PDA

View Full Version : I am not happy.

Knuckles Muldoon
12-06-2006, 01:31 AM
And when I am not happy, I tend to make long posts. Maybe you'd like to head to the fridge and grab a snack, because this is going to take a while.

The game tonight against Tri-Cities was NAUSEATING.
I would like to absolve the following players who played hard and well and gave the requisite effort tonight: Michal Repik, Mario Bliznak, Brett Festerling, Milan Lucic, Brent Regner, Jon Blum.

Now, let's have some fun.

What the hell is wrong with this team? They played like they did not give a damn if they won or lost. It was sickening. After two losses in a row, and three in their last four games, it would seem like a Tuesday game at home against TC would provide the opportunity to right the ship. But the players didn't care. This team has gotten so blase and lazy, its maddening. They just aren't interested in working hard it seems. If it isn't a paint-by-the-numbers win against some lousy team, they appear disinterested. They've taken winning for granted, except now they're not winning anymore. It's very disappointing watching this once hard-working team cut corners routinely these days. They look no better than the Giants of 2002-2003 right now, and that is a sad commentary. I don't enjoy calling players out, but against better judgement, I'm going to do it.
Tim Kraus - Well, we've returned to the lazy, non-committed Tim of years past. Apparently Tim seems to feel like his place as the #1 centre is his God-given right and not the privilege that it truly is. Tim has a ton of talent, but it is very obvious that at times he relies solely on that talent to do his bidding for him, and he avoids putting in the work ethic and leadership to go along with it. There are times when I just hate his eye-rolling, argue-with-the-ref BS, like he's above it all. If he doesn't want to be here, I wish he'd lets Bones know soon so that he has a chance to ship Tim's moody ass out of here. Because as a #1 centre, he often sets a horrible example of effort and commitment, and when it happens, its very noticeable. And I'm sick of it.
Cody Franson - No points in the last 5 games, and a ton of turnovers with the puck. And how about that brutal read on TC's second goal tonight? A mickey-mouse effort at best. The game has become too easy for Cody here, and he has become mentally lazy. He doesn't play with an edge at all; it's all auto-pilot for him. And he's not improving as a player, and in fact, is regressing. And as the best player in the Giants lineup, if he doesn't want to take ownership of the performance of the PP, maybe its time to sit his lazy ass down for a while. For all his immense talent, his points and his status in this league, he has under-performed very noticeably this season.
Brendan Mikkelson - After trying to give him every benefit of the doubt, its clear that Brendan is an overrated player. His problem is that his legs, hands and brain all work at different speeds. A big, strong guy who can skate like him should have the league by the balls, but his play in general leaves me cold. Million-dollar legs, two-dollar hands and a ten-cent brain. I hope he doesn't blow his signing bonus too quickly, because when Anaheim figures out he isn't an NHL-calibre player, he could be a lifer in the AHL. He's become the Giants giveaway king.
Kyle Lamb - Usually, I have no qualms about his play. He can skate, score a bit, pass the puck well, throw some hits, kill penalties and work hard. But as a 20 year-old, when the team needs to step up its performance after a few losses, he has to be front and center; it comes with the territory. He was a no-show tonight. His line with Czibere and Machacek was invisible. They could have all stayed home and played Yahtzee for all they did out there. The effort was embarrassing.
Spencer Machacek - What has happened to him? Last year, he was my favourite player with his endless hustle and dedication to doing the dirty work. But I guess Spencer doesn't do windows anymore. Or floors. Or anything else. He has all but disappeared this season. Very diasappointing. He used to throw more hits in a game than he now throws in a month. He looks like a run-of-the-mill 12-goal scorer this year. I hear he's a smart kid. Obviously smart enough to read all the nice press clippings he received last year. Because that's what he's living off of, not anything he's doing on the ice these days, that's for sure. If he doesn't pick it up and fast, he's going to be VERY disappointed being a lower-round draft pick.
Mitch Czibere - He started the year nicely playing with confidence, skating like the wind and handling the puck well. But slowly over time he's regressed to being the same non-descript player he was last year as a 16 year old. The only thing he's doing these days is greasing the skids for his exit as tradebait for someone who can be more useful come playoff time.
Kenndal McArdle - Disappointed in his play so far. I always thought he was a thick body who was a load to handle. So far he's getting knocked around like a 9 year old girl. I haven't seen much offensive flair yet, either. I'll give him time, but he may not be the last upgrade we need to make up front. Quite simply, we will need a lot from him this year and suddenly, I'm not sure he has what we need.
John Flatters - Still runs around, still don't want to see him on the ice in a close game. We could use an upgrade here.
JD Watt - He's in and out. As a 19 year old, he'd better find a way to be 'in' more often than 'out', goals aside. There's no taking nights off for this guy. Again, it comes with the territory of being a very capable vet.
Garet Hunt - His play has tailed off. If he doesn't bust his can every night, he's not particularly useful. That's just the way it is when you're 5'8" with not much talent.
Tyson Sexsmith - He's running with the ball now. Unfortunately, he looks like he's fumbling it. If he doesn't step up, Kyle Moir will have him relegated to the bench come January 10.
Overall, this team has taken several steps back since the first few weeks of the season. The once-vaunted Giants forecheck doesn't exist anymore. What once was a pack of rabid dogs is now a pack of middle-aged spaniels who keep looking for the next guy to do the dirty work. And the PP is a mess. I wish Don would drop the '80-foot pass to a guy who's standing still at the opposition blueline' play. Springing a pass to a guy who's standing still doesn't work. I think there's a law of physics that proves that.
As well, I've decided that I don't need to see Kenton Dulle anymore. I'd just prefer we dress James Wright every night to get experience under his belt. He's a key to the future, and I'd just as soon see him as opposed to an 18 year old who tries, but doesn't accomplish anything.
And from what I hear, the Everett Silvertips are only getting better and better. Their D is impenetrable, they've got a hellacious 16 year old, plenty of scoring, a great goalie, and a coach who won't let them forget how badly the Giants swatted them aside last year in the playoffs. They're not looking too satisfied, and are setting a benchmark of play that the Giants right now would need a telescope to see.
Time to step it back up, boys. Or you'll be very surprised at how quickly this season could vanish down the drain. Not to mention the extreme embarrassment that would go along with it.
Maybe, just maybe, its time to trade some player away who thought his position on this team was set in stone. I think that'd make a fine reality check.
/rant

