PDA

View Full Version : Seattle 2 @ Giants 3 Dec 13th

dondo
12-14-2006, 01:20 AM
well I suppose I will start this thread as I was there and just completed my recap. No fisticuffs this evening and it took some individual efforts by Lamb, Lucic and Kraus to get the home team the W.

enjoy

and -- discuss.. :thumb:

Giants Nip T-Birds
Vancouver 3 Seattle 2

The Giants suited up a less skilled line-up tonight and at times it showed. Cody Franson, Brendan Mikkelson and Kendall McArdle are all away vying for a spot on the Canadian squad for the World Junior tournament. Euros Michal Repik and Mario Bliznak are trying out for the Czech Republic and the Slovakian rosters, respectively. The very sparse crowd had their first look at this years 1st round bantam pick, Evander Kane sporting Jason Reese’s old number 9 on his jersey. Kane is no stranger to big games as he has major tournament experience at all the levels he’s played. Tonight was also an opportunity for some of the young depth players to step up in minutes and responsibility and for the most part they all fared well in the game. Brent Regner filling a fourth D spot did especially well with the extra minutes and was a force all over the ice, garnering two assists on the evening and proving to be very solid on the back-end defensively as well.

The Giants opened the scoring at 3:26 of the first. Brent Regner fed JD Watt in the neutral zone and the rugged right winger cut into the Thunderbird zone and drove the net. Derek Yeomans made the initial stop but Kyle Lamb standing at the side of the net snapped home the rebound as Watt tumbled over Yeomans. The Giants continued to press hard throughout the first, but to no avail as Yeomans boarded up the net giving his team a chance to come back in the game. The home squad had a few lapses and the shoddy and inconsistent officiating didn’t help either team, as the players had no clue was and was not going to called. Both Andrew Guest and Pat Smith were guilty of letting something go only to call virtually the same thing at the opposite end of the ice. The first would end up with the Giants up by one, and leading the shot clock 13-4.

The T-Birds came out harder in the second, challenged the Giants in their own end and worked more aggressively along the boards. Curiously it wasn’t the young guys but the veterans who seemed to have the most trouble with the onslaught. Tyson Sexsmith was not stellar, but he played his usually solid game turning away 11 T-Bird shots and weathered a few PP opportunities from the visitors. Where the T-Birds challenged the puck carriers the Giants took away the shooting lanes and spent a lot of the game blocking shots and playing a patient game which would catch up with them in the third. The G-Men threw a mere 5 shots on Yeomans in the second and it would almost prove to be their undoing.

Seemingly content to sit on the lead the Giants were worked hard in their own end and gave the Seattle squad life. On a delayed penalty, barely over a minute into the third, the Giants failed to get possession of the puck and the Thunderbirds put the pressure on down low as they iced the extra attacker. Thomas Hickey protected the puck and got it to Bud Holloway who, as he usually does, found Aaron Gagnon cutting across the slot. Gagnon made no mistake getting it past Sexsmith to tie the game. Just 2:10 later the Giants got caught standing around in their own end, but it was mostly because they assumed that an icing was going to be called. Sexsmith raised his arm indicating an icing as the puck cruised past him behind the net. The linesman did not blow the whistle failing in the process to either signal an icing or waive it off and as a result Gagnon was first to the puck and was able to return the favour to his line-mate Holloway. Bud cut to the right face-off dot and flipped the puck past Sexsmith giving the T-Birds their first lead of the game. Kudos go to the Giants for not giving in but turning the tide and striving to re-tie the game. The refs meanwhile had put the whistles away in the third ignoring some very blatant penalties they would not have hesitated to call earlier in the game.

