted, then sticking it out?

All teams have players quit, but PG seems to have more than it's fair share.

And considering that the only thing that hasn't changed in PG is the upper management someone should be looking into the management of this team, to find out why.

Sput
12-06-2006, 03:15 AM
There's actually two things that haven't changed. One for sure is the upper management, and it would appear that there isn' a lot of hope of that changing any time soon. The second is geography. A lot of players don't want to be on the 'Iron Lung' as much as the Cougars have to, if they have another option. Asking for a trade seems the viable option to most in this situation. If you had the option of switching teams and only having to travel a matter of 2-3 hours for a road trip game, compared to 6-7 (our closest road tgame in Kamloops at 6-7 hours on the bus), and only have the long road trip once or twice a year, what would you choose?

I'm not trying to imply that it is a deciding factor, but it certainly comes into play. Myself, I think its also wishful thinking that the league would take over the running of this team. Does the league actually have the authority to over-run a privately owned business? Even if that business is being run as poorly as this one appears to be run? At least with the purchase offer made this summer, Rick can't come forth later and say no one was interested in buying the team. He had a reasonable offer on the table and he turned it down. It looks like its a 'time will tell' situation, but how much time does PG have left for WHL hockey? :(

smileyjones
12-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Too Bad. I think he's leaving what could have been an excellent situation for himself in the years to come. On an older team all of the younger guys need to wait their turn. Next year Rai, with his talent would have been on the top couple of lines.

A really puzzling move. If you get traded to a contender, you certainly won't get any more ice time. If you get traded to a rebuilding team, losing isn't any more fun than it is in PG and in the future you will have more young guys to battle with for ice time.

I HATE the geography excuse. These guys should be able to use it to their advantage. Visiting teams HATE the long trip up here, which is good. The Cougars should be sitting here licking their chops waiting to run the visitors through the end boards. How'd you feel? Drive 7 hours + on a Bus and know that for your troubles you were going to get skated into the ground and pounded into the boards? As for road trips, it doesn't get any easier as a pro so these players should be better prepared for a grinding schedule. Scouts? So what they don't come. Somehow they found Wishart, Draz & Fuller.

The WHL franchise is poorly run here, but I can't see the team moving. If there are viable local owners, I think Brodsky's only options are to turn the ship around or sell to local interests. I think selling is pie in the Sky. I think we turn it around in the second half, and things take care of themselves.

As for players leaving teams, sometimes kids make selfish, knee jerk decisions that don't make alot of sense. Gendur and Rai were 4th liners. Dustin Slade was a 1(a) goalie who had a chance to start in the mem cup.

Beaner
12-06-2006, 12:33 PM
The second is geography. A lot of players don't want to be on the 'Iron Lung' as much as the Cougars have to, if they have another option.

Yes, the geography is an issue. But I think it's a lot safer for players to say the travel was too much then to say what is really going on with the Cougs Management. Say something bad about the management and you really really hurt your chances of ever getting back in the WHL.

Myself, I think its also wishful thinking that the league would take over the running of this team. Does the league actually have the authority to over-run a privately owned business? Even if that business is being run as poorly as this one appears to be run? (

I'm not sure, but they do have to approve sales of teams, and thus the teams are not as much a private business as other industries. I would think there would be something in the bylaws of the WHL for the league to step in if it was warranted.

Lets not forget that the league has to run together as whole, with whatever is going on in PG to cause all these players to leave, and not even show up, cant be good for the league as a whole.

Section_Z
12-06-2006, 03:40 PM
. Scouts? So what they don't come. Somehow they found Wishart, Draz & Fuller.

Hmmm...
Dan Hamhuis. Eric Brewer. Tyler Bouck. Jon Filewich. Blair Betts. Eric Hunter(twice). and more...
Oh right....Justin Pogge.
I guess the scouts just found all these guys at away games....

No excuses.
PG is a hockey town...if fans had some kind of "Team" to cheer for, even a losing one. They would.

rinkrat
12-07-2006, 03:35 PM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=20399fc2-b34b-4ad4-9926-b0f5d03eede4&p=2

Apparantly Prab Rai was sent home by the Cougars.This is according to Doug McConachie of the Saskatoon StarPhoenix.