dondo
12-06-2006, 02:48 AM
applause

well well -- you I like -- and I agree to a point -- I'll add Flatters as a D-man who's disappointing me, poor give-aways, and some really dumb decisions at times, and not too quick on the tootsies. I do not like the Franson/Flatters combination at all.

I thought Lucic and Watt floated most of the night except for a couple of times. I want to see Michal get a bit dirtier as well -- but I love watching him play.

Festerling was stand-out for me tonight and though I usually don't notice him (as he's just playing his steady defensive game), I noticed him tonight and all in good way.

Now it sounds like sour grapes for us to rail and rant like this after a couple of losses, but its more what you said about cutting corners, and not playing up to their levels and not being royally pissed off that they have lost three straight. You could tell Hay was pretty pissed tonight during his interview.

dj-kris
12-06-2006, 03:59 AM
Dammit by the time we play them at the end of the month they will be out of their funk.

Swando
12-06-2006, 04:38 AM
All I can say is this:

# 1 I liked what you wrote Knuckles - it's how most of us probably feel. We have been spoiled for a year now.

#2 These are kids.. and I don't care what anyone says ..I think that they are playing to many games in a short period of time. I'm not being sympathic but when 1/3 of team is playing for Canada and their coach has not had a practise with them for over a week --it takes it's toll. 4,5 games in 6 nights plus travel is a ***** I'm sure.