The snowball rolled back in the Giants direction and some nice hard hits in the Seattle zone gave the team and the minimal fans (some more interested in having some mindless horn honking contest than to pay attention to the game) a lift. One such hit was beautiful two for one affair with two G-Men squashing a T-Bird lab specimen against the glass in the Seattle zone. Tim Kraus would get the Giants back in the game by tallying a goal scorer’s goal, picking the top corner. Sexsmith launched the puck up ice and Regner tipped the puck to Kraus entering the zone at speed. Kraus drifted right and snapped a beauty top shelf on Yeomans to get the home team back in the game. It would take some time before the Giants would get the go-ahead goal but the fans and team would appreciate how it came about. Milan Lucic gathering the puck in the neutral zone and gaining a head of steam cut hard to the net keeping his arm out and protecting the puck from Scott Jackson who was beat soundly and trying to limit the damage. Lucic drove the net and flicked the puck across to Spencer Machacek waiting on the doorstep on the other side of the crease. Machacek tapped the biscuit into the tin as Lucic barrelled over Yeomans dislodging the net in the process, but not before the puck crossed the line.

The Giants played an up and down game tonight, and could have found themselves on the other side of the score sheet were they to have not had some strong individual efforts from players, like Kraus, Lucic and Lamb. Their PP was anaemic as they did not get any traffic in front of the net on the man-advantage, and were out worked as the T-Birds confidently challenged the puck carrier the instant they had the puck. Tyson Sexsmith was good, and Yeomans was better, but in the end it was thanks to some individuals stepping up and choosing to drive to the net instead of relying on the pretty pass. The Giants are saying that they have to get those kinds of goals, yet I find myself watching them play far too much along the boards and not crowding the crease like I think they should. Greasy goals or not they all count and I think the Giants need to re-discover what it is to be a team that other teams fear. Last year teams feared the Giants coming into their building, this there is a lot less of that than I was hoping to see. If the G-Men play the kind of game they played tonight versus the Silvertips on Friday they will not fare as well as they did this evening.

The shots were 30-28 in favour of the home squad and neither team were able to pop one in on the PP, with the Giants going 0 for 6 and the T-Birds 0 for 8. Next game the Giants take on the Everett Silvertips, on their annual teddy bear toss night. The ‘Tips will probably be without top goaltender Leland Irving as he will be at the tryout camp but sniper Peter Mueller, who has already been named to the US squad, will suit up for the Everett side. The puck drops at 7:30pm local time on Friday December 15th. Bring your bears to toss for charity.

Three Stars
1 – Milan Lucic
2 – Aaron Gagnon
3 – Kyle Lamb

Swando
12-14-2006, 01:50 AM
How can I delete my post and add it to yours?.. You are a faster typer but then again I stopped for a late dinner!

Jimmy
12-14-2006, 01:56 AM
Did anyone else spot Watt getting his feet tangled up in a towel that he brought out with him from the box? nhl

It was wrong for me to laugh :o

old_time_hockey
12-14-2006, 02:11 AM
Now now Dondo...don't hold back on the ref situation. That is the first time that I have heard and saw you yell at the ref calling him by name.

And I agree that was PATHETIC!! Too many BS calls. Too many things that should have been called like the non-stop T-Bird cross checks let go. Then the other ref feels the need to "even up".

The goal that Kraus sniped was a beauty. Top corner glove side. You could see that goal to pull the Giants even give the team a lift. Then Machacek goal was amazing. Lucic looked like Bertuzzi in his prime. One hand on the stick, sheild the puck with his body and cut to the middle setting up a rebound for Spencer. The big man has wheels, size, hands and knuckles. Nice pick by the Bruins.

I think on the T-Birds go ahead goal Sexsmith should have had it. But makes up for it with his second assist in 2 nights on the Kraus goal.

Good hard working game for the Giants with some very key players off trying to wear the Maple Leaf for Canada on Boxing Day. I'm sure you will make us proud boys. And for you 2 imports Repik and Blizznak. Good luck to you as well...until the tournament starts :burningma

dondo
12-14-2006, 02:17 AM
How can I delete my post and add it to yours?.. You are a faster typer but then again I stopped for a late dinner!
just copy and paste baby!! :D

Once again I'll open this thread with my own personal comments. Others ala Dondo can elaborate. Missed you again tonight Beaner.

I was excited to see this came tonight and caught the full warm-up. Players seemed to be pumped. Kane has a nice shot as does Scholten (big kid).

