PDA

View Full Version : Matt Esposito Traded To The Bruins

MidgetAAA
12-07-2006, 09:27 PM
The Briuns have traded for Matt Esposito from the Everett Silvertips.He will be in Chilly Friday Afternoon.

Redwic
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
I do not see this mentioned on any other website, or confirmed by the Silvertips, Bruins, Sherwood Park Crusaders, and WHL (at least, not yet).

Kristi
12-07-2006, 10:41 PM
I do not see this mentioned on any other website, or confirmed by the Silvertips, Bruins, Sherwood Park Crusaders, and WHL (at least, not yet).

I posted this on the Bruins forum here and he said the source was Matt himself.

Coyote14
12-08-2006, 02:13 AM
Aside from the not knowing if this is rumour or fact... has he ever played any games in Everett? If so, how is does he look. Would he be playing starter, backup or be used for future plans in Chilliwack?

nivek_wahs
12-08-2006, 02:28 AM
Here's Matt's WHL profile...

http://whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=24465

Redwic
12-08-2006, 07:41 AM
Aside from the not knowing if this is rumour or fact... has he ever played any games in Everett? If so, how is does he look. Would he be playing starter, backup or be used for future plans in Chilliwack?

I always liked Matt Esposito. His biggest problem has always been lack of playing time/ experience. Although he was not drafted by the Silvertips, but he still looked like the best choice when several other (drafted) guys were all vying to become the backup goaltender for Irving last season, as well as before this season.

When he was our backup last season, he did very well in the few times that he played, despite being the smallest guy on the ice at that time. He has since grown a little. Irving got hurt right when the Western Conference Finals (against the Giants) were about to start, and Esposito was forced to play in his absence. After not playing very often, he definitely was not properly prepared to face such a formidable team in such a high-stress environment, and his teammates did not have confidence in his abilities as a result. After the Giants stomped on him in the Conference Finals, there were many questions in the offseason about Esposito's confidence; many thought that it was shattered.

Entering this pre-season, Esposito once again looked like the backup-to-be. However, after the season started, the Silvertips opted to trade a draft pick for David Reekie, an older & more experienced goaltender. The organization did not want to take a chance with what happened last season to happen again this season. That, plus Esposito *still* would not get much playing time and develop properly while being backup to Irving (who is a workhorse).

Esposito was sent to the Sherwood Park Crusaders of the Alberta Junior Hockey League, where he found a lot of playing time and excelled. He was the league's top goaltender while there, posting a 2.03 GAA & .930 Save % while playing there. He is a quality goaltender with a lot of upside. He is also a quality person, and the Chilliwack Bruins (as well as their fans) will like him a lot. I wish him only the best, and I hope that everything works out for him.

Tipped Off
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Tips deal backup goalie for draft pick

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The Matt Esposito era is over in Everett.

The Everett Silvertips traded their former backup goaltender Thursday, sending Esposito to Chilliwack in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft.

"We've got what we think is the top goaltending tandem in the league with Leland Irving and David Reekie," Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said. "Espo's been playing well in the Alberta junior league and had drawn some attention. He has experience in this league and I think (the Bruins) were looking for a younger guy who could play. I know Espo wanted to be in this league this year, and this gives Espo a chance to get back in the league."

Esposito, a 17-year-old from Edmonton, Alberta, was the unexpected winner in the battle to back up Irving last season. A diminutive but active goaltender who was popular with his teammates, Esposito made just a handful of starts last season, going 3-5-1-0 with a 2.48 goals against average and .904 save percentage. When Irving was sidelined with a groin injury during the playoffs, Esposito made three starts against Vancouver, losing all three while giving up 10 goals.

Esposito began this season again as Irving's backup. However, he was reassigned after Everett traded for Reekie on Oct. 10.

Esposito joins a team that has two veterans in goal in 20-year-old Jim Watt and 19-year-old Alex Archibald. Acquiring Esposito allows Chilliwack to move one of its veterans.

Esposito's trade also indicates the Silvertips feel fellow 17-year-old Shayne Barrie is the better prospect.

"We like both boys," Soetaert said about Esposito and Barrie. "They're both solid citizens and solid goaltenders. It was a tough decision.

"I like (Barrie's) size, I like the way he moves," Soetaert added. "We feel over time that Shayne can carry the club here."

Barrie is joining the team Sunday after Irving departs for Canada's selection camp for the World Junior Hockey Championships. He'll serve as Reekie's backup until Irving returns.

Slap shots: Everett center Damir Alic is back to practicing at full speed. Alic, who suffered a separated shoulder on Nov. 5 against Kamloops, will not play this weekend. However, he could be available next week. ... Former Silvertip defenseman Zach Sim has landed in Tri-City. The 18-year-old Sim, who played in 62 games with Everett the past two seasons, was released after not making the opening-day roster.

Tipped Off
12-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Tips deal backup goalie for draft pick

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - The Matt Esposito era is over in Everett.

The Everett Silvertips traded their former backup goaltender Thursday, sending Esposito to Chilliwack in exchange for a fourth-round pick in the 2007 bantam draft.

"We've got what we think is the top goaltending tandem in the league with Leland Irving and David Reekie," Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said. "Espo's been playing well in the Alberta junior league and had drawn some attention. He has experience in this league and I think (the Bruins) were looking for a younger guy who could play. I know Espo wanted to be in this league this year, and this gives Espo a chance to get back in the league."

Esposito, a 17-year-old from Edmonton, Alberta, was the unexpected winner in the battle to back up Irving last season. A diminutive but active goaltender who was popular with his teammates, Esposito made just a handful of starts last season, going 3-5-1-0 with a 2.48 goals against average and .904 save percentage. When Irving was sidelined with a groin injury during the playoffs, Esposito made three starts against Vancouver, losing all three while giving up 10 goals.

Esposito began this season again as Irving's backup. However, he was reassigned after Everett traded for Reekie on Oct. 10.

Esposito joins a team that has two veterans in goal in 20-year-old Jim Watt and 19-year-old Alex Archibald. Acquiring Esposito allows Chilliwack to move one of its veterans.

Esposito's trade also indicates the Silvertips feel fellow 17-year-old Shayne Barrie is the better prospect.

"We like both boys," Soetaert said about Esposito and Barrie. "They're both solid citizens and solid goaltenders. It was a tough decision.

"I like (Barrie's) size, I like the way he moves," Soetaert added. "We feel over time that Shayne can carry the club here."

Barrie is joining the team Sunday after Irving departs for Canada's selection camp for the World Junior Hockey Championships. He'll serve as Reekie's backup until Irving returns.

Slap shots: Everett center Damir Alic is back to practicing at full speed. Alic, who suffered a separated shoulder on Nov. 5 against Kamloops, will not play this weekend. However, he could be available next week. ... Former Silvertip defenseman Zach Sim has landed in Tri-City. The 18-year-old Sim, who played in 62 games with Everett the past two seasons, was released after not making the opening-day roster.