PDA

View Full Version : Ams, Winter Hawks get all nice and cozy

HAF
12-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Ams, Winter Hawks get all nice and cozy

This story was published Sunday, December 10th, 2006

By Annie Fowler, Herald staff writer

The Tri-City Americans have played Spokane five times, Seattle four times, Everett twice and Portland ... well, they haven't gotten around to the Winter Hawks yet.

But starting today, the Americans (18-11-0-0) will feel like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day when they start a five-game stretch against the Winter Hawks with nothing but a visit from Santa Claus to break up the monotony.

After today's game at Toyota Center, the Winter Hawks return to the Tri-Cities on Friday. The Americans travel to Portland on Saturday, then break for Christmas. On Dec. 27, the Winter Hawks return to Kennewick, followed by a trip to Portland the following day.

The Western Hockey League schedule makers must have thought no one would notice the five consecutive games, but the players picked up on the scheduling blunder right away.

"It's pretty odd to play five times in a row," said Americans team captain Alex Aldred, a former Winter Hawk. "Especially when you haven't played them at all. You think they could have gotten another team in there."

Richard Doerksen, the Western Hockey League's vice president of hockey, said things like this are bound to happen once in a while.

"It's unique. I can't remember teams playing five at a time," Doerksen said. "It's one of those quirks of the scheduling process. I don't think that it would ever have happened without a break like Christmas in between. Really, it's a three-game stretch, then two."

Call it what you will, it's still a scheduling mistake.

"When you see a team that often, you get to know them on a personal level," said Tri-City coach Don Nachbaur. "Just like the playoffs."

But it's not the playoffs, and as the standings reflect, the Winter Hawks are 14 points out of fourth place.

Portland (9-20-0-1), which has lost five straight, have been toiling away at the bottom of the U.S. Division all season.

Still, they have a chance to play spoiler to keep the Americans from picking up some much-needed points to stay in second place behind Everett in the division standings.

But Nachbaur has another plan.

"We have a 17-point lead on them and I'd like to take that to 21 or 23 before Christmas," Nachbaur said.

Tri-Cities has maintained its place in the division standings despite injuries, and the team will have to hold down the fort without starting goalie Carey Price (Canada) and Slovakian rookie defenseman Juraj Valach, who will be vying for spots on their respective countries' World Junior Championship teams.

"We are proud to have guys that good on our team," Nachbaur said. "You'd like to see them make the teams and win a gold medal -- at least one of them can."

Chet Pickard will take over in Price's absence, at least for the next three games. If Price is selected to Team Canada, Pickard could find himself with the next 10 starts.

"I sure hope Chet is ready," Nachbaur said. "He will be the guy."

Valach, who got off to a slow start at the beginning of the season, has been one of the best players on the ice as of late, with three goals and 11 assists in the last 13 games. He also has been a valuable asset on the power play.

"He's come a long way this season," Nachbaur said.

HAF
12-10-2006, 03:59 PM
Anyone care to predict how many points we'll get out of this 5 game series?

I'm going to go with 8 out of 10. Tonights score will be 4-1.

LifelongChiefsFan
12-10-2006, 11:40 PM
That's insane, I don't think I've ever seen anything like that scheduling wise before. Even with the break it wouldn't suprise me if the last few games of this "series" were filled with plenty of fights. Should be interesting to see how it all plays out.

To be honest I wasn't expecting a Portland win tonight. But I'll take it, especially since it means the Chiefs can jump into 2nd with any kind of point against Everett on Wednesday, even if only for a coupe of days. :thumb: However, Tri-City is the better team and I think they'll go 3-0-1 in the final 4 against the Hawks.

HAF
12-11-2006, 02:52 AM
That was sure a pisser of an effort tonight. the D was sloppy, the passing pretty weak and they seemed to underestimate the Hawks right up until they were facing a 4 goal deficit. They played a good third period but it was too little too late. Pickard was pretty shaky tonight and needs to give his head a shake about having to hand over net assignment to a very green but impressive Kyle Jahraus tonight.

Boogaards one punch victory was pretty impressive over McClaren as was Colton "the bruiser" Yellowhorns first fight in an Am's jersey.

Stay-Puft
12-11-2006, 04:37 PM
Did anyone else notice that Valach, who is supposed to be away at his junior team tryouts, was in the lineup last night? That's some pretty good research.

Anyway, I hope Chet can get things turned before the weekend. That's the 3rd game this year he's been pulled, the 2nd when Price has been gone. Jahraus might just get a start this weekend if Friday becomes another game like last night.