Giants came out buzzing! They forchecked the TB's relentlessly and were rewared by Lamb's "greasy" goal. Ist period all Giants.
Lines were :
Watt Kraus Lamb
Machakek Wright Lucic
Hunt Czibere Cunningham
Kane Bouma Dulle

2nd period was all TBirds. They pounded the Giants like we did in the 1st and out shot us badly but Sexsmith held us in.

3rd period saw Seattle take control from start again. They scored 2 quick goals early on and I as most others probably thot "it's catching up to us (missing the 5). Then 1/2 through the 3rd we woke up and Kraus scored a beauty with a wrister from the R faceoff circle. That seemed rejuvinate the boys and they poored it on. Lucic set up the 3rd and winning goal on a "great play" He came down the R wing and beat Jackson the Seattle D man on the wide side --he cut to the middle and backhanded a pass across the crease to a charging Machachek who slamed it in prior to the net coming off. This was right in front of me and a great goal!! Giants weathered the storm with Seattle pulling their goalie (Yeomans) plus Lamb off with a double minor for high sticking.

Rap up: I can see the players like the extra ice time and who wouldn't. Hay said Scholtnen was a bit "scared" and they did not want to put him in situations that would hurt him thus he did not play much at all. Toigo played more than normal but still didn't see much icetime. Kane was very energetic and I can see him being a major contribution while he is here and in the up coming years. He has wheels and grit. Kraus's line was double shifted in the 3rd and came up big as did the Wright line.
I thot Flatters had a bad game other than when we was on the PK (I like John) I think Festerling and Blum were great and are going to be 2 tired men after this week. In all glad to see the other half get a lot of ice time . It will benefit the Giants down the road.

Merry Christmas

3 Stars
#1 Lucic
#2 Gagnon
#3 Lamb

I was actually surprised I beat you to it Swando -- as I had a bit of head-scratcher as to how to write-up this game -- and thanks (i think) for the comments OTH -- that's the first time you've heard me call a ref by name? you haven't been listening very closely then ;)

yeah they were kind of sad tonight .. and both Smith and guest kept stadning in front of me what else was I to do? :D

Swando
12-14-2006, 02:25 AM

Here were my thots that Dondo and were working on the same time.

#1 Yesterday, 11:46 PM
Swando
Team Captain

Seattle 2 @ Giants 3 Dec 13

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again I'll open this thread with my own personal comments. Others ala Dondo can elaborate. Missed you again tonight Beaner.

I was excited to see this came tonight and caught the full warm-up. Players seemed to be pumped. Kane has a nice shot as does Scholten (big kid).

Giants came out buzzing! They forchecked the TB's relentlessly and were rewared by Lamb's "greasy" goal. Ist period all Giants.
Lines were :
Watt Kraus Lamb
Machakek Wright Lucic
Hunt Czibere Cunningham
Kane Bouma Dulle

2nd period was all TBirds. They pounded the Giants like we did in the 1st and out shot us badly but Sexsmith held us in.

3rd period saw Seattle take control from start again. They scored 2 quick goals early on and I as most others probably thot "it's catching up to us (missing the 5). Then 1/2 through the 3rd we woke up and Kraus scored a beauty with a wrister from the R faceoff circle. That seemed rejuvinate the boys and they poored it on. Lucic set up the 3rd and winning goal on a "great play" He came down the R wing and beat Jackson the Seattle D man on the wide side --he cut to the middle and backhanded a pass across the crease to a charging Machachek who slamed it in prior to the net coming off. This was right in front of me and a great goal!! Giants weathered the storm with Seattle pulling their goalie (Yeomans) plus Lamb off with a double minor for high sticking.

Rap up: I can see the players like the extra ice time and who wouldn't. Hay said Scholtnen was a bit "scared" and they did not want to put him in situations that would hurt him thus he did not play much at all. Toigo played more than normal but still didn't see much icetime. Kane was very energetic and I can see him being a major contribution while he is here and in the up coming years. He has wheels and grit. Kraus's line was double shifted in the 3rd and came up big as did the Wright line.
I thot Flatters had a bad game other than when we was on the PK (I like John) I think Festerling and Blum were great and are going to be 2 tired men after this week. In all glad to see the other half get a lot of ice time . It will benefit the Giants down the road.