Quote ". . . . Prab Rai, 17, has also been sent home by the Prince George Cougars. Rai was 2-3-5 and complained he wasn't getting enough ice time. . . ."

Interesting :spineyes:

Raiderfan8
12-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Is he a decent player?

Sput
12-09-2006, 11:12 AM
For being a later bantam pick (6th round I think) he wasn't bad, and had a huge upside. Speed to burn, fair hands, but with the limited icetime hadn't shown the finish around the net. (not that a lot of Cougars have shown that this year so far) Down side is his size, tall but skinny so he gets pushed off the puck easily, and from stories I've heard, and witnessed, a bit of an arragant jerk to many fans/kids. From talking to 'people' he was benched and relegated to the stands for the later part of the season last year because he decided to drop out of high school. Not sure the reasons for it, but as a 16yo...you really should stay in school.

This move by Prab confused me too. Old team here, definately rebuilding next year, so his ice would be increasing, IF he shows the commitment.

These guys should be able to use it to their advantage. Visiting teams HATE the long trip up here, which is good. The Cougars should be sitting here licking their chops waiting to run the visitors through the end boards. How'd you feel? Drive 7 hours + on a Bus and know that for your troubles you were going to get skated into the ground and pounded into the boards?
Haven't seen this happen in soooo long, but it should be the home game mantra.....finish ALL your checks

PG is a hockey town...if fans had some kind of "Team" to cheer for, even a losing one. They would.
Most fans would cheer, even for a 'losing team' as long as the work ethic is there, and the commitment shown from the head office to the fourth line rookie. Haven't seen a lot of good work ethic, but have seen (or heard) a lot of talking and excuses as to why things are the way they are.

bones
12-17-2006, 01:35 AM
Its too bad that these kids dont realize that their trade value decreases and less teams want to take a chance on a kid when they decide to pack it in and wait at home for a trade.

howley
12-19-2006, 11:33 AM
I believe Jeff Friesen dropped out of school when he played in the dub so he could focus on his hockey and going to the gym. Paid off for him but I wouldn't recommend it.

Five Hole
12-19-2006, 12:28 PM
I believe Jeff Friesen dropped out of school when he played in the dub so he could focus on his hockey and going to the gym. Paid off for him but I wouldn't recommend it.

Neither would most coaches and GM's. The majority of WHL players are never going to make big time money from hockey. What percentage of WHL'ers ever make it to the NHL or AHL? 10%, maybe 15%?
Some kids have Grade 11 and 12 to complete during their WHL career, and lots have Grade 12 to complete. Sure, it's gotta be tough to fit it all in - the homework, the studying, the day to day practice and games routine, the working out, and the huge amount of bus time... oh, and 'ya gotta save a bit of time for the GF ;) :thumb:
..... but while making it to the show (or close to it) is the dream they all chase, many realize they better finish high school too, so that they can take advantage of the paid university they get from playing in the WHL.
Not a bad option to have in your back pocket if, despite your best efforts, the dream doesn't come true.... and in the meantime you're playing the highest level you can for as long as you can nhl

Kristi
12-19-2006, 12:35 PM
T-Birds trade Chad Hohmann to Cougars

Seattle, December 19, 2006 - Seattle Thunderbirds General Manager Russ Farwell today announced the team has acquired right wing Prab Rai from the Prince George Cougars in exchange for left wing Chad Hohmann.

“Prab is a player who has shown promise in the league,” said Farwell. “He has good speed and experience and we expect he can step right in and help us this year.”

Rai, from Surrey, British Columbia, has played 24 games for the Cougars this year. He has five points on two goals and three assists with a plus/minus rating of zero and 12 penalty minutes.
Last season, his first in the WHL, Rai had five goals in 38 games for the Cougars. He also had a plus/minus rating of zero and 15 penalty minutes.

Hohmann has played eight games this year with the T-Birds. He had no points, a plus/minus rating of minus-2 with 10 penalty minutes.

“Chad was just not getting the opportunity to play regularly with us,” said Farwell. “We think he will get the chance to play more and develop his game with the Cougars.”