3# Could it be that our big 2 D - Franson and Mikellsen are shying away from contact and playing it cautious not to get injured? I hope not as they will not get a sniff at the WJ camp if they don't play D.

4 Repik --he is the best forward out there. Goes along the boards and turns on a dime. I think that the others can't keep up to him. He really wants to impress the scouts this year.

5. McCardle is dog tired and has not had a practise with the team/Hay to really learn the system. Giants are like a machine with interchangable parts and I think that Kenddal has not learned this at all. Not his fault. I can see his style of play like the free wheeling Warriors that lost 4 straight to the Giants last year.

6 It's unfortunate and I never wanted to say this but Slade hurt the team from not playing but for not having Sexsmith to have some competion. Goalies are a different breed and a sound mental state is most important. Tyson knew he had a fall back if he did not play well. Now he doesn't.

7. Machachek was playing with the kids tonight for several shifts. Was Hay sending a message.

8 I agree Kraus was a disappointment tonight

Summary. I think we got off to a great start and are coming down to earth.
We are a 650-750 team not a 900. Once the boys realize this they may bring thier game up a notch agains the better teams. Look out for the next month however with maybe 5 gone. Lets not be to hard on those that are left.

Kristi
12-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Great post Knuckles!! I like when fans can make a post like that and back it up with what they think not just a bunch of fluff.

smileyjones
12-06-2006, 08:27 PM
You could be a long suffering PG Cougars fan with a management team that couldn't figure out how to stage a 2 car parade.

Count your lucky stars you've got what you do. And remember, if you're frustrated now next year will be rebuilding time!!

scrunt
12-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Great post, Knuckles. I was a bit wound up last night too, and decided to take a day and see how I felt after some reflection.

I suppose what concerned me most about last night, and on other occasions but with less obviousness, was the weakness of our forecheck. Last year, the thing I loved most about the team was that we had by far the best forecheck I has ever seen. Maybe a quarter to a third of the time that we lost control of the puck in the offensive zone, we would take it away again before the other team got past centre ice.

The 2-1-2 forecheck meant that their D-men were always at risk of giving up the puck, and often did, leading to a Giants scoring chance. Even when the other team beat the forecheck, the forwards were staying close or turning back, so there were few full speed rushes down ice. It got to the point where a lot of teams would simply dump the puck off the glass into the neutal zone, and we would set up and bring it right back in. In Your Face!

Lately, however, as soon as we lose the puck on the offensive zone, the Giants retreat like hell to the bench or the neutral zone, and one lone forechecker drifts back in to stand in the hash marks and follow the play back up ice. If the lone forechecker does go after the puck carrier, the puck is passed to the unchecked D partner and the puck moves up ice just as easily.

What was once a dominant advantage to our system has disappeared, and been replaced by a dull, cautious wimpy-**** five player retreat. I cannot believe that this about-face from last year to this year has occurred because of the personnel changes (Czibere, Machachek and Bliznak were the leaders in this last season, and are still around), or the rule changes (if anything, the new rules should improve the forecheck effectiveness since D-men cannot - in theory at least - run interference on the forecheckers).

Other things that are really bothering me are the lack of agggressiveness on the PK (we no longer even try for the odd shorthanded goal, whereas last year we were a constant counter-attack threat) and the way our D play patty-cake with the puck along the blueline on the PP. We seem to be giving up a lot of SH goals this year, and it's due to the huge risks we are taking on the offensive blueline.

Now, far be it from me to question Don Hay, as he is clearly one of the best Junior coaches of all time, but as far as I can tell, the issues I have raised are more likely to be based on the systems the players are being instructed to use, rather than the players not following the program.