Merry Christmas

3 Stars
#1 Lucic
#2 Gagnon
#3 Lamb

dondo
12-14-2006, 02:28 AM
^ beat you to that as well :p - lol

when Beaner's on he can either merge them or delete one

Swando
12-14-2006, 02:37 AM
^ beat you to that as well :p - lol

when Beaner's on he can either merge them or delete one

Hey it's better to have to many than none at all like last week - when I had to miss my first game this year and nobody commented. I raised H and now we are back in smooth running order. I'm iffy for Friday so I expect a good write up guys/gals

dondo
12-14-2006, 02:47 AM
my feelings exactly. btw I write my recaps separately and then copy and paste them into the post -- that's how I was so quick (which really wasn't terribly quick at all).

have good night Swando

rinkrat
12-14-2006, 09:06 AM
As mentioned earlier,the linesman really blew the call on the 2nd Seattle goal.Edgely cleary was indicating icing all the way down the ice even as the puck crossed the end line.The Giants let up and bing-bang,puck in the back of the net!
Now you can say the players should never let up and play the whistle,but isn't that why they have "no touch" icing in this league?

Evander Kane looked decent for a 15 year old,he had nine shifts,including 30 seconds on the PP.He also ran Olson into the boards in the third,which had me fearing for his safety.LOL
Kane looks like "Beach lite" to me.(much better hockey player than soccer player haha)

Good game over all,alot of character shown by the youngsters,especially Regner!

TheBrass
12-14-2006, 10:02 AM
-- that's the first time you've heard me call a ref by name? you haven't been listening very closely then

Ha Ha Ha Dondo, I don't even check to see who is officiating anymore, I just wait for you to start hollering at them. It's a lot easier than squinting and trying to read the back of the shirt. :laugh:

old_time_hockey
12-14-2006, 11:16 AM
I hear you thump the boards sometimes and say something to them. Maybe it was because the building wasn't that full and the beer league buddies that sit behind me weren't there that always yak yak yak about how they could play better than the victim of their choice on any given night.

One night I finally asked them so how is it that you are better than these guys but never played junior yourself? Didn't really get an answer.

Carebear
12-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Sexsmith got another assist?!?!?!

YAY! :clap:

dondo
12-14-2006, 03:49 PM
Ha Ha Ha Dondo, I don't even check to see who is officiating anymore, I just wait for you to start hollering at them. It's a lot easier than squinting and trying to read the back of the shirt. :laugh:

lol -- oops -- maybe I should tone it down a bit then :laugh:

ah well at least my rants are informative -- also sorry to langdak if I went overboard last night -- i was actually a bit more vocal (how is that possible? you ask? -- well having two different refs both making dumb calls adds to it and watching the team dog it in the second is the other component) than usual.

Carebear
12-14-2006, 05:11 PM
Guess who was reffing last night in Langley?!

MURCHISON! (who, as a side note, looks like he's about 18)

GAH!

langdak
12-14-2006, 05:36 PM
lol -- oops -- maybe I should tone it down a bit then :laugh:

ah well at least my rants are informative -- also sorry to langdak if I went overboard last night -- i was actually a bit more vocal (how is that possible? you ask? -- well having two different refs both making dumb calls adds to it and watching the team dog it in the second is the other component) than usual.

No need to apologize, i was shaking my head more then a few times last night.

Apparantly December 13th is "allow crosschecks to take place" days

I thought that i would have gotten used to the garbage calls this year, but i just cant bring myself to do it

scrunt
12-14-2006, 08:15 PM
-- also sorry to langdak if I went overboard last night --

What about me?? Boogaard'd ;)

I was afraid I'd have to take you to emergency with a broken hand after one of the refs got in your way when we had a scoring chance! :laugh:

Anyway, it was good to see the boys get some success going to the front of the net and getting in the goalie's face. Hopefully they will see the success in that and do more of it in future. Life's been a bit too easy for visiting goalies lately.

dondo
12-14-2006, 08:18 PM
lol -- ^ hey you're used to it -- you said so yourself

they were get in our way most of the night last night -- jeez guys -- spectators here!!! :evil: