PDA

View Full Version : Tips-Warriors Trade

Sabes
12-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Everett has acquired defenceman Jesse Zetariuk and forward Carter Smith from the Moose Jaw Warriors. In return the Silvertips send defenseman Cody Thoring, forward Brady Calla and a 2008 6th Round Draft Pick to Moose Jaw

http://www.everettsilvertips.com/news/story.cfm?ID=686

Highlander_Yank
12-12-2006, 01:12 PM
With Thoring going, I wonder who'll wear the "C" now? Hamill? Harty?

Beaner
12-12-2006, 01:31 PM
With Thoring going, I wonder who'll wear the "C" now? Hamill? Harty?

Mueller I would think.

scrunt
12-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Wow, bad timing for Brady Calla, as he would otherwise have been playing in front of a lot of family in Vancouver this Friday with the Tips coming to town. :(

dondo
12-12-2006, 08:19 PM
looks like the 'Tips are addressing size issues and maybe recognize the need for a more rugged element to the their game in the playoffs.

big trade -- both teams seem to get what they want, but I can see that one hurting to pull.

rinkrat
12-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Wow, bad timing for Brady Calla, as he would otherwise have been playing in front of a lot of family in Vancouver this Friday with the Tips coming to town. :(

Moose Jaw is in town Jan 3 :)

scrunt
12-12-2006, 09:25 PM
Moose Jaw is in town Jan 3 :)

Well everything's fine then! ;)

(btw, thanks for pointing that out and making me look silly)

hitsomebody
12-13-2006, 12:17 AM
So here's the scoop: the trade appears to have been basically calla for zetariuk with thoring and smith thrown in to balance things out. i know many fans would've rather seen fransoo go than thoring (those two being the only really tradable defensemen), but fransoo is clearly the better player so it was a good call to trade cody. Not that i dont find it regrettable that the last original 'tip - and team captain and all-around great guy - was traded but it makes the most sense in terms of the deal.

Concerning calla, i always liked the way he played (like marc desloges, my favorite of all time) but for the amount of talent he has he just wasnt producing enough. This trade certainly isnt an upgrade at the forward position, but that was addressed in the gendur trade anyway (steal of a deal if first impressions mean anything) and after calla moving to the third line u could see it coming from a mile away.

Finally, i'd like to say the whole deal appears to have been unecessary anyway, it's not like our defense was struggling :) , and a good defensive team doesnt suddenly become a bad one just because they dont have a huge defenseman during the playoffs. But if the silvertips felt it was necessary to acquire this type of player then this deal was the best possible way to do that.

P.S.
I love parentheses ( :) )

Redwic
12-13-2006, 01:57 AM
Finally, i'd like to say the whole deal appears to have been unecessary anyway, it's not like our defense was struggling :) , and a good defensive team doesnt suddenly become a bad one just because they dont have a huge defenseman during the playoffs.

That's not exactly true. The Silvertips were manhandled by the Giants in the playoffs last season. In fact, it was known all of last season that the Silvertips lacked in toughness. During the offseason, toughness was still a concern, and it was well known that the Silvertips were lacking a big, strong defenseman who was not afraid to defend his teammates. Players like Potuer and Fransoo came back to the team this season bigger & stronger than ever, and their numbers also help reflect their adjustments. Players like Harty did not grow much in physical size, but have really taken to (vocal) leadership and true grit this season. Thoring, on the other hand, did not make such strides in the offseason.

Acquiring Zetariuk should ultimately prove to be a great move for the Silvertips. Not only is he just the type of defenseman that they have been lacking & needing... big, tough, and not afraid to defend his teammates... he also brings experience and offensive capabilities. He *is* just the type of defenseman that a team wants during the playoffs, especially when facing tough physical competition such as the Giants. It's still a team effort, but one player could provide the missing piece in the Memorial Cup puzzle.