PDA

View Full Version : Setoguchi’s world junior dream over

Sput
12-15-2006, 03:23 AM
Friday, December 15, 2006
Setoguchi’s world junior dream over
by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

The second time wasn’t a charm for Devin Setoguchi.

The Prince George Cougars winger received an early morning phone call Thursday that he’d rather have missed — one summoning him to see the coaches of the national junior team.

Cut. Again. The 19-year-old apparently wasn’t what Craig Hartsburg and Team Canada wanted for the world junior tournament. So he beelined it back to Prince George to play this weekend against the Kamloops Blazers.

“It was the famous Hockey Canada routine, the early phone call to go down and talk to the coaches,” Setoguchi said following Cougars practice Thursday.

“They said I didn’t show enough offensive flair at camp. It’s disappointing, but it happened to me last year and I know how to deal with it, I guess. I’ll take it as a slap in the face, use it to fuel the fire and away we go.”

Blazers defenceman Keaten Ellerby, who beat out Cougars blueliner Ty Wishart for one of the Team Canada selection camp spots, was also among the 11 players released Thursday by Hartsburg. Ellerby is due to play this weekend as well.

When Setoguchi, then of the Saskatoon Blades, was released by Brent Sutter’s national juniors a year ago, he returned to the WHL and went on something of a tear. He earned an assist his first game back, and piled up 10 points in the first four games after being cut.

“It’s hard to get cut, so you want to shove it in their face after something like that,” said Setoguchi, who has 20 points in 24 games as a Cougar.

“I know I haven’t had the greatest start to my year, but it’s been tough for me to handle all the things that have been thrown at me the last few months. This is just another hump I have to get over.”

Setoguchi’s arrival back in town brought mixed emotions from Cougars head coach Drew Schoneck.

“I definitely wanted to be watching him on TV, but they have tough decisions to make,” said Schoneck.

“It’s an honour for him to be in the top 39 players in Canada. His attitude has been great about it. He’s disappointed. I brought him into the office — he understands all about it.”

Setoguchi can set his sights on bigger fish, like continuing his progression to the NHL. The signed first-round draft choice of the San Jose Sharks says he’s 100 per cent following an off-season knee problem, but losing valuable summer workout time has negatively affected his leg strength.

“I want to get faster and faster, and I didn’t get to work out with my legs all summer,” said Setoguchi.

“I’ve just got my legs and lungs back, back in shape, and then I get a disapppointing phone call. I’ve been on the road now for 18 days straight, played about 12 games and practiced twice a day for some of those days, so it will be good to get a break over Christmas. It’s been a rough month.”

Setoguchi’s disappointment is not bitterness — he’ll still be cheering for Canada at the world juniors in Sweden.

“They were going in a different direction, that’s all, and it’s a tight competition — they pick the best team, not the best players,” said Setoguchi. “I’ll keep my head up. They’ll have a good team, and there’s no reason they shouldn’t win gold. I wish them the best of luck.”

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
12-15-2006, 11:52 AM
I'm surprised, I Didn't think it would happen 2 years in a row.

Sput
12-15-2006, 06:29 PM
To be honest, I haven't been overly impressed with Seto's play so far this year. Yes he has been recovering from the knee injury, but he's said before he's healed from it. I'm still waiting to see if he'll break out of the slump or not. If he practiced like he has played here, I'm not surprised he was cut. May have gone in with a bit of an "I'm sure to get in this time" attitude and didn't perform the way the coaching wanted to see.

Cougar Guy
12-16-2006, 01:19 AM
Given that we traded away a first rounder and a 1 first round pick for him, I sure hope he starts to pick it up in a BIG way . . .