PDA

View Full Version : Billets of the Giants

Swando
12-12-2006, 12:32 AM
I've always been curious about the billets. Where do most of these Billets live and what are their requirements to being a billet. I was told that many are from the Maple Ridge area. If this is true I would hate the commute to Ladner arena for practise. I'm think the majority would be from the Ladner area for this reason. Appreciate the info from those in the know or maybe from a billet themselves.

Knuckles Muldoon
12-12-2006, 01:23 AM
I believe they are all in the Ladner area, even for guys like Lamb, Hunt, Lucic, etc. whose families live elsewhere in the lower mainland.

Carebear
12-12-2006, 02:50 AM
I was under the impression that they're all in Ladner/Tswaassen (I probably spelt that wrong).

old_time_hockey
12-12-2006, 12:27 PM
I know Mitch Czibere's billet. They also had Dulle for a bit last season. And they were the billet for Stewart Thiessen.

They live in Tsawassen. But it is true that billets have to be in the Ladner/Tsawassen area.

They basically get $300 or 400/mo (forget which) to offset the cost of the player being in their home (ie food, electical bill for hot tub party that I don't know if I am allowed to get into ;) , etc.) as well they get season tickets. They all sit in Sec. P together.

The family has to have a private bedroom for the player. No sharing with other kids. I think the team has a little tour of your home when you apply to make sure that it is a good environment for the player to be in. And basically they treat them as their own child.

When they are home they eat meals with you. That is the other thing. The family has to commit to cooking a balanced meal which includes protein and carbs. So if you are a veggie or atkins person, you have to provide the player with stuff that you wouldn't eat. The family I know if they are running late often times they will leave money on the counter with a note "Something came up, won't be home for dinner, head to Whitespot or somewhere.....AND ORDER HEALTHY".

The other role that the billet family plays is keeping tabs on curfew times. I understand that it is the captain and assistants job to call players shortly after curfew to make sure everyone is at home. And then sometimes Don Hay calls the billets to make sure that the captains are doing their job.

But with the younger players often times the billets are part councilor too. The younger guys often get homesick, trying to keep long distance relationships with a GF that fail. Pressures of fulltime hockey and highschool. Many talks about life and personal experiences have taken place at dining room tables.

The person I know said sometimes a group of players will come over and just want to veg in the backyard or den or play cards or what not. Sort of everyday teenager stuff. He said they are all really pollite and fun to have at your house. Get to chat with them. Really it is just like their home away from home and often times there are strong bonds built and they keep in touch when the player moves on. Especially if you have children the players age and they hang out together and become like brother or sister.

From hearing about my friends experiences if someday I have the room to host a player, I would.

Carebear
12-12-2006, 02:00 PM
I've known for awhile that when I'm an old lady I'll billet. What better way to help out a kid trying to follow his dreams.

dondo
12-12-2006, 02:58 PM
^ not to mention keeping your aspirations of puck-bunnydom alive and well -- eh CB? :thumb: dancing pi

thanks for that OTH I was wondering what a bunch of that stuff was -- kudos to the families opening their homes to these young kids, this is the one of the best aspect of community support imo -- as the families may get a nice experience, but I'm sure the monthly stipend does not make it a financial boon of any sort and barely covers what these guys eat -- lol

Carebear
12-12-2006, 03:00 PM
^ I'll already be married by then, sheesh!

Gilbert_Brule_Fan
12-12-2006, 03:03 PM

does garet know that yet? :D haha

dondo
12-12-2006, 03:06 PM

doesn't mean you can't still look at the menu nhl :thumb:

old_time_hockey
12-12-2006, 03:08 PM
does garet know that yet? :D haha

Bwahahahahaha!!!!

Carebear
12-12-2006, 04:05 PM
OH HUSH!

All of you!

Anyways, friend of mine's parents are billets for a BCHL team, and you've got to be ready financially, the compensation they give you barely covers the food, let alone extra utlities, gas for vehicles and everything else! But of course, one would expect you aren't doing it for the money anyways!

DO IT FOR THE DREAM! lol

I tried convincing my parents to billet for our BCHL team, that was a no go. Jerks.

GF71
12-12-2006, 04:29 PM
^ not to mention keeping your aspirations of puck-bunnydom alive and well -- eh CB? :thumb: dancing pi

Ok...that was PURE GOLD. I almost feel off of my chair. punk rock Gotta appriciate somebody who speaks the truth and calls it as they see it. Beautiful.

SectionNDeserter
12-12-2006, 06:00 PM
^ not to mention keeping your aspirations of puck-bunnydom alive and well -- eh CB?Ha ha, a cougar in puck-bunny's clothing! :laugh:

scrunt
12-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Ha ha, a cougar in puck-bunny's clothing! :laugh:

Wow, that's classic! :laugh: :laugh:

Carebear
12-12-2006, 08:18 PM
Ok...that was PURE GOLD. I almost feel off of my chair. punk rock Gotta appriciate somebody who speaks the truth and calls it as they see it. Beautiful.

I thought puckbunnies slutted themselves to players?
Hmmm...

rinkrat
12-12-2006, 08:21 PM
they're just teasing ya CareBear. ;)
Besides how many puckbunnies are capable of talking hockey on a message board,let alone working a computer? :D

Carebear
12-12-2006, 08:25 PM
they're just teasing ya CareBear. ;)
Besides how many puckbunnies are capable of talking hockey on a message board,let alone working a computer? :D

They really aren't. It gets tiresome. Because I'm a young girl who likes to watch hockey and happens to find a couple players hot...Im automatically a PB?

Okay, tell ya what, for those of you who think I am, if you can name 1 person who's a player, who I have hooked up with..I'll admit defeat. Till then, realize that girls can enjoy hockey too.

PS Rinkrat, Actually I recently found an entire message board of them..pretty sure they're either taking over the world, or have NO life other than to gossip about who has slept with who, and who has the smallest...yah, frighteningly enough, it exists.

dondo
12-12-2006, 08:34 PM
meh -- CB we know you knows hockey jist as good as us knuckle-draggers

.. its all in fun -- sooo.. suck it up princess :D :wave:

and actually we are (just teasing)

Carebear
12-12-2006, 08:35 PM
meh -- CB we know you knows hockey jist as good as us knuckle-draggers

.. its all in fun -- sooo.. suck it up princess :D :wave:

and actually we are (just teasing)

You're so getting beat up on Friday. Just you wait, I'll be calling you gimpy again pretty soon! OH GEEZ..I'm not in my normal seats though..thats okay..I KNOW WHERE YOU SIT!

And I realize some of you are joking, but others, not so sure.

BACK TO BILLET TALK!

dondo
12-12-2006, 08:41 PM
lol -- bring it on girlie! dancing pi :D

but really you do like the boys, but you know hockey -- and you contribute to the sport as well -- so you yourself know that I (for one) was just teasing

btw true pbs don't know hockey (usually) they just like the boys

so how about we call you 1/2 a pb and leave it at that :p sorry CB couldn't resist.

anyway -- the contribution that the billet families make are essential for the whole system to work and I for one applaud them for stepping up and giving back to the community and helping a young man in his formative years, often far away from home.

rinkrat
12-12-2006, 08:59 PM
PS Rinkrat, Actually I recently found an entire message board of them..pretty sure they're either taking over the world, or have NO life other than to gossip about who has slept with who, and who has the smallest...yah, frighteningly enough, it exists.
Oh ya,I saw that site once.Holy...it was a frightening experience,kinda like the grey board I looked at once.No shortage of weirdo's thats for sure. :spineyes:

dondo
12-12-2006, 09:17 PM
well at least they congregate in the one place makes it easier to keep track :D :karate:

old_time_hockey
12-13-2006, 01:05 AM
You're so getting beat up on Friday. Just you wait, I'll be calling you gimpy again pretty soon! OH GEEZ..I'm not in my normal seats though..thats okay..I KNOW WHERE YOU SIT!

And I realize some of you are joking, but others, not so sure.

BACK TO BILLET TALK!

YES!!!! I'll have a birds eye seat for the rumble!!!! If ya need a ref, give me a call. I don't call BS hooking calls. But I draw the line at eye poking.

old_time_hockey
12-13-2006, 01:12 AM
Back on topic, I was talking to my friend tonight and remembered a story he told me about his son.

Mitch Czibere and his son became buddies. Only 2 years appart in age so they had lots in common. So much so that during the summer, he went to Alberta to spend some time with Mitch at his family home. And then during the season Mitch's parents come here to watch a few games. They were going to get a hotel but the billet family said no, no. You are coming to stay with us.

Those kind of bonds and friendships are so cool and the reason that some day I hope to host a junior player.

Section_Z
12-13-2006, 01:41 AM
Billeting as a whole is a great concept for league sports. One of my fondest memories in my minor league days is heading to McBride for a weekend tournament and billeting with a guy (and his family) on the McBride team. It's that knid of family commitment that keeps our Great Game alive in this country.

Carebear
12-13-2006, 01:11 PM
My friend used to have a billet who they've kept in great contact with. His family even considered my friend a part of their family as well. And even though that player is now playing in Italy, they still keep in touch with him.

BruinsFan19
12-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Are you talking about Katie?