PDA

View Full Version : Miss

Crosby rules
12-10-2006, 10:33 AM
Do the Vancouver Giants fans miss Dustin Slade? Does the organization miss him? I guess he was a sort of a saviour last season. But the whole team played well.

Soundy
12-10-2006, 12:07 PM
Do the fans miss him? Sure, a bit... but Tyson Sexsmith is no slouch either. Got himself the goose egg last night. No complaints here!

Knuckles Muldoon
12-10-2006, 12:50 PM
Yes, I do miss him. And in truth, he should still be here. He gives the team a swagger they have lacked since he left. But kids will make some strange decisions.

GF71
12-10-2006, 01:21 PM
Do the Vancouver Giants fans miss Dustin Slade? Does the organization miss him? I guess he was a sort of a saviour last season. But the whole team played well.

The fans? Some do, some do not.
The team (Management) ? Absolutley Not. It was a bitter parting of ways so to speak.

hockeyisbest
12-10-2006, 01:25 PM
The team players want him back, he adds alot of fun to the dressing room the bus and always plays to win

GF71
12-10-2006, 01:28 PM
The team players want him back, he adds alot of fun to the dressing room the bus and always plays to win

Funny most of the players that I talk to on a regular basis tell a pretty different tale...

Crosby rules
12-10-2006, 02:24 PM
Yeah, good ol' team mates. friendly to your face, but when your back is turned.........................

BruinsFan19
12-10-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah, good ol' team mates. friendly to your face, but when your back is turned.........................

Guess he shouldn't have turned his back on them then eh?

Crosby rules
12-10-2006, 05:25 PM
Ya gotta do whats best for yourself at times man.

Kassian
12-10-2006, 06:03 PM

Then why didn't Slade toughen it out and stick with the team?

It's quite obvious he didn't do what's best for him.

To answer the question at hand, no I don't really miss Slade. Based on everything that has happened I'd rather not have somebody like that on my team.

BruinsFan19
12-10-2006, 06:22 PM

Then expect people to not think so kindly of you.

scrunt
12-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Well, I'll admit I miss Dustin. I go to the games to be entertained,and he was a part of that. I loved the way he challenged the shooter, and he made the game exciting in a positive way (unlike Marek "The Adventure" Schwarz, who made it exciting in a bad way).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Sexsmith as well, and indeed I typically admire solid technical goalies like Tyson over those that make things more exciting than they need to be, but Dustin was fun to watch.

At the end of the day, however, Dustin took the selfish route that looks like it may backfire on him, and I won't shed any tears over that. He bailed on his team, and that is unforgivable. If he was unhappy, he could have asked for a trade, but kept his end of the deal and played as asked. Sure the Giants might have only gotten a sixth round pick, but that's more than they did get.

No doubt Dustin will get a job in Germany, develop a new legion of fans, and make a decent living until he's 30, then, who knows? But the man without a plan is now gone, it's time to move on. :dead:

superfan
12-10-2006, 07:44 PM
where is slade at the moment

Carebear
12-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Funny most of the players that I talk to on a regular basis tell a pretty different tale...

Have to agree on this one.

Anyways, personally, I don't miss him at all. I did at first, but unless someone brings him up, I kinda forget about him, in fact I didn't even mention him or think about him once at the game on Saturday.

old_time_hockey
12-11-2006, 12:25 PM
I was standing with a beer watching the warm up and these 2 guys were standing there and one turns to the other and says "Where is Slade? Is he hurt".

I felt like going all D-X on them "Oh you didn't know" :laugh:

His buddy told him the story.

Now here is my interesting twist to this. What if Slade comes crawling back through the doggie door with the full understanding that now Sexsmith has the starting role and Slade will have to be content playing only 20-30% of the games? To play as a typical backup just to give the starter a rest.

Because frankly, I am a tad worried since Neufeld went down. We are in a Canuck situation. If Luongo goes down, they are screwed. If (knocks on thickest chunk of wood I can find) Sexsmith gets hurt before Neufeld comes back, we are stuck with 2 call up goalies. That isn't a very comfortable position. And if they aren't going to give Barnstable a start to give Sexy a rest, the chances of him getting hurt increase.

If Slade was religated to fulltime backup, at least we have some insurance sitting on the bench. I think the humiliation to have to crawling back and the chorus of boos in his first start will be enough shame to keep him in check with the other guys in the room that I am sure still harbour some pissed off feelings towards Slade.

witness
12-11-2006, 01:31 PM
Every story has two sides. Give Dustin a break. He is a very intelligent kid. The fact that the Giants have not given him his release, tells me there might be some management ego in the way. So just maybe, Dustin may have had a point.

old_time_hockey
12-11-2006, 03:50 PM
I said that from day 1.

This appears to be a case of miscommunication on both sides. That Slade was told one thing then the opposite happened. Perhaps Slade had a different understanding from what managment told him. But who will ever know other than Slade and managment?

rinkrat
12-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Every story has two sides. Give Dustin a break. He is a very intelligent kid. The fact that the Giants have not given him his release, tells me there might be some management ego in the way. So just maybe, Dustin may have had a point.

I agree,for Mgt not to release him is bizarre,time for our intrepid reporter(GF71) to do some digging! :thumb:

Beaner
12-11-2006, 06:55 PM

Or management figures they may be able to actually trade him.

GF71
12-11-2006, 08:20 PM
I agree,for Mgt not to release him is bizarre,time for our intrepid reporter(GF71) to do some digging! :thumb:

Haha... gotta go to the beat for that.

Swando
12-12-2006, 12:28 AM

Would not another WHL be able to pick him up if he was outright released? What if a Kamloops (they don't need him but just an example) or PG were to take him and stone us in the play-offs. I think the Giants are protecting against that type of scenerio.