Where oh where has the great forecheck gone?
Oh where oh where can it be?
With our offence cut short,
And our win streak long gone,
Oh where oh where can it be? :(

Big Ern
12-06-2006, 09:11 PM
HAHAHAHAHEE HEE HEE HEE HUU HU HUU HU HUU HA HO HO HO HA HA HAHAHAHAHAHAhaha HE HEE HEE HE

Do you agree now that Kyle Moir might have been a good choice instead of Blaine Neufeld? Now that Tysie is feeling the pressure, he's not doing so well, is he? HAhahahahahahuu huu hu huu hee he hee he hee haha hohohoho!!!
Send Brendan Mikkelson down here to Swifty, and we'll send Moissy up there to Vancouver. HAhahaheheheee

Redwic
12-06-2006, 09:43 PM
Your team isn't even to the midway point of the season, and they still have a fantastic record. There is plenty of time to turn it around. I think that the losses of Reese & Slade have really disrupted this team's chemistry, though, at least for a little while. I totally disagreed with trading Reese for McArdle, as it always seemed that Reese was a leader to many players in the locker room as well as on the ice. As for Slade, I can understand his gripe about playing time... After all, he helped lead the way to the Memorial Cup Tournament last season *without* the benefit of a back-door entrance. I do understand Hay's reasoning in alternating goaltenders like he did, but it was not the best decision. Sexsmith is having difficulty, thus far, adjusting to playing nearly every game, whereas Slade was better when doing so. Every goalie is different; some get better as they get more playing time, and some do not.
------------

Also, there *is* such a thing as *too many* trades, to make a team "better".

That's what worries me about the Silvertips... I hope that they don't make any hasty trades in the next month, which disrupts the chemistry of the team.

dondo
12-06-2006, 10:19 PM
um no bigern .. it would take up a 20 year old spot we can use better, and Neufeld has yet to let in a goal playing for the Giants :p

if Moir is so great why are you so anxious to get rid of him? :thumb:

Kassian
12-07-2006, 12:01 AM
Do you agree now that Kyle Moir might have been a good choice instead of Blaine Neufeld?

Of course Moir would be a better fit. But why go out and trade for him now when the Giants could get him for less near the deadline? That is of course if goaltending is still an issue at that point.

Send Brendan Mikkelson down here to Swifty, and we'll send Moissy up there to Vancouver. HAhahaheheheee

The way Mikkelson is playing lately we'd have to give you a lot more in return. ;)

N.W. Bruin
12-07-2006, 01:02 AM
Couldn't find anything in it to disagree with even though you said try and find something. All the guys you pointed at for being disappointments I have to concur with. If I had to rank them I would put Spencer at the top and Kyle at the bottom. Throw Tim in the middle to higher up and Cody towards the bottom. Though he has done well overall this season with his talent he should be performing at a high level almost all the time. I left the game yesterday like I told you really disappointed and discouraged because it looked like the team for the most part on the whole was not interested in playing.

Big Ern
12-07-2006, 10:03 PM
Of course Moir would be a better fit. But why go out and trade for him now when the Giants could get him for less near the deadline? That is of course if goaltending is still an issue at that point.

Honestly now, I don't think goaltending is your problem in Giantsville. Your guys are just getting over-confident, and thinking they'll win just by being on the ice. That's what happened to highly touted Regina Pats this season. That's why they're where they're at right now. Don't worry, the G-men will soon realize that they have to play to win. The team they have is just unbelievable. I'm sure Sexsmith can handle the goalie's duties quite well. And hey! They're not allowing too many goals in the games they've lost, they just need to score more to win....no I don't think goaltending is your problem there right now...honestly.

dondo
12-08-2006, 10:17 PM
no we've been spoiled bigern and we actually know it, but I prefer it when the team plays with real effort and a will to win than to float and hope for a win.

That's not Giants hockey in my experience and that's definitely not a Don Hay team.

Carebear
12-09-2006, 01:25 PM
so did they redeem themselves last night!??! :groovy:

Hope they can keep it up and do it again tonight!

dondo
12-10-2006, 01:46 AM
well they did and you were there CB -- so maybe you need to come to more games :p

Carebear
12-10-2006, 02:04 AM
well they did and you were there CB -- so maybe you need to come to more games :p

I know, I know! lol
You're not the only one who has said that.

I'll try my best.